Toxx Clauses

This forum is for discussion related to the game.
Sleepless Assassin
Sleepless Assassin
Mafia Scum
Sleepless Assassin
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Toxx Clauses

Post Post #0 (isolation #0) » Fri Aug 29, 2014 6:32 am

Post by Sleepless Assassin »

A toxx clause, which is banned on [Redacted, considered advertising?] forums, is when someone says' "If I am scum, I will <Insert something extreme that no one in their right mind would do>. It is banned because it is game breaking. If someone makes a promise to do something that they'd never do, they must be telling the truth and be town or they must be breaking their promise. When you look into a player's morals and character, and they don't seem the type to do the second, you can ask them in your first post, "If you are scum, will you buy me a house?". If they are town, uhh yeah sure why not. If they are scum, they won't agree to it. In a sense, it's a trust tell.

The reason I bring this up is because it came up in a game on mafiascum and I'd like to see Toxx Clauses banned here as well. It was 3P LYLO and scum was about to win. Well, a town player posted a Toxx Clause and ended up avoiding the lynch as a result giving town the victory. Here is the Toxx Clause:
Thor wrote:IF I AM SCUM I WILL QUIT THE SITE FOREVER AND EVER WHETHER OR NOT YOU LYNCH ME.
I will also vow to mail every player in the game $1,000 dollars and will offer yabba the keys to my car for outwitting my master scum plan.

And the result:
Me wrote:Ok, I've thought about it.

What Thor has done is what another forum (Something Awful or SA for short) calls a toxx clause. It's illegal there, but not here on mafiascum. The reason it was banned there is because of situations like this. Thor has put himself in a situation where if he is scum, he either finds out everybody's info to send them a good chunk of cash and car keys or he is known as a dishonorable player. Ok, one game and one player's reputation, no big deal, right? Here's why it was banned on the SA Forums. If every time a player was close to being lynched, we asked "if you are scum, will you buy me a corvette", we'd break every game we played.

I was pretty damn sure that I was going to be voting Thor, but at this point I don't think Thor is a bad/dishonorable/new enough player that he'd do this as scum.

Yabba, this sucks for you and the entire scum team because you were mostly likely going to win before the toxx clause. It may be time to ban these on mafiascum.

vote Yabba

And post game:
Me wrote:
This is exactly it though. Who would really send large sums of cash and car keys to someone over a game on the internet? No one. But mafia is a game based on the honor system. Ok, this is more true on Something Awful than on mafiascum, which is why I had to think about it. But the same thing applies. If after the game he went lol I lied, it would have been kind of a dick move in a way that I don't think Thor would do it. There's a reason why it (as well as truth or dare, etc) is banned on SA. It can be telling to the point of game breaking, like it was here. Yabba had me fooled. As I said for a while, yabba and thor BOTH looked town on that last day. The fact that scum lost on a toxx clause actually does kind of irritate me. I mean, we won, which is cool and all. But it feels kind of like a hollow victory.

I was going to vote Yabba. The Toxx Clause made me go against my reads. The game was broken by a Toxx Clause.

So what does mafiascum think? Are Toxx Clauses worth being banned as a form of trust tells?
Last edited by Sleepless Assassin on Fri Nov 10, 2017 3:54 pm, edited 3 times in total.
3-2 as scum and 5-8 as town

Www.escapeintothemixradio.com/EMRchatroom.html come say hi
Sleepless Assassin
Sleepless Assassin
Mafia Scum
Sleepless Assassin
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #5 (isolation #1) » Fri Aug 29, 2014 7:25 am

Ok, yeah. "Promises" make the list.

/thread I guess

Sleepless Assassin
Sleepless Assassin
Mafia Scum
Sleepless Assassin
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #13 (isolation #2) » Fri Nov 10, 2017 3:53 pm

In post 12, kuribo wrote:
In post 0, Sleepless Assassin wrote:[Redacted, considered advertising?] forums

mentioning SomethingAwful hardly counts as advertising if you're talking casual conversation. People mention EpicMafia around here all the time, SA is hardly competition for this site

there used to be alot of SA posters here when I first came here (actually I found out about this site from SA, I've been a goon since '03)
Ok, good to know, thanks. Wasn't entirely sure.

Sleepless Assassin
Sleepless Assassin
Mafia Scum
Sleepless Assassin
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #26 (isolation #3) » Fri Feb 12, 2021 6:01 am

In post 15, kuribo wrote:
In post 13, Sleepless Assassin wrote:
In post 12, kuribo wrote:
In post 0, Sleepless Assassin wrote:[Redacted, considered advertising?] forums

mentioning SomethingAwful hardly counts as advertising if you're talking casual conversation. People mention EpicMafia around here all the time, SA is hardly competition for this site

there used to be alot of SA posters here when I first came here (actually I found out about this site from SA, I've been a goon since '03)
Ok, good to know, thanks. Wasn't entirely sure.
Holy shit did it just take you three years to reply to my post
Sorry, time flies.

Return to “Mafia Discussion”