Isis
she/her, not they
Best in Class
Best in Class
Pronoun: she/her, not they

Post Post #7 (isolation #0) » Mon Feb 22, 2021 12:56 am

Post by Isis »

No neighborizer role PM
"Let us say that you are right and there are two worlds. How much, then, is this 'other world' worth to you? What do you have there that you do not have here? Money? Power? Something worth causing the prince so much pain for?'"
"Well, I..."
"What? Nothing? You would make the prince suffer over... nothing?"
Isis
Isis
she/her, not they
Best in Class
Isis
she/her, not they
Best in Class
Best in Class

Post Post #9 (isolation #1) » Mon Feb 22, 2021 1:24 am

Post by Isis »

There's some reasons to start shifting towards more scumsided setups, but the setup in the OP would be a bridge too far.

It might be an idiosyncracy but I dislike something about the setup besides just the balance, which is excessive incentives/consequences for the holster/fire behavior of the odd night neighborizer. I tend to feel like the punishments for using nothingburger power roles like Fruit Vender should be capped at Mafia Tracker or Mafia Watcher and this exceeds that.

My counteroffer will try to kill two foxes with one stone:

1x Mafia Mailman
2x Mafia Goon

1x Town Doctor
1x Town Macho Traffic Analyst
1x Town Odd-Night Combined Neighborizer Rolestopper
1x Town Mailman Enabler
6x Vanilla Townie

This setup has stronger town setup spec and a better chance of hitting a double protect. It's definitely way less aggressive than adding a one-shot cop but I think there is enough.
"Let us say that you are right and there are two worlds. How much, then, is this 'other world' worth to you? What do you have there that you do not have here? Money? Power? Something worth causing the prince so much pain for?'"
"Well, I..."
Isis
Isis
she/her, not they
Best in Class
Isis
she/her, not they
Best in Class
Best in Class

Post Post #10 (isolation #2) » Mon Feb 22, 2021 1:30 am

Post by Isis »

I'm rating the scum mailman as negative utility here, because I didn't see multitasking specified anywhere. Some percentage of the time the Mafia Mailman is going to choose to send mail and claim mailman later, then find themselves the final scum and be unable to perform nightkills unless they claim they sent the NK victim mail.
"Well, I..."
Isis
Isis
she/her, not they
Best in Class
Isis
she/her, not they
Best in Class
Best in Class

Post Post #13 (isolation #3) » Mon Feb 22, 2021 2:13 am

Post by Isis »

In post 11, callforjudgement wrote:Well, that isn't going to happen very often because five sixths of the time, either the Mailman Enabler or the Mailman itself is going to die before the two Goons do, and even in the unlikely case, it's quite likely that there will be a claimed Enabler and a dead Doctor. So there's some built in counter to the negative utility there.
I forgot about the enabler but I knew it was already silly bean counting anyway. It's just not a very big deal.

In case it wasn't clear, I don't think a negative utility role is necessarily bad design. I don't see any need to add multitasking here.
"Well, I..."
Isis
Isis
she/her, not they
Best in Class
Isis
she/her, not they
Best in Class
Best in Class

Post Post #16 (isolation #4) » Mon Feb 22, 2021 2:17 am

Post by Isis »

I think CFJ has some kind of philosophical position that all setups ever are better with multitasking because the setup spec and fakeclaim space is more unbounded, but also some mods/reviewers prefer to use some singletasking and/or utilize the modifier.

I'd approve the setup with or without public scumteam multitasking, anyhow.
"Well, I..."
Isis
Isis
she/her, not they
Best in Class
Isis
she/her, not they
Best in Class
Best in Class

Post Post #17 (isolation #5) » Mon Feb 22, 2021 2:18 am

Post by Isis »

yeah the double protect feeling grating was one of my reservations about this design but i think it's just barely fine.
"Well, I..."
Isis
Isis
she/her, not they
Best in Class
Isis
she/her, not they
Best in Class
Best in Class

Post Post #20 (isolation #6) » Mon Feb 22, 2021 2:22 am

Post by Isis »

I think it's unambiguous that the asceticizing component of rolestopper isn't disturbed by the macho modifier, so the Traffic Analyst should always have an open mailbox
"Well, I..."
Isis
Isis
she/her, not they
Best in Class
Isis
she/her, not they
Best in Class
Best in Class

Post Post #21 (isolation #7) » Mon Feb 22, 2021 2:22 am

Post by Isis »

jinx joke you owe me a coke
"Well, I..."
Isis
Isis
she/her, not they
Best in Class
Isis
she/her, not they
Best in Class
Best in Class

Post Post #22 (isolation #8) » Mon Feb 22, 2021 2:23 am

Post by Isis »

I haven't looked over role PMs/rules closely yet, need to go to work now.
"Well, I..."
Isis
Isis
she/her, not they
Best in Class
Isis
she/her, not they
Best in Class
Best in Class

Post Post #28 (isolation #9) » Mon Feb 22, 2021 5:30 am

Post by Isis »

That's a correct application of NAR for the revision in the OP but when the neighborizer is converted to combined rolestopper the investigation simply fails because it was rolestopped
"Well, I..."
Isis
Isis
she/her, not they
Best in Class
Isis
she/her, not they
Best in Class
Best in Class

Post Post #29 (isolation #10) » Mon Feb 22, 2021 5:35 am

Post by Isis »

Oooh checking the neighborizer itself, not the target, aren't I clumsy. Yes, that makes NAR matter! And it's a positive the way cfj explained
"Well, I..."
Isis
Isis
she/her, not they
Best in Class
Isis
she/her, not they
Best in Class
Best in Class

Post Post #33 (isolation #11) » Mon Feb 22, 2021 2:16 pm

Post by Isis »

Be sure to remove "You may only use one per night" from Mafia Mailman if you're adding multitasking
"Well, I..."
Isis
Isis
she/her, not they
Best in Class
Isis
she/her, not they
Best in Class
Best in Class

Post Post #34 (isolation #12) » Mon Feb 22, 2021 2:18 pm

Post by Isis »

i don't see other rules or role pm issues
"Well, I..."
Isis
Isis
she/her, not they
Best in Class
Isis
she/her, not they
Best in Class
Best in Class

Post Post #36 (isolation #13) » Tue Feb 23, 2021 3:08 am

Post by Isis »

Last thing, it's generally part of the review process to specify investigative results PMs for review. You should have three here.
"Well, I..."
Isis
Isis
she/her, not they
Best in Class
Isis
she/her, not they
Best in Class
Best in Class

Post Post #39 (isolation #14) » Tue Feb 23, 2021 3:35 am

Post by Isis »

Ok that is why we do results PMs because I'm like niiiinety percent sure traffic analyst ignores mailman. CFJ do you know?
"Well, I..."
Isis
Isis
she/her, not they
Best in Class
Isis
she/her, not they
Best in Class
Best in Class

Post Post #40 (isolation #15) » Tue Feb 23, 2021 3:37 am

Post by Isis »

Nah I just don't know things wiki says you're right
"Well, I..."
Isis
Isis
she/her, not they
Best in Class
Isis
she/her, not they
Best in Class
Best in Class

Post Post #41 (isolation #16) » Tue Feb 23, 2021 3:55 am

Post by Isis »

Man that's trippy. In a different setup, would a mafia loyal mailman and a mafia ascetic traitor generate setup info like a quantum particle when the mafiosi gets traffic analyzed?
I would maybe change the parenthetical in the traffic analyst PM to be a little more general. It looks like that was copypasted from the wiki, but the parenthetical is kind of saying, "with respect to PTs, you can't tell the difference between people who can't communicate with another living player due to pragmatic concerns and someone who is just too vanilla", but it can be generalized to: the same thing without saying with respect to PTs. The mailman can be night 1, or one shot, or in the actual case of this setup could unhooked by enabler.
"Well, I..."
Isis
Isis
she/her, not they
Best in Class
Isis
she/her, not they
Best in Class
Best in Class

Post Post #42 (isolation #17) » Tue Feb 23, 2021 4:03 am

Post by Isis »

The parenthetical can probably just be safely cut. The role so clearly has binary outcomes that it's more of an excited gloat about interesting traffic analysts are than a necessary clarification, on its face it seems to only foreclose the possible that TAs get "can communicate", "can't communicate cause vanilla", and "can't communicate because everyone they could talk to is dead", which isn't a very tenable interpretation of the role anyway.
"Well, I..."
Isis
Isis
she/her, not they
Best in Class
Isis
she/her, not they
Best in Class
Best in Class

Post Post #45 (isolation #18) » Tue Feb 23, 2021 4:51 am

Post by Isis »

Oh, I'm not objecting to the bracketed part. I mean now that I understand precisely what TA does I think the template role PM for it is misleading due to the parenthetical include in the template role PM that describes how extenuating circumstances can modify the private communication effects of PTs, but not describing how extenuating circumstances can modify the private communication effects of mailman.
"Well, I..."
Isis
Isis
she/her, not they
Best in Class
Isis
she/her, not they
Best in Class
Best in Class

Post Post #46 (isolation #19) » Tue Feb 23, 2021 4:52 am

Post by Isis »

He pulled it right from the wiki so I'm reinventing the wheel, but I wouldn't be surprised if gated mailman has been run with TA 0-1 times
"Well, I..."
Isis
Isis
she/her, not they
Best in Class
Isis
she/her, not they
Best in Class
Best in Class

Post Post #48 (isolation #20) » Tue Feb 23, 2021 5:59 am

Post by Isis »

You could refactor the parenthetical to "you cannot tell the difference between a player who can send messages one way to other players, and a player who has a private topic with another living person in it"?
"Well, I..."
Isis
Isis
she/her, not they
Best in Class
Isis
she/her, not they
Best in Class
Best in Class

Post Post #50 (isolation #21) » Tue Feb 23, 2021 10:06 am

Post by Isis »

Yeah that looks good to me, would like to hear from cfj if he thinks I went off the rails with that
"Well, I..."
Isis
Isis
she/her, not they
Best in Class
Isis
she/her, not they
Best in Class
Best in Class

Post Post #52 (isolation #22) » Wed Feb 24, 2021 2:43 am

Post by Isis »

I don't think anything else needs to be looked at, I
pass
the setup
"Well, I..."
Isis
Isis
she/her, not they
Best in Class
Isis
she/her, not they
Best in Class
Best in Class

Post Post #54 (isolation #23) » Wed Feb 24, 2021 5:15 am

Post by Isis »

Drop him a message and brag that your game is in approved status. You don't have to re-provide him the setup beyond his having access to here, though
"Well, I..."

Return to “Completed Game Reviews”