Hydra Discussion Thread

For large social games such as Survivor where the primary mechanic is social interaction.
Awoo
Awoo
Mafia Scum
Awoo
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #39 (isolation #0) » Sun Mar 07, 2021 1:57 pm

Post by Awoo »

In post 34, Silverclaw wrote:FTR, the real problem point for hydras isn't the PM'ing thing, its the burnout thing, because hydras allow one player to take a break from the game for a day to recharge, which is a potential problem moreso than people not liking what is basically groupchats.
Correct. Having Radja take over the end of FTC when I was burned out would have been what won us the game if the vote tied 4-4 and it went to avocado's tiebreaker.
Awoo
Awoo
Mafia Scum
Awoo
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #40 (isolation #1) » Sun Mar 07, 2021 2:02 pm

Post by Awoo »

In post 12, Noraa wrote:I think in a way hydras are advantageous for two reasons
1) you have one true ally that will never betray you
and
2) you have two chances.

What I mean by number 2 is that if one head fucks up, people will still give the other head a chance.
Point 2 is incorrect.

Nobody said "Damn, hare screwed up for voting maggie, but tortoise is chill so who cares" or "Damn, whatever droid suggested the bees blindside screwed up, but the other one is fine". One person screws up, it tanks both their games. Because they are a single slot. That's how it works.
Awoo
Awoo
Mafia Scum
Awoo
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #44 (isolation #2) » Sun Mar 07, 2021 3:40 pm

Post by Awoo »

In post 43, xRECKONERx wrote:
In post 41, VashtaNeurotic wrote:Even in that case, I'm still fine with it.
That's buck wild to me that you can openly say "It is inherently unfair and advantages one slot over another but I don't care".

I dunno why striving for equality across slots isn't high on the priority list.
lol~ a first timer has very low chances of winning. Pairing them up with someone as opposed to having them play alone increases equality across player slots.
Awoo
Awoo
Mafia Scum
Awoo
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #47 (isolation #3) » Sun Mar 07, 2021 5:22 pm

Post by Awoo »

Counterpoint: Immunity idols and items are secret. Hydras, except in a few games where they were the tricky twist, are public knowledge.

You can intentionally vote out hydras so they don't get to FTC. It's literally that easy. Treat them like any other jury threat and don't give them the option to trade off writing speeches. Choosing who you want at the end is a known mechanic in survivor.
Awoo
Awoo
Mafia Scum
Awoo
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #49 (isolation #4) » Sun Mar 07, 2021 5:27 pm

Post by Awoo »

Did you just say twists equally affect all players
Awoo
Awoo
Mafia Scum
Awoo
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #80 (isolation #5) » Mon Mar 08, 2021 9:16 am

Post by Awoo »

Oh, that sounds awesome. The redemption twists this game were particularly cool and I would love to look at things more indepth.
Awoo
Awoo
Mafia Scum
Awoo
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #91 (isolation #6) » Mon Mar 08, 2021 7:50 pm

Post by Awoo »

In post 87, D3f3nd3r wrote:I really doubt you could wrangle two dozen players willing to be in hydras for a 12-slot game with any sort of regularity. I think it'd be fun to do once but also the appeal seems like it'll dry out very fast since there's really not a ton of design space with a 12-slot game. Like we've only been talking about doing it as BB, because Survivor isn't going to be feasible.
all hydra game but the twist is SOMEONE secretly isn't a hydra ;)
Awoo
Awoo
Mafia Scum
Awoo
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #98 (isolation #7) » Wed Mar 10, 2021 4:58 am

Post by Awoo »

Yeah... it was kind of secondhand embarrassing reading reck's FTC posts at the end of barely survivor. It was more feeling bad for him than ourselves though since I know there's at least one person like that in each game for the most part. Having people who don't want the winner to win is nothing new.
Awoo
Awoo
Mafia Scum
Awoo
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #140 (isolation #8) » Thu Sep 09, 2021 12:10 pm

Post by Awoo »

LMAO

Return to “ORGs and Large Social Games [Big Brother: Digital Distortion Now Accepting Sign-ups!]”