Board Games!

This forum is specifically for discussing non-Mafia games
(board, card, video, we're not picky)
Playing
such games should happen in the Mish Mash forum, of course.
Tatsuya Kaname
Tatsuya Kaname
Mafia Scum
Tatsuya Kaname
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #3925 (ISO) » Sat Mar 06, 2021 8:19 pm

Post by Tatsuya Kaname »

Just bought a copy of Machi Koro Legacy for a cheap auction price. Blasted through 5 of the 10 games with my 3p group.

Problems with original Machi Koro still exists (without spoilers, there are still broken optimal strategies, and luck can still screw everyone), but I think I enjoyed playing it.

Sure (again, without any spoilers) the legacy aspects are pretty subtle compared to big names like Pandemic or Clank! Legacy, but it's a nice fresh air which is good because Machi Koro is aa light filler anyway. The changes we've discovered so far is simple enough to grasp on, but also interesting enough to make each game at least slightly different.
Embark the journey to life-changing fortune in Para{dice} Trinity: The Quest for Spirits' Fortune, a luck-based casual arcade Mish Mash game by Tatsuya Kaname!

Yes. Making too many hoods is moderator suicide. -Enter
I want to shoot this post in the face with a flamethrower. - zakk
lilith2013
lilith2013
she/her
Spice of Life
lilith2013
she/her
Spice of Life
Spice of Life
Pronoun: she/her

Post Post #3926 (ISO) » Sat Mar 06, 2021 8:20 pm

Post by lilith2013 »

among my friend group, Machi Koro is the ultimate game of betrayal. I don't think it's intended to be that kind of game.... but it is for us. we've basically banned ourselves from playing it because of how much we betray each other. I like the game concept a lot though.
xRECKONERx
xRECKONERx
GD is my Best Man
xRECKONERx
GD is my Best Man
GD is my Best Man

Post Post #3927 (ISO) » Sat Mar 06, 2021 9:49 pm

Post by xRECKONERx »

i legitimately just hate Machi Koro. It's like everything I hate about board games boiled into one game
green shirt thursdays
PJ.
PJ.
Hell in a Cell
PJ.
Hell in a Cell
Hell in a Cell

Post Post #3928 (ISO) » Sun Mar 07, 2021 12:15 am

Post by PJ. »

I like machi Koro w/ the balance patches but I understand why people would hate it.

Do you just hate dice, reck?
Sometimes a sandwich is just a sandwich.
GreyICE
GreyICE
Fifty Shades
GreyICE
Fifty Shades
Fifty Shades

Post Post #3929 (ISO) » Sun Mar 07, 2021 12:35 am

Post by GreyICE »

Machi Koro is worse than sitting around watching Futurama episodes you've already seen with your friends. It might be as bad as sitting around watching family guy episodes.

It qualifies as a board game, if I'm generous.

It's the only game I've ever encountered where they released an expansion pack that took everything I hated about the game and added a whole new thing that made the game even worse. I think me and the designers want exactly opposite things out of a board game, they just found a way to cram new bad things in there. Then I heard about Legacy and I was like "yep, they really are on a specific vendetta against me."
Show
That which is done out of love always takes place beyond good and evil

Official Visigoth

Read Mother Jones
brassherald
brassherald
he/him
Jack of All Trades
brassherald
he/him
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades
Pronoun: he/him

Post Post #3930 (ISO) » Sun Mar 07, 2021 1:04 am

Post by brassherald »

Various sites seem to have learned that I love both board games and Back to the Future, and want me to buy a Back to the Future board game, my fiancée might murder me if I get another game right now.

Do I chance it?
I've only made one good post, and don't you dare accuse me of doing it again.
brassherald
brassherald
he/him
Jack of All Trades
brassherald
he/him
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades
Pronoun: he/him

Post Post #3931 (ISO) » Sun Mar 07, 2021 1:05 am

Post by brassherald »

Side note, it is a space issue, I had to promise her I would not even coilnsider buying Frosthaven until we have a house
I've only made one good post, and don't you dare accuse me of doing it again.
xRECKONERx
xRECKONERx
GD is my Best Man
xRECKONERx
GD is my Best Man
GD is my Best Man

Post Post #3932 (ISO) » Sun Mar 07, 2021 6:16 am

Post by xRECKONERx »

In post 3929, GreyICE wrote:Machi Koro is worse than sitting around watching Futurama episodes you've already seen with your friends. It might be as bad as sitting around watching family guy episodes.

It qualifies as a board game, if I'm generous.

It's the only game I've ever encountered where they released an expansion pack that took everything I hated about the game and added a whole new thing that made the game even worse. I think me and the designers want exactly opposite things out of a board game, they just found a way to cram new bad things in there. Then I heard about Legacy and I was like "yep, they really are on a specific vendetta against me."
This

No PJ I don't hate dice games. I think there's a way to design a game that uses luck well / manages randomness to let strategy really shine..MK does not do this. MK is a game pretending to have a single ounce of strategy in it's bones when it actuality it's a slot machine simulator
green shirt thursdays
GreyICE
GreyICE
Fifty Shades
GreyICE
Fifty Shades
Fifty Shades

Post Post #3933 (ISO) » Sun Mar 07, 2021 9:17 pm

Post by GreyICE »

Good dice games (my wife may not agree):

Perudo/Liar's Dice - Fucking fantastic. Liar's dice is one of the best games ever. The only components are 5 dice/person, and the only things you do is roll them and then try to guess how many there are. Dice isn't just the main mechanic, it's the only mechanic, and it's pretty nasty strategy. Feels like a game of mafia at times.
Bora Bora - great worker placement game, dice add a nice bit of positioning/planning. Tons of strategy.
Can't Stop - I can spend 30 minutes rolling dice for games of Can't Stop. Dumb, but hell, I love it. Really grasps the essence of push your luck. It's a slot machine simulator, but it's one that makes me laugh.
Mage Wars - custom dice, but definitely important to resolution mechanics.

Look, there, four dice games that I'd happily play any time. I am never unhappy to play a round of Liar's Dice. Machi Koro just sucks.
Show

Official Visigoth

Read Mother Jones
Ythan
Ythan
She
Welcome to the Haystack
Ythan
She
Welcome to the Haystack
Welcome to the Haystack
Pronoun: She

Post Post #3934 (ISO) » Sun Mar 07, 2021 10:49 pm

Post by Ythan »

Liar's dice is super fun.
shaft.ed
shaft.ed
dem.agogue
shaft.ed
dem.agogue
dem.agogue

Post Post #3935 (ISO) » Mon Mar 08, 2021 1:31 am

Post by shaft.ed »

Is Camel Up a dice game?
Cause its p good, but trying not to roll dice is about half the gameplay
Tatsuya Kaname
Tatsuya Kaname
Mafia Scum
Tatsuya Kaname
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #3936 (ISO) » Mon Mar 08, 2021 4:50 am

Post by Tatsuya Kaname »

About Camel Up, there's never a good reason to roll the dice other than that $1 bonus, but really you can just sit back, watch and bet and you'll get a better payoff unless you really screw up end eame betting, and even then, Partner rules suck. Like why the hell do I make the most strategic and paid move ever, only to be copied by another player who just fricking rolls? Gotta admit the unpredictability, the pyramid mechanisms (which easily breaks, even the plastic version) and stacking camels are what makes the game fun though.

Also Dice Throne is the best dice game ever, fight me (I mean the system as a whole, not sure about the co-op/solo expansion Dice Throne Adventures, which have a copy sitting in the board game cafe I'm working but haven't played it. I have heard mixed reviews about it and it's pretty different so I can't say anything about that, but just fighting each other by rolling dice and cardplay in the main game is really awesome and there are various ways to play in terms of characters and abilities.)

Perudo is fun, I'll admit, but that game's strategic thoughts are too much like Poker and Riichi Mahjong, and I'd mostly rather play those (although I'm pretty sure no one here plays or even knows Riichi Mahjong).
Embark the journey to life-changing fortune in Para{dice} Trinity: The Quest for Spirits' Fortune, a luck-based casual arcade Mish Mash game by Tatsuya Kaname!

xRECKONERx
xRECKONERx
GD is my Best Man
xRECKONERx
GD is my Best Man
GD is my Best Man

Post Post #3937 (ISO) » Mon Mar 08, 2021 5:14 am

Post by xRECKONERx »

In post 3933, GreyICE wrote:Good dice games (my wife may not agree):

Perudo/Liar's Dice - Fucking fantastic. Liar's dice is one of the best games ever. The only components are 5 dice/person, and the only things you do is roll them and then try to guess how many there are. Dice isn't just the main mechanic, it's the only mechanic, and it's pretty nasty strategy. Feels like a game of mafia at times.
Bora Bora - great worker placement game, dice add a nice bit of positioning/planning. Tons of strategy.
Can't Stop - I can spend 30 minutes rolling dice for games of Can't Stop. Dumb, but hell, I love it. Really grasps the essence of push your luck. It's a slot machine simulator, but it's one that makes me laugh.

Look, there, four dice games that I'd happily play any time. I am never unhappy to play a round of Liar's Dice. Machi Koro just sucks.
I'll add Dice Throne, Sagrada, Roll for the Galaxy, and Kingsburg to this list as not only "dice games" I'm happy to play, but games that are in contention for GOAT in my opinion
green shirt thursdays
xRECKONERx
xRECKONERx
GD is my Best Man
xRECKONERx
GD is my Best Man
GD is my Best Man

Post Post #3938 (ISO) » Mon Mar 08, 2021 5:16 am

Post by xRECKONERx »

In post 3936, Tatsuya Kaname wrote:Also Dice Throne is the best dice game ever, fight me (I mean the system as a whole, not sure about the co-op/solo expansion Dice Throne Adventures, which have a copy sitting in the board game cafe I'm working but haven't played it. I have heard mixed reviews about it and it's pretty different so I can't say anything about that, but just fighting each other by rolling dice and cardplay in the main game is really awesome and there are various ways to play in terms of characters and abilities.)
I got sent a copy of Adventures to review and haven't cracked it open yet bc I've been having too much fun just trying different characters in the Season 1 box.

That being said, I think Dice Throne just barely toes the line for dice games where it's juuuuust cute enough not to make the player feel completely dragged down during the game. But if you ever play with more than 2 people, it gets dragged down a LOT. I can't imagine adding in a bunch of mechanics in DTA on top of what's already in Dice Throne is going to do the game any favors.
green shirt thursdays
Xtoxm
Xtoxm
EBWOXM
Xtoxm
EBWOXM
EBWOXM

Post Post #3939 (ISO) » Mon Mar 08, 2021 5:39 am

Post by Xtoxm »

Bang! the dice game is good
Smooth as silk when he's scum, and very much capable of running things from behind the scenes while appearing to be doing minimal effort. - Almost50
Xtoxm is consistently great - Shosin
you were the only wolf i townread at endgame - the worst
Lady Lambdadelta
Lady Lambdadelta
She/Faer
Rise of the Phoenix
Lady Lambdadelta
She/Faer
Rise of the Phoenix
Rise of the Phoenix
Pronoun: She/Faer

Post Post #3940 (ISO) » Mon Mar 08, 2021 5:58 am

Post by Lady Lambdadelta »

God I hate Bora Bora. Fucking fishing village bore me to tears.

Liars dice is amazing though and can't stop is just so east to enjoy
Yes my Lord, but questions are dangerous, for they have answers.

13 heads and counting now, plurality is adaptive. If our experience might help you,
click here
If you wish to
speak to one of us
, we are Niamh, Rhiannon, Rhea, Aisling, Saoirse, Selene, Aoife, Fírinne, Aurélie, Lyra, Airna, Fiadh and Laoise.
Soar on wings of retribution and set the world ablaze
GreyICE
GreyICE
Fifty Shades
GreyICE
Fifty Shades
Fifty Shades

Post Post #3941 (ISO) » Mon Mar 08, 2021 12:35 pm

Post by GreyICE »

In post 3940, Lady Lambdadelta wrote:God I hate Bora Bora. Fucking fishing village bore me to tears.

Liars dice is amazing though and can't stop is just so east to enjoy
I'm sorry you're so wrong about Bora Bora. Your taste in board games makes you a terrible person.
Show

Official Visigoth

Read Mother Jones
Something_Smart
Something_Smart
He/him
Somewhat_Balanced
Something_Smart
He/him
Somewhat_Balanced
Somewhat_Balanced
Pronoun: He/him

Post Post #3942 (ISO) » Mon Mar 08, 2021 12:37 pm

Post by Something_Smart »

I've played Machi Koro a handful of times. I enjoyed it.

Maybe I haven't played it often or seriously enough to see the optimal strategies.
It's always the same. When you fire that first shot, no matter how right you feel, you have no idea who's going to die. You don't know whose children are going to scream and burn. How many hearts will be broken. How many lives shattered. How much blood will spill, until everybody does what they're always going to have to do from the very beginning... SIT DOWN AND TALK!
Chevre
Chevre
Honourable Mention
Chevre
Honourable Mention
Honourable Mention

Post Post #3943 (ISO) » Mon Mar 08, 2021 3:54 pm

Post by Chevre »

In post 3937, xRECKONERx wrote:
In post 3933, GreyICE wrote:Good dice games (my wife may not agree):

I'll add Dice Throne, Sagrada, Roll for the Galaxy, and Kingsburg to this list as not only "dice games" I'm happy to play, but games that are in contention for GOAT in my opinion
Mentioning Kingsburg...I don't know if you know but there's Kingsport Festival, which is a bunch like Kingsburg but with a Lovecraftian theme. It's really good.

Love Liar's Dice, Can't Stop (which is not in print? but I've now been inspired to try to laser-cut a board and 3D print markers because it's THAT good), and Sagrada's real nice too if your mind works like that.
There will be no kisses tonight
There will be no holding hands tonight
'Cause what is now wasn't there before and should not be
PJ.
PJ.
Hell in a Cell
PJ.
Hell in a Cell
Hell in a Cell

Post Post #3944 (ISO) » Mon Mar 08, 2021 7:45 pm

Post by PJ. »

Sagrada!
Sometimes a sandwich is just a sandwich.
GreyICE
GreyICE
Fifty Shades
GreyICE
Fifty Shades
Fifty Shades

Post Post #3945 (ISO) » Mon Mar 08, 2021 8:28 pm

Post by GreyICE »

In post 3942, Something_Smart wrote:I've played Machi Koro a handful of times. I enjoyed it.

Maybe I haven't played it often or seriously enough to see the optimal strategies.
It's not about optimal strategies. Me and Lexi actually discussed it today, and what pisses me off about Machi Koro isn't that it's a slot machine simulator. It's a slot machine simulator where your reward for winning is you get to buy more slot machines to pull the arms on. Thus, if one player gets unlucky early, they get to watch everyone buy a bunch of slot machines, while on their turn they get to pull the arm on their one slot machine. Meanwhile other people are pulling the arms on 4-6 slot machines. Then they make slot machines that steal other people's money, which punishes the players who don't have any money to begin with more than the haves of the world.

We talked about it, and we have yet to play a game of Machi Koro, either of us, where one player wasn't simply out of the game very early on. Often with no relevant decisions they could have made to alter their fate, because it was just based on not being able to pull the lever right.
Show

Official Visigoth

Read Mother Jones
Tatsuya Kaname
Tatsuya Kaname
Mafia Scum
Tatsuya Kaname
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #3946 (ISO) » Mon Mar 08, 2021 9:37 pm

Post by Tatsuya Kaname »

In post 3945, GreyICE wrote:We talked about it, and we have yet to play a game of Machi Koro, either of us, where one player wasn't simply out of the game very early on. Often with no relevant decisions they could have made to alter their fate, because it was just based on not being able to pull the lever right.
Yeah but comebacks ARE a thing in Machi Koro. Because even the worse rollers ever would net cash from wheat field. So he started buying more wheat fields... and another. While everyone else is building some kind of engine, he buys more wheat fields. Then a cafe, then when people started rolling two dice, he buys apple orchards. Then he buys a vegetasble market, upgrades to two dice and win the game in four rolls. while others are still struggling to trigger their forests.

It's a dice game. Sute, there will be one player luckier than others and 'gets a head start' but things turn around prety quickly too.

Faraday
Faraday
...should I be here?
Faraday
...should I be here?
...should I be here?

Post Post #3947 (ISO) » Tue Mar 09, 2021 2:31 am

Post by Faraday »

i've only played machi koro once and absolutely trashed ariel doing so, just because i happened to roll a 4 or a 6 or whatever number a bunch of times in a row. the game was over fairly quick though, that's the only big plus I had.

can't stop and bang: the dice game are my fave fun, quick dice games.

I like roll player too, but that doesn't really feel like a dice game due to the level of mitigation available.
are you thinking of me when you're with somebody else?
shaft.ed
shaft.ed
dem.agogue
shaft.ed
dem.agogue
dem.agogue

Post Post #3948 (ISO) » Tue Mar 09, 2021 3:16 am

Post by shaft.ed »

bang is good but needs a larger number of people
GreyICE
GreyICE
Fifty Shades
GreyICE
Fifty Shades
Fifty Shades

Post Post #3949 (ISO) » Tue Mar 09, 2021 12:17 pm

Post by GreyICE »

In other news, who here has Tabletop Simulator? I'd love to organize a TI4 game with expansion this weekend.
Show

Official Visigoth

Read Mother Jones

Return to “The Arcade”