Micro 1003: Divide and Conquer - Game Over!

Micro Games (9 players or fewer). Archived during the 2023 queue overhaul.
Infinity 324
Infinity 324
they (pl.)
Survivor
Infinity 324
they (pl.)
Survivor
Survivor
Pronoun: they (pl.)

Post Post #325 (ISO) » Tue Apr 06, 2021 4:38 pm

Post by Infinity 324 »

Town!skitt doesn't accept the logic of "this player makes no sense, must be scum". She uses what she knows about a player and weighs whether a town motivation is more likely than a scum one. In PyP she TRed me quite strongly when others were SRing me or much less sure. Her read on me here is fake.
Show
new GTKAS

<3 you are valid

plural system, we may or may not sign
Bingle
Bingle
Survivor
Bingle
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #326 (ISO) » Tue Apr 06, 2021 4:39 pm

Post by Bingle »

@Mena:
In post 225, Bingle wrote:
In post 201, Infinity 324 wrote:
In post 199, Bingle wrote:Fairly confident in Vandertown aorn, btw.
Why? Not sold on the "not thinking through mech" argument, you can just post what you thought when you first saw the setup
From interactions: I doubt skitter puts the majority of her teams fate in their hands and I doubt that you go for the early softbus right here when it's a potentially game ending strategy.
tl;dr I don't think Vander is scum with skitter. I also don't think Vander is scum with Infinity. I think it is fairly obvious I wouldn't trust someone I don't know to be the linchpin of my team.

I also don't think he would be quite as vocal about his plan against me in light of and me playing it up, although I hadn't brought that up yet.
Infinity 324
Infinity 324
they (pl.)
Survivor
Infinity 324
they (pl.)
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #327 (ISO) » Tue Apr 06, 2021 4:39 pm

Post by Infinity 324 »

In post 325, Infinity 324 wrote:In PyP she TRed me quite strongly when others were SRing me or much less sure.
Specifically because my play was confusing and iirc a big part of the reason for her TRing me there was because she didn't see scum motivation for my play
Show
new GTKAS

<3 you are valid

Infinity 324
Infinity 324
they (pl.)
Survivor
Infinity 324
they (pl.)
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #328 (ISO) » Tue Apr 06, 2021 4:39 pm

Post by Infinity 324 »

I'm going to sleep
Show
new GTKAS

<3 you are valid

Bingle
Bingle
Survivor
Bingle
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #329 (ISO) » Tue Apr 06, 2021 4:40 pm

Post by Bingle »

In post 322, Infinity 324 wrote:@jingle Do you have a read on me?
I think you are slightly more likely to be scum than skitter atm. I am wary enough of skitter to not care to solve that mess quite yet.
skitter30
skitter30
she/her
Last Laugh
skitter30
she/her
Last Laugh
Last Laugh
Pronoun: she/her

Post Post #330 (ISO) » Tue Apr 06, 2021 4:40 pm

Post by skitter30 »

In post 316, Infinity 324 wrote:Obviously just ask me to clarify, I want to make it as hard as possible for scum!you to maintain this position
ok, let me take a step back - why did you start this game voting me?
Show
Hiatus once more.

'skitter is fucking terrifying' ~ town-bork about scum-me

'Skitter [was] terrifying to play against ngl' ~ scum-bork about town-me

'Going into lylo against scum!skit unprepared is like having someone force feed you dull razor blades. It's painful, and once it starts, you're pretty much dead' ~ NMSA

'Skitter you're a spirit animal's spirit animal' ~ slaxx
skitter30
skitter30
she/her
Last Laugh
skitter30
she/her
Last Laugh
Last Laugh

Post Post #331 (ISO) » Tue Apr 06, 2021 4:43 pm

Post by skitter30 »

In post 317, Menalque wrote:“i was kinda thinking you were being +town” is presumably based on my posting in thread

Idg why paranoia about setup stuff is related to me not being +town based on what I’d posted here

It makes more sense to say that you’re getting paranoid AS WELL almost?
your posting through that point had the high-energy scatter-train-of-thought vibe that i associate with town you
i did have that thought when i read that post, so i said so

it didn't overturn the prior posts or vibe or anything, but it was there too and i wanted to mention it
Show
Hiatus once more.

'Going into lylo against scum!skit unprepared is like having someone force feed you dull razor blades. It's painful, and once it starts, you're pretty much dead' ~ NMSA

Bingle
Bingle
Survivor
Bingle
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #332 (ISO) » Tue Apr 06, 2021 4:44 pm

Post by Bingle »

In post 308, Menalque wrote:I’ll consider infinity on the understanding that if skitt+bingle become conf then we dead sheep them until lylo
Fuck that noise. If I die you throw my reads out with the bathwater. My forte is setting up the gamestate so that other people can catch the scum. My early reads are pretty buckshot.
Vanderscamp
Vanderscamp
Mafia Scum
Vanderscamp
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #333 (ISO) » Tue Apr 06, 2021 4:45 pm

Post by Vanderscamp »

In post 247, Bingle wrote:
In post 236, Vanderscamp wrote:I think this is wrong too, walk me through how you got these numbers if you care to argue it
Exhaustive analysis of the cases within the parameters. All of the possible townwins for littlepoolfirst, for instance, are

TTSS (.083)
TSS (.066)
TSTS (.07)
SS (.0556)
STS (.0556)
STTS (.074)

Which sums to 40.4%.

I assume you will take my word at this point, but analyzing setups is kinda my jam.
Most of those numbers look right but for TTSS I get 2/3 x 1/2 x 1 x 1/3 = 0.111
And for TSTS I get 2/3 x 1/2 x 4/5 x 1/3 = 0.0888
skitter30
skitter30
she/her
Last Laugh
skitter30
she/her
Last Laugh
Last Laugh

Post Post #334 (ISO) » Tue Apr 06, 2021 4:47 pm

Post by skitter30 »

In post 319, Bingle wrote:
In post 306, skitter30 wrote:ok but we might not get any conftown at all your way
i don't think we should be playing around getting conftown anyways per se so much as we should be trying to flip scum and i think it's easier in the smaller one.

i do think that at worst having 50/50 in 5p xylo is a decent point actually ... but i think if we flip through 3p first we we guarantee 3way, no? it's that better? cuz in 50-50 5p xylo we still need to get it right to get to 3way?
Mathematically, limming in the big pool has a very slight advantage numbers wise, although not enough to make it a cut and dry this is the only option decision.

Subjectively, the difference here is low risk - low reward vs moderate risk - moderate reward. If we hit scum in the first two elims in the big pool we still have workable conftown come 5p. If we lim in the small pool we NEVER have conftown in 5p.

On a fundamental level, the more salient point behind me wanting to hit the 6p first is the one pooky brought up: The scum in the 6p can't afford to be elimmed today. The scum in the 3p CAN. I think hunting the former gives us far more useful information to make subjective calls than hunting the latter.
ok i feel like if i respond to this we'll get bogged down again since i kinda disagree with at least two of the statements/assessments you're making here.
~
but turning it back on you - if you were had to flip someone in the 6p rn, who would you ?
Show
Hiatus once more.

Bingle
Bingle
Survivor
Bingle
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #335 (ISO) » Tue Apr 06, 2021 4:50 pm

Post by Bingle »

Pooky.
Bingle
Bingle
Survivor
Bingle
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #336 (ISO) » Tue Apr 06, 2021 4:52 pm

Post by Bingle »

In post 333, Vanderscamp wrote:Most of those numbers look right but for TTSS I get 2/3 x 1/2 x 1 x 1/3 = 0.111
I could look back, I suppose and see if I typo'd a calculation somewhere, but when we agree with the conclusion that the math says the two options are very similar and the subjective criteria is more important I'm not sure it's worth the distraction.
Vanderscamp
Vanderscamp
Mafia Scum
Vanderscamp
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #337 (ISO) » Tue Apr 06, 2021 4:52 pm

Post by Vanderscamp »

In post 333, Vanderscamp wrote:
In post 247, Bingle wrote:
In post 236, Vanderscamp wrote:I think this is wrong too, walk me through how you got these numbers if you care to argue it
Exhaustive analysis of the cases within the parameters. All of the possible townwins for littlepoolfirst, for instance, are

TTSS (.083)
TSS (.066)
TSTS (.07)
SS (.0556)
STS (.0556)
STTS (.074)

Which sums to 40.4%.

I assume you will take my word at this point, but analyzing setups is kinda my jam.
Most of those numbers look right but for TTSS I get 2/3 x 1/2 x 1 x 1/3 = 0.111
This adds up to 45.1%, which is not what I got either, but I see where I went wrong (and I was wrong), it was assuming that Pooky's odds of winning for the various mountainous set ups were correct, but they are actually also wrong.

The chances of winning with small pool first are 45.1%, and big pool first is whatever I said earlier, 40.7% or something.
So that's actually a pretty decent difference.
skitter30
skitter30
she/her
Last Laugh
skitter30
she/her
Last Laugh
Last Laugh

Post Post #338 (ISO) » Tue Apr 06, 2021 4:55 pm

Post by skitter30 »

In post 321, Infinity 324 wrote:Yes but I don't think I could do that. I probably wouldn't put us in a hood together to begin with.

I think you're projecting here, you're using my early soft push as an excuse to hard push me here when you would never be this confident in SRing me this early, even if you weren't TRing me
infinity.
you entered this game looking to push me. yes, i pushed back, because your push on me was agenda-driven and unfounded. i'm not sure why you think i *wouldn't* be scumreading you here.
Show
Hiatus once more.

skitter30
skitter30
she/her
Last Laugh
skitter30
she/her
Last Laugh
Last Laugh

Post Post #339 (ISO) » Tue Apr 06, 2021 4:55 pm

Post by skitter30 »

In post 325, Infinity 324 wrote:Town!skitt doesn't accept the logic of "this player makes no sense, must be scum". She uses what she knows about a player and weighs whether a town motivation is more likely than a scum one. In PyP she TRed me quite strongly when others were SRing me or much less sure. Her read on me here is fake.
and what's the town motivation?
Show
Hiatus once more.

Vanderscamp
Vanderscamp
Mafia Scum
Vanderscamp
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #340 (ISO) » Tue Apr 06, 2021 4:56 pm

Post by Vanderscamp »

In post 336, Bingle wrote:
In post 333, Vanderscamp wrote:Most of those numbers look right but for TTSS I get 2/3 x 1/2 x 1 x 1/3 = 0.111
I could look back, I suppose and see if I typo'd a calculation somewhere, but when we agree with the conclusion that the math says the two options are very similar and the subjective criteria is more important I'm not sure it's worth the distraction.
I have small pool first as over 4% better.
Not sure it does matter a huge amount but I think it's definitely wrong to say that big pool first is obviously correct.
skitter30
skitter30
she/her
Last Laugh
skitter30
she/her
Last Laugh
Last Laugh

Post Post #341 (ISO) » Tue Apr 06, 2021 4:56 pm

Post by skitter30 »

In post 328, Infinity 324 wrote:I'm going to sleep
night infinity! we shall continue our bickering on the morrow :)
In post 335, Bingle wrote:Pooky.
ok interesting take, why?
Show
Hiatus once more.

Vanderscamp
Vanderscamp
Mafia Scum
Vanderscamp
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #342 (ISO) » Tue Apr 06, 2021 5:03 pm

Post by Vanderscamp »

Just checked scum's chances of winning going for the big pool first with all the possible combinations and it checks out, it's definitely 45% to win as town with small pool first and 41% to win with big pool first, the people who are saying big pool first is mathematically better are definitely wrong.
I don't agree that small pool scum can just afford to get eliminated, either, there's a pretty decent chance that we get to a point in the game after aiming for the big pool and missing twice that the small pool turns into the bigger pool.
Bingle
Bingle
Survivor
Bingle
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #343 (ISO) » Tue Apr 06, 2021 5:07 pm

Post by Bingle »

In post 341, skitter30 wrote:
FMPOV: 50% of the time you are scum. You know that scum in the small pool cannot be the endgame scum, therefore your partner is likely high tier. I would wager a very significant portion of the time, Infinity's team would also be aware of this restriction. That implies that the scum in the other pool is someone who can be trusted to pull a game by themselves. Of the names I recognize, Pooky and Mena best fit that bill with an outside chance of HecticAlt. Mena/You doesn't look S/S. Pooky and you have a disproportionate likelihood of being grouped if unaligned.

All of that is circumstantial evidence that points to Pooky having a higher likelihood of being scum than anyone else. Also, if I flip PookyTown, you become significantly more likely to be town imo, which is helpful for solving the you/infinity 1v1 later.
Vanderscamp
Vanderscamp
Mafia Scum
Vanderscamp
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #344 (ISO) » Tue Apr 06, 2021 5:08 pm

Post by Vanderscamp »

In post 343, Bingle wrote:
In post 341, skitter30 wrote:
FMPOV: 50% of the time you are scum. You know that scum in the small pool cannot be the endgame scum, therefore your partner is likely high tier. I would wager a very significant portion of the time, Infinity's team would also be aware of this restriction. That implies that the scum in the other pool is someone who can be trusted to pull a game by themselves. Of the names I recognize, Pooky and Mena best fit that bill with an outside chance of HecticAlt. Mena/You doesn't look S/S. Pooky and you have a disproportionate likelihood of being grouped if unaligned.

All of that is circumstantial evidence that points to Pooky having a higher likelihood of being scum than anyone else. Also, if I flip PookyTown, you become significantly more likely to be town imo, which is helpful for solving the you/infinity 1v1 later.
Haven't read all of this but your second sentence is wrong.
There's nothing to stop scum in the small pool from being endgame scum if we're lynching into the big pool first.
Bingle
Bingle
Survivor
Bingle
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #345 (ISO) » Tue Apr 06, 2021 5:15 pm

Post by Bingle »

Endgame is the wrong word, tbh. More important? The scum in the big pool can solo the game. The scum in the little pool has to rely on the scum in the big pool to be able to hold their own much more.
Bingle
Bingle
Survivor
Bingle
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #346 (ISO) » Tue Apr 06, 2021 5:19 pm

Post by Bingle »

In post 342, Vanderscamp wrote:Just checked scum's chances of winning going for the big pool first with all the possible combinations and it checks out, it's definitely 45% to win as town with small pool first and 41% to win with big pool first, the people who are saying big pool first is mathematically better are definitely wrong.
I don't agree that small pool scum can just afford to get eliminated, either, there's a pretty decent chance that we get to a point in the game after aiming for the big pool and missing twice that the small pool turns into the bigger pool.
Hm, went back and checked, and you are correct. Still, the point I made in 319 is still relevant as the entire premise is that mathematically both options are similar enough to not matter. A couple of percentage points of EV doesn't really mean much, which is why you don't balance games solely on EV.
Bingle
Bingle
Survivor
Bingle
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #347 (ISO) » Tue Apr 06, 2021 5:59 pm

Post by Bingle »

I find myself intrigued in the lack of cross pool solving. Objectively, my opinions about the alignments of the larger pool are more valuable and the opinions of the people in the larger pool about us are more valuable. I get very little from the skitter/infinity interactions, because I know they're T/S.
NorwegianboyEE
NorwegianboyEE
GLADiator
NorwegianboyEE
GLADiator
GLADiator

Post Post #348 (ISO) » Tue Apr 06, 2021 6:27 pm

Post by NorwegianboyEE »

In post 185, Infinity 324 wrote:
In post 182, Bingle wrote:In the case that skitts is town, letting her have multiple phases to solve the game is a dangerous proposition. Similarly with me.
This makes sense, you sold me

VOTE: vander my first FoS, he's playing like he did in underage gun control (idk his town meta though)
Can you link it.
Norwe is spontaneous, has a stream-of-consciouness posting style, usually posts on catch-ups by commenting on past pages posts, gets rather fired up in certain moments in games, is relatively as playful as me in games and likes casual shitposting

- Bunno
NorwegianboyEE
NorwegianboyEE
GLADiator
NorwegianboyEE
GLADiator
GLADiator

Post Post #349 (ISO) » Tue Apr 06, 2021 6:30 pm

Post by NorwegianboyEE »

In post 195, Menalque wrote:
In post 194, Infinity 324 wrote:we may have a 50+ page d1
oh my sweet summer child
Add one more zero to that 50.
Norwe is spontaneous, has a stream-of-consciouness posting style, usually posts on catch-ups by commenting on past pages posts, gets rather fired up in certain moments in games, is relatively as playful as me in games and likes casual shitposting

- Bunno

Return to “Mayfair Club [Micro Games]”