Root - A Game of Woodland Might and Right

This forum is specifically for discussing non-Mafia games
(board, card, video, we're not picky)
Playing
such games should happen in the Mish Mash forum, of course.
Haschel Cedricson
Haschel Cedricson
Mr. Know It All
Haschel Cedricson
Mr. Know It All
Mr. Know It All

Root - A Game of Woodland Might and Right

Post Post #0 (ISO) » Sat Apr 10, 2021 5:30 pm

Post by Haschel Cedricson »

Root is a board game from Leder Games where you take control of a faction of Woodland creatures and aspire to either maintain your iron grip ruling over the mice/bunnies/foxes - or wrest power for yourself. It is one of my favorite board games because it is
completely asymmetric
. That means every player has completely different actions and methods of scoring. Some factions exert control over large swathes of the board, while others bide their time scoring paltry amounts until suddenly it's too late to stop them from turning into a juggernaut. I've been playing a lot on Tabletop Simulator, and hopefully some other people here either already enjoy the game or would be interested in learning.

So who are the factions?

The Marquise de Cat

The Marquise de Cat occupies the Woodland and wants to turn it into an industrial and military powerhouse. Each time the Marquise builds one of her buildings—a workshop, sawmill, or recruiter—she scores victory points. The more of the same building she has on the map, the more points she scores. However, to fuel ongoing construction, the Marquise must maintain and protect a strong, interconnected economy of wood.

The Eyrie Dynasties

The Eyrie Dynasties wish to restore their once- dignified kind to their former glory in the Woodland by retaking control of the forest clearings. During their Evening, the Eyrie score victory points based on the number of roosts on the map. The greater their presence in the Woodland, the greater their gains. However, the Eyrie are bound by their Decree, an ever-increasing set of mandated actions promised by their leader. Each turn, they must take all of the actions on their Decree, or else fall into turmoil.

The Woodland Alliance

The Woodland Alliance works to gain the sympathy of the various creatures of the Woodland who are dissatisfied with their present condition. Each time the Alliance places a sympathy token, they may score victory points. The more sympathy on the map they have, the more victory points they score. Gaining the sympathy of the people requires supporters. These supporters can also be put toward violent ends, inciting outright rebellion across the forest. When a revolt erupts, the Alliance will establish a base. Bases allow the Alliance to train officers, increasing their military flexibility.

The Vagabond

The Vagabond plays all sides of the conflict while going on quests to increase his renown throughout the wood. Each time the Vagabond improves his relationship with another faction, or removes a warrior belonging to a faction hostile toward him, he scores victory points. He can also complete quests to score victory points. To move and act effectively the Vagabond must manage his pack of items, expanding his selection by exploring the forest ruins and providing aid to other factions.

The Lizard Cult

Catering to the discarded creatures of the Woodland, the Lizard Cult seeks to overwhelm its foes through sheer force of will. Wherever the Cult rules clearings, it can build gardens, using word of mouth and beak to spread its gospel to the animals living there. The firmer its hold over the hearts of its followers, the more victory points the Cult can score by completing the proper rituals. While other factions spend cards to achieve their aims, the Cult acts chiefly by revealing cards and gradually gathering a set of ideal followers. These revealed cards are returned to the Cult's hand in Evening, unless discarded to score victory points. However, this gentler approach makes movement and battle difficult-the Cult can only take these actions with its radicalized acolytes, gained as the Cult's warriors are slaughtered while defending in battle.

The Riverfolk Company

When news arrived that the Woodland on the shore of the great lake was descending into all-out war, the Riverfolk Company quickly dispatched its officers to set up shop. As other factions purchase their services, the Riverfolk can further entrench their commercial interested by building trade posts along the river, scoring victory points. So too can they score points by raw accumulation of funds, but a big treasury makes for an easy target, so the Riverfolk must take care in expanding their operations across the dangerous forest.

The Underground Duchy

The Underground Duchy wants to show the foreign creatures of the Woodland that they would be better off as subjects. As they set up frontier outposts to show their power in the Woodland, the Duchy can sway ministers to the cause, scoring victory points and diverting more of the Duchy's resources. But be careful-a reversal of fortune could spell public humiliation, leading ministers to abandon the task.

The Corvid Conspiracy

The Corvid Conspiracy seeks to strong-arm the Woodland into submission by completing criminal plots, scoring victory points each time they flip one. The more revealed plots on the map, the more they score. Misdirection is critical-if their plans are too obvious, the Corvids risk exposure. To avoid this, they must recruit carefully and look for any opportunities for subterfuge and extortion.

So anyway, because each faction interacts differently with the others, no two games feel the same. It's a lot of fun and if you have Tabletop Simulator you should definitely consider trying it out.
Flea The Magician
Flea The Magician
Fae/Faer
Jack of All Trades
Flea The Magician
Fae/Faer
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades
Pronoun: Fae/Faer

Post Post #1 (ISO) » Sat Apr 10, 2021 11:00 pm

Post by Flea The Magician »

Gives me Armallo vibes.

I'm down for learning this :D dibs of Corvid Consp!
Korina
Korina
Ask, prefers they
Recruiter
Korina
Ask, prefers they
Recruiter
Recruiter
Pronoun: Ask, prefers they

Post Post #2 (ISO) » Sun Apr 11, 2021 1:34 am

Post by Korina »

I want Lizard Cult
GTKAS:
The most recent one and the only one that actually matters. | ROOMS HAVE AIR ~ Who | Not_Mafia did not submit a naive cop action. big mistake there tbh ~ xyzzy
I dissociate, any signed posts are from my headmates. Refer to GTKAS, or DM me for more information.

#
C
u
l
t
s
A
r
e
n
t
B
a
s
t
a
r
d
| Plurality Discussion Thread
caledfwitch
caledfwitch
they/them
Goon
caledfwitch
they/them
Goon
Goon
Pronoun: they/them

Post Post #3 (ISO) » Sun Apr 11, 2021 11:36 am

Post by caledfwitch »

i am a vagabond main
must i have a gender.. is it not enough for me to simply b kinda hot sometimes

2x mafiascum member of the month !! wowowowee !!!
tris
tris
she
Splatoon Tetris
tris
she
Splatoon Tetris
Splatoon Tetris
Pronoun: she

Post Post #4 (ISO) » Sun Apr 11, 2021 11:52 am

Post by tris »

the woodland alliance seems cool
here's what it says
Infinity 324
Infinity 324
they (pl.)
Survivor
Infinity 324
they (pl.)
Survivor
Survivor
Pronoun: they (pl.)

Post Post #5 (ISO) » Sun Apr 11, 2021 1:00 pm

Post by Infinity 324 »

This game seems like it's a lot of fun but my experience with it hasn't been great so far, it seems like due to the asymmetry some games aren't particularly close. People who have played the game more than me agreed that the games I played were particularly bad
Show
new GTKAS

<3 you are valid

plural system, we may or may not sign
Haschel Cedricson
Haschel Cedricson
Mr. Know It All
Haschel Cedricson
Mr. Know It All
Mr. Know It All

Post Post #6 (ISO) » Sun Apr 11, 2021 7:09 pm

Winner: Marquise de Cat (Pooky)
Also Playing: Eyrie Dynasty (Haschel), Woodland Alliance (Tris), Lizard Cult (Korina)

The Lizard Cult and the Woodland Alliance tend to start extremely slow and then turn into unstoppable juggernauts late game. The Woodland Alliance had reached juggernaut stage and the Lizard Cult wasn't far behind so this game wasn't
quite
as one-sided as the final score appears. Nevertheless, Pooky was able to get his sawmill engine up early and I had the world's worst decree options (seriously, I went into turmoil on the first turn) preventing me from slowing him down. By the time anybody had both the military and the adjacency to oppose him it was too late.
Nexus
Nexus
He
miss
Nexus
He
miss
miss
Pronoun: He

Post Post #7 (ISO) » Mon Apr 12, 2021 9:22 am

Post by Nexus »

The game is on offer on Steam atm.
Trans rights are human rights.
Haschel Cedricson
Haschel Cedricson
Mr. Know It All
Haschel Cedricson
Mr. Know It All
Mr. Know It All

Post Post #8 (ISO) » Mon Apr 12, 2021 4:58 pm

The Steam version is really slick and makes a lot of things super easy compared to Tabletop Simulator!

The downside is it only has Cats/Eyrie/Woodland/Vagabond, with the Otters/Lizards coming out in a few weeks as DLC.
Haschel Cedricson
Haschel Cedricson
Mr. Know It All
Haschel Cedricson
Mr. Know It All
Mr. Know It All

Post Post #9 (ISO) » Wed Apr 14, 2021 7:23 pm

Winner: Woodland Alliance (Tris)
Also Playing: Eyrie Dynasty (Haschel), Underground Duchy (Silverclaw), Riverfolk Company (Pooky)

Remember last game when I mentioned that the Woodland Alliance had reached the juggernaut stage but the game ended before Tris could take advantage? That didn't happen here; as Tris scored a whopping 10+ points in a single turn to seal the victory. I played much better as Eyrie this time and was prepared to notch a 10-point turn of my own before the game ended. Meanwhile the Riverfolk were slowly but steadily gaining points, holding on to their dividends and saving their funds for a potential explosion of trading posts. Underground Duchy did a fine job of swaying ministers and protecting buildings, paying the Price of Failure only once thanks to a WA Favor of the Foxes card. All in all it was an incredibly balanced game, up until that last turn when all of a sudden it wasn't.
Haschel Cedricson
Haschel Cedricson
Mr. Know It All
Haschel Cedricson
Mr. Know It All
Mr. Know It All

Post Post #10 (ISO) » Wed Apr 21, 2021 8:01 pm

Winner: Eyrie Dynasty (Tris)
Also Playing: Corvid Conspiracy (Haschel), Lord of the Hundreds (Tanis)

This was our first time any of us played with the Lord of the Hundreds, a new faction that will be coming out in the next expansion. They are basically a mob of rats that leave destruction in their wake at the cost of finding it hard to defend their territory if their warlord is too far away. Tris shot into an early lead as the rats were focused on securing the southern part of the board and the crows didn't have the manpower. Despite getting a few plots on the board early, soon Tris and Tanis both had gigantic armies on the board and prevented me from finding anywhere new to get a strong hold. With the Corvids and Hundreds around 10 points, the Eyrie managed to get all the way up to 24 and it looked like they couldn't be stopped. Despite not being a strong military faction, the crows took out the only roost the Eyrie had in a fox clearing, forcing them into Turmoil and a five-point loss. Then the Lord of the Hundreds coalesced his army into a murder ball and took out a bunch more roosts. The Eyrie was crippled, and there was finally breathing room on the board. A few quick plots later the Corvids were back in the game, managing to score quickly up to 25 points with a facedown plot (and four faceup plots) left on the board. Alas, the rats took out the plot, preventing a sure Corvid victory. The Eyrie managed to barely limp to the finish line a turn later.

Very, very close game. The rats are an interesting faction and I'm excited to see them in action again.
Ariel
Ariel
none please
edited 449 times in total
Ariel
none please
Pronoun: none please

Post Post #11 (ISO) » Mon Apr 03, 2023 3:28 pm

Post by Ariel »

bump.

I like the theme but have been apprehensive to try this game. do you have like a nonthemed pros/cons list for the factions so i can better compare to what gameplay I enjoy?
Gregor M. Silverclaw
Gregor M. Silverclaw
Not She/Her
Townie
Gregor M. Silverclaw
Not She/Her
Townie
Townie
Pronoun: Not She/Her

Post Post #12 (ISO) » Tue Apr 04, 2023 11:41 am

Post by Gregor M. Silverclaw »

I'm going to take this time to egopost for us.
If the only path forward is difficult, it's still better than none. I'll meet you there.

Headmate within
The Den
. When one is not enough, there are always more.
Silverclaw
is the main account.
Haschel Cedricson
Haschel Cedricson
Mr. Know It All
Haschel Cedricson
Mr. Know It All
Mr. Know It All

Post Post #13 (ISO) » Tue Apr 04, 2023 1:53 pm

In post 11, Ariel wrote: bump.

I like the theme but have been apprehensive to try this game. do you have like a nonthemed pros/cons list for the factions so i can better compare to what gameplay I enjoy?
Marquise de Cat:
PROS:
Biggest army in the game, starts with control of the forest, very good at policing other factions. Is the faction with the largest "reach", which is a measure of how much direct influence they can exert on the board at any given moment.
CONS
Wants to do a lot of things but can't do all of them in one turn; you get three actions period unless you spend cards.

Eyrie Dynasties:
PROS:
Another strong military. Starts the game with two actions per turn but gets to add one or two to that number every turn. Quite a bit of flexibility to set up what those actions are. Scoring is slow and steady; generally you will be the stopwatch challenging the other players to beat you before your score becomes inevitable.
CONS
That flexibility I mentioned in choosing the actions? Once you've chosen them, that flexibility goes away. You *must* perform each of those actions exactly, or you lose points and reset back to two actions. You are particularly vulnerable to other players fucking with you; if one of your actions requires you to battle in a fox clearing then your opponents can force you to fail by moving all of their troops out of the fox clearings or otherwise preventing you from moving into one. Also, while it is nice to have the steady scoring, you also will not have any quick bursts.

Woodland Alliance:
CONS:
Yes, I'm listing cons first. You start with basically nothing. For most of the game it is insanely easy for the other players to take out your sympathy tokens. Getting a foothold on the board can be a challenge. Your max army size is incredibly limited.
PROS:
Once you have your foot in the door you are very difficult to take out. Your army is fantastic at defense, and while you spent most of the game with single-digit victory points there is no other faction that can just explode and take the victory in one turn.

Riverfolk Company:
PROS:
You get to sell cards and services to other players! This helps the other player, but in exchange you get funds that you can spend on more actions. Crafting is very easy and other players can't take away your crafting stations once you've built them.
CONS:
If other players absolutely refuse to buy anything from you then you will have a hard time. You need to rely on table talk more than any other faction, convincing them *why* they need your services.

Lizard Cult:
PROS:
Can suddenly appear anywhere, behind everyone's defenses. Other players are disincentivized to attack you because your defeated units make you stronger on future turns. Strong scoring-burst potential.
CONS:
Very low reach. Most of your actions can only be done in one type of clearing per turn, and while you can affect what type that will be, so can your opponents so you may be locked out of doing the actions you want or need to do.

Underground Duchy:
PROS:
Builds a large army quickly, and can tunnel to anywhere on the board. Easy to build up card draw power. One of the better crafting factions since your crafting phase is at the end of the turn.
CONS:
Requires more of a defensive mindset than other factions, since the penalty for losing a building is enormous. Generally has the fewest actions per turn in the game.

Corvid Conspiracy:
PROS:
Can really mess with other players with the different plots available. Very good burst scoring potential. Can infiltrate anywhere in the map easily, and movement is easier than it is for any other faction.
CONS:
In a way the crows are an offensive-oriented version of the Woodland Alliance; their starting position is weak and they also require finding a foothold.

I have not played with the other two factions enough to give a list for them.

EDIT: I forgot the Vagabond. Honestly, the Vagabond is so different from the other factions (and there are so many types of Vagabond) that there's no way to do a real pros/cons list. But basically the Vagabond is like playing an RPG. You use items, do quests, and basically sort of do your own thing except for when you pop into a clearing to ruin everyone's day.
Invisibility
Invisibility
he or she
Jack of All Trades
Invisibility
he or she
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades
Pronoun: he or she

Post Post #14 (ISO) » Fri May 05, 2023 4:44 pm

Post by Invisibility »

I want to play this game someday
Invisibility is actually AWESOME!
Haschel Cedricson
Haschel Cedricson
Mr. Know It All
Haschel Cedricson
Mr. Know It All
Mr. Know It All

Post Post #15 (ISO) » Sun Jul 02, 2023 5:35 pm

Winner: Vagabond (Silverclaw)
Also Playing: Corvid Conspiracy (Mallowgeno), Keepers In Iron (Haschel Cedricson), Lord of the Hundreds (Deathnote), Eyrie Dynasty (kdowns)

This game started off dominated by the rats and crows, as each was able to spread across the board and cause rule problems for the other non-vagabond factions. The Eyrie faced an early turmoil but was able to recover. Everybody sort of forgot to punch the Vagabond, and by the time we realized Silverclaw had the potential to snowball to victory it was too late. The Lord of the Hundred made a last-ditch effort by trading in his victory condition for the Bird Dominance card, which required him to win by controlling two opposite corners. Unfortunately, his attempt at driving the Eyrie out ran face-first into some ambush cards, leaving the Vagabond an easy opportunity to win.
Isis
Isis
she/her, not they
Best in Class
Isis
she/her, not they
Best in Class
Best in Class
Pronoun: she/her, not they

Post Post #16 (ISO) » Wed Jul 05, 2023 8:35 am

Post by Isis »

haha bird dominamce
"Let us say that you are right and there are two worlds. How much, then, is this 'other world' worth to you? What do you have there that you do not have here? Money? Power? Something worth causing the prince so much pain for?'"
"Well, I..."
"What? Nothing? You would make the prince suffer over... nothing?"
Haschel Cedricson
Haschel Cedricson
Mr. Know It All
Haschel Cedricson
Mr. Know It All
Mr. Know It All

Post Post #17 (ISO) » Fri Jul 07, 2023 4:32 pm

Winner: Lord Of The Hundreds (Haschel Cedricson)
Also Playing: kdowns (Marquise de Cat), Silverclaw (Riverfolk Company), Mallowgeno (Woodland Alliance)

My first Rat victory! The game started off with the Marquise getting their wood engine up and running. The Woodland Alliance tried to spread sympathy in Marquise territory but was rebuffed; they later ended up popping up a base directly behind the Lord of the Hundreds' back line. By looting crafted items from the other players the rats were able to use their sudden influx of actions to immediately destroy the base, knocking the Woodland Alliance off the board. They would never recover. Meanwhile the cats were recruiting and managed to play the bird dominance card with a sizable army in both corners. With the Riverfolk and Woodland Alliance unable to stop the Marquise from winning, it was up to the Lord of the Hundreds to advance the warlord into one of those corners, delaying a cat victory. The cats cleverly pivoted to the other two corner clearings. Unfortunately, though, their advance left too many buildings and wood caches undefended, and a roving death ball of murderous rats left a trail of destruction in their path until the Lord of the Hundreds ruled supreme over the forest.

On the last turn, the Woodland Alliance chose to activate the mouse dominance card for the sole purpose of not having their score marker show up in the final screenshot.
BBmolla
BBmolla
Open Book
BBmolla
Open Book
Open Book

Post Post #18 (ISO) » Thu Aug 17, 2023 6:19 pm

Post by BBmolla »

Ey Mafiascum Root Digital Game?

I don't have time to TTS but I've got all released DLC and people with just the base game can join if I host and play all factions.
Come see me in the Great American Melodrama in Oceano

Return to “The Arcade”