WALRUS SQUARED (feat. me and hellbooks)

For completed/abandoned Mish Mash Games.
hellbooks
hellbooks
She
Goon
hellbooks
She
Goon
Goon
Pronoun: She

Post Post #4 (isolation #0) » Sun May 02, 2021 12:17 pm

Post by hellbooks »

In post 0, tris wrote:submit songs in these categories
i will listen to them and hellbooks will too
note: BOTH me and trish will be submitting songs and scoring each others. however, we will not be scoring our own songs, which means we will jsut be getting half the points that other people will be getting
In post 0, tris wrote:i don't know what hellbooks will do, but i will be trying to guess who'se was what, and if im right, you lose .05 points
i'll do this too. i'll also do the thing where i drop your lowest score
In post 0, tris wrote:you get bonus points for being in our personal top threes. you can get the bonus for both top threes if your so lucky!!
a proposed bonus score breakdown was as follows:

first place: 1 bonus point
second place for tris: 0.8 bonus points
second place for hellbooks: 0.7 bonus points
third place: 0.5 bonus points

will wait for tris's third signature on that one though

i assume we're accepting submissions (PMs are preferred) at any time and maybe in the future a deadline will be articulated. the deadline will be after schadd's walrus ends?

MY SCORING EXACTMENTS:

In post 0, tris wrote:i will be scoring with no consistency. i'll make it up as i go along. both my overall enjoyment and catfittedness will factor into it.
me too. in particular i think some catfits are more multidimensional than others so there might be multiple catfit score components depending on the cat. however, the ratio for enjoyment and catfit will be the same as schadd's for me, so 3.5 of my points will be dedicated to enjoyment and 1.5 of my points will be dedicated to catfit. that way you can still use the same general strategy you used for schadd's walrus if you are a returning submitter. i will be deducting up to 0.4 points for familiarity although you can expect me to be somewhat lenient in this regard. however if you submit a song i am exceptionally familiar with such as cocteau twins i might deduct a bit more.

in summary:
5 total points from each of us.

3.5 of my points will be enjoyment
1.5 of my points will be catfit
-0.4 penalty for songs i'm familiar with
-0.05 penalty for songs i guess are yours
bonus points for placing highly and perhaps some exceptional song achievements

MY CATEGORY EXAMPLES:

cat 2, hellby
: iso me in the monthly music thread or schadd's songs thread or look at my walrus submissions
cat 4, wandering
: cha seungmin - what the flowers want to say, sulli - dorothy, ummm... like every fleet foxes song
cat 5, space
: sza - garden, tris candy clause - into the deep time one sun. i would give boards of canada - diving station like a 3.3/3 catfit score
cat 6, avatars
: terry allen - 30 years war waltz, weatherday - come in. i would give snail mail - pristine like a 3.2/3 catfit score
cat 7, piano
: snail's house - warp star (linked to the moment of the fake piano patch that i love) if you had a mind to submit an electronic song. any other aspects of this category should be kinda straightforward!
cat 8, makes us smile
: bruno pernadas - galaxy, dj sab the teenage dj - next to me, dolly parton and jimmy fallon - all i want for christmas is you cover <-- this is just like a song artist and song title that would make me smile in bemusement and confusion

cat 3, paired:
brie larson - hope has wings (barbie and the magic of pegasus ost) & cocteau twins - wolf in the breast are two songs that share the same opening riff with hilariously different results which i like to imagine are in dialogue with each other. this is kind of a ridiculously specific example so i wouldn't really expect this to be of too much guidance.
big thief - shark smile & chainsmokers - closer also have elements of correspondence and tension. they're both about fleeting intersections in a general feeling of unsettledness. concretely they both anchor themselves to like, cities (closer mentions boulder and tuscon, shark smile mentions winona and des moines). there's also some obvious interesting open conflict in pairing a widely beloved indie song with a widely behated pop song because the way that the ideas of the song are both communicated and consumed are completely different.
the weeknd - until i bleed out & cocteau twins - blue bell knoll example of a great transition, both musically (very similar harmonies) and in vibes, plus it's a last track (after hours) into a first track (blue bell knoll). they're also both these songs that portray a deep lament and the instrumental choices feel like in dialogue with each other as well

at the very least i will definitely give a decent amount of points to a song that samples another song in a really cool and unexpected way or something similar to that
Last edited by hellbooks on Wed May 05, 2021 2:56 pm, edited 3 times in total.
why does your ferret thing have a waterfall?
your guess is as good as mine
hellbooks
hellbooks
She
Goon
hellbooks
She
Goon
Goon

Post Post #20 (isolation #1) » Sun May 02, 2021 7:10 pm

Post by hellbooks »

In post 16, Cheetory6 wrote:the pair category is proving very very difficult q_q
i was worried about that and i guess the only thing i can say now is i feel like maybe the problem is that there are too many angles so feel free to just pick two songs that vibe well together and let our active imaginations fill in the rest? sorry!

also feel free to leave cats blank if you want (for example let one cat be dropped as your lowest score)
hellbooks
hellbooks
She
Goon
hellbooks
She
Goon
Goon

Post Post #24 (isolation #2) » Mon May 03, 2021 10:09 am

Post by hellbooks »

probably not but not sure? probably could make it do that if we all wanted that.

also: if people are struggling with the paired category how would yall feel about like a mock training event wherein you can just throw 2 any old songs at me in the thread and i will assign them a catfit score accompanied by a little writeup? would that help at all
hellbooks
hellbooks
She
Goon
hellbooks
She
Goon
Goon

Post Post #25 (isolation #3) » Mon May 03, 2021 10:15 am

Post by hellbooks »

In post 24, hellbooks wrote:probably not but not sure? probably could make it do that if we all wanted that.

also: if people are struggling with the paired category how would yall feel about like a mock training event wherein you can just throw 2 any old songs at me in the thread and i will assign them a catfit score accompanied by a little writeup? would that help at all
inconvenient bagebottom
hellbooks
hellbooks
She
Goon
hellbooks
She
Goon
Goon

Post Post #33 (isolation #4) » Mon May 03, 2021 12:19 pm

Post by hellbooks »

In post 32, Davsto wrote:this is a very productive and useful post and in no way an attempt to cover up a doublepost
paired posts category.

and yea sure i'll link some examples for my self in my page 1 post. you can expect that sometime in the next day or next next day
hellbooks
hellbooks
She
Goon
hellbooks
She
Goon
Goon

Post Post #49 (isolation #5) » Wed May 05, 2021 2:43 pm

Post by hellbooks »

In post 34, caledfwitch wrote:i was wondering if you had a more concrete deadline?
In post 38, Isis wrote:What's the deadline
how about, let's have a soft deadline for like May 19 which is 2 weeks from now and if someone objects, most importantly tris, we can revisit this deadline.
(expired on 2021-05-19 23:59:59)

In post 31, Davsto wrote:any chance u could do the Thing Wot Schadd Did and include a link or two to songs that fit each cat to you? no worries if not i get that's no small effort but it really helped a lot with getting the vibes for some of the more eclectic cats
updated the post.
Last edited by hellbooks on Wed May 05, 2021 2:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
hellbooks
hellbooks
She
Goon
hellbooks
She
Goon
Goon

Post Post #51 (isolation #6) » Wed May 05, 2021 2:47 pm

Post by hellbooks »

added an hour
hellbooks
hellbooks
She
Goon
hellbooks
She
Goon
Goon

Post Post #56 (isolation #7) » Wed May 05, 2021 3:08 pm

Post by hellbooks »

In post 54, schadd_ wrote:
In post 4, hellbooks wrote:big thief - shark smile & chainsmokers - closer
besties : )
hellbooks
hellbooks
She
Goon
hellbooks
She
Goon
Goon

Post Post #91 (isolation #8) » Thu May 20, 2021 8:56 am

Post by hellbooks »

people who have submittedmushshagana <3
shafted <3
cheetory <6
isis <3
schadd <3
chevy <3
pj <3
SIRIUS!!!!
CALEDFWITCH!!!!

people who expressed some level of intent or interest, who i want to ask if they need more time OR did i simply miss you in all the submissions that tris has been forwarding to meDAVSTO????
GEORGEBAILY????
SHIKI????
BUGESPREAY????
TRIS????

HELLBEWKS????

people who seem to not have a strong interest in submitting but i would love if they coughed up another submissionsleepykrew (i would simply be hyped about what theme you will produce next)
every one else who was in the last walrus
every one else
Last edited by hellbooks on Sun May 23, 2021 6:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
hellbooks
hellbooks
She
Goon
hellbooks
She
Goon
Goon

Post Post #94 (isolation #9) » Thu May 20, 2021 10:49 am

Post by hellbooks »

In post 92, SleepyKrew wrote:fine give me a month
Guess: thats when the expansion to your gay video game releases
hellbooks
hellbooks
She
Goon
hellbooks
She
Goon
Goon

Post Post #116 (isolation #10) » Fri Jun 04, 2021 2:08 pm

Post by hellbooks »

maybe we can just do a "chevre deadline" (anyone can submit until the conclusion of the 1st cat's reveal and if it's too late for us to adequately judge it, it can be the dropped cat)
hellbooks
hellbooks
She
Goon
hellbooks
She
Goon
Goon

Post Post #125 (isolation #11) » Sat Jun 12, 2021 7:02 pm

Post by hellbooks »

we will do ones that are good for a variety of timezones and also feel free to request certain times as well
hellbooks
hellbooks
She
Goon
hellbooks
She
Goon
Goon

Post Post #131 (isolation #12) » Sun Jun 13, 2021 9:44 am

Post by hellbooks »

Here's the scoreboard data -- the writeups for this cat are coming soon! Thank you for coming and see you next time!

edit: oops @ highlighted cell but also i'm not changing it
hellbooks
hellbooks
She
Goon
hellbooks
She
Goon
Goon

Post Post #134 (isolation #13) » Sun Jun 13, 2021 9:55 am

Post by hellbooks »

bonus orb is in the spreadsheet and will be reflected in the next update thank you for reminding me about it
hellbooks
hellbooks
She
Goon
hellbooks
She
Goon
Goon

Post Post #157 (isolation #14) » Sun Jun 20, 2021 5:39 pm

Post by hellbooks »

thank you to everyone who came. the updated spreadsheet is here. a lot of neck and neck pairs.
tomorrow i will update this post with the list of songs, comments, and track links.

a new day and a new edit... here it is.

Spoiler: accidentally placed an extra spoiler and didn't have the heart to delete it. opening this will only bring you sorrow
trish
~~t~~

place holder

hellby
~~hb~~

placeholder

Spoiler: 1st SHAFT.ED (supergroovalisticprosifunkstication)
1st
Parliament - Supergroovalisticprosifunkstication

(tris: 8th // hellbooks: 1st)

trish
~~t~~

it's got funky ufo sounds. it goes on a long time doing things that don't interest me tho
guess:hellb WRONG

hellby
~~hb~~

LIKE:
6.9 (4.9 w.d.)
fuck it... 7.0 (5/5)
CATFIT: 2.1
UNFAMILIARITY: -0.3
SUSPECTED USER: schadd maybz
ACTUAL USER: SCHAFTEDD???????
MEDAL FOR BEST TRACK NAME: oh yes, there it is.
PLAYLIST POINTS: 0.4

11.2 (9.2 +
1st place bonus
)

firstly, the way the keys just float in is like the introduction of a totally exhilarating weightlessness that carries on for the whole song.

a lot of the submissions go for this otherworldly vibe and i enjoyed that there's kind of a subversion of that, a song that just lets itself jam and find the human element while incorporating these astro-zero-g sounds into it. the keys are fucking cold. the drums are fucking pocket. this song is fucking preposterous. i did an absolute stank face for the whole thing. if you didnt even submit this song for the hellbooks cat then i am genuinely concerned for what absolute heater you are going to deliver for that one.

i gave -0.1 unfamilarity for having listened to several parliament songs and -0.2 unfamiliarity for having listened to maggot brain by funkadelic many times. feel free to litigate this when this is posted, Dear Submitter, although i suspect you'll be satisfied with your point total.

i gave 0.4 playlist points for two reasons: one, the playlist i added it to is one of the first playlists i ever made (title: if you change your mind) and two, it is the same playlist that contains the song that i submitted to this cat.

Spoiler: 2nd SIRIUS9121 (synchrogazer)
2nd
水樹奈々 - Synchrogazer (道明寺ここあ cover)

(tris: 6th // hellbooks: 2nd)

trish
~~t~~

8.0this is fun and zooms from place to place making sure i don't get bored which is considerate. initially i thought this didn't have much space, but i think we're in a a really fast spaceship actually.
the guess that was left out here by accident was sirius -.1

hellby
~~hb~~

LIKE: 6.7 (4.8 w.d.)
UNFAMILIARITY: 0
SUSPECTED USER: Sirius
ACTUAL USER: Sirius (-0.1)
PLAYLIST POINTS: 0.1

10.2 (8.8 +
2nd place bonus
)

I was right about sirius framing himself better than i could ever frame him. that being said i'll let the score speak for itself here. the chord changes are just like a literal space travel situation in themselves for how insane they are. too many catfitting instruments and little embellishments to even name. i'll shout the rapid synth pulse near the beginning of the song and energetic strings. that solo at 1:43 uaewghdushggh.

this particular cover seems to be not present on spotify but i added the original version to a playlist for not falling back asleep. i'm going to max out the points to 0.1 here due to it not being the cover version which i think is better

Spoiler: 3rd CHEETORY6 (spindrift)
3rd
Colin Stetson - Spindrift

(tris: 2nd // hellbooks: 8th)

trish
~~t~~

this spins around in space. i like how it shifts back and forth between different chords. it has a feeling of perpetual movement. it starts to build a little sometimes, but then dissipates. it feels like it could go on forever. forever spinning in space. i like the breathing sounds.
guess: shaft.ed WONG
2nd place bonus whatever it is [editor's note: it is 1.6 for tris and 1.4 for hellbooks]

hellby
~~hb~~

LIKE: 4.6 (3.8/5)
CATFIT: 2
UNFAMILIARITY: 0.1
SUSPECTED USER: shafty. : )
ACTUAL USER: CHEETORY MOTHER FUCKING 6????

Totally shocked by the saxophony. A very smart and good take on the cat. The chord suspension at 4:48 is really good. I saw the name colin stetson and was like oh this is gonna be some cowboy song, contributing to the shock and subsequent 0.1 unfamiliarity point. My only qualm is i'd say it kind of runs a bit long. But I think it has enough of that "getting lost in the vibe" quality so that I don't think much of it.

Spoiler: 4th CHEVRE (ufo)
4th
ESG - UFO

(tris: 1st // hellbooks: 11th)

trish
~~t~~

Ufo sounds!. where are they coming from@!!!!!!11 the gonnna catch me!!!!!!! anxiety. cool rhythms.
guess: MUSHSHAGANA WRONG

hellby
~~hb~~

LIKE: 4.5 (3.7 w.d.)
CATFIT: 1.4
SUSPECTED USER: Cheetory6
ACTUAL USER: chevre

I have recently been loving this idea of sounds that are strongly not traditional rock/otherworldly of some sort tastefully set to a rock groove. (
see: tanya tagaq - retribution
). while I think the surprising effect doesn't linger very long it was still a great moment. That being said despite the title there's some downward bass movement to this + the drumming that feels particularly grounding.

Spoiler: 5th MUSHSHAGANA (patterns in the sky)
5th
Tineidae - Patterns in the Sky

(tris: 3rd // hellbooks: 7th)

trish
~~t~~

i like this a lot. there's a part that starts out really quiet at first so that's cool. there's a lot of cool touches like that. it's hard for me to write about this because i keep getting lost in the music. there's one part that strongly reminds me of majora's mask final hours. also there's a little bit at the start that reminds me of riven the sequel to myst.
guess: chevre WRONG
+.5[sic] for 3rd

hellby
~~hb~~

LIKE: 5.0 (4/5)
CATFIT: 1.9
SUSPECTED USER: i have no choice but to guess mushshagana she's the last one i have to match i've already guessed everyone else for things and i dont want to go back and rearrange cuz lazy
ACTUAL USER: oh my god mushshagana i'm so sorry i literally didn't even think it was you this was literally an accident i'm so sorry (-0.1)
MEDAL FOR GETTING 6.9 POINTS: yes. which could not have happened had i not guessed you correctly

taking its time to lay down the pieces of the atmosphere here. i find the pair of do re mi fa so boops to be really calming. the first like real chord interaction at 2:48 is really solidly impactful, like the sudden presence of something: the camera has suddenly panned to some planet after drifting around. there's a festival of bad vibes in the comments. i added this to a playlist of reading music.

Spoiler: 6th PJ (porchfire)
6th
The Flashbulb - Porchfire

(tris: 4th // hellbooks: tied 5th)

trish
~~t~~

this is very chill and relaxed. i like all the phases it goes through, but through it all, you got that constant DING sound. yea, it's got a spaceous feel. i'm gently bumping around in space.
guess: cheetory WRONG

hellby
~~hb~~

LIKE: 5.5 (4.2 w.d.)
CATFIT: 1.8
UNFAMILIARITY: -0.2
SUSPECTED USER: PJ
ACTUAL USER: PJ (-0.1)

i like the blyearts that happen at the end of each loop. there are also distant beep bwoops that are workhorses at the catfit job as well as the pulsing synth pad. good drums. i like this song a lot ^_^ i should listen to more of them

Spoiler: 7th SCHADD (stalagmites & helictites)
7th
Lucy Gooch - Stalagmites & Helictites

(tris: 5th // hellbooks: tied 5th)

trish
~~t~~

this is beautiful. the voices blur into the background sounds. um i like it
guess: schadd -.1

hellby
~~hb~~

LIKE: 4.8 (3.9/5)
CATFIT: 2.2
SUSPECTED USER: chevre
ACTUAL USER: SCHADD WAS GOOCH?????
MEDAL FOR BEST ARTIST NAME: yes

let's get the obvious out of the way. best artist name of the bunch so much so that I was considering the best artist/best track to be a one-time thing and the decision was singlehandedly made by this submission. i love this idea of a song about, presumably caves, having this echoey, dank, vast, spacewards feel. which it does both in real life and in this song so that interaction is demonstrated really well. the harmonies are definitely space.

if not for the existence of another song this would have also won the best track name medal.

Spoiler: 8th ISIS (the forest of hope)
8th
Pikmin OST - The Forest of Hope

(tris: 11th // hellbooks: 3rd)

trish
~~t~~

4.5 (editor's note: this score was bumped up during the reveals to a 5.5.)
this one betrays its true location in it's title. i thought it was by a lake, but it's actually in a forest. either way, neither place is in space unfortunately. also tragically, this bores me. it keeps repeating itself :/
guess: isis -.1

hellby
~~hb~~

LIKE: 5.8 (4.4/5)
CATFIT: 1.6
SUSPECTED USER: lichrally whomst? caled?
ACTUAL USER: I GOT CALED AND ISIS SWITCHED
APOLOGY POINTS FOR HAVING NEVER PLAYED PIKMIN: i feel nothing. 0

8.4 (7.4 +
3rd place bonus
)

another good non-space space analogue here: dense, mysterious, deep, etc. that uncertain jumpy interval followed by a string trill is something that i found intensely, intensely emotional. i think the greatest catfit is contributed by those low piano cluster chords which has this pitch black darkness to it. i mean this is like great. the drumming works against the cat here -- like there's a strong aspect of something feeling like it's "over you" like a canopy of leaves rather than some boundless vast void?

Spoiler: 9th DAVSTO (what is the light)
9th
The Flaming Lips - What is the Light

(tris: 7th // hellbooks: tied 9th)

trish
~~t~~

hey, the word space is in this one. and we've got spaceship boops, and there's some echo-y hey this is about space stuff. but, on the whole it's less evocative of that to me compared to some others in this. i like the moment where we land differently than before at the end of a line. this is moderately appealing to me.
guess: davsto -.1

hellby
~~hb~~

LIKE: 4.8 (3.9/5)
CATFIT: 1.9
UNFAMILIARITY: -0.2
SUSPECTED USER: davy
ACTUAL USER: davy (-0.1)

I like the verticality of the singing duet with the low piano definitely goes a lot of way towards "space" making which is a fun hidden double meaning which is totally synergistic (
see: sza garden, which i cited as an example for this category
). there's the occasional boop, definitely a standard. Electric organ is an unexpectedly huge catfitter although i should have expected that i think. I understand the lyrics association here although I didn't particularly find myself drawn to them.

Spoiler: 10th CALEDFWITCH (starlight)
10th
Jai Wolf - Starlight

(tris: 10th // hellbooks: tied 9th)

trish
~~t~~

so, this talks about the night sky and stuff. i guess this fills a big space. mostly not space i think. it has a nice drive to it, but it does not capture my interest very much.
guess: caled -.1

hellby
~~hb~~

CATFIT: 1.8
SUSPECTED USER: Isis
ACTUAL USER: caledfwitch

i like the fake pianos. this kind of music i associate with rando cohort from song game. the patch layers definitely what i was expecting to be a standardly really good element of the catfit! the only thing I don't like is the guy's voice which is unfortunately a prominent aspect of it especially when there's that line where everything else cuts out for emotional impact

Spoiler: 11th TRISH (reverso)
11th
Ryuichi Sakamoto - Reverso

(hellbooks: 4th)

trish
~~t~~

editors note: this was trish's song ^_^

hellby
~~hb~~

CATFIT: 2.6
SUSPECTED USER: tris
ACTUAL USER: tris (-0.1)
DID TRIS GET THE HIGHEST CATFIT TWICE IN A ROW: spoiler on future catfits! yes

i like the sort of tape degrading noises aspect to it a lot for the catfit: in particular there's this layer of sound really quiet in the background, like this fuzzy layer, that feels like such a blanket of discommunication that really creates this space-like atmosphere. and the various upper noises that come sporadically are really powerfully evocative of twinkling stars and just like things coming in and out of existence.

Spoiler: 12th HEELBEWKS (city lights)
12th
Jinmenusagi, Evo+ - City Lights (Pa's Lam System Remix)

(tris: 9th)

trish
~~t~~

[points found elsewhere]
this song appears to be about city lights and not space lights. it's really fun tho!!!
guess:pj [editor's note: this was wrong]

hellby
~~hb~~

this is my own song and the goal as it was with schadd's drum cat is to frame sirius. altho i'm sure sirius is effortlessly gonna submit something that is even more sirius than this. this song to me has the vibe of a rocket blastoff. you will hear it at the end. warning: there is a gun sound in this song.
Last edited by hellbooks on Tue Jun 22, 2021 4:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
hellbooks
hellbooks
She
Goon
hellbooks
She
Goon
Goon

Post Post #172 (isolation #15) » Wed Jun 23, 2021 6:21 pm

Post by hellbooks »

In post 170, Psyche wrote:i would take it
you can join late so says tris and i agree
In post 171, MUSHSHAGANA wrote:It also is infuriating that I got caught by accident. Maddening. That’s TWICE, in TWO separate WALRUSes where the entire rest of my submissions will probably be blatant as hell. How! How!
i will do my absolute best to accidentally not get one of yours in the future
hellbooks
hellbooks
She
Goon
hellbooks
She
Goon
Goon

Post Post #176 (isolation #16) » Sat Jun 26, 2021 1:33 pm

Post by hellbooks »

6PM PST tomorrow. will also give you a ping tomorrow morning about it
hellbooks
hellbooks
She
Goon
hellbooks
She
Goon
Goon

Post Post #177 (isolation #17) » Sun Jun 27, 2021 3:17 pm

Post by hellbooks »

three cats in and the scorings are so. while Cat 5 was defined by a strong difference in cat interpretation and scoring between our two lovely judges, this category we found ourselves largely aligned, including the first place position...

congrats to davsto for being the highest single-round scorer of points in helris walrus history by over a full point. the competition continues to be tight, and the mobility of the list shows that everyone is very much performing at a Winning Level.
hellbooks
hellbooks
She
Goon
hellbooks
She
Goon
Goon

Post Post #199 (isolation #18) » Fri Jul 02, 2021 8:36 am

Post by hellbooks »

in observance of the long weekend and my particular absence during it, this weekend may not have a reveal. I will speak with tris
hellbooks
hellbooks
She
Goon
hellbooks
She
Goon
Goon

Post Post #207 (isolation #19) » Sat Jul 10, 2021 6:41 am

Post by hellbooks »

In post 189, MUSHSHAGANA wrote:Closest I can recommend in sheer quality would be In Quantum - Memory 417, which is practically an hour long audio drama with less than a dozen lines, and is absolutely THRILLING for its entire runtime, but it's very much cyberpunk, not space.
listened and absolutely liked btw. thank you
hellbooks
hellbooks
She
Goon
hellbooks
She
Goon
Goon

Post Post #208 (isolation #20) » Sat Jul 10, 2021 9:05 am

Post by hellbooks »

i said it multiple times but over half of the points have yet to be given out so don't get too comfy in the lead over there schadd!
hellbooks
hellbooks
She
Goon
hellbooks
She
Goon
Goon

Post Post #213 (isolation #21) » Sat Jul 10, 2021 9:33 am

Post by hellbooks »

In post 210, MUSHSHAGANA wrote:Judging by the scores, I either maximized enjoyment or maximized the catfit by succeeding in my attempt to come at it from a non-obvious direction.
you struck fairly accurately at both for me at least
hellbooks
hellbooks
She
Goon
hellbooks
She
Goon
Goon

Post Post #230 (isolation #22) » Sun Jul 25, 2021 6:19 am

Post by hellbooks »

highlights. the record for highest overall score in a single round is broken for the third time in a row, this time by chevre with 20.8. that is 0.4 points higher than schadd's cat 7 overall score of 20.4 and over four points higher than the second placer, jun. with that, chevre is positioned within striking distance from the lead.

in addition, shafted earns himself a legendary half of a medal, and i achieve a perfect round of guessing, and both the highest and lowest 2nd place individual scores were set this cat (tris gave 10.8 to her 2nd place at highest, hellbooks gave 8.8 to her 2nd place at lowest).

Spoiler: 1st CHEVRE (Jens Lekman - Sipping on the Sweet Nectar)
1st
Jens Lekman - Sipping on the Sweet Nectar
(tris: 2nd // hellbooks: 1st)

trish
~~t~~

sipping on the sweet necter: 9
\:) <--- that's a smile
guess: shad (hi chev
=10.6 because its 2nd
but then i added .2 to something already in first!!!!!! ? 10.8

hellby
~~hb~~

LIKE: 6.5 (4.7 w.d.)
CATFIT: 2.6
SUSPECTED USER: chevy?
ACTUAL USER: BAM! -0.1

11 (9 +
1st place bonus
)

okay just take all my damn points.

the instrumental is like elegantly in perfect position to receive massive catfit. BRASS and STRINGS and KEY CHANGES. this is like the vision. the vocalist reminds me of someone who i can't think of right now too distracted by the whole situation. anyway like good fuckin job to you. glistening. brilliantly summery. you win you win you win. i liked this

Spoiler: 2nd CALED JUN (Louie Zong - Dogsitting)
2nd
Louie Zong - Dogsitting
(tris: 5th // hellbooks: 2nd)

trish
~~t~~

dogsitting: 8.5
yeah.
guess: chevre (ohheyits caledfwitch

hellby
~~hb~~

UNFAMILIARITY: -0.1
SUSPECTED USER: caled

8.8 (7.4 +
2nd place bonus
)

idk how good of job this does at conveying the way that dogs make you smile but i will award it at least partially on that merit because it seems like there's definitely something to it. other than that it's just very catfitting and warm and bubbly. i love the slow pulse of the bass and i love the vocality of the melodic patch.

Spoiler: 3rd SCHADD (Unknown Artist - Mango Time)
3rd
Unknown Artist - Mango Time
(tris: 3rd // hellbooks: 10th)

trish
~~t~~

mango time: 8.7
but also, i hate rating things. i just want to enjoy the thing and not force it into an inadequate linear scale. (ok, so you want multiple metrics?) NO!!!!! that just makes me have to rate in even more ways! oh fuck, you're right. so, what are we going to do? we're giving this an 8.7 for some reason, but i i already said that; it's up there. i want to eat a mango. i give mangos the fruit which is not music exactly a 9.777562380008853243459301 out of 10
guess: cheetory (its a good thing (for my friend schadd) that i forgot about the unknown artist thing until looking up the answers
oh no, schadd squeeked into the top 3 = 9.7

hellby
~~hb~~

LIKE: 4.7 (3.8 w.d)
CATFIT: 1.7
UNFAMILIARITY: 0.2
SUSPECTED USER: schadd
MEDAL FOR REMINDING ME TO EAT THE MANGO IN MY FRIDGE: yes
MEDAL FOR BEST TRACK TITLE: yes

there are like a lot of interesting percussive sounds in this one. the textural experience is good. i manifested the sort of smile that i would make were i eating fruit right now when listening to this. oh fuck i literally have a mango in my fridge. what am i doing. i wish it were more particularly contentful but its definitely good

Spoiler: 4th SIRIUS9121 (Kradness & Reol - しんでしまうとはなさけない!)
4th
Kradness & Reol - しんでしまうとはなさけない!
(tris: 6th // hellbooks: 3rd)

trish
~~t~~

しんでしまうとはなさけない!: 8.0
who knows where these scores come from.
guess: sirius (YEAH
=7.9

hellby
~~hb~~

LIKE: 5.2 (4.1/5)
CATFIT: 2.2
SUSPECTED USER: siri

7.7 (7.2 +
third place bonus
)

the chord changes to the chorus were really good and nice. the little game over section was definitely catfitting a lot i was like oh that's so cute. i love the bitcrushed vocals here tho!! it reminds me of like bmo or something. who is a surefire peddler of smiles. damn. yeah this like performs really solidly on both scoring metrics in a playing field where it seems like most of the submitters are only really excelling in one or the other. i know about reol and when she sings with kradness

Spoiler: 5th PJ (Anri - Good Bye Boogie Dance)
5th
Anri - Good Bye Boogie Dance
(tris: 4th // hellbooks: T7th)

trish
~~t~~

goodbye boogie dance: 8.7
cool! :thumbsup:
guess: pj (yeah
=8.6

hellby
~~hb~~

SUSPECTED USER: pj

i made an impressed face at the brilliant shining chime noise. it feels almost pensive though, like an end credits song. that being said lovely summer vibes will net you points without fail. i really like the shout harmonies

Spoiler: 6th MUSHSHAGANA (Charms - Dream Fever)
6th
Charms - Dream Fever
(tris: 6th // hellbooks: T5th)

trish
~~t~~

dream feaver: 7.5 sans smiling
guess: mushshshagana (yeah
=7.4 + moo = 7.7 (added later)

hellby
~~hb~~

LIKE: 5.6 (4.3/5)
CATFIT: 1.5
SUSPECTED USER: mshy

the noise profile of this song was elite. i smiled kind of in confusion here but then it got me to thinking about the sort of oblique joy that would be felt by a "dream fever" like a darksided joy. definitely just the sort of thing that if it ended up fully clicking i would give a lot of creative catfit points to and i'll give out a portion of those points for the thinking session that it generated

i was waiting with great anticipation for mushshagana's commentary on this song to see what complex machinations are behind the submission and found that she submitted it uniquely without comment and laughed like so much. i think i can't give cat fit points for that though

Spoiler: 7th DAVSTO (The Kinks - She's Bought A Hat Like Princess Marina)
7th
The Kinks - She's Bought A Hat Like Princess Marina
(tris: 7th // hellbooks: 9th)

trish
~~t~~

she's bought a hat like princess marina: 7.5
sorry for the lack of commentary in this batch
guess: davsto (yeahh
=7.4

hellby
~~hb~~

LIKE: 5.0 (4.0/5)
SUSPECTED USER: davy

wanted to award an unfamiliarity bonus on grounds of the kinks being like a band that i do my best not to listen to and also am known to not like, and the submission by magic making it so i liked the song anyway. i britishphobically smiled at the album name which is arthur or the decline and fall of the british empire (sorry davsto). this song has reverse davsto syndrome. editor's note: this song has submitted by davsto syndrome

Spoiler: 8th CHEETORY6 (Ogre You Asshole - バランス)
8th
Ogre You Asshole - バランス
(tris: 9th // hellbooks: T5th)

trish
~~t~~

バランス: 6
my brain hates this, but im giving this a 6 to teach my brain a lesson
guess: caled

hellby
~~hb~~

CATFIT: 2.4
UNFAMILIARITY: -0.8
SUSPECTED USER: chetry six

i have listened to this song approximately 35 times before. it was on my playlists when my playlists were WAY smaller in my ITUNES ERA (like pre-2017/18) so it just ended up in my ears a lot. but it's like a really excellent and good submission. as soon as that riff hit from the beginning i was like uh yeah.... can't stop my self from getting right to smile town. the key change yep girl. like i said in previous cats, for epic familiar songs i kind of scale down the liking factor down to 4.5. smiling was done on the basis of nostalgia as well.

the music video is catfitting for sure until they started being fully buried and i'm like oh no THEY'RE GONNA DROWN? NOT that our lovely audience will be looking at the video anyway. but to clarify: confetti all the way up to your dang ears

Spoiler: 9th ISIS (Benn Briggs - Tem Shop Glitch Hop Remix)
9th
Benn Briggs - Tem Shop Glitch Hop Remix
(tris: 10th // hellbooks: T7th)

trish
~~t~~

Tem Shop Ben Briggs Glitch Hop Remix: 6
i don't tend to be a fan of these sorts of remixes
guess: isis (yeah
=5.9

hellby
~~hb~~

LIKE: 4.4 (3.7/5)
CATFIT: 2.4
SUSPECTED USER: isis question mark ?

think the unfamiliarity should cancel out here based on the totally shocking remix content for me. i definitely did smile in like bemusement. in addition i like laughed out loud at the heart and soul interpolation which is big catfit points for sure. rarely does a song make me laugh

Spoiler: 10th HELLBOOKS (Francisco Mora Catlett - Samba De Amor)
10th
Francisco Mora Catlett - Samba De Amor
(tris: 1st)

trish
~~t~~

samba de amor: 9.5
this is really good and also wins the walrusmaster task
guess: helbwks (bingo
=9.4 i mean 11.4

hellby
~~hb~~

her song

Spoiler: 11th SHAFT.ED (Monty Python - Eric the Half a Bee)
11th
Monty Python - Eric the Half a Bee
(tris: 11th // hellbooks: 11th)

trish
~~t~~

eric the half a bee: 4.5
i did not enjoy
guess: shafd.et (yeah
=4.4
ok, this can be 4.5

hellby
~~hb~~

LIKE: 3.4 (3.2/5)
CATFIT: 1.3
SUSPECTED USER: like... SGAFTED????

this song forced out a small smile from me due to sheer relentlessness and then nuked it again at "carnally." sorry

Spoiler: 12th TRIS (Seth "Beatfox" Peelle - Pumpkin Cravings)
12th
Seth "Beatfox" Peelle - Pumpkin Cravings
(hellbooks: 4th)

trish
~~t~~

place holder

hellby
~~hb~~

LIKE: 5.4 (4.2/5)
SUSPECTED USER: tris and i'll award you 0.1 reparation points if i'm wrong

going to award you a 0.1 unfamiliarity bonus. i want to say this made me frown from shock just when i first saw the whole situation and then i like did have to smile a bit about the submitter's adventurousness here. and also the song was like very interesting and engaging much more than the beginning would suggest. it felt like 3 songs in one
hellbooks
hellbooks
She
Goon
hellbooks
She
Goon
Goon

Post Post #232 (isolation #23) » Sun Jul 25, 2021 7:52 am

Post by hellbooks »

I liked dav's song! And as a known kinks shamer (of the band) that was like a coup. And i thought it was fun that you submitted yours and points wise you're perfectly in the clear because of the score drop
hellbooks
hellbooks
She
Goon
hellbooks
She
Goon
Goon

Post Post #235 (isolation #24) » Sun Jul 25, 2021 12:22 pm

Post by hellbooks »

this post contains information about how i will be scoring for the upcoming paired cat.

normally there are 7 points available on grounds of liking the song and 3 points available on grounds of fitting the cat

for this, your total score will be:
7 points for the first song
7 points for the second song
3 points for the interestingness of the pairing (intfit)
3 points for the aptness of the pairing (aptfit)

not dissimilar to when they do like "difficulty" and "excecution" for judging diving or whatever
hellbooks
hellbooks
She
Goon
hellbooks
She
Goon
Goon

Post Post #241 (isolation #25) » Wed Aug 18, 2021 3:10 pm

Post by hellbooks »

hopefully this happens? to tide all of you over, i have managed to do some multi-site detective work to determine the true origins of the walrus game, which appears to have been invented by a user on a poker forum named jabonator in 2012, operating under what you can see is a different name. here is a later iteration that mirrors more closely the category system that is used today.

in 2013, another user on that forum appears to use what is the first instance of the current name. (see: "So this is the new name for trolololopalooza?").

this forum seems to be sort of where mafia universe branched out from (i remember back when there was some discussion about the community mafia events that the guy who started the whole thing was thingyman and the poker forum seems to be listed as one of his homesites) so there seems to be a clear bridge for walrus to get on MU and of course it's here now too, courtesy of schadd. there we go. this was like a mystery that's been burning in the back of my mind for a decent period of time lol. maybe this is all like epic common knowledge in other places

WARNING: clicking any of those links may lead to exposure to early 2010's internetisms
hellbooks
hellbooks
She
Goon
hellbooks
She
Goon
Goon

Post Post #244 (isolation #26) » Wed Aug 18, 2021 3:27 pm

Post by hellbooks »

Spoiler: fountain of horrible knowledge within
it's like a beatles reference
hellbooks
hellbooks
She
Goon
hellbooks
She
Goon
Goon

Post Post #246 (isolation #27) » Wed Aug 18, 2021 3:28 pm

Post by hellbooks »

have one on me
hellbooks
hellbooks
She
Goon
hellbooks
She
Goon
Goon

Post Post #247 (isolation #28) » Sat Aug 21, 2021 7:56 am

Post by hellbooks »

walrus is happening at 1 PM tomorrow this is...(expired on 2021-08-22 13:00:02)

be there or be not there!
hellbooks
hellbooks
She
Goon
hellbooks
She
Goon
Goon

Post Post #248 (isolation #29) » Sat Aug 21, 2021 7:49 pm

Post by hellbooks »

i hope you show up tomorrow everyone! and btw: everyone popped the fuck off for this one
hellbooks
hellbooks
She
Goon
hellbooks
She
Goon
Goon

Post Post #250 (isolation #30) » Sun Aug 22, 2021 8:28 am

Post by hellbooks »

sclusies:

1. at least one person will continue their mj medaling streak (in my top 3 last cat and in my top 3 this cat)
2. the same person submitted both my highest scoring and lowest scoring song in the same pair
3. the difference between my first and second raw scores is over two points

the additional twist - one of these sclusies is false
hellbooks
hellbooks
She
Goon
hellbooks
She
Goon
Goon

Post Post #251 (isolation #31) » Sun Aug 22, 2021 11:36 am

Post by hellbooks »

excellent job everyone
hellbooks
hellbooks
She
Goon
hellbooks
She
Goon
Goon

Post Post #252 (isolation #32) » Sun Aug 22, 2021 11:45 am

Post by hellbooks »

for cat 2 (hellbooks music) i will be multiplying normal scores by 1.5, always rounding up
for cat 1 (tris music) i will be multiplying normal scores by 0.5, always rounding up
hellbooks
hellbooks
She
Goon
hellbooks
She
Goon
Goon

Post Post #258 (isolation #33) » Tue Aug 24, 2021 8:02 am

Post by hellbooks »

Spoiler: 1st KEELY (múm - don't be afraid... // The Books - Enjoy your worries...)
1st
Keely
(tris: 2nd // hellbooks: 2nd)

trish
~~t~~

múm - don't be afraid, you have just got your eyes closed

The Books - Enjoy your worries you may never have them again

shaft.ed
18.1 + 1.5 = 19.6

hellby
~~hb~~

múm - don't be afraid, you have just got your eyes closed

i like this drum beat with the little shuffle sound on it, that plus the instrumentation makes it feel evocative of 8-bit music almost. i like this really slow swell after the drum drops out. there's a little sound at about 3:03 that's like a timid bubble popping noise which i like a lot. i think the sonic aspect of it is a lot better than the melodic aspect of it, but both are good!

The Books - Enjoy your worries you may never have them again

LIKE: 6.0 (4.5/5)

the noises of the fingers scraping on the strings is really harshly good. crow caw good. i think the samples are kind of a hit or miss but it's definitely attention-holding and also a lot of them are really thought provoking for sure. the general structure of the song totally grabs me by the neck. this is dope

----

APTITUDE: 2.8
INTEREST: 2.1
SUSPECTED USER: lockin for keely i think
ACTUAL USER: i was correct -0.1

+1.4

i like how these monstrous track titles construct this narrative of "pay more attention to get rid of the negative emotion" into "pay more attention to your negative emotion". and i think how songs with a similar vision can be emotionally diametrically opposed is a really great idea and it's perfectly done here: they both have this slow instrumental density ramp-up and broad interesting sonic palette. it's cool to see how those ideas complement their own corresponding ideas. i think this is just a brilliant pairing example. thank you!

Spoiler: 2nd ISIS (Houston Calls - Elephant and Castle // Bowser's Inside Story - Dark Star Core)
2nd
Isis
(tris: 3rd // hellbooks T3rd)

trish
~~t~~

Houston Calls - "Elephant and Castle"

Dark Star Core (From: "Mario & Luigi: Bowser's Inside Story")

isis
18.0 +1.0 = 19.0

hellby
~~hb~~

Houston Calls - Elephant and Castle

LIKE: 6.6 (4.8/5)

i like the effect on the guitar it kind of makes it have this crushed quality. i feel like a pop punk/alt rock type of song has to be really catchy for me to really like it and this qualifies. i mean i guess that's like what those songs are going for. i really like how the other vocals jump in at that one point, leading into to the climax with please dont go, little girl in that really delicious energy spike. and then the multiple melody lines swirling around each other as a culminating device is just so emblematic of beloved songs of mine (i'm thinking like semi-charmed life by TEB, kiss chase by lush, etc.) holy fuck i listened to this an insane amount in the past few weeks on youtube lmao

Mario & Luigi: Bowser's Inside Story - Dark Star Core

LIKE: 4.9 (3.9 w.d.)

i think this almost feels like mournful? with the little synth tune, even with those like retro stabs punctuating each thing. anyway it's good!

----

APTITUDE: 2.1
INTEREST: 2.1
SUSPECTED USER: isis
ACTUAL USER: isis CUT! -0.1

+0.5

just found this pair of songs really puzzling and interesting. i think the crushed guitar really does have this video game sound the way that the melody of the second song does. it really feels like there's like a really auspicious melodic correspondence beyond the layers of slowdown applied to the second song that's honestly fascinating and sort of a unique-seeming direction for the cat

Spoiler: 3rd PJ (Peter Brötzmann et. al. - Bullets Through Rain // Drive Like Jehu - Here Come the Rome Plows)
3rd
PJ
(tris: 9th // hellbooks: 1st)

trish
~~t~~

Bullets Through Rain

Here Come the Rome Plows

pj

hellby
~~hb~~

Peter Brötzmann, Paal Nilssen-Love, Mats Gustafsson - Bullets Through Rain

LIKE: 6.4 (4.7/5)

let me tell you what i like about this song. i think the slamming kick drum pierces through this brassery like: bullets through rain. so i think the title is excellently evocative. that epic repeated minor 9th blare at about 3 minutes in is like a really energetic motif. i really like the closely played hi-hat at the 5 minute mark. almost goes without saying but the double sax + drums is a great trio construction that just has so much engagement factor like they're both competing with all their might for your attention. sometimes there are like repeated blares which provides a really thrilling grounding force

let me tell you what i don't like now. nothing. i really like this song. you know me. this is what i like. maybe it's like a bit long for a track that maintains an energy constancy, like there's some sort of endurance component to it

Drive Like Jehu - Here Come the Rome Plows

that muted string flicking is NARSHTY. i dont have the terminology for it. it feels like i'm constantly teetering on the edge with this shit. fhhhuck. feels like there's like a point where the song could kind of veer into repetition at like the third minute but there's this insane good dissonant riff that powerfully hooks me back in

----

APTITUDE: 2.4
INTEREST: 2.0
SUSPECTED USER: who in the fresh hell is this genius? PJ???!???!??!??!!!????!??
ACTUAL USER: cool -0.1

+2

on a surface level there are correspondences between the constant tension and energy elements hammered in by each of the songs. but also it made me think a lot about this thing that i was hoping with this category, which is broader sonic correspondences between genres. i think there's something to be said about scream-y vocals and sax overblowing, like the viscerality of instruments being taken past their normal limit.

Spoiler: 4th SHAFT.ED (DeVotchKa - Vengo! Vengo! // Erykah Badu - Incense)
4th
shaft.ed
(tris: 4th // hellbooks: 11th)

trish
~~t~~

Vengo! Vengo!

Incense

schadd

hellby
~~hb~~

DeVotchKa - Vengo! Vengo!

i like the blend of traditional and rock drumming/guitar situation always like an idea that is solidly and consistently good

Erykah Badu - Incense

i'm going to see her in chicago soon : )
i feel like there's a really great haziness that's laid out with this languid beat, punctuated by the slow arpeggiated runs of the harp.

----

APTITUDE: 2.1
INTEREST: 1.9
SUSPECTED USER: shafty
ACTUAL USER: i was correct -0.1

i think there's correspondences in the way that very different instruments are made to work together, there's also a really contrasting timelessness to both pieces. the first song has a very "human" vibe while the second one has a very "earthly" vibe. definitely thought a lot about the musicianship

Spoiler: 5th CHEVRE (Almeda Riddle - My Little Rooster // Devendra Banhart - Little Monkey)
5th
Chevre
(tris: 8th // hellbooks: T3rd)

trish
~~t~~

My Little Rooster

Little Monkey

chevre

hellby
~~hb~~

Almeda Riddle - My Little Rooster

the harshness of the "cock-a-doodle-doo" pressing against the sonic envelope is just like really brilliant, and it got stuck in my head so insanely. there's really something to be said about there being absolutely no sound beyond the voice -- something that would be unachievable in the real world. like an interesting disembodiment

Devendra Banhart - Little Monkey

there's a really interesting non-sequitur almost? to this ending? which i found really delicately lovely. the dual vocal lines also have a really nice timbre against each other

----

APTITUDE: 2.2
INTEREST: 2.4
SUSPECTED USER: tris??? legendarily???
ACTUAL USER: chevre!!! shakes fist

+0.5

this made me think of a lot about the ways that simplicity is used in music to many different ends. and i thought this was just like a really good exhibit a / exhibit b paired thought process on that.

also just the epic contrast between the utter silence outside the vocalist in the first track and the powerful wall of static in the second track and how that places each performance differently is like one of the most fascinating things ever. i think i want to give this the highest amount of interest points for being really good and thought provoking and also feeling like it just happened to also have the epic title correlation

Spoiler: 6th SCHADD (Secret Mommy - Daycare // Clark - Night Knuckles)
6th
schadd
(tris: 5th // hellbooks: 6th)

trish
~~t~~

Daycare

Night Knuckles

cheetory

hellby
~~hb~~

Secret Mommy - Daycare

oh my god i thought schadd was a lock for [upcoming song] but this is insane replica steve reich vocal chopping situation vibes. real wrench in the gears here. i like this bubbly in the blue shirt style rapid sample flip style. as long as i'm throwing out names willy nilly let's throw out iglooghost as well. ohhhhhhhh. dathings.

Clark - Night Knuckles

UNFAMILIARITY: -0.4

okay this is schadd. okay then who the fuck was [upcoming song]? i like this music box accompanied by clattering of a silverware drawer percussion

----

APTITUDE: 2.8
INTEREST: 1.7
SUSPECTED USER: schadd
ACTUAL USER: -0.1

i really like the fast-paced mechanical cuteness of both of the songs + a clean transition + the title opposition. the day/night theme is also something i tried to abstractly dip into so i feel ya there. this is like such a clean pairing concept. really solid execution i think i will give you the highest aptitude points

Spoiler: 7th JUN (Japanese Breakfast - Soft Sounds From Another Planet // Neon Bunny 야광토끼 - New moon)
7th
Jun
(tris: 6th // hellbooks: T7th)

trish
~~t~~

Japanese Breakfast - Soft Sounds From Another Planet

Neon Bunny 야광토끼_New moon

caledfwitch

hellby
~~hb~~

Japanese Breakfast - Soft Sounds From Another Planet

LIKE: 6.4 (4.7/5)
UNFAMILIARITY: -0.8

oughhhh that pretty pipe organ into fuzzy buzzy guitar.... perfect instrumental combo. and how it flattens out and relaxes into this gorgeous nocturnal progression that you can imagine rocking on the back porch looking up at the sky

Neon Bunny - New Moon

i like sort of the alt r&b suite of sounds that it has going and the way the song kind of pulsates with flow is really good even with sort of unimpressive vocals. overall a great listen that's really carried by the production

----

APTITUDE: 2.3
SUSPECTED USER: caled
ACTUAL USER: jun !!! -0.1

Really excellent transition to this one and i like it as like both very night-oriented songs. the jbrekkie song feels like so broad in scope and movement while the neon bunny song feels like a rumination in one place both energetically and harmonically, and i like this contrast

Spoiler: 8th MUSHSHAGANA (156/Silence - Vexation // Lost Signal - Perfect Sky)
8th
MUSHSHAGANA
(tris: 7th // hellbooks: T7th)

trish
~~t~~

156/Silence - "Vexation"

Lost Signal-Perfect Sky

MUSHSHAGANA

hellby
~~hb~~

156/Silence - Vexation

it kind of feels like an exhausted sort of slow scream vocals which is interesting and definitely feels really intentional, glaringly so when the rest of the noise drops out to reveal this sort of ruminant core. it feels like the singer is like in one room and everyone else is another room. i'm rather unversed in this kind of music and only have the occasional song contest exposure

Lost Signal - Perfect Sky

oo i like how it builds up the groove and then these faded tired vocals slip in.

----

APTITUDE: 2.6
SUSPECTED USER: mushshagana
ACTUAL USER: correct -0.1

transitionally i find this really interesting because it feels like the distorted synth pulse really evokes the "weeooweeooweeoo" from the first song in a slowed down way. i think the vocals also share a removedness from the rest of the music. i think this is sort of the one where i get the most lyrical connectedness in terms of a constructed emotional narrative and i really like that

Spoiler: 9th SIRIUS9121 (Kradness - 六兆年と一夜物語 // Roselia - FIRE BIRD)
9th
sirius9121
(tris: 10th // hellbooks: 9th)

trish
~~t~~

六兆年と一夜物語

FIRE BIRD

sirius

hellby
~~hb~~

Kradness - 六兆年と一夜物語

i like when his voice gets unexpectedly low to lead into the last chorus. i know and like this song and it's just really good and even though i don't know the language the phonemes are really pleasant and addictive. even past the familiarity i've never heard this specific cover before so you don't get the full -0.4 penalty.

Roselia - FIRE BIRD

wow okay, that high note is lit though???? and the keyboard/guitar dueling solos are good as fuck. wow i am like realizing that i know the names of both the keyboardist and guitarist for this band. my brain is huge

----

APTITUDE: 2.4
SUSPECTED USER: hi sirius
ACTUAL USER: : ) -0.1

i think your success in pairing two songs was like pretty guaranteed here. i thought the high note surprise / low singing surprise was a really fun situation and there's like a similar construction of the energy levels

Spoiler: 10th DAVSTO (Jethro Tull - Bourée // Madness - Swan Lake)
10th
davsto
(tris: 11th // hellbooks: 10th)

trish
~~t~~

Jethro Tull - Bourée

Madness - Swan Lake

combined; 3
totol; 14.5

hellby
~~hb~~

Jethro Tull - Bourée

there's a really strong "paired vocal" nature set in motion by the unfettered panning and the guitar and basswork does an honestly phenomenal job of filling in that middle space and making it a solid as fuck spatial experience especially when it lands into that groove. this is a lock for "good bass songs" playlist that i have even though it's like not even the star instrument

Madness - Swan Lake

there's that classic ska off-beat situation that i just am incapable of wholeheartedly liking but that really doesn't stop me from being wickedly delighted about it here. i think this was a great first-time listen and not too much beyond that but hey, really glad i did

----

APTITUDE: 2.3
SUSPECTED USER: dav : )
ACTUAL USER: davsto CUT!!! -0.1

i think there is a built-in straightforwardness of the pairing here but i had to give you decent interest points regardless from just how delighted i was when i listened to the second song the first time, just that instant realization. i think props to you for the ordering of that too. beyond that, there's sort of like this up-and-down melodic nature to both of the pieces that ended up being really good.

Spoiler: 11th HELLBOOKS (Park Jiha - Throughout the Night // Tyva Kyzy - Tozhama)
11th
hellbooks
(tris: 1st)

trish
~~t~~

Park Jiha - Throughout the Night

Tozhama

hellbooks -.1
18.2 + 2.0 =20.2

hellby
~~hb~~

the pairing aspects
- i like the contrast between night and day here. in particular park jiha starts out really settled, glittering, inky blackness that seems really difficult to pierce through. then there's this nasal oboe-like sound (its a korean traditional instrument) that strikes through that calm.
- on the other hand, tozhama starts out really clearly evoking like a "morning" sound (bird calls, fluttering woodwind sound) which makes for a really nice follow up contrasting work. so together you could see it as the two different sides of a slow 24 hour rotation throughout an entire day cycle.
- i also think there's a lot of sonic correspondence between the throat singing and the korean reed instruments of this like really multi-toned and sharply textural sound
- i thought that dynamic of vocal noise and instrumental noise being two aspects of a similar musical texture was a really interesting concept to explore for a pair

Spoiler: 12th TRIS (Portishead - Silence // Murcof - Memoria)
12th
tris
(hellbooks: 5th)

trish
~~t~~

place holder

hellby
~~hb~~

Portishead - Silence

i'm a fan of this washed out drumming. i can sort of recognize the artistry components behind it but i think the middle section of contemplation kind of left me wanting for stimulation--that being said it's still a very competent and good moody atmospheric song, there's like a cinematic string situation that helps with that. i added this to a playlist of seven letter S-word songs

Murcof - Memoria

oh my god when that high frequency noise comes in i went wild like a dog. that was sick for real.

----

APTITUDE: 2.7
INTEREST: 2.0
SUSPECTED USER: chevy maybe????????
ACTUAL USER: TRIS!!!!! shakes fist

abrupt and insane transition. both songs feel like they create a bleak and vast space, with some sort of interesting percussive groove taking up and moving forward through it. the strings are also really unique and contrasting for their roles in each song, yet somehow both instrumental in creating similar atmospheres, which i thought was really excellent

---------------------

Spoiler: linkes for your listening pleasure
hellbooks
hellbooks
She
Goon
hellbooks
She
Goon
Goon

Post Post #259 (isolation #34) » Sat Aug 28, 2021 8:11 am

Post by hellbooks »

hellbewks cat is likely happening at sunday noon my pretties!!! *cackles like a witch*

psst... that's in (expired on 2021-08-29 12:00:02)... don't tell anyone i told ya ;)
hellbooks
hellbooks
She
Goon
hellbooks
She
Goon
Goon

Post Post #260 (isolation #35) » Sat Aug 28, 2021 9:08 pm

Post by hellbooks »

sclusie: i saved every song
hellbooks
hellbooks
She
Goon
hellbooks
She
Goon
Goon

Post Post #267 (isolation #36) » Mon Aug 30, 2021 7:47 am

Post by hellbooks »

great job everyone
hellbooks
hellbooks
She
Goon
hellbooks
She
Goon
Goon

Post Post #270 (isolation #37) » Mon Aug 30, 2021 8:34 am

Post by hellbooks »

MUSHSHAGANA wrote:Can't wait to see what you had to say about Thank. It was either going to be the gold or the last place and I had no idea which one -- total gamble.
Spoiler: spoiler for what i had to say about it
i gave it a perfect 5, second one of the walrus!
hellbooks
hellbooks
She
Goon
hellbooks
She
Goon
Goon

Post Post #274 (isolation #38) » Mon Aug 30, 2021 7:23 pm

Post by hellbooks »

In post 273, MUSHSHAGANA wrote:which makes some of their more ideologically confusing lyrics fall into place a bit... most of their music is mocking themselves a bit
yeah it ended up being contextualized as more of a fun horrified irony rather than some oppressor's guilt kinda line which is kind of what i read it as at first
In post 273, MUSHSHAGANA wrote:Would it have done better?
mathematically impossible at least on my end unless it's somehow makes me not guess it as yours lol
In post 273, MUSHSHAGANA wrote:Check out the stuff off of Please, and then join me and like 2 other complete gremlins in rattling Thank's social media cage and moaning "new releaaaaasessss"
will listen and rattle imminently
hellbooks
hellbooks
She
Goon
hellbooks
She
Goon
Goon

Post Post #296 (isolation #39) » Wed Sep 29, 2021 10:45 am

Post by hellbooks »

the cat 1 results!!!!!

the final results: lowest scoring cat leniency applied

results in only one placement change, however the differences tighten up a bit.

people who dropped CAT 1 (TRIS): tris, sirius
people who dropped CAT 2 (HELLBOOKS): hellbooks
people who dropped CAT 3 (PAIRED): no one

people who dropped CAT 4 (WANDERING): chevre, pj
people who dropped CAT 5 (SPACE): schadd, jun, davsto
people who dropped CAT 6 (AVATARS): mushshagana, isis
people who dropped CAT 7 (PIANO): no one

people who dropped CAT 8 (SMILE): keely, shafted

congratulations to everyone for successfully completing a walrus!

------

FAQ

who got into the top 3 in a cat?
: everyone!
who got into the most top 3?
: while several people won six top 3 placements.....
[CHEVRE] was the only person to win seven (1 gold, 1 silver, and 2 bronzes from me // 1 gold, 2 silver from tris)

who did hellby give the most points?
:
hellbooks gave the most points to [MUSHSHAGANA]
the second most points to [KEELY]
and the third most points to [CHEVRE].

who did trish give the most points?
:
tris gave the most points to [HELLBOOKS] :evil:
the second most points to [SCHADD]
and the third most points to [PJ].

wait six different names?
yup

in retrospect, what was hellbooks's favorite song discovery from each submitter?

[CHEVRE] C418 - Mice On Venus
[DAVSTO] Arthur Brown - Come and Buy
[ISIS] Houston Calls - Elephant and Castle
[JUN] in love with a ghost - flowers ft. nori
[KEELY] Dan Deacon - Become a Mountain
[MUSHSHAGANA] Thank - Fragile Ego
[PJ] Peter Brötzmann, Paal Nilssen-Love, Mats Gustafsson - Bullets Through Rain
[SCHADD] Luedji Luna - Lençóis
[SHAFTED] Parliament - Supergroovalisticprosifunkstication
[SIRIUS] 水樹奈々 - Synchrogazer (道明寺ここあ cover)
[TRIS] Gentle Giant - Black Cat

these are all songs that i have really loved listening to many times recently so thank you for submitting them.

did you have fun?

we are truly honored that you decided to gift us with music that you treasure so that we could treasure it too. this event was so much fun and its all because of you. some of these categories were not easy, especially for example the paired songs one, but you all knocked it out of the park so incredibly. thank you thank you thank you and we hope you had fun too!

Return to “Sens-O-Tape Archive”