ITT we lament our backlog and play old games

This forum is specifically for discussing non-Mafia games
(board, card, video, we're not picky)
Playing
such games should happen in the Mish Mash forum, of course.
Ythan
Ythan
She
Welcome to the Haystack
Ythan
She
Welcome to the Haystack
Welcome to the Haystack
Pronoun: She

Post Post #25 (ISO) » Fri Oct 30, 2020 3:56 am

Post by Ythan »

It's about the journey and this is actually a serious post.
xRECKONERx
xRECKONERx
GD is my Best Man
xRECKONERx
GD is my Best Man
GD is my Best Man

Post Post #26 (ISO) » Fri Oct 30, 2020 4:42 am

Post by xRECKONERx »

I've gone through a phase recently where I'll buy a game and just burn out on it like immediately.

First happened with Ghost of Tsushima, then Nier Automata, then Crash 4.

GoT is because I just don't think it's a great game. It's good, it's quality, yeah. But it's just another pretty coat of paint slapped on top of the Assassin's Creed formula, except maybe even more tedious because there are no towers to reveal the map, you have to literally ride around on your horse to every location to reveal it. Which has a certain "immersive" element to it, but the map is HUGE, and it gets exhausting. And then like, I personally think the character models are meh at best? Looks like an early PS4 game, not a 2020 release.

Nier: Automata... man I just don't get it. The music is good and the story is a little interesting but I have fallen asleep playing it TWICE because it's just... I don't know. It's running across big empty spaces to go button mash at a group of robot enemies which drop a billion items named things like TYPE-3S POD UPGRADE MODULE 26B or R07 SHIELD UNIT or COMPLEX GADGET or whatever, just so generic, and there's no immediate understanding of what they're used for. The combat isn't engaging, it's just button mashing. It's sacrifices substance for style, even though that style is really fucking good.

Crash 4 is actually really great, but I went into it with the idea of wanting to Platinum the game. And then I died. A lot. Over and over again. Punishingly difficult, at times. Then I looked up the Plat and found out you have to get every N.Sane relic in the game. N.Sane relics require you to beat a level without dying once while collecting every gem in the level by breaking every crate, collecting 80% of all fruit, and the hidden gem. In case you've forgotten, Crash is a series where if you get hit by one enemy, you die. Full stop. Maybe you can find a mask which saves you from one hit. But this is also a Unity game, and like other Unity platformers, the controls feel a bit dodgy. Several levels have you controlling a character that has to be able to aim a gun in a three dimensional space, but the game provides no cross hair or aiming reticle to show you where you're aiming. I'll still finish this probably, but my dreams of digging in to 100% it are just dead.
green shirt thursdays
CaptainMeme
CaptainMeme
He/Him
Banana Split
CaptainMeme
He/Him
Banana Split
Banana Split
Pronoun: He/Him

Post Post #27 (ISO) » Fri Oct 30, 2020 5:01 am

Post by CaptainMeme »

In post 26, xRECKONERx wrote:Nier: Automata... man I just don't get it. The music is good and the story is a little interesting but I have fallen asleep playing it TWICE because it's just... I don't know. It's running across big empty spaces to go button mash at a group of robot enemies which drop a billion items named things like TYPE-3S POD UPGRADE MODULE 26B or R07 SHIELD UNIT or COMPLEX GADGET or whatever, just so generic, and there's no immediate understanding of what they're used for. The combat isn't engaging, it's just button mashing. It's sacrifices substance for style, even though that style is really fucking good.
I had exactly the same thing with Nier. Everything about the game made me want to play it except uh, actually playing it. It's so incredibly dull most of the time that whenever I do play, I just find myself wishing I was watching someone else play it instead.
Ythan
Ythan
She
Welcome to the Haystack
Ythan
She
Welcome to the Haystack
Welcome to the Haystack

Post Post #28 (ISO) » Fri Oct 30, 2020 5:52 am

Post by Ythan »

The more open worlds I play the more I am convinced that paths are better. Wrt Ghost.
brassherald
brassherald
he/him
Jack of All Trades
brassherald
he/him
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades
Pronoun: he/him

Post Post #29 (ISO) » Fri Oct 30, 2020 6:28 am

Post by brassherald »

Yeah, open world games kind of end up mostly empty which is not great.

I kind of like BOTW's style for that because there are puzzles and shit hidden everywhere. But, lots of them its just dead space between the cities.
I've only made one good post, and don't you dare accuse me of doing it again.
Ythan
Ythan
She
Welcome to the Haystack
Ythan
She
Welcome to the Haystack
Welcome to the Haystack

Post Post #30 (ISO) » Fri Oct 30, 2020 6:31 am

Post by Ythan »

Souls games really made me appreciate paths and lit up obvious items. Items are still hidden sometimes but if it's visible on screen it's obvious. This as opposed to scouring open areas for nondescript vendor trash in say Skyrim.
brassherald
brassherald
he/him
Jack of All Trades
brassherald
he/him
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #31 (ISO) » Fri Oct 30, 2020 6:41 am

Post by brassherald »

In post 30, Ythan wrote:Souls games really made me appreciate paths and lit up obvious items. Items are still hidden sometimes but if it's visible on screen it's obvious. This as opposed to scouring open areas for nondescript vendor trash in say Skyrim.
Yeah, I've definitely also played games where it's just not obvious what is and is not vendor trash. That's always frustrating. I feel like if the only point of an item is to sell it, just put the money there.
Ythan
Ythan
She
Welcome to the Haystack
Ythan
She
Welcome to the Haystack
Welcome to the Haystack

Post Post #32 (ISO) » Fri Oct 30, 2020 6:45 am

Post by Ythan »

I mean most of the stuff you pick up in Souls games is trash but at least you can spot the trash easily.
xRECKONERx
xRECKONERx
GD is my Best Man
xRECKONERx
GD is my Best Man
GD is my Best Man

Post Post #33 (ISO) » Fri Oct 30, 2020 7:02 am

Post by xRECKONERx »

In post 28, Ythan wrote:The more open worlds I play the more I am convinced that paths are better. Wrt Ghost.
Yeah with the exception of BOTW, or like Minecraft if you count that, I haven't played many enjoyable open world games.

I loved Witcher 3 up until I didn't because it took me to a new map with a whole new open world to explore and I was like "i am fucking done"
green shirt thursdays
Ythan
Ythan
She
Welcome to the Haystack
Ythan
She
Welcome to the Haystack
Welcome to the Haystack

Post Post #34 (ISO) » Fri Oct 30, 2020 8:10 am

Post by Ythan »

I think the saving grace in botw is that almost every treasure is garbage to an extent that loot in other games does not match and so it's really irrelevant if you miss anything that you don't find naturally.
brassherald
brassherald
he/him
Jack of All Trades
brassherald
he/him
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #35 (ISO) » Fri Oct 30, 2020 8:17 am

Post by brassherald »

I do also like that you can technically just leave the starting area, charge towards Calamity Ganon and win the game if you are good enough.
Ythan
Ythan
She
Welcome to the Haystack
Ythan
She
Welcome to the Haystack
Welcome to the Haystack

Post Post #36 (ISO) » Fri Oct 30, 2020 8:19 am

Post by Ythan »

Yeah the fact that the game design itself is open and not just the map is really good.
Ythan
Ythan
She
Welcome to the Haystack
Ythan
She
Welcome to the Haystack
Welcome to the Haystack

Post Post #37 (ISO) » Fri Oct 30, 2020 8:21 am

Post by Ythan »

By saving grace I meant specifically with regards to the map. The game overall is excellent imo.

Another plus for the map every place is actually distinct and at least somewhat interesting.

Coughskyrimcough.
Isis
Isis
she/her, not they
Best in Class
Isis
she/her, not they
Best in Class
Best in Class
Pronoun: she/her, not they

Post Post #38 (ISO) » Fri Oct 30, 2020 9:19 am

Post by Isis »

In post 26, xRECKONERx wrote:The combat isn't engaging, it's just button mashing.
It hurts my soul that the story/music etc were so great but wasn't paired with gameplay it deserved.
"Let us say that you are right and there are two worlds. How much, then, is this 'other world' worth to you? What do you have there that you do not have here? Money? Power? Something worth causing the prince so much pain for?'"
"Well, I..."
"What? Nothing? You would make the prince suffer over... nothing?"
Ythan
Ythan
She
Welcome to the Haystack
Ythan
She
Welcome to the Haystack
Welcome to the Haystack

Post Post #39 (ISO) » Fri Oct 30, 2020 9:30 am

Post by Ythan »

This sounds like this game called Legend of Mana I used to be obsessed with until I saw through the outstandingly beautiful scenery and awesome Yoko Shimomura soundtrack and realized the gameplay was actually really awful.
brassherald
brassherald
he/him
Jack of All Trades
brassherald
he/him
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #40 (ISO) » Fri Oct 30, 2020 9:33 am

Post by brassherald »

Yeah, Nier:Automata really is not up to my standards for a Platinum Games game.

Like, even the Transformers game that they released was like a solid brawler with some real depth and challenge. This one, well, I feel like it's a little easier than it needs to be.

By the way, Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance is still probably my favorite game from Platinum.
xRECKONERx
xRECKONERx
GD is my Best Man
xRECKONERx
GD is my Best Man
GD is my Best Man

Post Post #41 (ISO) » Fri Oct 30, 2020 11:13 am

Post by xRECKONERx »

In post 37, Ythan wrote:By saving grace I meant specifically with regards to the map. The game overall is excellent imo.

Another plus for the map every place is actually distinct and at least somewhat interesting.

Coughskyrimcough.
i am definitely on team "skyrim is a bad game" but i would extend that to basically every single bethesda game, full stop
green shirt thursdays
Ythan
Ythan
She
Welcome to the Haystack
Ythan
She
Welcome to the Haystack
Welcome to the Haystack

Post Post #42 (ISO) » Fri Oct 30, 2020 11:42 am

Post by Ythan »

I haven't started completely hating Fallout 4 yet.
bugspray
bugspray
They/Them
Mafia Scum
bugspray
They/Them
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum
Pronoun: They/Them

Post Post #43 (ISO) » Wed May 05, 2021 3:54 am

Post by bugspray »

In post 41, xRECKONERx wrote:
In post 37, Ythan wrote:By saving grace I meant specifically with regards to the map. The game overall is excellent imo.

Coughskyrimcough.
i am definitely on team "skyrim is a bad game" but i would extend that to basically every single bethesda game, full stop
as long as you don't count games that they were only publishers for
MY PRONOUNS ARE THEY/THEM

do not assume my posts follow coherency they do not imagine that every time i post i put half of my knowledge into a clone and then the clone murders me
Ythan
Ythan
She
Welcome to the Haystack
Ythan
She
Welcome to the Haystack
Welcome to the Haystack

Post Post #44 (ISO) » Wed May 05, 2021 5:26 am

Post by Ythan »

Aka watch yourself profligate