Jingle
Jingle
For Whom the Bell Trolls
Jingle
For Whom the Bell Trolls
For Whom the Bell Trolls

Post Post #125 (ISO) » Thu May 06, 2021 8:17 am

Post by Jingle »

In post 44, DkKoba wrote:yeah goes to show that randing town is much more beneficial for your team and you get harmed if you rand scum.

teams that had a better chance randed scum less.
Honestly? Backwards. If you townsweep you have a larger pool of tiebreaker teams you have to beat on the impression of your play. Also, scum wins are much more influenced by you than town wins as you are a larger portion of the scum team than you would be of the town team.

I agree the event is fairly town sided though and I think the goal WAS scumsided setups.
This is a Parachute.
Thestatusquo
Thestatusquo
He/Him
Shea

Thestatusquo
He/Him
Shea

Shea

Pronoun: He/Him

Post Post #126 (ISO) » Thu May 06, 2021 9:14 am

Post by Thestatusquo »

I think it was pretty troubling that the town was basically able to crack the setup in multiple games this year based on mod meta and past versions of those games. I think that this sort of mod predictability plays a huge role in how those setups play in a game where there are 50 people trying to do setup spec instead of 8.
tout comprendre c'est tout pardonner
Jingle
Jingle
For Whom the Bell Trolls
Jingle
For Whom the Bell Trolls
For Whom the Bell Trolls

Post Post #127 (ISO) » Thu May 06, 2021 11:25 am

Post by Jingle »

Agreed. This year's setups didn't live up to the setups of last year where iirc the games were pretty much all close at least.

I particularly disliked the Large theme and the Mini theme from a design perspective, but that's just going to happen some percentage of the time with closed setups.

There was some discussion of incorporating an LSG-as-tiebreaker in our PT in an effort to make losing a single game not an immediate event loss and to encourage not being a dick in games, but honestly that choice is up to whoever is chosen to run the next team mafia (if there is one).
This is a Parachute.
MathBlade
MathBlade
He/Him
Technical Support
MathBlade
He/Him
Technical Support
Technical Support

Post Post #128 (ISO) » Fri May 07, 2021 9:39 am

Post by MathBlade »

In post 126, Thestatusquo wrote:I think it was pretty troubling that the town was basically able to crack the setup in multiple games this year based on mod meta and past versions of those games. I think that this sort of mod predictability plays a huge role in how those setups play in a game where there are 50 people trying to do setup spec instead of 8.
Maybe I should get into setup design.

I had a good setup that wasn’t really crackable and confused town and scum in the Titus v Nancy game.

I can make some weird setups when I get creative
ScumBlade's eloquent performance left me utterly disoriented, debased, depraved and sent me spiraling into a horrific murky abyss with emotional turmoil and immense despair as my only companions until slowly I suffocate in my own gloom, surrounded by failure. I will never recover. -- Zachstralkita about Mini 1841
GTKAS -- MathBlade
Thestatusquo
Thestatusquo
He/Him
Shea

Thestatusquo
He/Him
Shea

Shea

Post Post #129 (ISO) » Fri May 07, 2021 10:27 am

Post by Thestatusquo »

I think its not necessarily that hard to make setups that are hard to crack, I think mods don't really bother. I think in general a lot of mods end up conforming to a meta of what players expect and it makes it trivially easy to suss out a setup.
Something_Smart
Something_Smart
He/him
Somewhat_Balanced
Something_Smart
He/him
Somewhat_Balanced
Somewhat_Balanced
Pronoun: He/him

Post Post #130 (ISO) » Fri May 07, 2021 10:30 am

Post by Something_Smart »

In post 126, Thestatusquo wrote:I think it was pretty troubling that the town was basically able to crack the setup in multiple games this year based on mod meta and past versions of those games.
Which games did this happen in?
It's always the same. When you fire that first shot, no matter how right you feel, you have no idea who's going to die. You don't know whose children are going to scream and burn. How many hearts will be broken. How many lives shattered. How much blood will spill, until everybody does what they're always going to have to do from the very beginning... SIT DOWN AND TALK!
Thestatusquo
Thestatusquo
He/Him
Shea

Thestatusquo
He/Him
Shea

Shea

Post Post #131 (ISO) » Fri May 07, 2021 10:37 am

Post by Thestatusquo »

my game for one had one of the most obvious setups I've ever seen.
Something_Smart
Something_Smart
He/him
Somewhat_Balanced
Something_Smart
He/him
Somewhat_Balanced
Somewhat_Balanced
Pronoun: He/him

Post Post #132 (ISO) » Fri May 07, 2021 10:42 am

Post by Something_Smart »

Perhaps. Hard for me to evaluate since I can't find a role list anywhere (and our team didn't have a player in that game), but it does seem fairly bog-standard (though I don't know if I'd say it's crackable, necessarily). I don't really feel like any of the other games had especially predictable setups. Mine was certainly not predictable at all.
It's always the same. When you fire that first shot, no matter how right you feel, you have no idea who's going to die. You don't know whose children are going to scream and burn. How many hearts will be broken. How many lives shattered. How much blood will spill, until everybody does what they're always going to have to do from the very beginning... SIT DOWN AND TALK!
MathBlade
MathBlade
He/Him
Technical Support
MathBlade
He/Him
Technical Support
Technical Support

Post Post #133 (ISO) » Fri May 07, 2021 1:21 pm

Post by MathBlade »

In post 129, Thestatusquo wrote:I think its not necessarily that hard to make setups that are hard to crack, I think mods don't really bother. I think in general a lot of mods end up conforming to a meta of what players expect and it makes it trivially easy to suss out a setup.
Lucky for me I love fucking with expectations :)
ScumBlade's eloquent performance left me utterly disoriented, debased, depraved and sent me spiraling into a horrific murky abyss with emotional turmoil and immense despair as my only companions until slowly I suffocate in my own gloom, surrounded by failure. I will never recover. -- Zachstralkita about Mini 1841
GTKAS -- MathBlade
Ramcius
Ramcius
Mafia Scum
Ramcius
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #134 (ISO) » Sun May 09, 2021 6:29 am

Post by Ramcius »

Yes, mini theme was so obvious that obv town and strongest PR Pine was elim'ed due setup spec. Don't get me wrong, setup was obvious D3, but when you have 2 flipped JOATs, confirmed 1-shot neigbouriser, 1-shot vig and 1-shot strongman, there is so little you can speculate after mass claim, but even then everyone couldn't accept that setup had full jk "how can setup have full role, when everyone is JOAT/1-shot?" :lol: Or my favorite "it's anime theme, so it must have very similar roles to other anime closed setup from past" :lol:
Tact is for liars and politicians.
Nancy Drew 39
Nancy Drew 39
She/Her
Not that Inno Scent
Nancy Drew 39
She/Her
Not that Inno Scent
Not that Inno Scent
Pronoun: She/Her

Post Post #135 (ISO) » Sun May 09, 2021 6:48 am

Post by Nancy Drew 39 »

In post 134, Ramcius wrote:Yes, mini theme was so obvious that obv town and strongest PR Pine was elim'ed due setup spec. Don't get me wrong, setup was obvious D3, but when you have 2 flipped JOATs, confirmed 1-shot neigbouriser, 1-shot vig and 1-shot strongman, there is so little you can speculate after mass claim, but even then everyone couldn't accept that setup had full jk "how can setup have full role, when everyone is JOAT/1-shot?" :lol: Or my favorite "it's anime theme, so it must have very similar roles to other anime closed setup from past" :lol:
FL’s claim was obviously fake but Norwee kept insisting that it was Pine’s role that was unbelievable. We aren’t going to have two identical town joats in the same setup.

No wonder with jjh as a team member I had trouble being sure on Norwee!town from that.
We just need to tread carefully because if you slip up around her as scum she notices and will tear your spine out and slap you to death with it. (I'm slightly scared of Nancy)
~the worst
Nancy is pretty heavenly ngl
~CheekyTeeky
Nancy-scum feels like a hot knife slicing through butter. Nancy-town feels like a magnifying glass in the sun glaring down at an insect.
~Taly

Return to “Team Mafia 2021”