Mafia Normal Project: Role + Modifer Mod/Player FAQ

This forum is for discussion related to the game.
TemporalLich
TemporalLich
Grand Scheme
TemporalLich
Grand Scheme
Grand Scheme

Post Post #4 (isolation #0) » Fri Oct 01, 2021 5:56 pm

Post by TemporalLich »

think of it like this:

Backup is a
modifier
, it modifies the attached role to be only usable when a role of that type exists. If a 1-shot Loyal Doctor dies, a Nurse (special name for a Backup Doctor) gains a now ungated and non-Loyal Doctor ability. A 1-shot Nurse has a 1-shot ability even if the Doctor already used a shot.

Universal Backup is a
passive role
, it can receive modifiers that make sense for passive roles but it will inherit the modifiers (and used shots!) from the role that died. If a 1-shot Doctor that is depleted dies, the UB will be depleted. I'd assume an Even Night UB that inherits an ungated Cop can start cop checking on even and odd nights.

A UB related question: Is there a non-random way to resolve a UB inheritance when multiple players that a UB can inherit from die during the Night?

Extreme minutia: Would a Backup UB become able to inherit a role when a UB inherits a role?
time will end
TemporalLich
TemporalLich
Grand Scheme
TemporalLich
Grand Scheme
Grand Scheme

Post Post #5 (isolation #1) » Fri Oct 01, 2021 5:59 pm

Post by TemporalLich »

I'd also like to point out that a Bodyguard doesn't redirect kills, but merely dies from a successful protect.

Also BG + Doctor is an unbreakable circle protect (if the Doctor gets targeted, the BG takes the bullet but then gets healed, if the BG gets targeted the BG gets healed), and I'd personally resolve a BG + BG circle protect as the BG that wasn't targeted by the kill dying (I think this is how Reasonable Action Resolution resolves it? - it cuts off infinite loops by disallowing the same exact reason to appear more than once in action resolution).
time will end
TemporalLich
TemporalLich
Grand Scheme
TemporalLich
Grand Scheme
Grand Scheme

Post Post #15 (isolation #2) » Mon Oct 04, 2021 8:21 pm

Post by TemporalLich »

Activated Neighbor would make the most sense if it were to activate for the next cycle (if you activate N1, you have Neighbor access D2 and N2) imo.

Disclaimer: I am using Theme logic and should not be considered someone who knows how Normals work. I ran a Normal with a 1-shot Ascetic and a different Normal with a Neighbor Enabler

I am pretty sure this would not work in a Normal but that's the way I'd expect an Activated Neighbor to work.
time will end
TemporalLich
TemporalLich
Grand Scheme
TemporalLich
Grand Scheme
Grand Scheme

Post Post #18 (isolation #3) » Tue Oct 05, 2021 5:00 am

Post by TemporalLich »

BG death is a standard death though? I used the wording "Each night, you may protect another player from a single kill, however you will die if you successfully protect against a kill." in my last Normal for a BG. Note the intentional lack of the word "unavoidably". BG death can be protected against, and that setup also had a Roaming Doctor (which would allow the circle protect to work only once).

As for rolestopper + BG I would assume that is also a circle protect but someone could nitpick that to not be a circle protect (likely with the reasoning of "bodyguard death isn't technically an ability") and it's better if Bodyguard worked consistently imo.
time will end
TemporalLich
TemporalLich
Grand Scheme
TemporalLich
Grand Scheme
Grand Scheme

Post Post #19 (isolation #4) » Tue Oct 05, 2021 5:13 am

Post by TemporalLich »

If you're going to say that BG death is unavoidable, please consider how that would affect a Multitasking Bodyguard Commuter or a Combined Bodyguard Commuter - the latter would not be effectively the same thing as a Combined Doctor Commuter if BG death is unavoidable.
time will end
TemporalLich
TemporalLich
Grand Scheme
TemporalLich
Grand Scheme
Grand Scheme

Post Post #24 (isolation #5) » Tue Oct 05, 2021 8:28 pm

Post by TemporalLich »

anyone who wants to include Combined Bodyguard Commuter (please don't make this an ungated role)
in a theme
could just insert the operating word "unavoidable" to actually make it work the way it should.

Since the greylist is gone, that is not possible with the Normal Bodyguard, which is treated as a normal death that can be protected from (this is implicit on the wiki page, especially with the intro using the same word in "However, if the protected player is supposed to be
killed
, the Bodyguard is
killed
instead ("taking the bullet" for them, as it were)." (emphasis added))
time will end
TemporalLich
TemporalLich
Grand Scheme
TemporalLich
Grand Scheme
Grand Scheme

Post Post #25 (isolation #6) » Tue Oct 05, 2021 8:31 pm

Post by TemporalLich »

I don't want to be accused of misgaming Large Normal 235 for an interaction that didn't actually come up but could have
time will end
TemporalLich
TemporalLich
Grand Scheme
TemporalLich
Grand Scheme
Grand Scheme

Post Post #26 (isolation #7) » Wed Oct 06, 2021 12:30 pm

Post by TemporalLich »

random question: Activated Informed would get the same piece of information each successful activation right?
time will end
TemporalLich
TemporalLich
Grand Scheme
TemporalLich
Grand Scheme
Grand Scheme

Post Post #34 (isolation #8) » Wed Oct 06, 2021 8:02 pm

Post by TemporalLich »

In post 31, Cheery Dog wrote:If anybody is looking at those roles Cook just suggested, as she just asked in the discord if they're mechanically normal.
I would like to point out the aim of normal games.
reasonably balanced and not deviant from what one would reasonably expect in a standard game of Mafia.
only one of Cook's Role PMs is possibly Normal (mechanically Normal is still up in the air as idk if the same role existing more than once in a Role PM is Normal - and it is unlikely to be actually Normal even if it were mechanically Normal - unlike a Combined Cop Commuter (which I'd say is not actually Normal because of balance reasons) the reason I'd say it isn't actually Normal is Normality reasons as a quad activated informed is very distant from Normal expectations.

Shot gaining is abNormal to my knowledge.
time will end

Return to “Mafia Discussion”