[OPEN EXPERIMENTAL SETUP (needs work)] Lockdown's Over

This forum is for discussion of individual Open Setups, including theoretical balance.
MargotRosa
MargotRosa
she/her
Goon
MargotRosa
she/her
Goon
Goon
Pronoun: she/her

[OPEN EXPERIMENTAL SETUP (needs work)] Lockdown's Over

Post Post #0 (ISO) » Tue Oct 12, 2021 7:10 pm

Post by MargotRosa »

2 x Town Compulsive Rolecop

2 x Town Compulsive Vigilante

3 x Town Compulsive Fruit Vendor

3 x Town Paranoid Gun Owner

Town Compulsive Neighbourizer

Vanilla Town

Mafia Flag Bearer w/ One-Shot Bulletproof Vest

Mafia Paranoid Gun Owner w/ One-Shot Bulletproof Vest

Mafia Universal Backup w/ One-Shot Bulletproof Vest

This is admittedly a very weird setup, and I'm more floating it as a potential experimental idea that needs a lot of work.

Idea is that Town wins once Flag Bearer is killed. Universal backup works as a backup flag bearer in the instance that they die before the Mafia PGO.

This Town-Sidedness is balanced with a large number of potentially useful, and compulsive but useless night actions for Town, combined with a number of Paranoid Gun Owners. Mafia start with three one-shot bulletproof vests to give them some leeway to plan around this, however these can be countered to more or less of a degree by Town vigilantes.

Site meta for claiming PGOs day 1 is countered by a number of PGOs that is too big to policy eliminate. Potential strategies include Mafia not claiming PGO, a different member of Mafia team claiming PGO to to real one, all Mafia claiming PGO (leaving 6 claims and only 4 real PGOs). The list is potentially endless.

I'm mostly excited about a whacky setup that could lead to very explosive short games, and some fun flavour.

I also considered another version in which Mafia had two bombs rather than the universal backup, and Town had one fewer rolecops. I think this would probably work better, but it's so difficult to tell given how ridiculous even approaching balance is here.

I recognise the setup is really bizarre, and wouldn't be able to mod it anyway for a few months (given account age). I wanted initial thoughts so I can roll it over in my head for the next little while and come up with something similar that IS balanced.
Something_Smart
Something_Smart
He/him
Somewhat_Balanced
Something_Smart
He/him
Somewhat_Balanced
Somewhat_Balanced
Pronoun: He/him

Post Post #1 (ISO) » Wed Oct 13, 2021 2:29 am

Post by Something_Smart »

If everyone claims D1, that guarantees at least four confirmed town, right? That plus two vigis and two cops seems... excessive, especially when scum have no way to block actions or otherwise punish massclaim. Mafia PGO is of marginal value since everyone can announce their target before the night.
It's always the same. When you fire that first shot, no matter how right you feel, you have no idea who's going to die. You don't know whose children are going to scream and burn. How many hearts will be broken. How many lives shattered. How much blood will spill, until everybody does what they're always going to have to do from the very beginning... SIT DOWN AND TALK!
MargotRosa
MargotRosa
she/her
Goon
MargotRosa
she/her
Goon
Goon

Post Post #2 (ISO) » Wed Oct 13, 2021 2:47 am

Post by MargotRosa »

I was thinking more that Scum have huge claim space, but you're right that mass claim could ruin that.

Possible fixes would be making vanilla Town a flag bearer, increasing # of Scum players, giving Scum a corresponding PR for each of Town's PR groups, etc.

Actually, what of Scum has a gunsmith, and can give one-shot guns to any player. Giving guns would explicitly resolve before all other actions at night. Would that fix the target announcing?
Something_Smart
Something_Smart
He/him
Somewhat_Balanced
Something_Smart
He/him
Somewhat_Balanced
Somewhat_Balanced

Post Post #3 (ISO) » Wed Oct 13, 2021 2:49 am

Give guns as in giving vig shots? Why wouldn't they just give them to their partners? Or is this giving a compulsive PGO?
It's always the same. When you fire that first shot, no matter how right you feel, you have no idea who's going to die. You don't know whose children are going to scream and burn. How many hearts will be broken. How many lives shattered. How much blood will spill, until everybody does what they're always going to have to do from the very beginning... SIT DOWN AND TALK!
MargotRosa
MargotRosa
she/her
Goon
MargotRosa
she/her
Goon
Goon

Post Post #4 (ISO) » Wed Oct 13, 2021 2:51 am

Post by MargotRosa »

Basically, yeah. Idea being that if you announce kills, you are doing yourself a disservice. Maybe would need a specific modifier for mafia flag bearer to say that they cannot weird guns?

This may just be getting too complicated, but there's something here I think
MargotRosa
MargotRosa
she/her
Goon
MargotRosa
she/her
Goon
Goon

Post Post #5 (ISO) » Wed Oct 13, 2021 2:52 am

Post by MargotRosa »

Maybe take out the Neighbourizer and replace with a Mafia goon
Something_Smart
Something_Smart
He/him
Somewhat_Balanced
Something_Smart
He/him
Somewhat_Balanced
Somewhat_Balanced

Post Post #6 (ISO) » Wed Oct 13, 2021 2:59 am

Generally, if you want to have a setup with a lot of PR's, the safest thing is to make it semi-open, so either the PR's could be either alignment (like Pick Your Power X/Y), or not all the PR's will be in the game (like Stack the Deck), or there are a varying number of each PR (like Brass & Shrapnel).

To me, those all seem like better ideas than just upping the number of scum.

The PGO thing is on the right track, but that feels very punishing if they happen to get a good hit. I was thinking more along the lines of a roleblocker/rolestopper.
MargotRosa
MargotRosa
she/her
Goon
MargotRosa
she/her
Goon
Goon

Post Post #7 (ISO) » Wed Oct 13, 2021 3:05 am

Post by MargotRosa »

I shall sleep on it. I do like the semi-open idea. I started out originally planning a semi-open, with a very similar setup, except where all info was hidden to Town except that Mafia had a flagbearer. The other important change was that the two scum team mates were PGO bombs (where the order of operations would be Town action, bomb reaction, PGO reaction)
T3
T3
He/him
Survivor
T3
He/him
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #8 (ISO) » Wed Oct 13, 2021 11:42 am

Post by T3 »

this looks like one of those weird crazy swingy setups that i see in chat mafia
overall i think this is balanced?
MargotRosa
MargotRosa
she/her
Goon
MargotRosa
she/her
Goon
Goon

Post Post #9 (ISO) » Wed Oct 13, 2021 12:25 pm

Post by MargotRosa »

Ok, new idea, plus a new role that I couldn't find an analogue for on the wiki

2 x Town Compulsive Vigilante

4 x Town Compulsive Fruit Vendor

1 x Town Paranoid Gun Owner

Town Compulsive Neighbourizer

2 x Vanilla Town

Lucid Mafia Flag Bearer

Night 0 active Mafia Paranoid Gun Owning Conspiracy Theorist

Lucid Mafia Universal Backup

Rules for a conspiracy theorist is that you visit a player each night and turn them into a paranoid gun owner. People you visit do not know they have become a PGO.
Rules for 'lucid' modifier is that you are immune to visits from a conspiracy theorist (however can become a PGO because of Universal Backup). You are also immune to being shot by PGOs if you visit them at night.

Town wins when every Mafia Flag Bearer is dead.

Mafia wins when it is impossible to stop Mafia from winning against Town (normal Mafia win condition, but with the caveat that 1v1 can lose rather than draw for a non lucid mafia if they are up against a PGO.
Cook
Cook
She
Mafia Scum
Cook
She
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum
Pronoun: She

Post Post #10 (ISO) » Wed Oct 13, 2021 1:34 pm

Post by Cook »

i'd rename conspiracy theorist to something else as it also is a common name for a role that detects aliens while investigating as alien

lucid is a good modifier, "aware of hidden effects or abilities"
Your friendly neighborhood chef and baker. LONG LIVE THE CHEFHAT REBELLION!
Cults With Guns //
"ya true if you don't play mafia you are probably winning" – Alisae

Inventor of 3d20 //
Successful Rebellion Leader//
MargotRosa
MargotRosa
she/her
Goon
MargotRosa
she/her
Goon
Goon

Post Post #11 (ISO) » Wed Oct 13, 2021 1:47 pm

Post by MargotRosa »

What about prepper?

In reference to end of the world, tells everyone to build a bunker and stock up on weaponry and beans preppers
MargotRosa
MargotRosa
she/her
Goon
MargotRosa
she/her
Goon
Goon

Post Post #12 (ISO) » Wed Oct 13, 2021 1:48 pm

Post by MargotRosa »

So a prepper creates paranoid gun owners, and lucid modifieds are immune to preppers and PGOs
Gypyx
Gypyx
She/Her
Virtute Ex Machina
Gypyx
She/Her
Virtute Ex Machina
Virtute Ex Machina
Pronoun: She/Her

Post Post #13 (ISO) » Tue Oct 19, 2021 6:19 am

Post by Gypyx »

arms dealer feels better to me
bottom text
MargotRosa
MargotRosa
she/her
Goon
MargotRosa
she/her
Goon
Goon

Post Post #14 (ISO) » Tue Oct 19, 2021 1:52 pm

Post by MargotRosa »

In post 13, Gypyx wrote:arms dealer feels better to me
Do you mean as a name for a role that creates PGOs? Or do you mean a role that makes vigilantes?

If the first, I'm in favour, except that I think a few people will assume the meaning refers to the latter.

If you do mean the latter, then I worry that whatever pretence of balance the setup has is completely thrown out
RH9
RH9
he/him
Mafia Scum
RH9
he/him
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum
Pronoun: he/him

Post Post #15 (ISO) » Tue Oct 19, 2021 1:57 pm

Post by RH9 »

To be fair, I'm worried that Arms Dealer might make people think that it is role which gives other roles One-Shot Day Vigilantes. At least, that was what I was thinking. I blame the fact that I know a site, where Arms Dealer does that.
GTKAS: 2022, 2024

v/la every weekend

indefinite hiatus from mafia solo
MargotRosa
MargotRosa
she/her
Goon
MargotRosa
she/her
Goon
Goon

Post Post #16 (ISO) » Tue Oct 19, 2021 2:16 pm

Post by MargotRosa »

Is something like Sovereign Citizen too on the nose?
Gypyx
Gypyx
She/Her
Virtute Ex Machina
Gypyx
She/Her
Virtute Ex Machina
Virtute Ex Machina
Pronoun: She/Her

Post Post #17 (ISO) » Tue Oct 19, 2021 5:39 pm

Post by Gypyx »

In post 14, MargotRosa wrote:
In post 13, Gypyx wrote:arms dealer feels better to me
Do you mean as a name for a role that creates PGOs? Or do you mean a role that makes vigilantes?

If the first, I'm in favour, except that I think a few people will assume the meaning refers to the latter.

If you do mean the latter, then I worry that whatever pretence of balance the setup has is completely thrown out
i meant for PGO obviously, but as you wish really
bottom text
MargotRosa
MargotRosa
she/her
Goon
MargotRosa
she/her
Goon
Goon

Post Post #18 (ISO) » Tue Oct 19, 2021 6:06 pm

Post by MargotRosa »

Nice.

Ok, well I'm putting this in my back pocket for now, until I have the requirements to run it. If someone else wants to run it in the meantime, be my guest

Return to “Open Setup Discussion”