Library of Atypical Factions [108/1000 roles]

This forum is for discussion related to the game.
Jingle
Jingle
For Whom the Bell Trolls
Jingle
For Whom the Bell Trolls
For Whom the Bell Trolls

Post Post #45 (isolation #0) » Fri Sep 24, 2021 5:38 am

Post by Jingle »

Group Hug Recruitment Locker (
Group Hug
Alignment // Recruitment Locker)

Group Hug: The group hug faction wins if the largest number of players who can possibly win the game wins the game. Assume the Group Hug faction wins while making this determination.

Recruitment Locker: As long as this role is in the game, if a win condition relies on an effect changing win conditions (including cult like win conditions requiring recruitment), they instead win if they would have won had all their actions succeeded, even if they would have been stopped by another action (such as roleblocking). As long as this role is in the game, win conditions cannot be changed by any other means. This effect isn't ended by the death of the player who holds this role, but is ended by effects that would change this role such as Vanillazation.

In post 42, Not Known 15 wrote:
Not Known 15's VETO
(Evil Person/Informed)
If this is rolled as a card for any player, re-roll all previously rolled cards in the following VETO LIST and instantly re-roll any card on the VETO LIST that is rolled after this one.
VETO LISTCard 15, Card 19

Alignment:
Evil Person

You win if the factions Town and Nowt lose the game.
Role:Informed:You know that the post numbers vetoed by this post are not in the game.

No, don't worry, I will not submit any other list like this as a card.
I am submitting this list to make certain entries rarer, entries that I believe to be either generally unfun, breaking the usual structure and/or expectations of card choosing games.
Card 15: The role on this card coupled with self-aligned players could lead to "I will never release anyone". Players in this game expect role madness, not near-Vanilla games.
Vanillaizers only affect one person at a time, and target due to other's behaviours. None of this applies to that Passive Game-Start Global Vanillaizer.
Card 19: The alignment... where do I even begin? N0 hostile conversions are unfun. Extremely unfun. You didn't do anything in the game yet, and you were probably not able to. BOOM. Oh, you now have a giant target on your back and your role you chose for your faction is now potentially useless and you have a new alignment! Wait there's more! If you die you lose! And you need to compulsively pick someone else to give them the same alignment! And the one who chose Assassin might be even a dayvig who instakills you! Does this sound
fun
? Or even remotely fair? Is this what you'd normally expect from card choosing games?
Ironically, I think this role is against the spirit of "Collaborative Decks". You're trying to enforce your idea of what is good about the deck on everyone, when someone could just as easily be interested in a game with a large number of Atypical factions or a game where maximum swing is the desire.

But let's look at it for a moment:

There is a 39/1000 chance of any individual card being rolled in a 13p game. There is then the 1/3 chance that it is actually selected for the purpose you are worried about (assuming that that choice is random, and if, as you say, the role itself is unfun then clearly you believe it will be chosen significantly less than that). Comparatively, your Veto card forces the person drawing it to Veto all the cards you think are unfun without any choice in whether THEY think they're unfun, which is... kind of the thing you're complaining about.

And let's be clear, being worried that there could possibly be broken role combinations in an idea deck is laughable. If someone rolls Dayvig and Assassin, decides the most fun that they can have is to pick day vig and assassin, and then immediately wins the game, that's no different than any other game where a wincon is functionally unachievable on rand, which is a thing that happens in Idea games all the time.

Also, thank you for taking the time to address your concerns to me either publicly like this or privately via PM instead of making a role that is functionally "Fuck you I don't like your role."
This is a Parachute.
Jingle
Jingle
For Whom the Bell Trolls
Jingle
For Whom the Bell Trolls
For Whom the Bell Trolls

Post Post #53 (isolation #1) » Fri Sep 24, 2021 2:39 pm

Post by Jingle »

Nowt Vengeance Taker
(Nowt Alignment / Vengeance Taker Role)

A Vengeance Taker may kill any player who created one of the cards they were dealt at the beginning of the game once during the game. For the purposes of this role, Jingle and Bingle are the same.

If anyone would like me to edit in a list of their alts to make this effect them, let me know. Mods may choose to apply this to all alts, if so they must publicly state before the game that secret alts are not allowed.

I DO have a problem with everyone getting one Veto Card, because it doesn't solve the issue that Veto cards are functionally enforcing your will on a game that you theoretically have nothing to do with with no agency of the player who rands it to you know... Not do that. It's a card that exists solely to remove the collaborative nature of the deck and I disagree with that fundamentally.

I will point out that your argument of "It's only one role." applies to the assassin card as well. I will point out that as it is, the Assassin card only ever changes 2 people's alignment, which is an odd definition for "many". I will point out that the assassin card is solved by all of the Troll cards, 13, 45, and at the very least any future cards that can't have their alignment changed. I will point out that 13 is a card that is inherently unfun for anyone who chose a role that has anything to do with alignment change because it makes the game functionally unwinnable for them N0 without them having any say in the matter.

But really, none of that matters. I'm not advocating that 13 be removed or making a veto for it, because this is a collaborative deck. There will inevitably be situations like 1 town in an 8 Nowt game where the town can't win and is stuck with their thumb up their ass playing a game that CANNOT go their way. That's the whole point of collaborative idea decks. Crazy shit happens and roles like 13 are half the fun. Do I take the cult like roll, or will there be some anti-cult measure that makes that a bad choice? And I would like to point out that when someone privately brought up issues with Assassin as a faction, I did make a good faith effort to improve the role based on their feedback.
This is a Parachute.
Jingle
Jingle
For Whom the Bell Trolls
Jingle
For Whom the Bell Trolls
For Whom the Bell Trolls

Post Post #54 (isolation #2) » Fri Sep 24, 2021 2:48 pm

Post by Jingle »

Paint-By-Numbers Role Wordcount Cop
(Paint-By-Numbers Alignment / Role Wordcount Cop Role)

Paint-By-Numbers: Each night you may guess a hexadecimal number. If that number is either the sum or product of the hexadecimal color code of all living players, you will be told. If you manage to guess the sum and product of the hexadecimal color code for all living players over the course of the game, you win the game. As long as you have not left the game via death or winning, the Town and Nowt cannot win the game.

Role Wordcount Cop: Each night you may target a player. You will be told how many words are in the posts their cards are from, as one sum total.

Mod notes and other forms of hidden text are included in the wordcounts.

In post 51, MegAzumarill wrote:Tldr: Make the abilities factional, they work like that.
Particularly, you could make the individual Horsemen into Factional inventions like the aliens get.
This is a Parachute.
Jingle
Jingle
For Whom the Bell Trolls
Jingle
For Whom the Bell Trolls
For Whom the Bell Trolls

Post Post #58 (isolation #3) » Sat Sep 25, 2021 11:14 am

Post by Jingle »

Miser Blind Inventor
(Miser Alignment // Blind Inventor Role)

Miser Alignment: The Miser team wins if the fewest possible number of non miser players wins the game, given the wincons present when the game ends. Do not take into account any potential alignment changes that could have occurred. The miser team has a factional poisoning, where they may target a player. That player will die at the end of the next day phase. This action is not a nightkill, and thus is not prevented by doctor like effects, although it may be roleblocked as normal. A random living miser is notified that they are responsible for choosing the poisoning target each night. Misers may not join PT's as the result of any effect.

Blind Inventor: Each night you may target a player. That player will receive a 1 shot version of a random active ability in the game. You will not be informed of the nature of the ability. (It is possible that ability will be this one.)

I'm explicitly not against feedback (Note: I did actually change the role when given feedback, as compared to confronted with a fuck you in the form of your Veto).

I'm giving you the legitimate reasons that I think your role is against the spirit of collaboration. As an olive branch because I really don't want this to escalate, I intend to change the Assassin role to trigger the conversion N1 instead of N0 (I'll need to log across accounts because I can't edit Bingle posts) although I will point out the reason I didn't initially do so was that letting the Assassin see the landscape of the game before making the choice of who they need to target is massively powerful for the initial Assassin. Actually, I have a thought about how to do that that may make the balance concern a non issue and I think will solve your stated issue as well.

WRT your issues with Guillotina's role, I think there's a fairly simple fix there as well. @Guillotina: simply edit your role to be a factional action and add another role onto the card. It solves NK's issue with stapling additional wincons to roles (which is fair, tbh) and it doesn't inherently change the card itself other than giving the person receiving it another role option. If the goal of the card is to have it be possible for it to fall into the hands of scum/3p/town, you could instead change the additional wincon to a "You cannot win via any win condition unless you have..." Which is 100% a role thing. (I forget the name of it, but there's a mafia role that makes it so you can only win if you're the last living member of the mafia, but the player is still absolutely a member of the mafia.)

And no, isn't something you can play around because by the time you know you need to play around it you're already dead. Which, again, is not a bad thing.
This is a Parachute.
Jingle
Jingle
For Whom the Bell Trolls
Jingle
For Whom the Bell Trolls
For Whom the Bell Trolls

Post Post #60 (isolation #4) » Sun Sep 26, 2021 7:35 am

Post by Jingle »

Group Hug Groupthinker
(Group Hug Alignment // Groupthinker)

Groupthinker: As long as you are alive, all investigative results will be posted in the day start instead of sent via PM. All names and other identifying information will be redacted from these posts, replaced by the text "Your target." This does not effect messages sent by messengers imitating investigative results but does effect fake investigative results.

You might consider making the Peace faction need to save more people the larger the faction is. 2 is probably a good number if there's only one Peace Goon, but if there are 3 Peace people two saves is probably trivial. (One peace goon fakes a guilty on a save target, then is protected at night.)

I'd go with 1+X saves, where X is the number of members of the Peace faction at gamestart.
This is a Parachute.
Jingle
Jingle
For Whom the Bell Trolls
Jingle
For Whom the Bell Trolls
For Whom the Bell Trolls

Post Post #81 (isolation #5) » Sat Oct 02, 2021 7:07 am

Post by Jingle »

Underdog Mirrored Dome (Underdog Alignment // Mirrored Dome Role)

Underdogs inherit the alignment of the first eliminated player.

Mirrored dome: You may target a player at night. Any action that player takes is instead targeted at themselves. Any action targeting that player instead targets the person taking the action. Your dome is very fragile, and if any killing actions target your target or your target takes a killing action, you will die. (Dying this way does not stop the reflection of actions)

Hater/Ally are variants off of Condemner/Savior and so should work well. The player choosing the target introduces swing and isn’t advisable in a closed, but works fine here. Siren might be trivial, but isn’t really bad. Outsider is probably way underpowered. Bogey should probably have to name post numbers and be limited to one guess per night, but seems fine. Anarchist seems like a weak name for that faction (the faction is anti swing not pro swing) but the faction itself is reasonable.
This is a Parachute.
Jingle
Jingle
For Whom the Bell Trolls
Jingle
For Whom the Bell Trolls
For Whom the Bell Trolls

Post Post #89 (isolation #6) » Sun Oct 03, 2021 2:13 pm

Post by Jingle »

Circle File Amnesiac Watcher (Circle File Alignment // Amnesiac Watcher Role)

Circle File: As soon as the discards are made public you may choose one to be your alignment. If for some reason the discards aren't made public, the mod chooses one for you. This does not count as changing your alignment or being recruited for game effects, as you do not have an alignment before this choice is made.

Amnesiac Watcher: Each night you may target a player. A random player will receive a list of the players who targeted your target, but not what roles they have. You will not show up on this list. They will not be told who you targeted.

You should include both the Amnesiac Watcher and the target of the Watcher ability when randomly determining who receives the results. A new random player should be chosen every night the amnesiac watcher acts. The watcher should not be informed of who received their results.

In post 82, camelCasedSnivy wrote:Forgot to mention that Bogey has a Full Role Cop action. Does that make it better?
The note about the Bogey was more an implementation thing than an issue with the alignment itself. If the player has to guess post numbers or role names (might be better, given Vanilla Roles), that provides a tangible proof that they know everyone's role and thus have won. And if they're not limited on when they can guess then they just spam the mod with guesses until they're right. The addition of a rolecop is fine either way, imo.
Last edited by Jingle on Sun Oct 03, 2021 2:26 pm, edited 2 times in total.
This is a Parachute.
Jingle
Jingle
For Whom the Bell Trolls
Jingle
For Whom the Bell Trolls
For Whom the Bell Trolls

Post Post #90 (isolation #7) » Sun Oct 03, 2021 2:18 pm

Post by Jingle »

Nowt Small (Alignment Nowt // Role Small)

Small: As long as you are alive, the mod must only make posts inside small tags:

Code: Select all

[size=75][/size]
Actions targeting you have a 60% chance to fail. If you are targeted by any action at night, even if it fails, you have a 10% chance of dying by being accidentally stepped on. This chance is not cumulative and is only rolled once per night you are targeted, regardless of how many times you are targeted.
Last edited by Jingle on Mon Oct 04, 2021 5:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
This is a Parachute.
Jingle
Jingle
For Whom the Bell Trolls
Jingle
For Whom the Bell Trolls
For Whom the Bell Trolls

Post Post #98 (isolation #8) » Tue Oct 19, 2021 5:10 pm

Post by Jingle »

Town Timelocked

At the beginning of each day, each player’s role and alignment becomes the role and alignment they initially chose, so long as you are alive.

In post 96, TemporalLich wrote:Added a 50 cap for conversion roles.
What does “conversion roles” cover? Would it include things like underdog that inherit alignments, or just things that effect other people’s alignments?
This is a Parachute.
Jingle
Jingle
For Whom the Bell Trolls
Jingle
For Whom the Bell Trolls
For Whom the Bell Trolls

Post Post #101 (isolation #9) » Wed Oct 20, 2021 3:26 am

Post by Jingle »

Town Ping Pong Enthusiast

You are a Cop (Results Town/Not Town) who may only target two players who have made a series of ten consecutive posts without any other posters or two posts in a row by the same player.

Must be an ABABABABAB pattern of posting.

Seems reasonable. Are town+ roles (roles that can only win with town but have some additional criteria to win) counted as town for the purposes of the threshold? I’d rather they weren’t, tbh, to give a bigger buffer for games starting, but technically they’d work just as well as actual town for making a game start.
This is a Parachute.
Jingle
Jingle
For Whom the Bell Trolls
Jingle
For Whom the Bell Trolls
For Whom the Bell Trolls

Post Post #103 (isolation #10) » Wed Oct 20, 2021 3:50 am

Post by Jingle »

Florist Friar Hugh
(Alignment Florist Friar // Role Hugh)

Florist Friars are immune to the elimination, although they can be killed via any other means. If a Florist Friar is hammered, the day ends in a no elimination. Florist Friars win and end the game if there are three day phases that do not result in an elimination, whether by their factional ability or by another means, or if nothing can prevent the same. Florist Friars have a factional PT.

Hugh: If Hugh hammers a Florist Friar, the Florist Friar will be eliminated regardless of their factional elim proof ability. Other methods of preventing elimination are unaffected.

Only Hugh can prevent Florist Friars

I’m open to suggestions to improve balance here.
This is a Parachute.

Return to “Mafia Discussion”