[Let's Scrutinize Games] Idol hunts

For large social games such as Survivor where the primary mechanic is social interaction.
kdowns
kdowns
He
Goddammit
kdowns
He
Goddammit
Goddammit
Pronoun: He

Post Post #12 (isolation #0) » Wed Dec 22, 2021 3:54 pm

Post by kdowns »

Let's take Three House as an example for this one. THere was a distinct advantage if you knew even a little lore about Fire Emblem games, like the Release date idol, or the sword idol. While yes, it's a bit advantageous to the person who is able to find it. I like the White Heron Cup idol where the person who received it had to give it away when they got it so that they couldn't personally use it on themself.

If we are talking about the PD Idol that was hidden behind the person who could get the best score in Donkey Kong. I didn't really like that idea either, as it clearly put a target on the back of the person who was the best at flash games. There is just not a good balance when it comes to the idols. I do like the idols though that have to be hidden behind a block forum, which people know that it's there.
kdowns
kdowns
He
Goddammit
kdowns
He
Goddammit
Goddammit
Pronoun: He

Post Post #17 (isolation #1) » Thu Dec 23, 2021 11:07 am

Post by kdowns »

In post 15, ambic wrote:I will add, i bought an ally in, to help me with a puzzle Id solved what to do. I was solving at 530 am my time and my brain was not fully functioning. By bringing an ally in, I engendered trust. If you cant solve something one way, use it as collateral to gain friends. There is no reason you can’t benefit still from something you can’t get on your own, as long as you choose wisely. Relationships outrank game powers in the long term.

I think that is the point that we are trying to make here. It shouldn't really reward the player who is willing to sacrifice sleep or other things just to get the idol. That's kind of why we started to get away from Endurance based challenges.

Return to “ORGs and Large Social Games [Big Brother: Digital Distortion Now Accepting Sign-ups!]”