[Let's Scrutinize Games] Idol hunts

For large social games such as Survivor where the primary mechanic is social interaction.
ambic
ambic
Maniac Mastermind
ambic
Maniac Mastermind
Maniac Mastermind

Post Post #10 (isolation #0) » Tue Dec 21, 2021 12:47 pm

Post by ambic »

I fail to see the problem. I just thought to myself, what would I do If I were running this, and looked there. I found the Launchdate puzzle, solved it late. Got given an idol, and solved the sword one. Go figure. It's down to the enthusiasm of the player.
ambic
ambic
Maniac Mastermind
ambic
Maniac Mastermind
Maniac Mastermind

Post Post #11 (isolation #1) » Tue Dec 21, 2021 12:49 pm

Post by ambic »

The spelling mistakes were immediately obviously something.

My only issue is I thought the spelling mistakes were a separate idol from the link in the player profiles, which I found independently.
ambic
ambic
Maniac Mastermind
ambic
Maniac Mastermind
Maniac Mastermind

Post Post #14 (isolation #2) » Wed Dec 22, 2021 11:09 pm

Post by ambic »

In post 12, kdowns wrote:Let's take Three House as an example for this one. THere was a distinct advantage if you knew even a little lore about Fire Emblem games, like the Release date idol, or the sword idol. While yes, it's a bit advantageous to the person who is able to find it. I like the White Heron Cup idol where the person who received it had to give it away when they got it so that they couldn't personally use it on themself.

If we are talking about the PD Idol that was hidden behind the person who could get the best score in Donkey Kong. I didn't really like that idea either, as it clearly put a target on the back of the person who was the best at flash games. There is just not a good balance when it comes to the idols. I do like the idols though that have to be hidden behind a block forum, which people know that it's there.
I disagree here. I was able to google what I needed in seconds. While seconds might count, they also might have counted in the quiz challenge, the kung fu chess challenge, or any number of other challenges. I literally had never heard of the game, but the design mostly didn’t require it, and where it did, it was easily findable with a very small amount of effort. If a puzzle was to involve american state abbreviations, id be at a disadvantage not being american and yet, id still have no problem with solving such a thing, because knowing what to do with the information is the real trick, not whether or not know you know something intrinsically - and Im saying this as a first time player.
ambic
ambic
Maniac Mastermind
ambic
Maniac Mastermind
Maniac Mastermind

Post Post #15 (isolation #3) » Wed Dec 22, 2021 11:17 pm

Post by ambic »

I will add, i bought an ally in, to help me with a puzzle Id solved what to do. I was solving at 530 am my time and my brain was not fully functioning. By bringing an ally in, I engendered trust. If you cant solve something one way, use it as collateral to gain friends. There is no reason you can’t benefit still from something you can’t get on your own, as long as you choose wisely. Relationships outrank game powers in the long term.
ambic
ambic
Maniac Mastermind
ambic
Maniac Mastermind
Maniac Mastermind

Post Post #18 (isolation #4) » Thu Dec 23, 2021 12:55 pm

Post by ambic »

Well, perhaps sacrificing sleep isn't the right concept. I went to sleep having not solved the puzzle. Somehow when I awoke I knew what to do. I was so excited by the idea I jumped out of bed. Ideas do that to me. WIth or without survivor games. I draw comics as a hobby, usually for my own interest rather than anyone elses, so I dont tend to publish them anywhere. I've been known to draw them at all kinds of weird hours :D

I do have an idea that might 'solve' the perceived problem here, but it's not something I can share right now, as I'm currently honing it with a well known mod on the site, for the possibility of running something in October 2021 (depending on how busy my job becomes).
ambic
ambic
Maniac Mastermind
ambic
Maniac Mastermind
Maniac Mastermind

Post Post #23 (isolation #5) » Fri Dec 24, 2021 10:55 am

Post by ambic »

"TBH, I'm surprised no one thought the swords were suspicious prior to the clue going out"
I did notice them, I just didn't know what to do with them. I forgot about them after that.

Return to “ORGs and Large Social Games [Big Brother: Digital Distortion Now Accepting Sign-ups!]”