[CASUAL] January Movie Challenge

For completed/abandoned Mish Mash Games.
Nero Cain
Nero Cain
Survivor
Nero Cain
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #69 (isolation #0) » Wed Jan 05, 2022 10:18 pm

Post by Nero Cain »

So I watched
In A World...
the other day and thought it was ok. The reviews on it are mostly positive (6.7 on IMDB and 92% on RT) but I've never heard of it despite it being a 2013 movie and winning an award at Sundance. It calls itself a comedy and yes there are maybe some funny scenes but it feels more like a drama to me.

Of all tyrannies,a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

edited c.s. lewis quote b/c limit
Nero Cain
Nero Cain
Survivor
Nero Cain
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #70 (isolation #1) » Wed Jan 05, 2022 10:21 pm

Post by Nero Cain »

^
the ending was pretty good I thought
Of all tyrannies,a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

Nero Cain
Nero Cain
Survivor
Nero Cain
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #71 (isolation #2) » Wed Jan 05, 2022 10:54 pm

Post by Nero Cain »

Also, I just got done re?watching Major League (1989) since it was on tv and I was too lazy to turn on Hulu or Amazon. I could have sworn I've seen this before but I only remembered the beginning and the end. Nevertheless, I think it's a funny film with colorful characters. It's fun and enjoyable to watch.

Nero Cain
Nero Cain
Survivor
Nero Cain
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #83 (isolation #3) » Thu Jan 06, 2022 6:16 pm

Post by Nero Cain »

In post 80, Kublai Khan wrote:@Nero Cain -
South Park specials = 95 min (1 point, 15 min carry over)
It was Pork not me that watched South Park but his 2 score is still correct

gonna stay true to the theme and watch only movies

Nero Cain
Nero Cain
Survivor
Nero Cain
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #89 (isolation #4) » Fri Jan 07, 2022 6:52 pm

Post by Nero Cain »

movies are about an hour and a half long but an hour+ is likely a pretty decent time frame to call it a "movie." doccies might be a bit shorter and doccy series on tv/youtube are like 40 mins. I wouldn't really count tv-shows...I mean maybe you could argue that a canceled/completed tv show that has an ending that brings its storyline (mostly? plot holes and cliffhangers are ok.) to an end is just like a really long movie. I mean one could certainly argue that short-form media is a short movie in its own right: a 45-minute episode of law and order completes its storyline when the bad guy or girl is caught and sentenced to jail. or when Bender is rescued from Robot Hell. There's a lot of subjectivity here. The easiest thing would be if we just all watched movies/documentaries but this is just for fun and not competitive besides none of us are going to beat Malk anyways. :lol:

My suggestion might be something like

1 hour 20 minute-1 1/2 hour movie=2 points but if you want to watch something like Matrjoschka it still counts for 2.
3 episodes of 40ish min show/video=2 points making each episode worth .6
6 episodes of a 20ish min show/video=2 point making each episode worth .3

and I just kinda wanted to give my opinion but lets all just have fun with it and not get caught up in scoring or anything. I myself here am here to show off my great taste in movies and learn about other movies I have not watched/heard of.

Nero Cain
Nero Cain
Survivor
Nero Cain
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #109 (isolation #5) » Tue Jan 11, 2022 4:27 pm

Post by Nero Cain »

Coherence-2013-1hr 29 mins

This was a bit of a roller coaster for me. In the beginning, it felt pretty good then about halfway through I was at "eh..." and then I was "this isn't bad" Its a sci-fi/drama movie that
deals with multiple realities.
It has mostly positive scores, 7.2 on IMDB/81% audience score on Rotten Tomatoes.Some of the more negative reviews knocked it for a lack of originality but with sci-fi (and I guess the movie business as a whole) you are going to run similar themes and ideas so I'm not really upset about it. For myself, I got a little lost at times but I think this was a decent watch and prob alot better than some higher-budget films.

Nero Cain
Nero Cain
Survivor
Nero Cain
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #111 (isolation #6) » Wed Jan 12, 2022 12:19 am

Post by Nero Cain »

The Alchemist Cookbook-2016-1hr 22mins

boring as shit! I was ready to turn it off after 13 minutes but I powered through in the hopes that it would get better. nope. It's possible that the intent was a social statement about addiction or mental illness and that was my first thought. Not really sure how anyone gave this over four stars though, RT's 35% audience score is prob a more realistic take than IMDB's 5.2

Nero Cain
Nero Cain
Survivor
Nero Cain
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #123 (isolation #7) » Thu Jan 13, 2022 4:02 pm

Post by Nero Cain »

In post 110, Malkon05 wrote:I'm not sure how this series got 6 movies made.
$$$ and possibly how much pull Paul Anderson and/or whoever produced the films has.

Like I'm sure you already knew that but I'm bored so I looked up how much each film made.

Resident Evil-$102,984,862

Apocalypse-$129,342,769

Extinction-$147,717,833

Afterlife-$300,228,084

Retribution-$240,159,255

The Final Chapter-$312,242,626

If you are making this kind of bank I think most ppl are gonna ride that cash cow. I mean maybe they aren't that good but $$$ mostly rules Hollywood.

The following is from the trivia section off of IMDB about Extinction and I find it hilarious.
The film was not screened for critics, most likely due to the overwhelmingly-negative reviews from critics for the first two films.

Nero Cain
Nero Cain
Survivor
Nero Cain
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #169 (isolation #8) » Sun Jan 23, 2022 2:55 am

Post by Nero Cain »

*Matt Damon

Nero Cain
Nero Cain
Survivor
Nero Cain
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #175 (isolation #9) » Sun Jan 23, 2022 6:27 pm

Post by Nero Cain »

Pick of the litter-2018

documentary that follows a litter of puppies as they train to become guide dogs for the blind. I thought it was fine. Might have been worthwhile to explore the hardships (if any) for the people that raise the puppies but other than that it was fine.

Nero Cain
Nero Cain
Survivor
Nero Cain
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #178 (isolation #10) » Mon Jan 24, 2022 2:05 am

Post by Nero Cain »

The Beach-2000

eh.....it was ok? The first part was fairly entertaining I thought but midway through the film it went downhill for me and I thought the ending was kinda meh but I get it. I think the premise of the is better than the execution.

Nero Cain
Nero Cain
Survivor
Nero Cain
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #180 (isolation #11) » Mon Jan 24, 2022 7:30 pm

Post by Nero Cain »

Plaza Suite-1971

Hulu has this mislabeled as a comedy, at least IMHO. Like you could maybe argue that the first act is meant to be sardonic and you could say the third act is straight-up comedy/drama but the 2nd isn't comedic at all.

Nero Cain
Nero Cain
Survivor
Nero Cain
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #190 (isolation #12) » Fri Jan 28, 2022 6:18 pm

Post by Nero Cain »

have I won yet?

Nero Cain
Nero Cain
Survivor
Nero Cain
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #196 (isolation #13) » Fri Jan 28, 2022 11:42 pm

Post by Nero Cain »

Dora and the Lost City of Gold-2019

Yes, you heard that right. I watched a family movie based on an educational children's show from nickelodeon and it wasn't horrible. Like I'm not saying that it's the next Citizen Kane but it's no Plan 9 either. There was a mix of live action and animation and I wasn't big on that. Like I think you make it as realistic as possible or go animated but you commit either way. Instead of an animated fox, maybe one of the bad guys has a pet fox or something. Or instead of the animated monkey character give her a real monkey or make Dora depressed or something and Boots is just a figment of her imagination. The movie still grossed over 100 mil without my shitty ideas so w/e.

It was more or less a fish out of water story when she
goes to live in the city
. And the full-on Indiana Jones when they get back to the jungle.

Nero Cain
Nero Cain
Survivor
Nero Cain
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #203 (isolation #14) » Sun Jan 30, 2022 6:59 pm

Post by Nero Cain »

Peanutbutter Falcon-2019

I think this was a very sweet film but probably not wowing. I liked the...I guess you'd say down syndrome advocacy. Some very positive messages in this film. I also liked how this came about: here's what IMDB says
The movie came about because the directors met Zack Gottsagen at a camp for disabled and non-disabled people and he expressed his desire to be a movie star. So the directors wrote the script around him and Zack's hopes and dreams that bled into the script and people they knew who would allow them to film for free and without permits.
If I'm being more critical about the film though. Like we all knew the love subplot would happen but it felts sorta forced as I don't really remember a romantic scene between Eleanor and Tyler. And then all of a sudden
Ty asks her to move away with him
after like zero buildup. Also Eleanor just sorta falling in line with Ty and Zack seemed out of character for her.

Return to “Sens-O-Tape Archive”