[CASUAL] January Movie Challenge

For completed/abandoned Mish Mash Games.
Ythan
Ythan
She
Welcome to the Haystack
Ythan
She
Welcome to the Haystack
Welcome to the Haystack
Pronoun: She

Post Post #200 (ISO) » Sat Jan 29, 2022 10:36 pm

Post by Ythan »

That's set just across the spookily named Cape Fear River from here.
Malkon05
Malkon05
He/Him/His
Mashtermind
Malkon05
He/Him/His
Mashtermind
Mashtermind
Pronoun: He/Him/His

Post Post #201 (ISO) » Sun Jan 30, 2022 6:12 am

Post by Malkon05 »

Oh nice!
Malkon05
Malkon05
He/Him/His
Mashtermind
Malkon05
He/Him/His
Mashtermind
Mashtermind

Post Post #202 (ISO) » Sun Jan 30, 2022 12:33 pm

Post by Malkon05 »

38) I Still Know What You Did Last Summer

*sigh* why did I get the nostalgia bug? I really shouldn't have watched this. It was not good. There were so many bad cliches and like ridiculous situations. Like what resort in the bahamas during good weather doesn't have like hundreds of guests? What airline constantly is flying at ridiculous hours of the night to the bahamas on a regular basis? How realistically do you drive a boat through a freaking hurricane? And how are you not reeling in pain from having broken your arm and then fighting two separate serial killers at once?

Not even Jack Black and Brandy can save this sequel. It should probably have never been made. 1.8/5.
Nero Cain
Nero Cain
Survivor
Nero Cain
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #203 (ISO) » Sun Jan 30, 2022 6:59 pm

Post by Nero Cain »

Peanutbutter Falcon-2019

I think this was a very sweet film but probably not wowing. I liked the...I guess you'd say down syndrome advocacy. Some very positive messages in this film. I also liked how this came about: here's what IMDB says
The movie came about because the directors met Zack Gottsagen at a camp for disabled and non-disabled people and he expressed his desire to be a movie star. So the directors wrote the script around him and Zack's hopes and dreams that bled into the script and people they knew who would allow them to film for free and without permits.
If I'm being more critical about the film though. Like we all knew the love subplot would happen but it felts sorta forced as I don't really remember a romantic scene between Eleanor and Tyler. And then all of a sudden
Ty asks her to move away with him
after like zero buildup. Also Eleanor just sorta falling in line with Ty and Zack seemed out of character for her.
Of all tyrannies,a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

edited c.s. lewis quote b/c limit
Malkon05
Malkon05
He/Him/His
Mashtermind
Malkon05
He/Him/His
Mashtermind
Mashtermind

Post Post #204 (ISO) » Sun Jan 30, 2022 8:32 pm

Post by Malkon05 »

39) Scary Movie 4

This was infinitely better than whatever I just tried to watch last. But It's still hella dumb. I love Anna Faris who sparkles in this in spite of how ridiculous the plot is (which is why we watch these movies in the first place.) Cindi is back and she teams up with Brenda and a hot dad named Tom Ryan in order to stop aliens from making everyone turn into dust...or becoming naked. There's also tie ins to saw, the grudge, the village, and for some reason brokeback mountain. Lots of laughs and cheap entertainment in this one. If you are looking for a good time or just for time to kill, go ahead, it's dumb, we all know it, and we still watch it. 3.2/5
Kublai Khan
Kublai Khan
Khan Man
Kublai Khan
Khan Man
Khan Man

Post Post #205 (ISO) » Mon Jan 31, 2022 4:51 pm

Post by Kublai Khan »

Survivor Season 19

I know most of this site enjoys Survivor and I'm rather late to it so this is why I'm watching stuff from 13 years back. But this season was tough to watch.

This is the first season I've watched since I watched Squid Games. Survivor (and the idea of people hurting themselves for a shot to win money) really came to mind when watching Squid Games. I know nobody has died, but watching two people get evacuated for medical reasons (including severe dehydration) was kinda sobering. I felt really bad for them. It didn't help that this was the season where Russell was a millionaire oil company owner who just enjoyed shitting on poor people who were not taking strong risks because they had more to lose. Literally one Russell is pulled from the game crying because his body gave out and he lamented his family was depending on him while a different Russell is chuckling because he doesn't even need the money.

The whole season just reminded me of class warfare and I kinda soured on the experience.
Occasionally intellectually honest

Black Lives Matter
Get vaccinated
VashtaNeurotic
VashtaNeurotic
He/Him
Bullet Trainer
VashtaNeurotic
He/Him
Bullet Trainer
Bullet Trainer
Pronoun: He/Him

Post Post #206 (ISO) » Mon Jan 31, 2022 5:16 pm

Post by VashtaNeurotic »

16) FernGully (1992)

Can't believe this movie stole the plot of FernGully. In all seriousness it's an okayish kids movie with a blatant environmental message, that's about it. Oh, actually, one more thing:

Spoiler:

He's watching you.
Last edited by VashtaNeurotic on Mon Jan 31, 2022 5:18 pm, edited 2 times in total.
George Bailey
xofelf
xofelf
they/them(also ze/zem or xe/xem)
Miss Mash
xofelf
they/them(also ze/zem or xe/xem)
Miss Mash
Miss Mash
Pronoun: they/them(also ze/zem or xe/xem)

Post Post #207 (ISO) » Mon Jan 31, 2022 5:17 pm

Post by xofelf »

18) FernGully: The Last Rainforest(1992)

God when I was a kid I remember really liking this movie and also finding Hexxus a horrifying nightmare creature. Rewatching now though? Man, this movie did not hold up at all in any way. Sure the story is... whatever, but a lot of this movie is needless filler that I didn't really want on my screen. It just made me want to watch a lot of better movies that have this same message. Sidenote though, people don't go around calling each other bodacious enough anymore and we as a society should change this immediately.
Xalxe: this is xofelf sometimes we call each other names and other times we share emotions
MattyP: Ur an enigma tho when it comes to circadian rhythm and the traditions we hold dear when it comes to the sun and the moon
Get to reknow a xofelf here
Discord is faster than PMs or sitechat: xofelf#1697
VashtaNeurotic
VashtaNeurotic
He/Him
Bullet Trainer
VashtaNeurotic
He/Him
Bullet Trainer
Bullet Trainer

Post Post #208 (ISO) » Mon Jan 31, 2022 5:23 pm

Post by VashtaNeurotic »

17) Columbo S1 E4, S2 E2, S3 E4-6

Columbo is a great show and Peter Falk is amazing. I intended to watch quite a bit more this month but got sidetracked.
George Bailey
VashtaNeurotic
VashtaNeurotic
He/Him
Bullet Trainer
VashtaNeurotic
He/Him
Bullet Trainer
Bullet Trainer

Post Post #209 (ISO) » Mon Jan 31, 2022 5:28 pm

Post by VashtaNeurotic »

18) Umbrella Academy S2 (except E1)

An interesting show. Liked dealing with
time traveling to the 60s
but ultimately the ending refuses to do much more than clichés and pull out payoffs for things that aren't quite setup enough.
George Bailey
VashtaNeurotic
VashtaNeurotic
He/Him
Bullet Trainer
VashtaNeurotic
He/Him
Bullet Trainer
Bullet Trainer

Post Post #210 (ISO) » Mon Jan 31, 2022 5:33 pm

Post by VashtaNeurotic »

19) Gamestop: Rise of the Players

Was a pretty tepid documentary about the GameStop rise from the point of view of the people who actually believed in it from the start. It was pretty fine but it didn't need to be made, felt happy for the protagonists though and there was a moment I found hilarious where it was literally both a literal Hedge Fund Advisor and the early believers ragging on the people from WallStreetBets.
George Bailey
Malkon05
Malkon05
He/Him/His
Mashtermind
Malkon05
He/Him/His
Mashtermind
Mashtermind

Post Post #211 (ISO) » Mon Jan 31, 2022 5:38 pm

Post by Malkon05 »

40) Scary Movie 5

Cut this one a little close haha. I watched it in pieces on my lunch break today, last night, and then the last 30 minutes just now :D Anyways this movie is not the same without Anna Faris. Ashley Tisdale, bless her heart, tries her best to fill that role but she's just not the same. Anyways there are parodies of paranormal activity, evil dead, cabin in the woods, black swan and planet of the apes. There were also some moments from Inception, Ted, 50 shades of grey, and more. Like overall there's a coherent narrative, but again this series without Brenda and Cindi fighting about a tv leaking, or about how to solve saw traps, etc. etc. was just kind of boring. Like it had all the makings of a movie that could be funny, but ultimately it just fell short for me. 2/5...and that's being generous.

Wish I'd picked something better for my final movie, but here we are. At least I got 40 entries in <3
Malfatron
Malfatron
Watcher
Malfatron
Watcher
Watcher

Post Post #212 (ISO) » Mon Jan 31, 2022 5:50 pm

Post by Malfatron »

1) Midnight Mass
I highly recommend. Engaging performances and characters. Nice slow burn show.

My favorite tv show not named Succcession in a while

7 episodes, limited series
Malkon05
Malkon05
He/Him/His
Mashtermind
Malkon05
He/Him/His
Mashtermind
Mashtermind

Post Post #213 (ISO) » Mon Jan 31, 2022 5:55 pm

Post by Malkon05 »

In post 212, Malfatron wrote:1) Midnight Mass
I highly recommend. Engaging performances and characters. Nice slow burn show.

My favorite tv show not named Succcession in a while

7 episodes, limited series
Midnight Mass is so fantastic! Great choice :)
GeorgeBailey
GeorgeBailey
He/Him
GeorgeBailey
GeorgeBailey
He/Him
GeorgeBailey
GeorgeBailey

Post Post #214 (ISO) » Mon Jan 31, 2022 6:24 pm

Post by GeorgeBailey »

Shit, I never logged the next 2 seasons of Sopranos

First season if best btw.
GeorgeBailey
Malkon05
Malkon05
He/Him/His
Mashtermind
Malkon05
He/Him/His
Mashtermind
Mashtermind

Post Post #215 (ISO) » Thu Feb 03, 2022 6:12 pm

Post by Malkon05 »

Are we going to do this again at some point? <3
Ythan
Ythan
She
Welcome to the Haystack
Ythan
She
Welcome to the Haystack
Welcome to the Haystack
Pronoun: She

Post Post #216 (ISO) » Thu Feb 03, 2022 6:48 pm

Post by Ythan »

I ended up not watching a single movie through the entire month.

Return to “Sens-O-Tape Archive”