Happy Anniversary, mafiascum

This forum is for Administrators to post news concerning the site and forums.
mith
mith
Godfather
mith
Godfather
Godfather

Happy Anniversary, mafiascum

Post Post #0 (isolation #0) » Sun Mar 27, 2022 12:34 pm

Post by mith »

Howdy, all. How’s it going?

20 years is a long time. Literally (more than) half a lifetime - I’ll be 40 this summer. I am definitely not the same person I was when I created this site, or when I was last posting frequently even. And the site has evolved as well, of course.

I don’t have any big announcement or anything. Just felt like saying hi. :)
mith
mith
Godfather
mith
Godfather
Godfather

Post Post #24 (isolation #1) » Mon Mar 28, 2022 10:24 am

Post by mith »

This thread is now an AmA (Ask mith Anything). Go.

(Or not, I'm not your mom.)
mith
mith
Godfather
mith
Godfather
Godfather

Post Post #25 (isolation #2) » Mon Mar 28, 2022 10:26 am

Post by mith »

In post 8, PookyTheMagicalBear wrote:Half a lifetime of great memories. Miss you bud.
Miss you too, Pooky; how's the fam?
mith
mith
Godfather
mith
Godfather
Godfather

Post Post #30 (isolation #3) » Mon Mar 28, 2022 11:13 am

Post by mith »

In post 26, schadd_ wrote:how old is your kid (kids?)
Luke is 6 now, and Zoe is 3.
In post 27, PookyTheMagicalBear wrote:I wanted to visit Thesp in Dallas but ended up catching Covid(lol) before I got to ask him if he wanted to hang out(is it bad i think he lives in dallas but he might not? hopefully next time I won't catch covid randomly and we can hang out)
He's in the Austin area, actually. We play quite a bit of Race for the Galaxy and Shards of Infinity via iPhone app. :) We're actually in McKinney (two suburbs north of where we were, outskirts of DFW) now but I'm too lazy to change my profile.
In post 29, catboi wrote:What's your favorite sudoku variant?
I just got asked something close to this on the sudoku discord: My favorite to *solve* is either killer or kropki (pairs). My favorite to *set* is... arrow or classic? Hard to answer, it changes all the time.

For those who aren't aware, one of the things I have gotten into seriously over the pandemic is sudoku:

mith
mith
Godfather
mith
Godfather
Godfather

Post Post #31 (isolation #4) » Mon Mar 28, 2022 11:15 am

Post by mith »

In post 28, D3f3nd3r wrote:
In post 26, schadd_ wrote:how old is your kid (kids?)
I think there were two. I hope
Panzer's two least favorite people
Mith's kids are doing well!
They are! Luke is really thriving with kindergarten, after not being around other kids much for a while. And Zoe is the happiest person in the world 99% of the time. She has taken to wearing her backpack and mask at home for extended periods of time so she can practice going to school just like her big brother.
mith
mith
Godfather
mith
Godfather
Godfather

Post Post #36 (isolation #5) » Mon Mar 28, 2022 11:54 am

Post by mith »

In post 32, catboi wrote:favorite moment in a mafia game? (it's okay if nothing comes to mind! but I figure most people have a story they like sharing)
That's a pretty easy one. It's the time I sorta made MeMe cry. For the newer users, MeMe was an early presence on the site, and in fact the first List Mod. She and her family hosted a few meetups over the years.

This was at one of the meetups, back in the days of "lol Jester is a funny role". The setup had a Jester, some number of Mafia, and... maybe not much else, I don't remember and it isn't relevant. Not sure who was modding, either.

Day 1, and Atticus (MeMe's younger son) was acting incredibly suspicious. There was a lot of talk about him possibly being the Jester, but also we figured he could be Mafia trying to make us think he was the Jester so we wouldn't vote for him. So we were discussing "forcing" the Mafia to sort it out for us: either they kill Atticus for us at night, or we assume he's Mafia and vote him out the next day. Foolproof, right?

Being a bit cheeky, at the conclusion of this discussion I said loudly something along the lines of "Mafia, you understand the plan, right?", to which MeMe immediately responded "Yes". Boom, got'em.

It soon became clear that MeMe was not actually Mafia falling for the dumbest trick ever; at some point during our interrogation she became visibly upset by the whole thing, so either she was innocent, or the Jester pulling some next level mind games, or Mafia immediately winning a Scummy for crying on cue after making a slip. So I started to ease the pressure off, having convinced myself she was likely innocent.

Our attention turned to Dirge (MeMe's husband), who IIRC wasn't letting go of the "MeMe gave herself away" thing (it may have been something else that was suspect). With Day 1 having lasted ages at this point, he was quickly voted up... and revealed to be the Jester. (Atticus was, in fact, Mafia.)
mith
mith
Godfather
mith
Godfather
Godfather

Post Post #37 (isolation #6) » Mon Mar 28, 2022 12:02 pm

Post by mith »

In post 33, Pink Ball wrote:Happened to me too! Simon got me hooked, now I play a killer sudoku everyday (bathroom breaks turned into sudoku breaks basically).

Any app you recommend? The one I use is good, but it's not challenging enough now.
I guess it's not clear if you don't know me elsewhere, but I'm the one who set that particular puzzle. :)

When I solve, it's mostly puzzles on the CTC Fan Server (discord). I spend way more time setting and theorizing than I do solving, though. Even when I do solve, most of it is testing for GAS (Genuinely Approachable Sudoku), as the setters test each others' puzzles. (I do have a couple of the CTC apps though - Classic and Sandwich.)

If anyone wants to go really in depth with advanced sudoku techniques, I've been doing a youtube series with rangsk (who has also featured on CTC, but has his own channel mostly doing live solving streams): Link (I don't really recommend starting from episode 1 here if you've never solved much sudoku! rangsk has done a "Learn to Love Sudoku" series which explains some simpler techniques.)
mith
mith
Godfather
mith
Godfather
Godfather

Post Post #39 (isolation #7) » Mon Mar 28, 2022 12:29 pm

Post by mith »

In post 35, Nero Cain wrote:
In post 24, mith wrote:This thread is now an AmA (Ask mith Anything). Go.
What was your motivation for making this site?
World domination

At the time I started the site, Mafia had basically taken over the game forum over on the Grey Labyrinth. I had also introduced Mafia to a couple other forums. It seemed like a good time to have a dedicated site and bring some of those people together, though early on the site heavily skewed toward GLers. I felt a bit of responsibility for being the driving force behind a dedicated site, having introduced the game to the GL in the first place. (And probably figured someone else doing it might screw everything up, or stick ads everywhere, or whatever.)

It was also a good way teach myself some things; I probably imagined at the time that I would spend more time making websites than I actually ended up doing. I always had plans for various automation improvements, and more of a "live" gaming experience, that never really went anywhere. 2002 was the year I graduated university, and a time for a lot of big life changes. And I wasn't really ever interested in trying to make money doing this, so it often had to take a backseat to real life.

I have been fortunate to have a ton of positive experiences with online communities. An interest in puzzles and math led to the GL, which played a huge role in my social life and even my decision to move to England. The GL led to mafiascum, and some of the people I would count among my closest friends I met here. Those friends and the various mafiascum meetups I was able to attend led to the board game community, which is where I met a number of local friends and gaming groups; there's a good chance I would have moved elsewhere and never met my wife if not for that.

All that said, did I have any idea about any of that when I started the site? No (well, other than the England stuff, but that's a whole other story); I just spent a ton of time playing Mafia and wanted a dedicated place to do it. ~shrug~
mith
mith
Godfather
mith
Godfather
Godfather

Post Post #76 (isolation #8) » Tue Mar 29, 2022 11:14 am

Post by mith »

In post 56, Fenchurch wrote:Do you still play or have an interest in social deduction games? I recently tried Blood on the Clocktower and I'm a fan.
I will always be a Mafia fan; my lack of playing is less to do with lack of interest and more to do with having a job, small children, and a somewhat obsessive personality. (Making puzzles is a bit safer in that regard - if I go on a run of setting a lot of puzzles, the worst that's going to happen is my brain will be tired at the end of it. Having arguments throughout the course of a day can be stressful.)

Other social deduction games
tend
to annoy me. Either they don't add enough mechanically to distinguish themselves, or they are too chaotic. I do like The Resistance ok (in fact, a random game of it at a BGG.con connected me with a local gaming group).
What’s the story? Do you ever come back to England? Would you like to come to a meet here? :wink:
The story is too personal to tell in full, and probably not that interesting otherwise. I dated a certain Goth Limey Chick (who was part of that original GL Mafia game I ran) for a little over two years, and the breakup was a bit... ambiguous? When it came time to apply for doctoral programs, I mostly applied over there and ended up in Brighton, where she was living at the time. We didn't get back together, and she moved back to Manchester the next year.

I lived in Brighton for 3 years, and just outside Greater London for a little over a year after that, writing up my thesis. In the middle of that last year, I started dating someone back home, and moved back to Texas in part because of that (and in part because it didn't make financial sense to stay over there while the doctorate was dragging out). That relationship lasted almost four years, and toward the end of that I lived in DFW for the first time. Got a job recommendation from an old friend, and I've been working there for just over ten years now.

I haven't been back to England since graduation, but when the kids are older we will definitely make a family trip or two.
mith
mith
Godfather
mith
Godfather
Godfather

Post Post #143 (isolation #9) » Mon Mar 27, 2023 6:26 am

Post by mith »

MafiaScum is 21 today! Congrats on reaching adulthood, kiddo.

Return to “News”