[SETUP] Nightless Vengance

This forum is for discussion of individual Open Setups, including theoretical balance.
Not_Mafia
Not_Mafia
Smash Hit
Not_Mafia
Smash Hit
Smash Hit

[SETUP] Nightless Vengance

Post Post #0 (ISO) » Sat Mar 19, 2022 3:24 am

Post by Not_Mafia »

2x Town Grieving Exploder Lover

2x Town Vengeful

2x Blank Town Vengeful

2x Mafia Grieving Exploder Lover

1x Mafia Vengeful

Town Grieving Exploder LoverWelcome!

You are a
Town Grieving Exploder Lover
  • During the day, you can vote to eliminate a player.
  • You are a lover pair with
    PLAYER
    , you can communicate privately at any time here.
  • If your lover partner dies, you will commit suicide, however, you are able to explode and kill another player whilst doing so.
  • All abilities in the game are compulsive, if you fail to submit, your target will be randomised.
You win when all threats to the Town have been eliminated.

The game thread is here.

Town VengefulWelcome!

You are a
Town Vengeful
  • If you are eliminated, you can kill another player along with you, however, you have a 50% chance of this shot being blank, meaning it will fail.
  • All abilities in the game are compulsive, if you fail to submit, your target will be randomised.
You win when all threats to the Town have been eliminated.

The game thread is here.

Mafia Grieving Exploder LoverWelcome!

You are a
Mafia Grieving Exploder Lover
  • Your partners are
    PLAYER
    Mafia Vengeful
    and
    PLAYER
    , you can communicate at any time here.
  • You are a lover pair with
    PLAYER
    , if your lover partner dies, you will commit suicide, however, you are able to explode and kill another player whilst doing so.
You win when all town-aligned players have been eliminated, or nothing can prevent this from occurring.

The game thread is here.

Mafia VengefulWelcome!

You are a
Mafia Vengeful
  • Your partners are
    PLAYER
    and
    PLAYER
    , you can communicate at any time here.
You win when all town-aligned players have been eliminated, or nothing can prevent this from occuring.

The game thread is here.

NB:
Lover pairs are opposite alignment, only the lover that was NOT directly eliminated, vengekilled or exploded will get to explode. The lover directly killed, vengekilled or exploded will die instantly
Last edited by Not_Mafia on Tue Mar 29, 2022 7:26 am, edited 3 times in total.
Also, what is NM doing? Worst play I’ve ever seen.
I can't remember the last N_M post that wasn't bland, unimaginative and lame. Some shitposters are at least somewhat funny. You are the epitomy of the type of poster that nobody would miss if you were to suddenly disappear. You never add anything of value.
I'm guessing you haven't read the game and probably never will? Why even sign up to play?
Irrelephant11
Irrelephant11
He
Jack of All Trades
Irrelephant11
He
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades
Pronoun: He

Post Post #1 (ISO) » Sat Mar 19, 2022 3:35 am

Post by Irrelephant11 »

Are the lovers same-alignment or opposite-alignment pairs?
Hey all! Excited and nervous to play my first game with you!
Not_Mafia
Not_Mafia
Smash Hit
Not_Mafia
Smash Hit
Smash Hit

Post Post #2 (ISO) » Sat Mar 19, 2022 3:37 am

Post by Not_Mafia »

Same alignment, opposite alignment pairs hadn't occurred to me, but could be interesting. Or even randomised pairs, so the townie don't know their partner's alignment
I can't remember the last N_M post that wasn't bland, unimaginative and lame. Some shitposters are at least somewhat funny. You are the epitomy of the type of poster that nobody would miss if you were to suddenly disappear. You never add anything of value.
I'm guessing you haven't read the game and probably never will? Why even sign up to play?
Jingle
Jingle
For Whom the Bell Trolls
Jingle
For Whom the Bell Trolls
For Whom the Bell Trolls

Post Post #3 (ISO) » Tue Mar 29, 2022 7:16 am

Post by Jingle »

Probably best for the lovers to out D1. If they get ccd then the setup becomes 4v1 w/ vengeful. If they don’t you have two ICs that don’t die before the first mafia elim and get a venge shot on the way out.
This is a Parachute.
Not_Mafia
Not_Mafia
Smash Hit
Not_Mafia
Smash Hit
Smash Hit

Post Post #4 (ISO) » Tue Mar 29, 2022 7:20 am

Post by Not_Mafia »

I think I should just go back to opposite pair lovers, if Mafia Lovers are eliminated before Town lovers, scum just loses
Jingle
Jingle
For Whom the Bell Trolls
Jingle
For Whom the Bell Trolls
For Whom the Bell Trolls

Post Post #5 (ISO) » Tue Mar 29, 2022 7:25 am

Post by Jingle »

I was assuming that was still the case. Still, scum doesn’t necessarily lose if they cc, they just have a ridiculously hard game to play. It’s probably somewhere around 70 town EV without actually doing the math. (The blanks make the math a little complicated)
This is a Parachute.
Not_Mafia
Not_Mafia
Smash Hit
Not_Mafia
Smash Hit
Smash Hit

Post Post #6 (ISO) » Tue Mar 29, 2022 7:36 am

Post by Not_Mafia »

Maybe something like

Roles start as

3x Town Vengeful

3x Blank Town Vengeful

2x Mafia Vengeful

1x Blank Mafia Vengeful

Any 4 players are then randomly selected to make 2 separate pairs of
Grieving Exploder Lovers
, which replaces their original role.
Jingle
Jingle
For Whom the Bell Trolls
Jingle
For Whom the Bell Trolls
For Whom the Bell Trolls

Post Post #7 (ISO) » Tue Mar 29, 2022 8:23 am

Post by Jingle »

Doesn't really affect the strategy being viable/nonviable, but it does make it less reliable for town to assume venges. Still though, the net change there is an increase in swing, not really a balance change.

As it is, I think the setup would be fine for a blitz, marathon, or F2F setting (given same alignment lovers, split alignment lovers seems incredibly unfun for the mafia lovers). I also think the practical balance will probably be less than the theoretical balance. But it does kind of boil down to a kind of white flag situation and I'm not sure how interesting that would be for most people.

If it does end up being too town sided you could implement a mafia chooses lover pairs mechanic and just lean into the lovers outing on D1.

It's worth noting that if town lovers don't out on D1 and survive the scum lovers dying it becomes autowin for town.
This is a Parachute.
Jingle
Jingle
For Whom the Bell Trolls
Jingle
For Whom the Bell Trolls
For Whom the Bell Trolls

Post Post #8 (ISO) » Tue Mar 29, 2022 8:26 am

Post by Jingle »

Also, RAW it's possibly for an everyone wins scenario if you get to Town Lover x2 and Mafia Venge endgame. Town would have to actively decide to go for it so it's moot, but everyone dying simultaneously does lead to a unanimous win.
This is a Parachute.
Not_Mafia
Not_Mafia
Smash Hit
Not_Mafia
Smash Hit
Smash Hit

Post Post #9 (ISO) » Tue Mar 29, 2022 8:51 am

Post by Not_Mafia »

In post 7, Jingle wrote:It's worth noting that if town lovers don't out on D1 and survive the scum lovers dying it becomes autowin for town.
Yeah this is what I was trying to refer to here, though I didn't explain it very well
In post 4, Not_Mafia wrote:I think I should just go back to opposite pair lovers, if Mafia Lovers are eliminated before Town lovers, scum just loses
Not_Mafia
Not_Mafia
Smash Hit
Not_Mafia
Smash Hit
Smash Hit

Post Post #10 (ISO) » Tue Mar 29, 2022 8:53 am

Post by Not_Mafia »

In post 8, Jingle wrote:Also, RAW it's possibly for an everyone wins scenario if you get to Town Lover x2 and Mafia Venge endgame. Town would have to actively decide to go for it so it's moot, but everyone dying simultaneously does lead to a unanimous win.
I'd have rules that scum instantly lose when they are all dead and vice verse mafia win instantly at 1v1 parity, regardless of venges and explosions
Not_Mafia
Not_Mafia
Smash Hit
Not_Mafia
Smash Hit
Smash Hit

Post Post #11 (ISO) » Tue Mar 29, 2022 9:00 am

Post by Not_Mafia »

In post 7, Jingle wrote:Doesn't really affect the strategy being viable/nonviable, but it does make it less reliable for town to assume venges. Still though, the net change there is an increase in swing, not really a balance change.

As it is, I think the setup would be fine for a blitz, marathon, or F2F setting (given same alignment lovers, split alignment lovers seems incredibly unfun for the mafia lovers). I also think the practical balance will probably be less than the theoretical balance. But it does kind of boil down to a kind of white flag situation and I'm not sure how interesting that would be for most people.

If it does end up being too town sided you could implement a mafia chooses lover pairs mechanic and just lean into the lovers outing on D1.
The set-up was pretty much just built on a brainwave I had about the Grieving Lovers Exploder concept, which needs the possibility of a mafia partner to work, I still like the concept, but it might be a non-starter practically. It might work with an announcing cop or similar investigative role rather than an explosion.

I'm still tempted to run it for memes though.

Return to “Open Setup Discussion”