Mini Normal 2275: Roguelikes - Day 3: Endgame!

KittyTacky
KittyTacky
he/him
Mafia Scum
KittyTacky
he/him
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum
Pronoun: he/him

Mini Normal 2275: Roguelikes - Day 3: Endgame!

Post Post #0 (isolation #0) » Wed Jun 22, 2022 11:21 pm

Post by KittyTacky »

Mini Normal 2275: Roguelikes

Rules shamelessly taken from Cat Scratch Fever's Mini Normal 2271

Player List:
  1. Dunnstral
    kennyk

2. BlueBloodedToffee

3. Lowell

4. Loftwing

5. Confidently Wrong

6. MalcolmTucker

7. Gamma Emerald
    humaneatingmonkey
    Shoshin

8. Fredrick A Campbell

9. Cat Scratch Fever

10. Enchant
    FancyPants

11. Irrelephant11

12. Eiralox
bold = confirmed, asterisk = prod, strike = replaced

Alive Players:

Spoiler:
  1. BlueBloodedToffee
  2. Lowell
  3. Confidently Wrong
  4. MalcolmTucker
  5. FancyPants
  6. Irrelephant11
  7. Eiralox

Dead Players:

Spoiler:
  1. Fredrick A Campbell (
    Town 1-Shot Bulletproof
    )
  2. Loftwing (
    Mafia Informed 1-Shot Neighborizer
    )
  3. Cat Scratch Fever (
    Town Backup Compulsive Vigilante
    )
  4. Gamma Emerald (
    Mafia Backup Role Cop
    )
  5. Malakittens (
    Vanilla Townie
    )
  6. Dunnstral (
    Mafia Role Cop
    )

Events and Quicklinks:

Spoiler: Votecount Settings
Living PlayersBlueBloodedToffee
Lowell
Confidently Wrong
MalcolmTucker
Enchant
Irrelephant11
Eiralox

LinksDay 3: Post #1345
Last edited by KittyTacky on Wed Jul 20, 2022 4:41 am, edited 28 times in total.
If u dont elim me today, you are Minecrafters
~Vasex
When i open this game, and starting read, i immediatly close it because i starting strongly consider self last townie alive and others are just jesters.
~Enchant
KittyTacky
KittyTacky
he/him
Mafia Scum
KittyTacky
he/him
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #1 (isolation #1) » Wed Jun 22, 2022 11:22 pm

Post by KittyTacky »

The Basics

Days

- Day 1: 10 days. Days 2+: 7 days.
- Majority Lims.
- If no majority lim has been achieved and the deadline has expired, the day will end without a lim.
- You may vote for a no lim, the threshold for which 50% of players alive.

Nights

- 2 days.
- Fast nights are always an option and must be unanimous.
- If you have a night action but do not submit one, it will be counted as a no action.

Prods

- 36 hour before prod, respond to prod within 24 hours before replacement.
- Please make a game-advancing post in order to reset the prod timer.
- On your third prod, I will also begin searching for a replacement.
- Players who have declared V/LA will still be expected to post every 72 hours.

General rules:

- Follow all site rules.
- You may not talk to each other about this game outside of the threads I have created for this game.
- You may not talk about other ongoing games in this thread. Please read the latest update to the site rules about this.
- Do not use out-of-game influence.
- Replace out by PM'ing me directly. Do not talk about it in the thread or threaten to replace out.
- Do not quote or pretend to quote OR copy from any private communications from this game, including private threads, private messages, and timestamps. Paraphrasing is acceptable. Please read the latest update to the site rules about proving private communications.
- No provable randomness. This includes using dice tags or posting screenshots of random.org results. You may use randomness, but do it outside of any game threads where it cannot be proven (e.g.flip a coin irl).
-
Be nice.

- Always play to your win condition.

Setup:

- The number of town:scum is 10:3.
- All Private Topics will be open at all times.
- All Mafia members have daytalk and are multitasking.
- Sample VT PM:
Spoiler:
Vanilla TownieWelcome! You are a
Vanilla Townie

You have no active abilities.

You win if all threats to the
Town
are eliminated and at least one town-aligned player is alive.

Confirm by replying with your role name and alignment.
~Vasex
When i open this game, and starting read, i immediatly close it because i starting strongly consider self last townie alive and others are just jesters.
~Enchant
KittyTacky
KittyTacky
he/him
Mafia Scum
KittyTacky
he/him
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #2 (isolation #2) » Wed Jun 22, 2022 11:22 pm

Post by KittyTacky »

Sending out role PMs...
~Vasex
~Enchant
KittyTacky
KittyTacky
he/him
Mafia Scum
KittyTacky
he/him
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #3 (isolation #3) » Wed Jun 22, 2022 11:53 pm

Post by KittyTacky »

Role PMs sent, waiting for 10 out of 13 to confirm before starting.

11/10... done!

Writing day 1 post...
Last edited by KittyTacky on Thu Jun 23, 2022 5:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
~Vasex
~Enchant
KittyTacky
KittyTacky
he/him
Mafia Scum
KittyTacky
he/him
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #4 (isolation #4) » Thu Jun 23, 2022 5:14 pm

Post by KittyTacky »

Day 1 begins!

Flavor 1.0Image
What is a Roguelike?

One does not simply ask "What is a Roguelike?". Though the term "roguelike" is still growing in popularity to describe any game with procedural content generation, or punishing difficulty, it is important to note that this game is meant to be themed around traditional roguelikes.

A traditional Roguelike is usually described as a computer game with a strong focus on intricate gameplay and replayability, where the player has an indefinite amount of time in which to make a move, making gameplay comparable more to chess than to reflex-based games like first-person shooters, and where the game provides new content and challenges on every run, using procedural content generation techniques.

There are many other factors one may consider as relevant for traditional roguelikes, including them having an abstract world representation using characters or simple sprites, as opposed to detailed graphics, requiring the player's imagination to come into play (gameplay is more like reading a book than watching a movie). Modern traditional roguelikes often shun this aspect, in favor of accessibility for less hardcore players.

Of course, the best way to understand what roguelikes are is to download and play one.

On the image is the "family tree" of traditional roguelikes. It is by no means complete, and is rather simplified. Don't worry, we will cover many more games than those.

Sources: RogueBasin, Wikipedia

Votecount 1.0
Not Voting
(13): kennyk, BlueBloodedToffee, Lowell, Loftwing, Confidently Wrong, MalcolmTucker, Shoshin, Fredrick A Campbell, Cat Scratch Fever, Malakittens, FancyPants, Irrelephant11, Eiralox
With 13 alive, it takes 7 to eliminate.

Day 1 ends in (expired on 2022-07-04 11:14:00).
The remaining players (MalcolmTucker, Loftwing) who have not confirmed have (expired on 2022-06-26 11:14:00) to confirm.
Last edited by KittyTacky on Thu Jun 23, 2022 11:06 pm, edited 2 times in total.
~Vasex
~Enchant
KittyTacky
KittyTacky
he/him
Mafia Scum
KittyTacky
he/him
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #19 (isolation #5) » Thu Jun 23, 2022 8:08 pm

Post by KittyTacky »

In post 6, Cat Scratch Fever wrote:VOTE: Eiralox

interesting flavor @kitty
Thank you. I fixed the first post's formatting so it doesn't break the forum layout.
Last edited by KittyTacky on Thu Jun 23, 2022 8:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
~Vasex
~Enchant
KittyTacky
KittyTacky
he/him
Mafia Scum
KittyTacky
he/him
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #28 (isolation #6) » Thu Jun 23, 2022 10:34 pm

Post by KittyTacky »

Flavor 1.2Image
Rogue

Rogue was not the first roguelike, but it was the game that truly codified what a roguelike is and spawned many clones that later became the roguelike genre.

Rogue's storyline was very light: the point of the game was to go down all levels of a dungeon, in a world based on Dungeons & Dragons, starting from the top, killing monsters and plundering treasures, until finding the Amulet of Yendor. Then, the player had to climb every level up.

It was one of the first games to use a spatial representation of the world where the action unfolded instead of textual descriptions - the authors sought to combine a traditional "dice" RPG with the original Crowther/Woods interactive fiction game Colossal Cave Adventure. This was possible using a C function library called Curses, and this brought important advancements into the cRPG and in general PC gaming genre.

Contrary to many other computer RPGs of the time, all levels were randomly generated. Rogue was intended to be played on Unix terminals. Thus, the dungeon was displayed in text mode, characters and monsters being represented by letters. Actions were issued by single keystrokes. Rogue defined the very Roguelike genre. Random generation, basic plot, text (or tiled) based display still are the usual features of Roguelikes.

The more direct descendant of Rogue was Hack, although Larn and Moria are closely related to it as well, and every modern roguelike can trace its roots to this game.

Source: RogueBasin

Votecount 1.2
Cat Scratch Fever
(2): Lowell, BlueBloodedToffee
BlueBloodedTofee
(2): Malakittens, Cat Scratch Fever
Lowell
(2): Eiralox, Irrelephant11
kennyk
(1): FancyPants
FancyPants
(1): Loftwing
MalcolmTucker
(1): Shoshin
Malakittens
(1): kennyk
Confidently Wrong
(1): Fredrick A Campbell
Fredrick A Campbell
(1): Confidently Wrong
Not Voting
(1): MalcolmTucker

Last edited by KittyTacky on Sat Jun 25, 2022 4:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
~Vasex
~Enchant
KittyTacky
KittyTacky
he/him
Mafia Scum
KittyTacky
he/him
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #163 (isolation #7) » Sat Jun 25, 2022 4:54 pm

Post by KittyTacky »

Flavor 1.2Image
Rogue

Rogue was not the first roguelike, but it was the game that truly codified what a roguelike is and spawned many clones that later became the roguelike genre.

Rogue's storyline was very light: the point of the game was to go down all levels of a dungeon, in a world based on Dungeons & Dragons, starting from the top, killing monsters and plundering treasures, until finding the Amulet of Yendor. Then, the player had to climb every level up.

It was one of the first games to use a spatial representation of the world where the action unfolded instead of textual descriptions - the authors sought to combine a traditional "dice" RPG with the original Crowther/Woods interactive fiction game Colossal Cave Adventure. This was possible using a C function library called Curses, and this brought important advancements into the cRPG and in general PC gaming genre.

Contrary to many other computer RPGs of the time, all levels were randomly generated. Rogue was intended to be played on Unix terminals. Thus, the dungeon was displayed in text mode, characters and monsters being represented by letters. Actions were issued by single keystrokes. Rogue defined the very Roguelike genre. Random generation, basic plot, text (or tiled) based display still are the usual features of Roguelikes.

The more direct descendant of Rogue was Hack, although Larn and Moria are closely related to it as well, and every modern roguelike can trace its roots to this game.

Votecount 1.2
Cat Scratch Fever
(2): Lowell, BlueBloodedToffee
BlueBloodedTofee
(2): Malakittens, Cat Scratch Fever
Lowell
(2): Eiralox, Irrelephant11
kennyk
(1): FancyPants
FancyPants
(1): Loftwing
MalcolmTucker
Malakittens
Confidently Wrong
Fredrick A Campbell
Not Voting

There was a mod error that resulted in the first VC being overwritten with this one. I'm sorry.
~Vasex
~Enchant
KittyTacky
KittyTacky
he/him
Mafia Scum
KittyTacky
he/him
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #401 (isolation #8) » Wed Jun 29, 2022 4:52 am

Post by KittyTacky »

V/LA for 2 days.
~Vasex
~Enchant
KittyTacky
KittyTacky
he/him
Mafia Scum
KittyTacky
he/him
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #666 (isolation #9) » Thu Jun 30, 2022 3:43 am

Post by KittyTacky »

I am free earlier than expected, posting a proper VC tomorrow. I'm so sorry for the absence!

Shoshin has been prodded.

Eiralox has been warned: do not discuss ongoing games.
~Vasex
~Enchant
KittyTacky
KittyTacky
he/him
Mafia Scum
KittyTacky
he/him
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #765 (isolation #10) » Thu Jun 30, 2022 5:22 pm

Post by KittyTacky »

Flavor 1.3Image
Moria

The Dungeons of Moria (usually just called Moria) is a roguelike inspired by J.R.R. Tolkien's The Lord of the Rings, with the game world is being the Mines of Moria, where the player has to venture deep into the mines to defeat the Balrog. Although inspired by Tolkien, there is little else that the game shares with the books.

Created by Robert Alan Koeneke in 1983, Moria is one of the earliest clones of Rogue and was the first roguelike to have a "Town" level where you buy weapons, armor, spellbooks, potions, and various other items to help you on your difficult quest to defeat the Balrog.

Moria was also the first open-source roguelike, which made it possible for it to be ported to many different computer platforms in a time when that was generally hard to achieve.

Although the game is not as popular as it once was, it is still considered as one of the major roguelikes.

Votecount 1.3
Loftwing
(4): FancyPants, Lowell, MalcolmTucker, Irrelephant11
[E-3]

Eiralox
(3): Confidently Wrong, Loftwing, kennyk
Lowell
(2): Cat Scratch Fever, Eiralox
Malakittens
kennyk
(1): BlueBloodedToffee
BlueBloodedTofee
(1): Malakittens
Confidently Wrong
Not Voting
(0):

I'm sorry for the delay. VCs will be more regular fom now on.
Last edited by KittyTacky on Mon Jul 04, 2022 5:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
~Vasex
~Enchant
KittyTacky
KittyTacky
he/him
Mafia Scum
KittyTacky
he/him
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #899 (isolation #11) » Sat Jul 02, 2022 4:44 pm

Post by KittyTacky »

Flavor 1.4Image
Hack

Hack is a 1984 roguelike video game that introduced shops as gameplay elements and expanded available monsters, items, and spells. It later became the basis for NetHack.

Hack was created in 1982 by Jay Fenlason with the assistance of Kenny Woodland, Mike Thome, and Jonathan Payne, while students at Lincoln-Sudbury Regional High School. A greatly extended version was first released on Usenet in 1984 by Andries Brouwer. Brouwer continued to work on Hack until July 1985. Don Kneller ported the game to MS-DOS and continued development there. Development on all Hack versions ended within a few years. Hack descendant NetHack was released in 1987.

Hack is still available for Unix, and is distributed alongside many modern Unix-like OSes, including Debian, Ubuntu, the BSDs, Fedora, and others. Hack has also been ported to a variety of non-Unix-based platforms. NetHack is available for almost all platforms which run Hack. There is one exception: Hack is available, but NetHack is unavailable, for the Game Boy Advance.

This describes Brouwer's version 1.0.3, which is the most canonical version, being the one installed by package managers on Linux systems.

Being developed by one man means the game is more balanced. Even when the player has discovered all properties of monsters, wands, potions, and has fathomed the role of "luck", the game remains as playable as ever. It may take ages before the player reaches that stage. The player will be helped by rumors: cryptic hints, hidden in fortune cookies.

The object of the game is to delve into a dungeon to retrieve the Amulet of Yendor, and perish with as many game points as possible. The player can start out with a different ability set, such as Wizard or Cave(wo)man. The player confronts various monsters: hobgoblins, leprechauns, acid blobs, bats, centaurs, chameleons, dragons, ghosts, imps, trolls, and has weapons, armor, potions, wands, rings and special items to aid in this, e.g. related to fire there is a scroll, a ring, a monster and a wand, and their interplay is to be discovered.

There is time pressure because the player dies if their food runs out, though food is scattered around the dungeon. There is a limit to how much the player can carry, forcing them to leave valuable items behind. The amount of gold and gems the player possesses when they die increases their score, but holding them comes with a burden of more weight.

The player must enter Hell to recover the Amulet. Entering Hell for the uninitiated just means that "you burn to a crisp". (In NetHack, Hell is renamed.)

The player encounters special rooms such as shops, crypts, and vaults. Other spatial elements in the game are traps and swamps. As the player's experience grows, so do their abilities, score and the need for food.

Source: Wikipedia

Votecount 1.4
Loftwing
(5): FancyPants, Lowell, MalcolmTucker, Irrelephant11, Shoshin
[E-2]

Lowell
(3): Cat Scratch Fever, Fredrick A Campbell, Confidently Wrong
Eiralox
(2): Loftwing, kennyk
BlueBloodedToffee
Fredrick A Campbell
(1): BlueBloodedToffee
Not Voting
(1): Eiralox

~Vasex
~Enchant
KittyTacky
KittyTacky
he/him
Mafia Scum
KittyTacky
he/him
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #1053 (isolation #12) » Sun Jul 03, 2022 4:52 pm

Post by KittyTacky »

There is less than half an hour left before the deadline! I feel like posting a VC at this point would take too long.
~Vasex
~Enchant
KittyTacky
KittyTacky
he/him
Mafia Scum
KittyTacky
he/him
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #1054 (isolation #13) » Sun Jul 03, 2022 5:15 pm

Post by KittyTacky »

Flavor 1.5Image
Death

When you reach zero hit points, you die. Death is also possible when you have nonzero hit points, by several methods of instadeath or delayed instadeath. You lose all the progress you made in that game, and you may have your possessions identified, see your attributes at the time of death (as well as a single post-mortem attribute), see a list of vanquished creatures, see a list of monsters genocided, and see which official conducts you have adhered to.

Dying may also create a bones file.

A particularly spectacular character death, especially of a character that is was well on the way to ascension, is often called a splat. Watching splats (live or on Splat TV) is a part of the fun of social NetHack.

Source: NetHackWiki

Flip 1.5
Fredrick A Campbell
(7): BlueBloodedToffee, Eiralox, Lowell, Confidently Wrong, Irrelephant11, FancyPants, Shoshin
[HAMMER!]

Lowell
(2): Cat Scratch Fever, Loftwing
Loftwing
Eiralox
BlueBloodedToffee
Not Voting

Fredrick A Campbell
has been eliminated!

Fredrick A Campbell's role was
Town 1-Shot Bulletproof
!
[/area]

Night 1 ends in (expired on 2022-07-06 11:17:00).
~Vasex
~Enchant
KittyTacky
KittyTacky
he/him
Mafia Scum
KittyTacky
he/him
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #1055 (isolation #14) » Tue Jul 05, 2022 5:44 pm

Post by KittyTacky »

Looking for a replacement for Shoshin. The deadline is paused until a replacement is found, and will be paused for 24 hours after that (to give them time to catch up).
~Vasex
~Enchant
KittyTacky
KittyTacky
he/him
Mafia Scum
KittyTacky
he/him
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #1056 (isolation #15) » Tue Jul 05, 2022 11:38 pm

Post by KittyTacky »

humaneatingmonkey replaces Shoshin. 24 hours have been added to the deadline.

Night 1 ends in (expired on 2022-07-07 17:38:00).
~Vasex
~Enchant
KittyTacky
KittyTacky
he/him
Mafia Scum
KittyTacky
he/him
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #1057 (isolation #16) » Wed Jul 06, 2022 5:24 pm

Post by KittyTacky »

Gamma Emerald replaces humaneatingmonkey. 18 hours have been added to the deadline to give the replacement time to catch up. I'm so sorry for the delays.

implosion is now my backup mod.

Night 1 ends in (expired on 2022-07-08 11:23:00).
~Vasex
~Enchant
KittyTacky
KittyTacky
he/him
Mafia Scum
KittyTacky
he/him
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #1058 (isolation #17) » Thu Jul 07, 2022 6:04 pm

Post by KittyTacky »

Flavor 2.0Image
NetHack

NetHack is a major roguelike in which the player must fight their way down through the Dungeons of Doom, and then the underworld (Gehennom), retrieve the Amulet of Yendor, fight their way back up to surface, and give the Amulet to their god. It is the most popular of all Hacklike games, and quite possibly the most popular of all roguelike games.

NetHack underwent active development for nearly 15 years. However, it went on a long hiatus after the release of v3.4.3 in December 2003 which proved to be remarkably stable and was enjoyed by the community for almost a decade. NetHack was not much updated during this time leading some independent developers to create forks to continue where the DevTeam left off. Many of these forks are still active.

But in December 2015, the DevTeam released a new version 3.6.0. Although the release itself added little content (besides minor tweaks and incorporating community patches), it indicated the beginning of active development after more than a decade. They also migrated their internal source repository to Git with plans of providing a "current maintenance version" in the future. There are also new plans to migrate their defect-tracking to Bugzilla

Votecount 2.0
Not Voting
(10): kennyk, BlueBloodedToffee, Lowell, Confidently Wrong, MalcolmTucker, Gamma Emerald, Malakittens, FancyPants, Irrelephant11, Eiralox

With 10 alive, it takes 6 to eliminate.

Loftwing
has been killed at night!

Loftwing
's role was
Mafia Informed 1-Shot Neighborizer
!

Cat Scratch Fever

Cat Scratch Fever
's role was
Town Backup Compulsive Vigilante
!

Day 2 ends in (expired on 2022-07-15 12:04:00).[/color][/area]
~Vasex
~Enchant
KittyTacky
KittyTacky
he/him
Mafia Scum
KittyTacky
he/him
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #1270 (isolation #18) » Fri Jul 08, 2022 9:11 pm

Post by KittyTacky »

Flavor 2.1Image
Angband

The player may choose a character from several classes and races. Some of these are Tolkien-inspired, others draw from D&D or basic fantasy archetypes. The player starts in a town with different kinds of shops, a house for storage, a few inhabitants, and the entrance to the dungeon. The player must explore the 100-level dungeon, and become strong enough to finally face Sauron and, after defeating Sauron, Morgoth. After slaying Morgoth, the player may retire from the game as a winner, or continue playing (usually to try to find some rare artifact).

Angband's dungeons are not persistent; every time the player moves up or down stairs, a new dungeon is randomly generated. The dungeons are large and are composed of halls and passages of different shapes. An Angband game requires more patience and time than most roguelike games. Angband is a game of infinite resources -- you have as much time as you like and the game will continue to provide new monsters and items. Nevertheless, most players still find the game challenging. The more advanced players attempt various challenge games, some of which are supported by the game's many options, others of which must be self-monitored. This includes ignoring Angband's lack of an inherent clock and placing a limit on the number of turns one will take to win a game, considering it a loss if not finished in this time.

Angband has many variants -- games based on the original's code -- which have split off in different directions. The first major variant was FAngband, now long dead, but which introduced many ideas later adopted into Angband. Zangband has been one of the most persistently popular variants, but has faded from visibility due to a lack of development. The Zangband legacy survives in the many variants that developed from the Zangband code, rather than directly from Angband. These include ToME, which is developing into a module of a roguelike engine. There is a more complete list of variants available. One other variant worth noting is Oangband, which introduced a substantially changed combat model for *bands, and this Oangband-style combat (or O-combat for short) has found its way into several additional variants.

Angband is the oldest currently-maintained representative of one of two major lines of roguelikes, the other being Hack-like games. While this line begins with Moria, which spawned numerous variants, Angband essentially took up Moria's niche in the gaming ecology. The tendency of Angband variants' names to be suffixed with "band" has resulted in the genre characterized by Angband being referred to as the *bands.

Votecount 2.1
kennyk
(2): Irrelephant11, Lowell
Gamma Emerald
(2): FancyPants, BlueBloodedToffee
Confidently Wrong
Lowell
Not Voting
(5): kennyk, Gamma Emerald, Malakittens, Eiralox

Day 2 ends in (expired on 2022-07-15 12:04:00).
~Vasex
~Enchant
KittyTacky
KittyTacky
he/him
Mafia Scum
KittyTacky
he/him
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #1291 (isolation #19) » Sat Jul 09, 2022 2:23 am

Post by KittyTacky »

In post 1279, Confidently Wrong wrote:I'm just like wondering why the fuck the CSF kill makes sense now if we are in a world where Shosh is scum ?

like Lowell came into this day hardpushing gamma ???

is watcher a thing in normals?

actually what if scum have a role watcher ROFL
Watcher is Normal, and so is Role Watcher.
~Vasex
~Enchant
KittyTacky
KittyTacky
he/him
Mafia Scum
KittyTacky
he/him
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #1344 (isolation #20) » Mon Jul 11, 2022 2:14 am

Post by KittyTacky »

Flavor 2.2Image
Larn

Larn was first released in 1986 by Noah Morgan.

Larn was the first roguelike game to feature multiple dungeons with a sort of surface world (in this case, a town) to connect them. The town, which is persistent, like the dungeon levels (advanced for the time), and features shops to exchange items, schools to improve skills, and a bank to store valuables. The dungeon has branch offices of the town's bank. Larn is also time-limited, achieving the main goal too late counts as losing the game. The player is trying to find an item which can cure his ailing daughter, and for which there is a Nethack-like extended quest. If the time limit is reached, the daughter dies.

A few features which are unique to Larn and make it worth playing:

* Identification is always successful. The scroll/potion type will always be known to the player regardless whether the player received any clue about the usage of the particular item.
* The Scroll of gem perfection enhances the value of carried gems.
* If a character manages to win Larn, his successor will have to pay taxes, which depend on the amount of gold brought to the surface.
* Gold pieces stored in the bank earn interest over time.
* Spells are cast by typing a 3-letter mnemonic. For example, magic missile is MLE.
* The level generation is exceptionally varied: You can find mazes, rows of rooms with doors, round chambers, and open spaces with or without pillars, but still generated at random as in any other roguelike.
* Many other conventional Roguelike features are also given a unique spin (many conventions in the genre were less set in stone), and it can be an interesting change of pace.

Flip 2.2
Gamma Emerald
(6): FancyPants, BlueBloodedToffee, Eiralox, Lowell, Malakittens, MalcolmTucker
[HAMMER!]

kennyk
(1): Irrelephant11
Lowell
Not Voting
(2): kennyk, Gamma Emerald

Gamma Emerald
has been eliminated!

Gamma Emerald's role was
Mafia Backup Role Cop
!

Night 2 ends in (expired on 2022-07-13 20:14:00).[/area]
~Vasex
~Enchant
KittyTacky
KittyTacky
he/him
Mafia Scum
KittyTacky
he/him
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #1345 (isolation #21) » Wed Jul 13, 2022 3:04 am

Post by KittyTacky »

Flavor 3.0Image
ADOM

ADOM (which is short for Ancient Domains of Mystery) was released by Thomas Biskup in 1994. Its main features are its detailed storyline and its undisclosed source code, both of which are unusual in the Roguelike world.

The game is set in the world of Ancardia, an original creation by Thomas Biskup. The objective is to find the source of chaos and disorder that is arising in the world, and stop it if you can. The game is much more plot driven than many other Roguelike games, with many beings in the game assigning you quests, giving you advice and helping you on your way. There are a few compulsory quests, but the majority of quests and tasks in the game are optional. There are also multiple possible endings to the game.

The character starts at the top right corner of the wilderness map, and encounters the village of Terinyo as the first stopping point (if he follows the road). One can get food, quests and shelter here before proceeding to the dungeons of the game.

ADOM is classed as a 'hack game rather than a 'band game, mainly due to the semi-persistent levels present in most of the dungeons. When the player enters a new level, the layout for that level is then used for the rest of the game. If the player leaves a level, and then returns, he/she will find the level exactly as it was left. There is one exception to this - the Infinite Dungeon, which generates a new level every time stairs are used. However, many of the more interesting game features, such as altars, vaults and shops are never generated in the Infinite Dungeon.

All dungeon levels are either the same size as the screen or smaller, so no scrolling is required.

The main dungeon of the game is the Caverns of Chaos, a 50-level deep dungeon, with a few key special levels located there, including the main town of the game - Dwarftown. There are several smaller dungeons too, most of them being part of a quest in some way.

ADOM has ten playable races, and twenty playable classes. Any combination of the two is possible, though some combinations are not recommended.

Races - Humans, Trolls, High Elves, Gray Elves, Dark Elves, Dwarves, Gnomes, Hurthlings, Orcs, Mist Elves, Ratlings and Drakelings.

Classes - Fighter, Paladin, Ranger, Thief, Assassin, Wizard, Priest, Bard, Monk, Healer, Weaponsmith, Archer, Merchant, Farmer, Mindcrafter, Barbarian, Druid, Necromancer, Elementalist, Beastfighter, Chaos Knight, Duelist.

All classes are able to use magic and all classes are able to use any item they should choose, but will receive appropriate bonuses/penalties to their abilities. Wizards and Priests will obviously learn magic far more easily than the fighting classes. However, the fighting classes will gain weapon skills far more easily. Races and classes may also have their own special abilities.

In the most recent version, players receive one or more talents at birth (depending on race, class, horoscope, mana and luck), and have to choose a further talent every three levels. These talents give pluses to stats, skills and grant other abilities.

ADOM features a large number of spells ranging from useful Light to mighty Wish. Spells can belong to arcane or clerical schools or both. Casters have a harder time learning and improving the effectiveness of magic from the other school.

ADOM treats most ball spells in a unique way. Each ball is centered on the player character but does not harm him.

During course of game character gets more and more corrupted until final challenge is defeated. Corruption builds up slowly until it is strong enough to manifest in body. Few of effects are beneficial, most are mixed blessing and some are outright harmful. When a PC gets extremely corrupted he turns into a writhing mass of primal chaos leaving his former existence behind to become a lowly minion of Chaos.

Other notable features:
* Separated weapon skills for different kinds of weapons with diverse gains
* Disease as long-term condition
* Deities

Votecount 3.0
Not Voting
(8): kennyk, BlueBloodedToffee, Lowell, Confidently Wrong, MalcolmTucker, FancyPants, Irrelephant11, Eiralox

With 8 alive, it takes 5 to eliminate.

Malakittens

Malakittens
' role was
Vanilla Townie
!

Day 3 ends in (expired on 2022-07-20 21:02:00).[/color][/area]
~Vasex
~Enchant
KittyTacky
KittyTacky
he/him
Mafia Scum
KittyTacky
he/him
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #1357 (isolation #22) » Wed Jul 13, 2022 4:59 am

Post by KittyTacky »

In post 1355, FancyPants wrote:
In post 1352, Irrelephant11 wrote:Lol. Wish you had lied just to make scum squirm tbh. Oh well
That would have been good :lol: , I'm really not a gambit guy though.

I'm still fairly sure it isn't: Irre/Eira/Lowell/Malcom

Mostly based on Loftwing interactions.

I need to do an ISO of BBT and Kenny at the very least before I can settle on a
lynch
for today.
The word "lynch" is not allowed to be used in games nowadays, due to its nasty racial connotations. Please use any other word for it in the future.
~Vasex
~Enchant
KittyTacky
KittyTacky
he/him
Mafia Scum
KittyTacky
he/him
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #1474 (isolation #23) » Wed Jul 13, 2022 11:23 pm

Post by KittyTacky »

I realized kennyk is long overdue for a prod.

kennyk has been prodded.
~Vasex
~Enchant
KittyTacky
KittyTacky
he/him
Mafia Scum
KittyTacky
he/him
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #1492 (isolation #24) » Fri Jul 15, 2022 12:59 am

Post by KittyTacky »

In post 1479, Confidently Wrong wrote:fack it doesnt work

kitty can you add that to the OP at the bottom tho lol so i can get my own votecounts :(

or some1 lend me their program
I didn't do a VC because last time I checked the thread, I didn't notice any votes. Sorry. I will do that though.

FancyPants requested replacement. Also, I don't think you're allowed to talk about replacing out.

kennyk didn't pick up the prod and is being replaced.

VC coming soon.
~Vasex
~Enchant
KittyTacky
KittyTacky
he/him
Mafia Scum
KittyTacky
he/him
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #1493 (isolation #25) » Fri Jul 15, 2022 1:11 am

Post by KittyTacky »

Flavor 3.1Image
Dungeon Crawl Stone Soup

Dungeon Crawl Stone Soup is a variant of Linley's Dungeon Crawl [an unremarkable roguelike from the 90s]. It is developed openly and welcomes participation from the community.

As in the original Dungeon Crawl, players are tasked with finding runes to enter the Realm of Zot at the bottom of the dungeon, before returning to the surface with the Orb of Zot. For added difficulty, players can attempt to collect all 15 runes scattered throughout the dungeon.

As outlined in DCSS's design philosophy, the developers strive to create a balanced, tactical game that limits grinding and reliance on out-of-game sources of information in order to progress. The resulting game is more friendly to new players while still requiring a good deal of practice and skill to win.

Features:
* ASCII and tileset versions
* Mouse support
* Online servers where players can watch other games or compete on leaderboards
* Tutorial and in-game hints system
* Wide range of skills, species, backgrounds, and religions offer several play styles
* Optional dungeon branches increase the difficulty for seasoned players

Votecount 3.1
kennyk
(2): Irrelephant11, Lowell
Confidently Wrong
Not Voting
(5): kennyk, BlueBloodedToffee, Confidently Wrong, MalcolmTucker, FancyPants

Day 3 ends in (expired on 2022-07-20 21:02:00).
~Vasex
~Enchant
KittyTacky
KittyTacky
he/him
Mafia Scum
KittyTacky
he/him
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #1584 (isolation #26) » Sat Jul 16, 2022 3:06 am

Post by KittyTacky »

Dunnstral replaces kennyk.

Enchant replaces FancyPants.

VC coming soon.
~Vasex
~Enchant
KittyTacky
KittyTacky
he/him
Mafia Scum
KittyTacky
he/him
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #1585 (isolation #27) » Sat Jul 16, 2022 3:20 am

Post by KittyTacky »

Flavor 3.2Image
Dwarf Fortress

Dwarf Fortress is a computer game for Windows, Mac, and Linux that combines certain aspects of roguelike games and strategy games. The game is currently in the alpha stage of development, but more versions are continually being added on. The current version is fully playable.

Dwarf Fortress is a successor to Slaves to Armok: God of Blood by Bay 12 Games. The earlier game was a more traditional "hack and slash" roleplaying game, with a 3D graphical interface. Dwarf Fortress discarded Armok's 3D graphics for a tileset based on ASCII characters and expanded play to incorporate an economic and strategy mode, in addition to more conventional roguelike roleplay.

Development on Dwarf Fortress started in October 2002, and the first version was released in August 2006. The game has garnered substantial attention for a freeware release still in the alpha stage, with a review in the December 2006 issue of PC Gamer UK, an article on popular website Eurogamer, and multiple extremely long threads in the Something Awful and Penny Arcade internet forums. Development is active, with 20 releases in the first two months, and a small but robust testing community providing feedback.

Prior to play, a world must be generated: each world is uniquely constructed, and any events which take place during play will alter the world in subsequent games. World creation in Dwarf Fortress is quite elaborate: terrain is fractally-generated, then erosion is simulated, and wildlife, towns, and other sites are placed. Each site also has a history specific to it. This world-creation process can take anywhere from seconds to days, greatly dependent on the size and age of the world you want.

The game offers two modes of play: "Dwarf Fortress" mode, in which the player builds a dwarven mountain settlement, and "Adventurer" mode, in which the player controls an individual in typical roguelike manner. Only one of the two modes can be actively played in a given game world, although fortresses built in prior games can be visited by adventurers in subsequent games.

Though not necessarily a gameplay mode, there is also "Legends" mode. This mode allows you to explore the history of your world, inspecting specific individuals, sites, and civilizations. You can even trace the impact of your fortresses and adventurers. It also has export options so that legends can be viewed in a more user-friendly browser.

Votecount 3.2
Dunnstral
(4): Irrelephant11, Lowell, BlueBloodedToffee, Eiralox
[E-1]

Confidently Wrong
Not Voting
(3): Dunnstral, MalcolmTucker, Enchant

~Vasex
~Enchant
KittyTacky
KittyTacky
he/him
Mafia Scum
KittyTacky
he/him
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #1776 (isolation #28) » Sun Jul 17, 2022 4:02 am

Post by KittyTacky »

Flavor 3.3Image
Tales of Maj'Eyal

Tales of Maj’Eyal (ToME) is a free, open source roguelike RPG, featuring tactical turn-based combat and advanced character building. Play as one of many unique races and classes in the lore-filled world of Eyal, exploring random dungeons, facing challenging battles, and developing characters with your own tailored mix of abilities and powers. With a modern graphical and customisable interface, intuitive mouse control, streamlined mechanics and deep, challenging combat, Tales of Maj’Eyal offers engaging roguelike gameplay for the 21st century.

The continent of Maj’Eyal lives in a relative peace. After millennia of war the orcs are extinct, the advanced races have allied together, and the evils of magic have been repressed. But there are still untamed forests, cursed lands, marauding bandits, sealed dungeons of undead, and whispers spread of hidden cults of mages. Some even say the orcs are not all dead, and muster their strength in dark places.

You are an adventurer, seeking your fortune in the open world, investigating ruins and mysteries in search of riches and powers. Explore a continent still scarred by the terrible Spellblaze from ages past, teeming with wild beasts, monsters, trolls and giants. Delve through dark dungeons infested by armies of undead, demonic monstrosities and hideous horrors. Uncover world changing secrets, from relics of the ancient and all-powerful Sher’Tul race to veiled cities of magic and concealed psionic beings. Fight with skill and care against undying necromancers, towering dragons, primeval forces, arcane demons and world-threatening powers.

Votecount 3.3
Dunnstral
(1): Lowell
Lowell
Confidently Wrong

Not Voting
(5): MalcolmTucker, Dunnstral, Irrelephant11, BlueBloodedToffee, Enchant

Last edited by KittyTacky on Sun Jul 17, 2022 6:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
~Vasex
~Enchant
KittyTacky
KittyTacky
he/him
Mafia Scum
KittyTacky
he/him
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #1865 (isolation #29) » Sun Jul 17, 2022 6:46 pm

Post by KittyTacky »

In post 1780, Eiralox wrote:
In post 1482, Lowell wrote:VOTE: kenny. It's him or CW and I'm tired of arguing with CW.

@KittyTacky I think Lowell is voting for Dunnstral?
Fixed.
~Vasex
~Enchant
KittyTacky
KittyTacky
he/him
Mafia Scum
KittyTacky
he/him
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #2003 (isolation #30) » Mon Jul 18, 2022 5:32 pm

Post by KittyTacky »

Flavor 3.4Image
UnNetHack

UnNetHack 5 is a variant of NetHack 3.4.3, maintained by Patric Mueller and others.

The main intent of this fork is to put more randomness, challenges, and fun into NetHack.

It features more levels, several UI improvements designed to reduce tedium, and many gameplay-related changes. Since 3.6.1 it also bundles a graphical tiles UI for Windows. The 5.1.0 version's default Windows tiles are not that good but it is bundled with DawnHack tiles.

The latest development source code is available from the Git repository, and there are several public servers where it can be played online.

Votecount 3.4
Confidently Wrong
(3): Eiralox, MalcolmTucker, BlueBloodedToffee
[E-2]

BlueBloodedToffee
(2): Irrelephant11, Confidently Wrong
Dunnstral

Not Voting
(2): Enchant, Dunnstral

~Vasex
~Enchant
KittyTacky
KittyTacky
he/him
Mafia Scum
KittyTacky
he/him
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #2211 (isolation #31) » Wed Jul 20, 2022 4:34 am

Post by KittyTacky »

Flavor 3.5Image
Ascension

Ascension is how you win the game. It is the result of #offering the Amulet of Yendor to your god while standing on their high altar in the Astral Plane.

The end of game message given upon ascension is:

You offer the Amulet of Yendor to [your god]...
An invisible choir sings, and you are bathed in radiance...
The voice of [your god] [booms out/booms/thunders/rings out]: "Mortal, thou hast done well!"
"In return to thy service, I grant thee the gift of Immortality!"
You ascend to the status of Demigod[dess]...

Ascending is difficult. There are players who claim to have played for decades without ascending, although their number has been reduced in recent years as the Internet has provided easy access to spoilers.

Endgame 3.5
Dunnstral
(5): Confidently Wrong, Irrelephant11, BlueBloodedToffee, Enchant, Eiralox
[HAMMER!]

Confidently Wrong
(2): MalcolmTucker, Dunnstral
Enchant

Not Voting
(0):
None.

Dunnstral
has been eliminated!

Dunnstral's role was
Mafia Role Cop
!

Day 3 has ended, along with the game.[/color][/area]

The
Town
has ascended to demigodhood! Final role list:

Roles
BlueBloodedToffee - Town Compulsive Vigilante
Lowell - Vanilla Townie
Confidently Wrong - Vanilla Townie
MalcolmTucker - Town Novice Traffic Analyst
Fredrick A Campbell - Town 1-Shot Bulletproof
Cat Scratch Fever - Town Backup Compulsive Vigilante

Malakittens - Vanilla Townie

FancyPants - Town 3-Shot Tracker
Irrelephant11 - Vanilla Townie
Eiralox - Vanilla Townie

Dunnstral - Mafia Role Cop
Gamma Emerald - Mafia Backup Role Cop
Loftwing - Mafia Informed 1-Shot Neighborizer

Thanks for playing! The Mafia and Purgatory threads will be released in (expired on 2022-07-22 22:33:00), with redactions allowed to be requested during that time.
Last edited by KittyTacky on Wed Jul 20, 2022 4:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
~Vasex
~Enchant
KittyTacky
KittyTacky
he/him
Mafia Scum
KittyTacky
he/him
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #2212 (isolation #32) » Wed Jul 20, 2022 4:37 am

Post by KittyTacky »

My thoughts: Mafia got creamed because vig and tracker were both skilled and lucky. I shouldn't have made the setup so swingy. Oh well. It was my first game. Feedback?
~Vasex
~Enchant
KittyTacky
KittyTacky
he/him
Mafia Scum
KittyTacky
he/him
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #2256 (isolation #33) » Wed Jul 20, 2022 5:22 pm

Post by KittyTacky »

In post 2225, Confidently Wrong wrote:What were mafia informed of?
"There is a Town Novice Traffic Analyst". They decided to try to use the neighborizer to trick the tracker instead, which failed. This game went off the rails, man.
~Vasex
~Enchant
KittyTacky
KittyTacky
he/him
Mafia Scum
KittyTacky
he/him
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #2257 (isolation #34) » Wed Jul 20, 2022 5:26 pm

Post by KittyTacky »

In post 2237, BlueBloodedToffee wrote:I did shoot Mala yeah, seemed the best way to sort the slot.

Guessing scum no killed because Kenny flaked?
Yeah I should have noticed he flaked earlier.
~Vasex
~Enchant
KittyTacky
KittyTacky
he/him
Mafia Scum
KittyTacky
he/him
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #2258 (isolation #35) » Wed Jul 20, 2022 5:27 pm

Post by KittyTacky »

In post 2245, DkKoba wrote:actually townsided, the traffic analyst exists.

rolecop tho is extremly strong esp with a backup.
I tried to make a high-power setup, TBH. The review said it's balanced.
~Vasex
~Enchant
KittyTacky
KittyTacky
he/him
Mafia Scum
KittyTacky
he/him
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #2262 (isolation #36) » Sun Jul 24, 2022 10:09 pm

Post by KittyTacky »

~Vasex
~Enchant

Return to “Completed Mini Normal Games”