Site meta or rule regarding flips

This forum is for discussion related to the game.
luncheon
luncheon
Goon
luncheon
Goon
Goon

Site meta or rule regarding flips

Post Post #0 (ISO) » Wed Sep 07, 2022 3:29 am

Post by luncheon »

Sorry if this has been discussed before but I’m assuming there’s no reference on the wiki so I thought I might ask. Are mods required to answer questions about the details of each role that flips (i.e modifications to the role, or which-variant questions)?

Or would that be considered bastard modding not to do so when asked about such details?
Ydrasse
Ydrasse
She
*twirls hair*
Ydrasse
She
*twirls hair*
*twirls hair*
Pronoun: She

Post Post #1 (ISO) » Wed Sep 07, 2022 3:34 am

Post by Ydrasse »

pretty sure it’s at mod discretion, what they reveal or don’t reveal to players. from experience most of the time
mods will explain something if it’s like asking for clarity on how something would process/etc but not anything deeper than like “if this happened would this happened”.
☠︎︎
one flesh, one end.
luncheon
luncheon
Goon
luncheon
Goon
Goon

Post Post #2 (ISO) » Wed Sep 07, 2022 4:29 am

Post by luncheon »

I see. I was thinking more along the lines of a question like “How does X role (in this game) work” or “What does X role (in this game) do”? Would those tend to be answered?

I’m asking because there was a situation where a traitor flipped and one of the mafia members simulated having asked the mod and been answered that traitor knew who scum were and scum didn’t know who the traitor was, which turned out to be a scum slip as the mod chose not to give out that information to other players who asked the same question.
Gamma Emerald
Gamma Emerald
Any
Survivor
Gamma Emerald
Any
Survivor
Survivor
Pronoun: Any

Post Post #3 (ISO) » Wed Sep 07, 2022 6:04 am

Post by Gamma Emerald »

Yeah that’s a flat-out mod error
Either you give the information freely there or not at all
<Embrace The Void>

“A flipped coin doesn't always land heads or tails. Sometimes it may never land at all...”
Something_Smart
Something_Smart
He/him
Somewhat_Balanced
Something_Smart
He/him
Somewhat_Balanced
Somewhat_Balanced
Pronoun: He/him

Post Post #4 (ISO) » Wed Sep 07, 2022 6:53 am

Post by Something_Smart »

If it's a theme game, that's not a mod error, as long as it was pre-planned. (Specifically, if the mafia knew they had a traitor who knew them from the beginning of the game, then the information asymmetry makes perfect sense.)

If the mafia weren't given any info about the traitor at the start and the mod didn't have a specific rule in place that informed the mafia when the traitor died, then they did commit a mod error by telling the mafia the traitor knew their identity-- there was no game mechanic that permitted them to share that.

The mafia member should have asked the mod "what would you tell a townie if they asked X". It's always smart to do this before you fake having asked a question you already know the answer to. That said, it's good modding practice to answer questions unless you have a good reason not to, to prevent exactly this kind of thing.

Regarding the question in the OP, the answer is yes in opens and normals, and mod discretion in themes, but they have to be consistent.
It's always the same. When you fire that first shot, no matter how right you feel, you have no idea who's going to die. You don't know whose children are going to scream and burn. How many hearts will be broken. How many lives shattered. How much blood will spill, until everybody does what they're always going to have to do from the very beginning... SIT DOWN AND TALK!

Return to “Mafia Discussion”