Why/when do you replace into games?

This forum is for discussion related to the game.
Ydrasse
Ydrasse
She
*twirls hair*
Ydrasse
She
*twirls hair*
*twirls hair*
Pronoun: She

Why/when do you replace into games?

Post Post #0 (ISO) » Fri Oct 22, 2021 2:00 pm

Post by Ydrasse »

I don’t think this thread’s topic has been discussed (in a thread I can find), so!

What influences you to replace in?
Do you read the slot you’re taking or go in blind?
Do you read the game in full or do you go from where you join? How do you orient yourself?
Is there a type of game you’d replace into (normals, themes, etc) if you had the option and why?

Basically, replacing into stuff is appreciated but I’m curious about the motivations, as well as how to be an impactful rep in!
☠︎︎
one flesh, one end.
Micc
Micc
He/Him
Jack of All Trades
Micc
He/Him
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades
Pronoun: He/Him

Post Post #1 (ISO) » Fri Oct 22, 2021 4:07 pm

Post by Micc »

A large portion of the games I’ve played are ones I’ve replaced into. I find it so much easier to engage with a game that is already ongoing rather than starting from the beginning. Especially true when the game state is 5 or less players, anything more is just me feeling completely lost and unnatural inserting myself into the conversation.

I don’t read the slot before replacing in, just take a quick look at the last page or so and current votecount. Mostly I just want to know what I’d be getting into before taking the slot. How much time before deadline, how much pressure on my slot, how much scum left, how mean are people being to each other can all impact whether I’m willing to commit to joint the game.

I’ve considered writing a theory article on how to replace into a game, and I might still some day. I don’t read the game front to back - at least not right away. When I replace in, the first thing I’m reading is the build up of the current leading wagon. I want to understand where the votes came from and whether they make sense or not. I’ll keep reading back for additional context and asking questions as needed. My goal is to identify the parts of the game that are important and understand those first. At some point after I feel comfortably engaged with the game I will go through (not necessarily even read) everything front to back. that process is more purposed at making sure I’m grasping the timeline correctly and not missing anything opposed to catching up.

Game type has no impact for me. Looking at the game tells me if it’s appealing or not much more than assuming based on game type.
"To hide a tree, use a forest" -Ninja Boy Hideo
Infinity 324
Infinity 324
they (pl.)
Survivor
Infinity 324
they (pl.)
Survivor
Survivor
Pronoun: they (pl.)

Post Post #2 (ISO) » Fri Oct 22, 2021 4:21 pm

Post by Infinity 324 »

i generally only replace into games that i'm already spectating or that i really wanted to play but didn't get up a chance to sign up for so i got on the replacement list.

i think it would be good to replace in more, but the prospect of reading however many pages is to daunting.
Show
new GTKAS

<3 you are valid

plural system, we may or may not sign
Gamma Emerald
Gamma Emerald
Any
Survivor
Gamma Emerald
Any
Survivor
Survivor
Pronoun: Any

Post Post #3 (ISO) » Fri Oct 22, 2021 4:47 pm

Post by Gamma Emerald »

In post 0, Ydrasse wrote:What influences you to replace in?
Do you read the game in full or do you go from where you join? How do you orient yourself?
Is there a type of game you’d replace into (normals, themes, etc) if you had the option and why?
A great many, but often I see something of note while spectating and want in
I tend to at least check I’m not replacing into a DOA slot
I frequently read in full
I’m not really choosy about which games I’d rep into but themes probably are my most preferred
<Embrace The Void>

“A flipped coin doesn't always land heads or tails. Sometimes it may never land at all...”
Ythan
Ythan
She
Welcome to the Haystack
Ythan
She
Welcome to the Haystack
Welcome to the Haystack

Post Post #4 (ISO) » Fri Oct 22, 2021 4:48 pm

Post by Ythan »

I replace into games because games need replacements. I tried saying more but I kept getting bogged down so have that.

Blind.

I try to read the game in full though once I'm there.

Any game except maybe a theme I'm particularly disinterested in.
Ythan
Ythan
She
Welcome to the Haystack
Ythan
She
Welcome to the Haystack
Welcome to the Haystack

Post Post #5 (ISO) » Fri Oct 22, 2021 4:49 pm

Post by Ythan »

Oh getting to skip rvs is cool.
T3
T3
He/him
Survivor
T3
He/him
Survivor
Survivor
Pronoun: He/him

Post Post #6 (ISO) » Sat Oct 23, 2021 6:31 am

Post by T3 »

1. i like the flavor
2. i previously skimmed over the thread and was 100% confident in multiple reads (i really wanted to rep into radio buzz because of this :( )
fferyllt
fferyllt
Titan of Trajectory
fferyllt
Titan of Trajectory
Titan of Trajectory

Post Post #7 (ISO) » Sat Oct 23, 2021 7:35 am

Post by fferyllt »

In post 0, Ydrasse wrote:I don’t think this thread’s topic has been discussed (in a thread I can find), so!

What influences you to replace in?
The moderator, the player list, the flavor, and more times than not, having enough time to play another game. Also, to pay it back to the site for all the players who've replaced into my games (both modded and played). Replacements make forum mafia possible.
Sometimes read, sometimes blind. Not really a rhyme or reason to read vs blind.
Depends on the thread length. If it's a really long thread, I go from where I join and read isos as I can. I prefer to read the game in full, though.
I mostly replace into Newbies and Themes.
Basically, replacing into stuff is appreciated but I’m curious about the motivations, as well as how to be an impactful rep in!
My motivation is to have fun and to help mods out.
Amid the pressure of great events, a general principle gives no help.

Idic
Jake The Wolfie
Jake The Wolfie
he/they
Mafia Scum
Jake The Wolfie
he/they
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum
Pronoun: he/they

Post Post #8 (ISO) » Sat Oct 23, 2021 8:12 am

Post by Jake The Wolfie »

I generally stay away from personalized games, such as uPicks and such.

I always replace into games with Not_mafia to get the nae nae wagon on him

I prefer to just start games fresh, so that I'm not caught offguard by questions that the previous slot could have answered.
Not_Mafia
Not_Mafia
Smash Hit
Not_Mafia
Smash Hit
Smash Hit

Post Post #9 (ISO) » Sat Oct 23, 2021 8:31 am

Post by Not_Mafia »

When I get the urge to shitpost but don't want to wait for a game to fill
Also, what is NM doing? Worst play I’ve ever seen.
I can't remember the last N_M post that wasn't bland, unimaginative and lame. Some shitposters are at least somewhat funny. You are the epitomy of the type of poster that nobody would miss if you were to suddenly disappear. You never add anything of value.
I'm guessing you haven't read the game and probably never will? Why even sign up to play?
fferyllt
fferyllt
Titan of Trajectory
fferyllt
Titan of Trajectory
Titan of Trajectory

Post Post #10 (ISO) » Sat Oct 23, 2021 9:17 am

Post by fferyllt »

In post 8, Jake The Wolfie wrote:I generally stay away from personalized games, such as uPicks and such.
I'm the opposite. I've replaced into several uPicks.
Amid the pressure of great events, a general principle gives no help.

Idic
Morning Tweet
Morning Tweet
She
Team Mafia Winner
Team Mafia Winner
Morning Tweet
She
Team Mafia Winner
Team Mafia Winner
Team Mafia Winner
Team Mafia Winner

Post Post #11 (ISO) » Sat Oct 23, 2021 11:56 am

Post by Morning Tweet »

Games are way more fun with existing content! I really don't like the beginning portion of mafia, much better to skip to the part where there's already something to figure out! The later into a game and the less players alive, the more likely I am to be interested in replacing for it.

Just like ffery it's pretty much completely random for me whether or not I read anything before going in.

i'll usually read over the entire game if i have the time, it's pretty major to have stuff that happened earlier in the game and was forgotten get brought up again
Gypyx
Gypyx
She/Her
Virtute Ex Machina
Gypyx
She/Her
Virtute Ex Machina
Virtute Ex Machina
Pronoun: She/Her

Post Post #12 (ISO) » Sun Oct 24, 2021 2:30 am

Post by Gypyx »

i usually rep into games if i wanna play but nothing in queue is of much interest to me
White Flag : Carebear Edition is in signups ! (4/13) sign up if you want a low pressure, high friendliness game !

bottom text
Wisdom
Wisdom
Of the One
Wisdom
Of the One
Of the One

Post Post #13 (ISO) » Fri Oct 29, 2021 3:52 am

Post by Wisdom »

I replace into games when I need more games to play but don't find something interesting in the queue or don't want to wait until what I've signed up for fills (especially true if I'm coming from a break and I am not in any games)

I will replace if the setup/theme/mechanic and/or playerlist is to my liking

I will read the entire game
House
House
Survivor
House
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #14 (ISO) » Fri Oct 29, 2021 6:33 am

Post by House »

I replace in to help out a mod in need.

Given my inherent limitations (I have neither the patience nor the confidence to mod from mobile), it's a way I can give back to the community.

Whether I read the game or not upon replace in depends on circumstances (irl as well as in game), but I prefer not to do more than targeted ISO diving unless there is a compelling reason.
The apology that resulted in my indefinite ban:

https://tinyimg.io/i/ZX5Yjhw.png
Boonskiies
Boonskiies
That's Not All, Folks!
Boonskiies
That's Not All, Folks!
That's Not All, Folks!

Post Post #15 (ISO) » Wed Nov 10, 2021 1:30 am

Post by Boonskiies »

when I feel like playing a game :shrug:
"Let it be known that almost everything Boonskiies said is either hilarious or annoying." - Shinobi

Yes, I'm
Flavor Leaf
. That's my main; I just mod on
Boonskiies
Nancy Drew 39
Nancy Drew 39
She/Her
Not that Inno Scent
Nancy Drew 39
She/Her
Not that Inno Scent
Not that Inno Scent
Pronoun: She/Her

Post Post #16 (ISO) » Mon Oct 17, 2022 2:36 am

Post by Nancy Drew 39 »

In post 2, Infinity 324 wrote:i generally only replace into games that i'm already spectating or that i really wanted to play but didn't get up a chance to sign up for so i got on the replacement list.

i think it would be good to replace in more, but the prospect of reading however many pages is to daunting.
+1

This for me. I’m way more picky when it comes to replacing into games as opposed to joining them upfront. Also what T3 said. If I think I have a pretty good handle on the current gamestate. Another very important factor is the slot. I absolutely hate replacing into a doomed scumslot probably more than anything, so I usually try to determine if that slot is likely town usually.
We just need to tread carefully because if you slip up around her as scum she notices and will tear your spine out and slap you to death with it. (I'm slightly scared of Nancy)
~the worst
Nancy is pretty heavenly ngl
~CheekyTeeky
Nancy-scum feels like a hot knife slicing through butter. Nancy-town feels like a magnifying glass in the sun glaring down at an insect.
~Taly
Zachrulez
Zachrulez
Jack of All Trades
Zachrulez
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #17 (ISO) » Sun Oct 23, 2022 7:10 pm

Post by Zachrulez »

Games tend to need replacements a lot and can be difficult to find so it's really just a great way to pay it forward when you're playing.

Return to “Mafia Discussion”