Survivor Meet: 06/15/23-06/20/23 (18/20 player slots)

For large social games such as Survivor where the primary mechanic is social interaction.
DeasVail
DeasVail
he/him
Survivor
DeasVail
he/him
Survivor
Survivor
Pronoun: he/him

Post Post #13 (isolation #0) » Tue Aug 30, 2022 8:17 pm

Post by DeasVail »

Pretty high chance that I would be in. I probably would be pretty flexible in regards to location and time.
DeasVail
DeasVail
he/him
Survivor
DeasVail
he/him
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #46 (isolation #1) » Fri Sep 16, 2022 1:11 pm

Post by DeasVail »

If more players are needed/welcome and/or to help with costs, I have a likely interested +1 depending on timing
DeasVail
DeasVail
he/him
Survivor
DeasVail
he/him
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #51 (isolation #2) » Sun Oct 30, 2022 5:55 pm

Post by DeasVail »

In post 49, Mist7676 wrote:Not too late at all!!

Again proposing these holidays:

Feb 17th - Feb 20th (Friday - Monday into President's Day/Washington's Birthday)
May 26th - May 29th (Friday - Monday into Memorial Day)
June 16th - June 19th (Friday - Monday into Juneteenth)

Anyone have any preference? I think the reservation could start on Thursday in order to prepare/get things ready, allow travel time and the actual game would be Fri/Sat/Sun and Monday could be for travel and/or wrapping up?
That sounds pretty good.

May would work best for me
DeasVail
DeasVail
he/him
Survivor
DeasVail
he/him
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #55 (isolation #3) » Mon Oct 31, 2022 5:50 pm

Post by DeasVail »

Maybe is better than no!
DeasVail
DeasVail
he/him
Survivor
DeasVail
he/him
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #165 (isolation #4) » Wed May 17, 2023 10:56 am

Post by DeasVail »

one more one more
DeasVail
DeasVail
he/him
Survivor
DeasVail
he/him
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #195 (isolation #5) » Wed Jun 21, 2023 11:24 am

Post by DeasVail »

I am back in Australia (which is close enough to home!), and not really any less sleep-deprived, but I am still taken by what a lovely experience this meet was. Whether I was meeting you for the first time or catching up again after several years, I felt like I got to know each of you at least a bit better than I did before and that was just so special for me. I have been inspired by Ariel in Survivormeet 3 to write just a few words about each of you, because you’re all fantastic and I thought that would be nice.

Spoiler: Fenrir and Mist
I think it really needs to be said what a huge task it was taking on the hosting of this game with such a limited production team. You both handled it with such enthusiasm and grace that it inspired me to think about possibly doing similar myself one day. Fenrir, your tribal council questions were always on-point and Mist, your energy always lit up the room! I admired how both of you stayed positive through unexpected delays and complications and ultimately made it a great game for all involved.

Spoiler: Shea
Hi gay.

As a big site presence who I never knew that well, it was such a pleasure to actually get to know you. I had so much appreciation for our post-elimination debriefs, and am so glad that we managed to get our scrabble game in, if anything just so that we could have a laugh over other people having the usual reaction to our game and subsequent discussions about Scrabble… philosophy? Thank you for making this meet happen!!

Spoiler: McMenno
It was so good to see you again! One of my absolute fondest memories of the meet was the night where it felt like it was us against the world (LLD) in Tarabish and we somehow defied the odds multiple times over. So in sync! I loved the energy you brought to that and it just made it so much fun for me. And of course, I think I’ve said before that your humour always cracks me up and here was no exception.

Spoiler: het
One of the easiest people to have a conversation with that I’ve ever met, seriously. You were always such a calming presence and I loved our little chats, whether it be about beer, trick-taking card games, whatever! It was also so good to see you absolutely rock the survivor game. You’ve probably been told this many times over, but a massive threat to win if you had survived just one more vote.

Spoiler: Skelda
The thing I keep thinking back to is our conversation about how we each want to live our lives without being held back by fear of stepping outside of our bubbles/comfort zones etc. and I was really excited to hear about your upcoming life plans. Absolutely living life to the fullest and I love that! And I think that kind of came across in how you played the game as well. It was awesome to see you take pride in playing actively and going for the moves that you needed to make.

Spoiler: Vash
My clearest memory of you is when we formed that alliance in your… bedroom I think? (hot) Joking aside, it was the kind of thing that really meant a lot to me, especially after our arc of always targeting each other last time! There was always this openness to you that I found both disarming and comforting, and I loved mini-golf especially as an opportunity to just hang out without needing a game to worry about!

Spoiler: PEG
I loved our “candid” conversations in the game, and I always think about what sort of chaos we might have been able to create if a certain tribal council had gone slightly differently. But I think most of all I loved how much you were about just making the whole experience fun, and a good time for others!

Spoiler: LLD
Even though it was a very Survivor-game conversation, I really enjoyed our reflections on our very different styles of playing and how those styles would often cause us to feel threatened by the other. I think it was just a very astute observation that probably explains a lot about our dynamic in these games! And overall I just loved the degree to which you immersed yourself in the games we played – Survivor, Mafia, 2 Rooms, whatever! I don’t think I would have been able to pick up Tarabish so quickly playing with someone else.

Spoiler: Malkon
We had so much fun, gosh! I couldn’t have asked for a better partner in crime. <3 From our discrete coin transactions, to sharing hot letter gossip, to steamy hot tub confessionals! I wonder what sort of mischief we might have been able to get up to if we had stayed in the game, but I do honestly think we had more fun being eliminated, and I have you to thank for that.

Spoiler: Mallow
The fan favourite!!! Aaah! It was so good to meet you, even if a fair portion of it was us trying (and not quite succeeding) at card games whilst incredibly sleep-deprived (your patience with me when I kept accidentally moving your crib pieces!). I loved how you would often go out of your way to compliment people or say something nice about them, and make everyone feel included. Compiling that playlist really was such a fantastic idea!

Spoiler: Cephrir
I really admired the way that you fought for the people who you were close to in the game, as it’s something that I also aspire to but don’t always succeed at doing, and it was maybe for this reason that I saw you as such a big threat for a long time. I do wish that there had been less survivor-time (and less talking-about-survivor-time) for us to catch up more, but it brought me so much joy to hear about your career plans from here. I know that you’ll be amazing at it!

Spoiler: Monty
I honestly think I got almost as much of a thrill out of you winning as I would have gotten myself. Just… the fact that you went on to do such great things after we both had been voted out at similar times, after you humouring my eliminated-player shenanigans. Aaah! The light-heartedness that you brought to everything was infectious, and thank you for being a friend to me when I needed it.

Spoiler: Haschel
Your steely resolve in the game was downright inspirational. I was exhausted pretty much as soon as Day 2 hit, but you would absolutely not let anything get in your way. I was sad to not do any real game-playing together, but I must let you know how much I appreciated your patience with me during cryptic crossword-solving, and that final catchup at O’Hare was so special. I loved our reflections on the LSG community and how much it means to us.

Spoiler: DeathNote
I think first of all I absolutely must thank you for providing the fake idol letters as a delightful mini-game, as crafty as it was. :D And I actually really appreciated you taking the time to talk to me even when I was voted out and you weren’t, and you could have spent that time talking with other people also still in the game instead! Most of all though, I think I’ll remember your hilarious mafia game narration. It was so difficult not bursting into laughter during the night phase!

Spoiler: Kdowns
The first person I met at the meet!! I am so glad that we were somehow seated together on that Greyhound. Just having a laugh, reminiscing on the old days of MS, following along with the various happenings in the discord server as people were making their way to South Bend. It was such a nice way of easing the tension/nerves going into the whole thing. I was really struck by your kindness and how you would leap to help others out when they needed it, and also the weather in Texas geez. I still don’t know how you put up with it!

Spoiler: Arlen
The conversation we had walking back from the bar was brought up by us at least a couple of times, and I honestly forget exactly what we talked about, but I do remember us being quite aligned on our approaches to the meet, and the game, and it was so exciting for me to learn more about you after not having interacted much with you (online or otherwise) previously. I also loved the way that you explained your approach to the game during the Final Tribal Council, and am disappointed that the chili cook-off didn’t eventuate!

Spoiler: Mina
Thank you for being so open in talking through what happened in the game, particularly between us. There was always a kindness to how you approached it that I really appreciated, and I think it really helped me in my processing of the game as well. Playing other games too with you was, of course, always a joy (perhaps especially in our sleep-deprived attempts to complete trick-taking missions!) and maybe most of all, I appreciated how un-bothered you were by the creaky bunk bed. I still don’t know how you were able to put up with that!

Spoiler: schadd_
The bonus attendee of the meet! I think I said this to you in-person as well, but I admired so much how you just threw yourself into the day that you spent at the meet, even with all of the survivor drama going on! I loved the enjoyment you got out of spectating the chaos and it really made it more enjoyable for me too. And staying up all the way to the end of Final Tribal Council to then drive home after that? Woah!
DeasVail
DeasVail
he/him
Survivor
DeasVail
he/him
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #198 (isolation #6) » Wed Jun 21, 2023 2:55 pm

Post by DeasVail »

In post 196, Cephrir wrote: i'm enjoying reading this in your voice
add a slight slur in my speech as i'm struggling to stay awake on my flight and you've got it perfectly imo

Return to “ORGs and Large Social Games”