Geriatric/lower post games and rulesets in 2021

This forum is for discussion related to the game.
Ydrasse
Ydrasse
She
*twirls hair*
Ydrasse
She
*twirls hair*
*twirls hair*
Pronoun: She

Geriatric/lower post games and rulesets in 2021

Post Post #0 (ISO) » Fri Nov 12, 2021 8:56 am

Post by Ydrasse »

Is there any sort of audience for this sort of thing in 2021? I know there was a geriatric thread (updated about a year ago) but I can’t recall a game run since then with the geriatric rule set. There are some games that I’ve seen or played in attempting to limit upper levels of posts and they seem rather pleasant.

It feels like more and more I see people fatigued by games that have 100 pages on day one, so:

- Are you interested in geriatric games/games with a post limit per day/etc?
- What’s the appeal of high volume posting in a game for you, if applicable?
- How would you implement a post limit/restriction? Flat number of posts per day, phase, percentage based, etc?
- Are there certain setups you’d like to see ran with any limitations, or setups you think benefit from higher posting?

I’m interested in running games with a limit on posts per day but I want to see what people think about them in general before I queue one up, and if there’s something specific that people find more appealing (off the top of my head I’d probably go with something ran recently in the open queue).
☠︎︎
one flesh, one end.
Ircher
Ircher
He / Him / His
What A Grand Idea
Ircher
He / Him / His
What A Grand Idea
What A Grand Idea
Pronoun: He / Him / His

Post Post #1 (ISO) » Fri Nov 12, 2021 10:24 am

Post by Ircher »

I think a rule against triple-posting and more actually goes a long ways towards reducing the post count in a game. It's effective while at the same time not being too obtrusive. I've tried some other things, but they did not seem to work as well.
Links: User Page | GTKAS
Do you have questions, ideas, or feedback for the Scummies? Please pm me!
Hosting: The Grand Neighborhood [Ongoing]
Ydrasse
Ydrasse
She
*twirls hair*
Ydrasse
She
*twirls hair*
*twirls hair*

Post Post #2 (ISO) » Fri Nov 12, 2021 10:48 am

Post by Ydrasse »

i think my worry with triple posting as a limit would be like, someone doing a catch-up in a time zone when people are asleep and they can’t post a third thought because there’s no one to break up the triplet; do you use discretion with that sort of thing if it’s like, say, five posts that are of a decent length and “”worthwhile”” versus low-content?

i guess that brings into question then what counts as content, though.
☠︎︎
one flesh, one end.
Ircher
Ircher
He / Him / His
What A Grand Idea
Ircher
He / Him / His
What A Grand Idea
What A Grand Idea
Pronoun: He / Him / His

Post Post #3 (ISO) » Fri Nov 12, 2021 11:21 am

Post by Ircher »

What the rule is primarily meant to prevent is those catchups where people quote a single post and respond to it. Then they quote another post and respond to it as another post when they could just as easily combined it with their previous post. Here is the precise wording I use for the rule:
My Standard Ruleset wrote:3. You may double-post, but further posting in a row is heavily discouraged. More specifically, this rule is intended to cut down on things that needlessly clutter the thread such as spamming one liner quotes when catching up. This needlessly clutters the thread and takes up vertical space. It also makes it harder to refer back to older posts due to paging. With the advent of phones, this is a popular and "easy" method to catch up, but there are ways, even on phones, to combine smaller posts into larger ones. Try using the draft feature in gmail (or another email client of yours) or the notes app (on iPhones) to compose your thoughts in one post rather than as a burst of several posts. If you have something really important to say, do not let this discourage you from posting, but please try to be a bit more restrained.
4. Players are expected not to excessively spam the thread. While no formal rules apply, there will be penalties for violating this rule. Remember, not everyone can be online all the time. Be sure to give your fellow players a chance to speak rather than drowning out the thread with posts. Furthermore, spamming the thread is inconsiderate to players who are behind. They will become further behind even though they may in reality be posting at a reasonable rate. Please remember to be considerate of your fellow players at all times.
So, it isn't exactly a hard requirement not to triple or quadruple post, but this is still enough to get people to be more conscious of these habits.
Links: User Page | GTKAS
Do you have questions, ideas, or feedback for the Scummies? Please pm me!
Hosting: The Grand Neighborhood [Ongoing]
Something_Smart
Something_Smart
He/him
Somewhat_Balanced
Something_Smart
He/him
Somewhat_Balanced
Somewhat_Balanced
Pronoun: He/him

Post Post #4 (ISO) » Fri Nov 12, 2021 12:39 pm

Post by Something_Smart »

My $0.02 is that multi-posting (a) is much easier than doing one long post on mobile, (b) makes it a lot more likely that someone's post will be read and also makes it easier to respond to, and (c) isn't usually a significant contributor to high postcounts.

I would maybe play in a geriatric game, but my hope is that the existence of the restriction would deter people who would make the restriction matter, if that makes any sense? Like ideally you'd never get to the point where you actually have to enforce it. With that in mind, pretty much any metric is reasonable. Posts per phase and posts per RL day both seem fine to me.
It's always the same. When you fire that first shot, no matter how right you feel, you have no idea who's going to die. You don't know whose children are going to scream and burn. How many hearts will be broken. How many lives shattered. How much blood will spill, until everybody does what they're always going to have to do from the very beginning... SIT DOWN AND TALK!
Ydrasse
Ydrasse
She
*twirls hair*
Ydrasse
She
*twirls hair*
*twirls hair*

Post Post #5 (ISO) » Fri Nov 12, 2021 3:07 pm

Post by Ydrasse »

i think the issue with using the draft feature/etc on mobile is that it's... kind of a hassle to have to copy and paste everyone on a phone, which like... it isn't the biggest hassle in the world sure but it's /enough/ of one that i, at least, find myself unwilling/less likely to quote things and make a mess of maneuvering on a smaller screen the reply boxes and the like. it feels inherently harder to express my thoughts that way so i think that... i dunno, on that front it's kinda hard to balance people not posting from phone without making it more of an issue for them? probably? i don't know if other people feel that way about phoneposting, but for me it's a bit of a burden.

and yeah, i feel like the issue is like... i'm unsure what amount of posts is a "good" amount, because for players who are joining because of the appeal of lower post counts... is 20 enough per day? 40, if they're all meaty? (this is probably too much imo). is it even enough to advertise a game and just say "do not hyperpost, use common sense with what you do and keep things low count?" because then it's not a requirement and it could fail.

dunno, i think maybe a "common sense" restriction could work in a way, if people are willing to abide by it. post what you *need to* and think about if it's too much/too spammy for a thread or if you just posted 3 pages all on your own.
☠︎︎
one flesh, one end.
Firebringer
Firebringer
Trail Blazer
Firebringer
Trail Blazer
Trail Blazer

Post Post #6 (ISO) » Fri Nov 12, 2021 4:37 pm

Post by Firebringer »

In post 0, Ydrasse wrote:and they seem rather pleasant.
don't be deceived
Show
"You are the Joker of mafia players" - Oversoul
"last time I was scum with Firebringer
his first post in the scum PT was "yes I rolled scum!"
I decided to post "haha just don't post that in the main thread", but to get up to date on the main thread first.

His first post in the main thread was "yes I rolled scum!" -popsofctown
T3
T3
He/him
Survivor
T3
He/him
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #7 (ISO) » Sat Nov 13, 2021 5:46 am

Post by T3 »

No.

7/10
- How would you implement a post limit/restriction? Flat number of posts per day, phase, percentage based, etc?

Flat cap.
Ydrasse
Ydrasse
She
*twirls hair*
Ydrasse
She
*twirls hair*
*twirls hair*

Post Post #8 (ISO) » Sat Nov 13, 2021 6:01 am

Post by Ydrasse »

what's the appeal of high post counts?
☠︎︎
one flesh, one end.
T3
T3
He/him
Survivor
T3
He/him
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #9 (ISO) » Sat Nov 13, 2021 6:43 am

Post by T3 »

it's jut more fun in general, more content to work with
very high post games (large themes) are sometimes not fun.
Wisdom
Wisdom
Of the One
Wisdom
Of the One
Of the One

Post Post #10 (ISO) » Sat Nov 13, 2021 8:39 am

Post by Wisdom »

In post 8, Ydrasse wrote:what's the appeal of high post counts?
As a replacement/catching up player? Lots of content to read and solve the game
As an active player? More posts to engage with

Ive tried playing games with such limits a few times, I didn't do well in them.
RH9
RH9
he/him
Mafia Scum
RH9
he/him
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum
Pronoun: he/him

Post Post #11 (ISO) » Sat Nov 13, 2021 9:24 am

Post by RH9 »

In post 0, Ydrasse wrote:Is there any sort of audience for this sort of thing in 2021? I know there was a geriatric thread (updated about a year ago) but I can’t recall a game run since then with the geriatric rule set. There are some games that I’ve seen or played in attempting to limit upper levels of posts and they seem rather pleasant.

It feels like more and more I see people fatigued by games that have 100 pages on day one, so:

- Are there certain setups you’d like to see ran with any limitations, or setups you think benefit from higher posting?

I’m interested in running games with a limit on posts per day but I want to see what people think about them in general before I queue one up, and if there’s something specific that people find more appealing (off the top of my head I’d probably go with something ran recently in the open queue).
To be fair, I would rather read multiple small brief paragraphs than a post that takes up half of the screen. I have nothing against high volume post counts so long they aren't full of fluff. I think it would be all right to give a post restriction of 25% per phase. I'm not sure about setups really.
GTKAS: 2022, 2024

v/la every weekend

indefinite hiatus from mafia solo
redtea
redtea
they/them
Mafia Scum
redtea
they/them
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum
Pronoun: they/them

Post Post #12 (ISO) » Sun Nov 14, 2021 10:16 pm

Post by redtea »

ego
I've been wanting to run a geriatric and would love to join one after i finish up some of these games
*Old account here
redtea
redtea
they/them
Mafia Scum
redtea
they/them
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum
Pronoun: they/them

Post Post #13 (ISO) » Sun Nov 14, 2021 10:27 pm

Post by redtea »

In post 4, Something_Smart wrote:My $0.02 is that multi-posting (a) is much easier than doing one long post on mobile, (b) makes it a lot more likely that someone's post will be read and also makes it easier to respond to, and (c) isn't usually a significant contributor to high postcounts.
In a game with a lot of posts I definitely agree, but with a post limit to begin with, I think it would solve itself kind of?

The biggest hassle about phone-posting for me at least is quoting. Linking posts is annoying, but putting all of the quotes in one big post is obnoxious, so I spread them out via multi-post. But with fewer posts to quote/slower game speed, then that would cut down on that issue.

In post 4, Something_Smart wrote:my hope is that the existence of the restriction would deter people who would make the restriction matter, if that makes any sense? Like ideally you'd never get to the point where you actually have to enforce it.
Yeah, I think that was the idea, since it was started by people who like playing that way. It's a mutual reinforcement kind of thing.
*Old account here
Cook
Cook
She
Mafia Scum
Cook
She
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #14 (ISO) » Tue Nov 16, 2021 1:35 pm

Post by Cook »

i would play a geriatric game

would also mod one
Your friendly neighborhood chef and baker. LONG LIVE THE CHEFHAT REBELLION!
Cults With Guns //
"ya true if you don't play mafia you are probably winning" – Alisae

Inventor of 3d20 //
Successful Rebellion Leader//
Gamma Emerald
Gamma Emerald
Any
Survivor
Gamma Emerald
Any
Survivor
Survivor
Pronoun: Any

Post Post #15 (ISO) » Sat Nov 20, 2021 5:42 pm

Post by Gamma Emerald »

In post 3, Ircher wrote:What the rule is primarily meant to prevent is those catchups where people quote a single post and respond to it. Then they quote another post and respond to it as another post when they could just as easily combined it with their previous post.
I try to mitigate this sometimes but I’m not really great at it + I have ADHD and this can’t really focus too well for a long period so posting more often let’s me anchor myself in my catch-ups so if I get distracted I can open my ISO to pick up where I left off.
<Embrace The Void>

“A flipped coin doesn't always land heads or tails. Sometimes it may never land at all...”
Gamma Emerald
Gamma Emerald
Any
Survivor
Gamma Emerald
Any
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #16 (ISO) » Sat Nov 20, 2021 5:45 pm

Post by Gamma Emerald »

I feel like the methods used in the FGO games + a couple others have done well to encourage not hyperposting
<Embrace The Void>

“A flipped coin doesn't always land heads or tails. Sometimes it may never land at all...”
evileeyore
evileeyore
Townie
evileeyore
Townie
Townie

Post Post #17 (ISO) » Sun Sep 18, 2022 5:03 am

Post by evileeyore »

In post 16, Gamma Emerald wrote:I feel like the methods used in the FGO games + a couple others have done well to encourage not hyperposting
Necroing for an explanation, re: "FGO games"? "a couple others"

Do you remember what was done in those games to reduce hyperposting?
Gamma Emerald
Gamma Emerald
Any
Survivor
Gamma Emerald
Any
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #18 (ISO) » Sun Sep 18, 2022 7:05 am

Post by Gamma Emerald »

Page limit for each day phase, wrt tho FGO games I mentioned
idr what I meant specifically for the other part
<Embrace The Void>

mastina
mastina
She/Her
False Prophet
mastina
She/Her
False Prophet
False Prophet
Pronoun: She/Her

Post Post #19 (ISO) » Mon Sep 19, 2022 7:24 am

Post by mastina »

I'm always down for games of this sort.
evileeyore
evileeyore
Townie
evileeyore
Townie
Townie

Post Post #20 (ISO) » Mon Sep 19, 2022 11:07 am

Post by evileeyore »

In post 18, Gamma Emerald wrote:... FGO games ...
Sorry, I meant "What are 'FGO games'?" AS in, what does 'FGO' stand for, etc.
idr what I meant specifically for the other part
If "post limits per day" were all those games did to curbstomp hyperposting, that covers the second part handily.
Gamma Emerald
Gamma Emerald
Any
Survivor
Gamma Emerald
Any
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #21 (ISO) » Mon Sep 19, 2022 11:20 am

Post by Gamma Emerald »

FGO stands for Fate Grand Order, the games I’m referring to were theme games using that as the theme
<Embrace The Void>

Kmd4390
Kmd4390
I lost a bet.
Kmd4390
I lost a bet.
I lost a bet.

Post Post #22 (ISO) » Tue Nov 01, 2022 3:30 pm

Post by Kmd4390 »

I haven't played in two years because games are so fast. Any game where being at work for 16 consecutive hours isn't going to sink my game would tempt me into coming back.
KMD is the coolest dude who ever lost a bet to me - vonflare
Gamma Emerald
Gamma Emerald
Any
Survivor
Gamma Emerald
Any
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #23 (ISO) » Tue Nov 01, 2022 10:35 pm

Post by Gamma Emerald »

I think your workplace has a pretty significant problem if they’re making you work 16 hour shifts
<Embrace The Void>

Kmd4390
Kmd4390
I lost a bet.
Kmd4390
I lost a bet.
I lost a bet.

Post Post #24 (ISO) » Wed Nov 02, 2022 2:30 am

Post by Kmd4390 »

In post 23, Gamma Emerald wrote:I think your workplace has a pretty significant problem if they’re making you work 16 hour shifts
Lmao. Least of our worries believe me. 16 hours has been the usual since long before I started.
KMD is the coolest dude who ever lost a bet to me - vonflare

Return to “Mafia Discussion”