hi, i'm large normal 242. and i'm over with.

MathBlade
MathBlade
He/Him
Technical Support
MathBlade
He/Him
Technical Support
Technical Support
Pronoun: He/Him

Post Post #3825 (ISO) » Tue Nov 22, 2022 5:30 pm

Post by MathBlade »

In post 3824, KittyTacky wrote:I called D1 than Chungus was scum.

GG all.
I sheeped you :)
ScumBlade's eloquent performance left me utterly disoriented, debased, depraved and sent me spiraling into a horrific murky abyss with emotional turmoil and immense despair as my only companions until slowly I suffocate in my own gloom, surrounded by failure. I will never recover. -- Zachstralkita about Mini 1841
GTKAS -- MathBlade
Lukewarm
Lukewarm
Paragon of Mafia Hunters
Lukewarm
Paragon of Mafia Hunters
Paragon of Mafia Hunters

Post Post #3826 (ISO) » Wed Nov 23, 2022 7:58 pm

Post by Lukewarm »

@schadd_

Just wanted to apologize that I feel like I started my discussion about the design harsher then I should have. I was preemptively frustrated with the dismissal that I felt like I knew was coming, and that was included in that message when it should not have been.

I am going to try again, with a more concrete game design thought:

Scum should be able to punish town for claiming for no reason.

In this set up, the town novice disloyal vigilante could claim on day 2, and there is absolutely nothing that the scum team can do to punish that. They cannot stop the vigilante because they do not have any kind of role block / redirect. They cannot kill the vigilante, because the town has a doc while the scum team had no strong man. They cannot even try to outsmart the vigilante with a less direct action PR. They had nothing.

I think that it would be a benefit to the design process to ask "what can the scum team do if the most powerful town PR claims for no reason" and make sure that there is a satisfactory answer.

You can kind of extrapolate from my earlier point, that there are lots of different answers:
-NO town doc in the set up (so they can just kill)
-1-shot strong man (or more I guess, but a single shot fulfils this need)
-Role block (and variants like jailkeeper, alien or even the newer addition to the normal list, "shield" )
-Redirecter / busdriver
-or the weakest option, which is "now that you know who is targeting the PR, try to out guess them" with something like a scum doc or rolestopper

So there are plenty of different avenues to answer this question, and the answer is likely different based on many other factors surrounding the set up like:
-How much power does this give the scum team even if the claim does not happen
-What *is* the strongest role, because obviously a scum doc does not help if the strongest role is a cop for example
-What other design choices are in the game, like in this game "scum roles look good to a role cop" seemed to be a factor, so it might make sense to lean into an answer that looks good to a role cop, or possibly the fact that there was a lot of role doubling, so maybe it should be a role that was doubled with the town.

But, if the answer to the question ""what can the scum team do if the most powerful town PR claims for no reason" is "nothing," then the scum team *will* feel powerless, and I think that that is flaw that could be fixed in game designs moving forward.
Isis
Isis
she/her, not they
Best in Class
Isis
she/her, not they
Best in Class
Best in Class
Pronoun: she/her, not they

Post Post #3827 (ISO) » Sat Nov 26, 2022 10:03 pm

Post by Isis »

I don't think follow-the-cop light really went off in my head reviewing this. With the quadra of novel modifiers on classic doccop on the two roles in question, one of them not truly being a cop, even, it's hard to notice all the things all the time. I might've nudged if I viewed the interaction between the disloyal vig and tracker-doctor as having similarity to that dynamic.

It's good to keep in mind when you're looking at the list of rolenames that one of the pro scum aspects of the setup was it being a 4:12.
"Let us say that you are right and there are two worlds. How much, then, is this 'other world' worth to you? What do you have there that you do not have here? Money? Power? Something worth causing the prince so much pain for?'"
"Well, I..."
"What? Nothing? You would make the prince suffer over... nothing?"
Crescent
Crescent
She/Her
Mafia Scum
Crescent
She/Her
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum
Pronoun: She/Her

Post Post #3828 (ISO) » Tue Nov 29, 2022 3:53 am

Post by Crescent »

Oh this ended.

I got smacked with what turned out to be super long Covid at virtually the same time this game started. I was waiting for it to pass, and... It didn't. I was messed up for the better part of two months.

Maybe it was divine punishment for my first time rolling scum here I don't know.
schadd_
schadd_
he/it
pandora's pukebox
schadd_
he/it
pandora's pukebox
pandora's pukebox
Pronoun: he/it

Post Post #3829 (ISO) » Tue Nov 29, 2022 6:59 am

Post by schadd_ »

dang, sorry