Title Self-Community-Brainstorm-Request Thread

A subforum entirely dedicated to the discussion of titles. The title fairy has carte blanche in this subforum.
mastina
mastina
She/Her
False Prophet
mastina
She/Her
False Prophet
False Prophet
Pronoun: She/Her

Title Self-Community-Brainstorm-Request Thread

Post Post #0 (ISO) » Mon Jan 16, 2023 3:59 pm

Post by mastina »

What is this thread for?

This is a thread where a scummer may ask the community to come up with a title for them. Brainstorming a possible title.

Nothing more, nothing less.

This is an
experimental project
, to see if the community has matured enough to be able to handle this idea without ego, without narcissism, respectfully, maturely, etc. I'm placing faith in the changed times allowing for this to be run without drama or issues;
please
don't prove me wrong.

If this project doesn't pan out for any reason (drama, community backlash, etc.), I will close this thread.

What this thread is
NOT
for:

This is not a thread to discuss Title Fairy events, policies, rules, etc. That's this thread; go there for any commentary you may have on this thread's purpose.
This is not a thread to
nominate
other users for a title. Go to the main thread for that. This thread is specifically for
suggestions
for a
specific scummer
who requests it.
This is not a thread to self-advocate for a title for yourself. That's the
other
experimental thread, located here.
This is not a thread to
nth
titles. Nothing here is a nomination, after all, and you can't nth what's not a nomination. Go to the appropriate threads for that.
This is not a thread for
discussing
a title nomination (and is not designed for discussing suggestions, either).

What are the rules for this thread?

Aside from asking others to suggest titles for you, all Title Fairy rules apply.

You must follow site rules.
You must not nominate off of an ongoing game.
Titles must follow site rules.
Mean-spirited titles will be rejected.

This thread will
allow
for
discussion
on ideas, but please keep any discussion focused on facilitating new titles. For instance, "hmm, I like that idea, but how about building off of x and y for (new idea) z instead?".
This is not the thread to find the perfect title for a user
. All title suggestions (within the rules) are welcomed, since we're not necessarily trying to come up with THE title for the user. We're just coming up with
ideas
Keep the focus on ideas for titles; minimize discussion on already suggested ideas
. (With any discussion meant to facilitate even
more
ideas.)

This is a brainstorm for a title for scummers, on their request. Success is not guaranteed. Your request may go unheeded.

I'll allow (at my discretion) scummers to bump a
completely unheeded
request--
once
. Only once. (Note the "completely unheeded". If someone responds, then you are not completely unheeded.) Your post for your request won't magically go away; it will always be there for someone to read in the future should they choose to. (Just because nobody comes up with an idea within a week doesn't mean someone six months from now won't look at your request and think of something.)

This is not a place for drama. If your request goes unheeded, don't stir up a shitstorm about it. You get what you get. You
don't
get what you don't get. If you don't feel like you can handle nobody engaging your request, it is perhaps best to not make the request. I'm trusting you to know your limitations and not get hurt if the responses are lackluster or absent. (Please for the love of god don't prove me wrong in having faith in your maturity.) If your self-confidence can't handle radio silence towards you, then don't risk it, please. Success isn't guaranteed. Engagement isn't guaranteed. Nothing is guaranteed. So don't go in expecting anything to be guaranteed. Expect silence and be surprised by anything above that.

This is not a place for you to actively participate in your own titling process. Scummers cannot give feedback on any of the ideas for themselves. Leave it to the community on their own if you opt in, please.

The Process:

Any scummer desiring the community to give suggestions/brainstorm on a title for them may post, "
Hey, can I get suggestions for a title for me?
" or something similar. (They may redact their request at any point.)
Scummers can only make one request to this effect, and
must not include any ideas for themselves
Scummers cannot give feedback on the given suggestions for themselves. They get what they get, that's it. They don't get a say in furthering the talks.

Other scummers offer whatever title ideas which come to mind.
Since this is a brainstorm process, the suggested titles need not be high-quality.
The goal isn't to find a final title.
The goal isn't to discuss the titles given.
The goal is to simply suggest titles which scummers feel may be apt for the scummer requesting them.

Scummers may suggest as many titles as they want for a scummer requesting a brainstorm of ideas.

And that's it. This is not a thread to nominate/nth a title. It is not a thread to discuss a title nominated. There's no nths here. Just title ideas, at request.
Spoiler: Suggested (mastina-approved) default process
In post 15, Psyche wrote:So what I'd suggest as a default pattern for brainstorming potential titles for a user is:
1. Users start by forming an initial list of notable factors that might form the basis for a title.
2. Discussion from there further develops this list and maybe also prune out elements that aren't so notable or applicable.
3. At the same time, users identify potential words/concepts that might help concisely summarize some core factors from this list
4. Eventually, at least one good potential nomination is workshopped and the conversation moves to the main thread for confirmation

The idea is that we start by collecting all the usual elements of a good case for a title and sort of generate/deduce from there. From there, users can contribute to brainstorming titles even when they don't know the subject of the title that well!
Gamma Emerald
Gamma Emerald
Any
Survivor
Gamma Emerald
Any
Survivor
Survivor
Pronoun: Any

Post Post #1 (ISO) » Mon Jan 16, 2023 4:19 pm

Post by Gamma Emerald »

ego
<Embrace The Void>

“A flipped coin doesn't always land heads or tails. Sometimes it may never land at all...”
RH9
RH9
he/him
Mafia Scum
RH9
he/him
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum
Pronoun: he/him

Post Post #2 (ISO) » Mon Jan 16, 2023 5:05 pm

Post by RH9 »

Egoing
GTKAS: 2022, 2024

v/la every weekend

indefinite hiatus from mafia solo
Ythan
Ythan
She
Welcome to the Haystack
Ythan
She
Welcome to the Haystack
Welcome to the Haystack
Pronoun: She

Post Post #3 (ISO) » Tue Jan 17, 2023 12:48 am

Post by Ythan »

Ego
Nancy Drew 39
Nancy Drew 39
She/Her
Not that Inno Scent
Nancy Drew 39
She/Her
Not that Inno Scent
Not that Inno Scent

Post Post #4 (ISO) » Tue Jan 17, 2023 2:51 am

Post by Nancy Drew 39 »

ego
We just need to tread carefully because if you slip up around her as scum she notices and will tear your spine out and slap you to death with it. (I'm slightly scared of Nancy)
~the worst
Nancy is pretty heavenly ngl
~CheekyTeeky
Nancy-scum feels like a hot knife slicing through butter. Nancy-town feels like a magnifying glass in the sun glaring down at an insect.
~Taly
Firebringer
Firebringer
Trail Blazer
Firebringer
Trail Blazer
Trail Blazer

Post Post #5 (ISO) » Tue Jan 17, 2023 7:18 am

Post by Firebringer »

wait is this only for self titles.
i wanted to use this thread to brainstorm a title for norwee
Show
"You are the Joker of mafia players" - Oversoul
"last time I was scum with Firebringer
his first post in the scum PT was "yes I rolled scum!"
I decided to post "haha just don't post that in the main thread", but to get up to date on the main thread first.

His first post in the main thread was "yes I rolled scum!" -popsofctown
Ythan
Ythan
She
Welcome to the Haystack
Ythan
She
Welcome to the Haystack
Welcome to the Haystack

Post Post #6 (ISO) » Tue Jan 17, 2023 7:38 am

Post by Ythan »

It looks like if they were to indicate they'd like one we could do so.
MegAzumarill
MegAzumarill
She/Her
Jack of All Trades
MegAzumarill
She/Her
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #7 (ISO) » Tue Jan 17, 2023 8:51 am

Post by MegAzumarill »

In post 5, Firebringer wrote:wait is this only for self titles.
No the self title thread would be here I believe.

Also egoing
Imprefection is the spice of life.
TemporalLich
TemporalLich
Grand Scheme
TemporalLich
Grand Scheme
Grand Scheme

Post Post #8 (ISO) » Tue Jan 17, 2023 9:40 am

Post by TemporalLich »

In post 7, MegAzumarill wrote:
No the self title thread would be here I believe.

Also egoing
I believe this thread is so you can request for people to think of a title for you.

If you have a good idea for a title for another scummer already (and aren't just looking to brainstorm), you would post in the main title thread.
time will end
MURDERCAT
MURDERCAT
he/him
Survivor
MURDERCAT
he/him
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #9 (ISO) » Tue Jan 17, 2023 11:04 am

Post by MURDERCAT »

do me
GTKAMURDERCAT

Retired from playing, find me on discord
Thestatusquo
Thestatusquo
He/Him
Shea

Thestatusquo
He/Him
Shea

Shea

Pronoun: He/Him

Post Post #10 (ISO) » Tue Jan 17, 2023 11:45 am

Post by Thestatusquo »

I feel like I should be able to come up with a good one for you but I'm drawing a blank.
tout comprendre c'est tout pardonner
Firebringer
Firebringer
Trail Blazer
Firebringer
Trail Blazer
Trail Blazer

Post Post #11 (ISO) » Tue Jan 17, 2023 1:11 pm

Post by Firebringer »

TSQs Cat for MurderCat
Show
"You are the Joker of mafia players" - Oversoul
"last time I was scum with Firebringer
his first post in the scum PT was "yes I rolled scum!"
I decided to post "haha just don't post that in the main thread", but to get up to date on the main thread first.

His first post in the main thread was "yes I rolled scum!" -popsofctown
mastina
mastina
She/Her
False Prophet
mastina
She/Her
False Prophet
False Prophet

Post Post #12 (ISO) » Tue Jan 17, 2023 4:09 pm

Post by mastina »

In post 8, TemporalLich wrote:
In post 7, MegAzumarill wrote:
No the self title thread would be here I believe. Also egoing
I believe this thread is so you can request for people to think of a title for you. If you have a good idea for a title for another scummer already (and aren't just looking to brainstorm), you would post in the main title thread.
That's correct!
Thestatusquo
Thestatusquo
He/Him
Shea

Thestatusquo
He/Him
Shea

Shea

Post Post #13 (ISO) » Tue Jan 17, 2023 5:13 pm

Post by Thestatusquo »

FBs suggestion for MC makes me feel kind of uncomfortable lol
Ythan
Ythan
She
Welcome to the Haystack
Ythan
She
Welcome to the Haystack
Welcome to the Haystack

Post Post #14 (ISO) » Tue Jan 17, 2023 5:21 pm

Post by Ythan »

I interpreted that as a title suggestion for your cat ha.
Psyche
Psyche
he/they
Survivor
Psyche
he/they
Survivor
Survivor
Pronoun: he/they

Post Post #15 (ISO) » Wed Jan 18, 2023 1:28 am

Post by Psyche »

So what I'd suggest as a default pattern for brainstorming potential titles for a user is:

1. Users start by forming an initial list of notable factors that might form the basis for a title.
2. Discussion from there further develops this list and maybe also prune out elements that aren't so notable or applicable.
3. At the same time, users identify potential words/concepts that might help concisely summarize some core factors from this list
4. Eventually, at least one good potential nomination is workshopped and the conversation moves to the main thread for confirmation

The idea is that we start by collecting all the usual elements of a good case for a title and sort of generate/deduce from there. From there, users can contribute to brainstorming titles even when they don't know the subject of the title that well!

This would be a good point where I write up an example applicable to someone here but honestly I don't know any of you untitled very distinctly! But below is an example of how even a bot ChatGPT that knows all of us even less can brainstorm titles from an example nom and a small list of user factors. So even if community members draw a blank once we've summed up a user, a good title nom could still be possible.

Spoiler: prompt
An internet forum I visit sometimes grants titles to users based on things they've done and aspects of their personality or reputation. The titles often contain wordplay or jokes.

For a title to be accepted, a user must be nominated by another community member. For example, below is a nomination for a username named "implosion" for the title "polymath":

Nominate implosion for Polymath

1. Notably, he was the arguable MVP in the recent Clash of the Mash and a key component in Red's win (likely every CoTM participant will agree with me to some extent). He got to showcase his outstanding puzzle solving, deduction, strategy, and trivia competency and performed highly in almost every cerebral challenge.

2. The last part of the title plays into his field of study (mathematics) which he has integrated into his site persona. This is by way of making and participating in the second Math and Logic Mishmash thread, discussing math with other sitechatters of present and past (Who and Ellibereth come most immediately to mind) and in numerous very well received MD contributions involving EV calculations or theory.

3. implosion is going back to grad school to once again study math and made the grad school discussion thread in SE. The word polymath evokes an image of someone with a vested interest in academic learning and with knowledge of a wide range of intellectual pursuits and is a good-looking and elegant title.

Can you write up a nomination for a user named "Harold" who is known for making a lot of short posts with little content and singing very well?

Spoiler: ai response
Nominate Harold for "Songbird"

Harold is known for his love of singing, which he often showcases on the forum by sharing videos of his performances or posting lyrics to his favorite songs. His singing ability has earned him a reputation as a talented vocalist, and his fellow community members often express their admiration for his voice.

In addition to his love of singing, Harold is also known for his short, to-the-point posts, which often contain little content but are still well-received by the community. This aspect of his personality is reflected in the second part of the proposed title, "Songbird," which evokes the image of a bird singing a brief but beautiful melody.

Overall, the proposed title of "Songbird" captures both Harold's talent for singing and his penchant for making short, snappy posts. It is a fitting and well-deserved title that would be well-received by the community.
MURDERCAT
MURDERCAT
he/him
Survivor
MURDERCAT
he/him
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #16 (ISO) » Wed Jan 18, 2023 2:33 pm

Post by MURDERCAT »

I want a chat gpt title, that would be fitting for me
GTKAMURDERCAT

Retired from playing, find me on discord
mastina
mastina
She/Her
False Prophet
mastina
She/Her
False Prophet
False Prophet

Post Post #17 (ISO) » Wed Jan 18, 2023 3:16 pm

Post by mastina »

In post 15, Psyche wrote:So what I'd suggest as a default pattern for brainstorming potential titles for a user is:

Basically, yes! This is what I had in mind.
However, the idea isn't to have the main thread be only for finalized nominations; users can still make nominations there. This thread is more a place for when the normal process hasn't/doesn't work, to potentially produce something that
will
(at the request of the scummer in question).

Titles that are already close enough to working and/or titles which are not actively initiated by the nominee still go in the main thread.
This is mostly a thread for those who either feel the normal process has failed them, or will fail them (for instance, being too new), and who actively want a title and don't want to wait for someone to randomly nominate them (with the scummer in question not having an idea of their own).
But also, to have a little fun (but specifically opt-in), which might produce new titles even among those who have been titled. (You never know.)
Thestatusquo
Thestatusquo
He/Him
Shea

Thestatusquo
He/Him
Shea

Shea

Post Post #18 (ISO) » Fri Feb 10, 2023 8:39 pm

Post by Thestatusquo »

I would also like to give a title for coolcatjune because she is my favorite but I am not particularly clever about these things.
Psyche
Psyche
he/they
Survivor
Psyche
he/they
Survivor
Survivor
Pronoun: he/they

Post Post #19 (ISO) » Sat Feb 11, 2023 12:51 am

Post by Psyche »