Board Games!

This forum is specifically for discussing non-Mafia games
(board, card, video, we're not picky)
Playing
such games should happen in the Mish Mash forum, of course.
Lady Lambdadelta
Lady Lambdadelta
She/Faer
Rise of the Phoenix
Lady Lambdadelta
She/Faer
Rise of the Phoenix
Rise of the Phoenix
Pronoun: She/Faer

Post Post #4050 (ISO) » Mon Mar 06, 2023 5:13 am

Post by Lady Lambdadelta »

In post 4049, Thestatusquo wrote: Its interesting to notice differences like this in play style because i don't try to min max games at all and me and my friends had a blast with it
yeah, there's a split in that somewhat but i also take small (very small) reservation with the term min max cause people used it as a bad word in TTRPGs and rightly so to some extent but this is a strategic game so using optimal strategies is fun.

The issue is, uh, there's only one optimal strategy. Hiding as traitor is pointless, you should be openly sabotaging and trying to get the team to exile you so you can take the catapult action every turn. Or draw a million cards until you find the 1 card that lets you reveal as traitor

then take the catapult action every turn

it's p. nuts

but yeah like, if you have a group who doesn't lean towards like, that kind of play have fun! Though, if you don't do that it's near impossible for the traitor to win, actually, so >.> but that's assuming town does good plays too and

the game is a bit of a mess there's lots of better games like it, i admit.
Yes my Lord, but questions are dangerous, for they have answers.

13 heads and counting now, plurality is adaptive. If our experience might help you,
click here
If you wish to
speak to one of us
, we are Niamh, Rhiannon, Rhea, Aisling, Saoirse, Selene, Aoife, Fírinne, Aurélie, Lyra, Airna, Fiadh and Laoise.
Soar on wings of retribution and set the world ablaze
McMenno
McMenno
they/them
One For Aren't-We-All
McMenno
they/them
One For Aren't-We-All
One For Aren't-We-All
Pronoun: they/them

Post Post #4051 (ISO) » Mon Mar 06, 2023 5:16 am

Post by McMenno »

In post 4049, Thestatusquo wrote: Its interesting to notice differences like this in play style because i don't try to min max games at all and me and my friends had a blast with it
most games
mafiascum is on life support
AniX
AniX
None
UCalled
AniX
None
UCalled
UCalled
Pronoun: None

Post Post #4052 (ISO) » Mon Mar 06, 2023 8:31 am

Post by AniX »

In post 4047, Thestatusquo wrote: Oh @Anix for a very flavorful game I suggest shadows over camelot.
I'll definitely look into it, but I'll also keep what you are saying in mind LLD, especially because one of my group's toxic board game traits is being obnoxious when we find a loophole strategy because we are at least partially lawyers.

One game I picked up on the cheap I am excited to play is Fog of Love, which seems extremely thematic to the point it seems more story-telling vehicle with game elements than the opposite.
Official Gimmick List:
INVENTOR OF UPICK!
LORD OF THE 11TH HOUR!
ASEXUAL!
KING SCAR APOLOGIST!
DREAMER OF THE NE0N DREAM (SUPP 2021 LAST PLACE WINNER)!

I have donned the
RED CROWN
Infinity 324
Infinity 324
they (pl.)
Survivor
Infinity 324
they (pl.)
Survivor
Survivor
Pronoun: they (pl.)

Post Post #4053 (ISO) » Mon Mar 06, 2023 8:52 am

Post by Infinity 324 »

i played beer and cheese last night which looks like a simple game but was kind of overwhelmingly complicated. i enjoyed it though and it seemed there were a ton of interesting decisions. 2 players seems optimal
Show
new GTKAS

<3 you are valid

plural system, we may or may not sign
Fenchurch
Fenchurch
she/they
Mafia Scum
Fenchurch
she/they
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum
Pronoun: she/they

Post Post #4054 (ISO) » Mon Mar 06, 2023 10:48 am

Post by Fenchurch »

In post 4041, Vaxkiller wrote: I think one of the roles I had, I was supposed to switch 2 players cards, but how is that a pro town move?
Example:
You swap 2 players cards
Tell them you've done so
One of those players was a wolf, but now the cards are swapped they are no longer a wolf
The other player is now a wolf
The original wolf can say openly that they used to be a wolf and that the new player is now a wolf.
Villagers vote the new wolf and win.

That's just a basic play, it won't always go exactly like that.

The point of the game is that you don't know what happened in the night and roles get switched, so you are trying to deduce out what your current alignment is, and who to vote to win as that alignment. Whilst everyone else is trying to do the same.

The game is built around claiming, so you definitely should be claiming, and the wolves can fakeclaim, unless they find out they are no longer a wolf, in which case they can tell the truth.
GreyICE
GreyICE
Fifty Shades
GreyICE
Fifty Shades
Fifty Shades

Post Post #4055 (ISO) » Thu Mar 09, 2023 5:31 am

Post by GreyICE »

In post 4052, AniX wrote:
In post 4047, Thestatusquo wrote: Oh @Anix for a very flavorful game I suggest shadows over camelot.
I'll definitely look into it, but I'll also keep what you are saying in mind LLD, especially because one of my group's toxic board game traits is being obnoxious when we find a loophole strategy because we are at least partially lawyers.

One game I picked up on the cheap I am excited to play is Fog of Love, which seems extremely thematic to the point it seems more story-telling vehicle with game elements than the opposite.
Shadows was one of the first hidden traitor games, and it's a hard road to walk. Mafia just eliminates traitors, but when they have to stay in the game you need compelling things to do when you're hidden, and compelling things to do when you're revealed. On the other hand I just don't know how playtesting didn't catch it. Removing a catapult is so difficult that they're essentially an endgame timer mechanic. Speeding up the endgame timer is both the best thing you can do (because it very directly puts pressure on everyone) and also the only worthwhile choice a revealed traitor gets, so they're kind of a "place catapault" bot, which is a role a drinking bird could replicate.

Unfathomable is a bit more complicated, but a great hidden role game.

OTOH I can't sing the praises of Quest highly enough. Completely replaces Resistance in every single way for me. Simpler, but also much less arguing and much, much less voting (as in none). Also has the most hilarious thing of regularly having the town outnumbered by scum, and yet the scum still having to play like scum.
Show
That which is done out of love always takes place beyond good and evil

Official Visigoth

Read Mother Jones
Lady Lambdadelta
Lady Lambdadelta
She/Faer
Rise of the Phoenix
Lady Lambdadelta
She/Faer
Rise of the Phoenix
Rise of the Phoenix

Post Post #4056 (ISO) » Thu Mar 09, 2023 5:46 am

In post 4055, GreyICE wrote:
In post 4052, AniX wrote:

Shadows was one of the first hidden traitor games, and it's a hard road to walk. Mafia just eliminates traitors, but when they have to stay in the game you need compelling things to do when you're hidden, and compelling things to do when you're revealed. On the other hand I just don't know how playtesting didn't catch it. Removing a catapult is so difficult that they're essentially an endgame timer mechanic. Speeding up the endgame timer is both the best thing you can do (because it very directly puts pressure on everyone) and also the only worthwhile choice a revealed traitor gets, so they're kind of a "place catapault" bot, which is a role a drinking bird could replicate.

Unfathomable is a bit more complicated, but a great hidden role game.

OTOH I can't sing the praises of Quest highly enough. Completely replaces Resistance in every single way for me. Simpler, but also much less arguing and much, much less voting (as in none). Also has the most hilarious thing of regularly having the town outnumbered by scum, and yet the scum still having to play like scum.
Quest is really really good.

13 heads and counting now, plurality is adaptive. If our experience might help you,
click here
If you wish to
speak to one of us
, we are Niamh, Rhiannon, Rhea, Aisling, Saoirse, Selene, Aoife, Fírinne, Aurélie, Lyra, Airna, Fiadh and Laoise.
Vaxkiller
Vaxkiller
Jack of All Trades
Vaxkiller
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #4057 (ISO) » Wed Mar 22, 2023 6:41 am

Post by Vaxkiller »

We just bought Catan Jr to play with our little one, we all had a great time playing. It has a simplified rule set while keeping to the familiar gameplay of the regular version. I'd recommend it to anyone who wants to introduce their little one to board games that are a little more complicated than trouble/candy land/etc...

My wife and I have even played without our little one on some occasions! We should probably buy the 2 player Catan version to play.

Anyone have any recommendations for 6+year olds?
Vaxkiller is not anti-vaccine, he is a killer of Vax machines.

Games played.
Lady Lambdadelta
Lady Lambdadelta
She/Faer
Rise of the Phoenix
Lady Lambdadelta
She/Faer
Rise of the Phoenix
Rise of the Phoenix

Post Post #4058 (ISO) » Wed Mar 22, 2023 6:44 am

The Initiative

click here
If you wish to
speak to one of us
Vaxkiller
Vaxkiller
Jack of All Trades
Vaxkiller
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #4059 (ISO) » Wed Mar 22, 2023 8:02 am

Post by Vaxkiller »

Looks neat, we will give it a go!

Games played.
furtiveglance
furtiveglance
He/Him
Jack of All Trades
furtiveglance
He/Him
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades
Pronoun: He/Him

Post Post #4060 (ISO) » Wed Mar 22, 2023 8:06 am

Post by furtiveglance »

Monopoly JR?

Samurai is light strategy but might be too advanced for a 6 yr old idk
Vaxkiller
Vaxkiller
Jack of All Trades
Vaxkiller
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #4061 (ISO) » Wed Mar 22, 2023 8:23 am

Post by Vaxkiller »

In post 4060, furtiveglance wrote: Monopoly JR?

Samurai is light strategy but might be too advanced for a 6 yr old idk
We do have a "Bluey" version of Monopoly Jr. I'm not sure what I expected of Monopoly Jr, but it is designed pretty good. Bluey theme helps!

Samurai does look neat, but yea, it does look a little complicated maybe. I'm adding that to my future list.

I'm adding My First Carcassonne to the cart as well.

Games played.
Irrelephant11
Irrelephant11
He
Jack of All Trades
Irrelephant11
He
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades
Pronoun: He

Post Post #4062 (ISO) » Fri Mar 31, 2023 1:39 am

Post by Irrelephant11 »

In post 4045, mallowgeno wrote: My copy of Frosthaven arrived a few weeks ago and my friend group and I have enjoyed playing it a lot. It changes some small things from Gloomhaven and the campaign missions feel much more diverse and not just "kill all enemies" which has been refreshing. Also enjoying the crafting mechanic a lot
Omg congrats! I can’t wait to try Frosthaven but I and my friends are all waiting (probably for years yet) to order it when it’s not $300+ because of the insanity of the secondhand market
Hey all! Excited and nervous to play my first game with you!
AniX
AniX
None
UCalled
AniX
None
UCalled
UCalled
Pronoun: None

Post Post #4063 (ISO) » Tue Jul 25, 2023 7:34 am

Post by AniX »

In post 4025, AniX wrote: I recently have gotten into board games (or at least, more into them than I had been). Here is now my collection stands thus far:

Holdovers from Childhood:
Pokemon Master Trainer:
This game definitely seemed a lot better when I was a child, but still, there is something about a early 2000's game that allowed you to catch ALL 150 Pokemon when most other games were just roll-and-moves that still seems special today.

Animorphs:The Board Game
Animorphs: The Card Game (Both Versions: Jake & Cassie/Rachel & Marco):
This game is not well-made but I find the "cards as map" mechanic pretty interesting. I had to get it then and keep it now because if there is one fan of Animorphs, it's me.

New Pick-Ups:
Marrying Mr. Darcy (+ Emma Expansion)

Back to the Future: Dice Through Time
Back to the Future:Back in Time:
A really well-made co-op game. One of the most immersive property based board games I've ever played.

Sailor Moon Crystal: Truth or Bluff:
I picked this up solely because one of the landmark sessions of my Sailor Moon ttrpg was a True or Dare based session and I couldn't resist when I saw this branded property item. Haven't had a chance to play yet because I promised my players we'd break it open when all 5 of us could play in person.

Power Rangers: Deck-Building Game:
I was really looking forward to this game because I love deck-builders and I love Power Rangers. I really was disappointed. Way too busy and the rules are really poorly explained, even when I played with someone who is an expert on deck-builders. Probably going to flip this.

Spy Alley:
Got this as a gift, but it actually is pretty fun, if skews a bit on the younger side.

Lords & Ladies:
I picked this up without testing it first because I really liked the generations-based mechanic where half the game is marrying your character, having kids, and then marrying those kids. I'd definitely love any recs for other games that form a similar family tree sort of thing.

Disney Villainous (+ Evil Comes Prepared)

Star Trek: Five-Year Mission (+ Wesley Crusher/Janice Rand promo card):
I saw this on an ASMR play-through and I thought it looked really fun but was on the fence, but pulled the trigger when I found it cheap AND with the promo card included.

Wacky Races: The Board Game:
I just bought this earlier today because I saw it on sale. I thought it looked really thematic so we'll see if I enjoy it. I'm kind of bummed only the Deluxe edition has the cardboard tiles but I also didn't want to spend extra money and I prefer the look of the monochromatic racers over the painted ones, which kind of have an uncanny valley look to them.

I'd love suggestions if people know of any games similar to these!
Updating this list:

Crusader Kings: The Board Game (+ Councilors & Inventions)

Disney Gargoyles: Awakening:
Picked up new for 10 dollars

Fog of Love (+Paranormal Love, It Will Never Last, and Bonus Occupation Promo Cards:
Love this. The exact sort of game I enjoy, very thematic and immersive.

Mahou Shoujo: Fight Like a Girl!

Marrying Mr. Darcy: Undead Expansion:
Decided to complete the set

Mantis Falls:
Social deduction game built for 2-3 players, which I like because that is often all I have and as we all know social deduction games often require larger groups. BEAUTIFUL game.

Starry Night Sky
Official Gimmick List:
INVENTOR OF UPICK!
LORD OF THE 11TH HOUR!
ASEXUAL!
KING SCAR APOLOGIST!
DREAMER OF THE NE0N DREAM (SUPP 2021 LAST PLACE WINNER)!

I have donned the
RED CROWN

Return to “The Arcade”