osuka's votecounter + modtools

This forum is for discussion related to the game.
osuka
osuka
he/him/his
Jack of All Trades
osuka
he/him/his
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades
Pronoun: he/him/his

osuka's votecounter + modtools

Post Post #0 (ISO) » Sat May 06, 2023 2:22 pm

Post by osuka »

hi everyone

i love modding but i'm a lazy idiot, so naturally the obvious answer was to write a vote counter. I figured that could help other people who are still counting votes by hand, so I figured what the hell, tossed it on github. for now it's just a votecounter lol but in the future i might add more stuff to it, especially if there's demand for it.

osuka's modtools

available at https://github.com/fbastos1/mafiascum-m ... /tree/main pls dont dox me
votecounter

"but osuka, how is this different from all the other vote counters out there?" great question, thank you for asking.

most of the vote counters i've ever seen are web-based. This comes with a few downsides:
- it costs $$$ to run a server, so they probably won't run forever
- servers may have downtime
- servers may be overloaded, which could make the votecounter painfully slow

i've seen some vote counters that are not hosted on a server but instead a downloadable executable. that's cool too, but it does also come with a few downsides:
- platform support may be limited (what if it's a windows binary, but i'm on macOS or linux?)
- they may be largely inflexible (how are the posts formatted? how does the parser work?)
- they may not be updated in time (are they actively maintained?)

the votecounter was built with correctness in mind - it will
always
give you the exact same output if given the exact same input. That means things like multiple votes in a single post are resolved in the same way, every time. the votecounter guarantees:
- it will always resolve votes the same way
- it will only resolve votes that it's sure (or almost sure) are correct - otherwise, it's designed to fail and require human intervention to protect game integrity and ensure correctness
- it will always warn if it's not
really
sure of a vote

The only drawback, so far, is that
it will not count bolded votes - only votes in vote tags. If there is demand to change this, I will.

this votecounter is written in python. it's effectively infinitely extensible, by virtue of being FOSS (free + open source software) - it's MIT licensed, so go nuts - and easily maintainable by anyone with working knowledge of Python. it's also auditable by anyone with working knowledge of python, so you can rest assured it's not gonna pwn you and steal your credit card number and family pictures.

I opted for a CLI (command-line interface) utility instead of a graphical interface. This means the code is simpler to write and maintain, it's more lightweight, and it can run (basically) anywhere. if you're not a wiz or if you've never used a CLI in the past, fret not! Here are a few tips to get you started, depending on your platform. Remember you only need to run setup once!
Spoiler: windows
Spoiler: setup
if you're on windows, you should have powershell already installed - it ships with the OS. You'll need git and python - the easiest way to install these, to me, is with chocolatey. You can follow the instructions on that page, under "individual", to install it. Once you've installed chocolatey, start powershell as admin and run:

Code: Select all

choco install python git
python -m pip install ruamel.yaml jellyfish coloredlogs requests bs4 jinja2

now that we're done installing our dependencies, navigate to the folder you want to download the vote counter to. For example, if I want to download it into a folder called "mafiascum" under my documents folder:

cd C:\Users\osuka\Documents
mkdir mafiascum
cd mafiascum

then, download the votecounter:

git clone https://github.com/fbastos1/mafiascum-modtools.git

git should create a new folder, mafiascum-modtools. navigate to that:

cd mafiascum-modtools

then simply write your game definition file and optionally, your template and you should be good to go! For example, I would run:

python ./votecounter.py mygamedefinition.yaml --template osuka.jinja

(simply substitute "mygamedefinition.yaml" and "osuka.jinja" with your game definition file and template file names, respectively)

you're all done with the setup!

to run this again after setup:

open a new powershell window and just navigate to the folder you created and run the votecounter:

cd C:\Users\osuka\Documents\mafiascum\mafiascum-modtools

you should also keep it up to date! to make sure you have the latest version, make sure your terminal is in the folder you downloaded the votecounter and run:

git pull

Spoiler: macOS
if you're on macOS, i cannot recommend homebrew highly enough. open up the Terminal - that's where you'll install brew - and once you've got homebrew installed, run the following:

brew install git python3
python3 -m pip install ruamel.yaml jellyfish coloredlogs requests bs4 jinja2

then, navigate to the folder you want to download the votecounter to and download it. For example, let's say I want to download it to a folder called "mafiascum" under my Documents folder:

cd ~/Documents && mkdir mafiascum && cd mafiascum

git should create a new folder, called mafiascum-modtools. navigate to it:

cd mafiascum-modtools

now that we're done installing dependencies and getting the votecounter, write your game definition file and optionally, your formatting template, and you should be good to go. For example, I'd run:

python3 ./votecounter.py mygamedefinition.yaml --template osuka.jinja

simply replace mygamedefinition.yaml with the name of your game definition file and replace osuka.jinja with the name of your template file!

to run this again:

open a new terminal window, navigate to the folder where you downloaded the votecounter, and run it:

cd ~/documents/mafiascum/mafiascum-modtools
python3 ./votecounter.py mygamedefinition.yaml --template osuka.jinja

you should also keep it up to date! to make sure you have the latest version, make sure your terminal is in the folder you downloaded the votecounter and run:

git pull

Spoiler: linux
todo lmao if you're on linux i assume you probably know how to use the cli. install git and python3, then install the dependencies as shown in the github page. i'll prob write this at some point in the future lol sorry

also, most of the vote counters i've ever seen assume certain things about how post #0 is formatted or other things. I don't like that, so i decided to build a solution that worked for me in the way i wanted it to. the votecounter works with a game definition file - the specifications of which can be found in the github page, as well as an example of a game definition file. Writing the game definition is a one-off - when you do it, you shouldn't have to do it again for the same game, and it should take only a few minutes to set that up. After that, it's just a matter of running the votecounter and letting it do its thing.

But wait! there's more!

It also optionally formats posts for you! I'm a lazy shit and i don't wanna format posts by hand, so the votecounter uses Jinja to format posts in whatever way you want them to be formatted and just outputs the phpBB code for the post, (mostly) ready to go. There's also an example of this, as well as some more details, in the github page.

"I would also like to reiterate my claim that Osuka is sort of obviously town" - rc about scumsuka
"don't tell anyone, but there's a reason why you're one of my favourite people to mod for" - datisi
osuka
osuka
he/him/his
Jack of All Trades
osuka
he/him/his
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #1 (ISO) » Sat May 06, 2023 2:22 pm

Post by osuka »

please please please let me know how this works for you! what do you want to see? what sucks? what doesn't suck?

if you have problems with the setup or if you find something wrong with it, please let me know! i want this to be useful to more people than just myself so don't be afraid to ask or complain!

"I would also like to reiterate my claim that Osuka is sort of obviously town" - rc about scumsuka
"don't tell anyone, but there's a reason why you're one of my favourite people to mod for" - datisi
Skygazer
Skygazer
any
For My Next Guest
Skygazer
any
For My Next Guest
For My Next Guest
Pronoun: any

Post Post #2 (ISO) » Sun May 07, 2023 3:15 am

Post by Skygazer »

ego
i have the most queues
replacement queue | upick queue
RH9
RH9
he/him
Mafia Scum
RH9
he/him
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum
Pronoun: he/him

Post Post #3 (ISO) » Sun May 07, 2023 7:01 pm

Post by RH9 »

Egoing.
I might use this for the next time I mod something.
GTKAS: 2022, 2024

v/la every weekend

indefinite hiatus from mafia solo
yessiree
yessiree
he
Mafia Scum
yessiree
he
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum
Pronoun: he

Post Post #4 (ISO) » Sun May 07, 2023 9:25 pm

Post by yessiree »

In post 0, osuka wrote: available at https://github.com/fbastos1/mafiascum-m ... /tree/main pls dont dox me
HE'S FELIPE everybody his name is Felipe

jokes aside, you can process up to 200 posts at once like this, should be much fewer requests to the server
viewtopic.php?t=90886&view=print&ppp=200

how good is the username string matching algorithm you are using btw?
I gave up trying to write my own votecounter because I couldn't find a satisfactory solution without resorting to extensive configs, or venturing to NLP category (despair)

i think the CLI format is pretty user friendly already, but might still pose as a barrier to entry for a lot of non tech-savvy people, one step further u can take is a browser extension so people can install on Chrome/Firefox and it can make modifications to the DOM directly while in the mafiascum.net domain

I think jacksonvirgo was tryna do that, not sure how thats going now tho
osuka
osuka
he/him/his
Jack of All Trades
osuka
he/him/his
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #5 (ISO) » Mon May 08, 2023 7:16 am

Post by osuka »

In post 3, RH9 wrote: Egoing.
I might use this for the next time I mod something.
let me know how it goes!

osuka
osuka
he/him/his
Jack of All Trades
osuka
he/him/his
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #6 (ISO) » Mon May 08, 2023 7:20 am

Post by osuka »

In post 4, yessiree wrote:
In post 0, osuka wrote: available at https://github.com/fbastos1/mafiascum-m ... /tree/main pls dont dox me
HE'S FELIPE everybody his name is Felipe

jokes aside, you can process up to 200 posts at once like this, should be much fewer requests to the server
viewtopic.php?t=90886&view=print&ppp=200

how good is the username string matching algorithm you are using btw?
I gave up trying to write my own votecounter because I couldn't find a satisfactory solution without resorting to extensive configs, or venturing to NLP category (despair)

i think the CLI format is pretty user friendly already, but might still pose as a barrier to entry for a lot of non tech-savvy people, one step further u can take is a browser extension so people can install on Chrome/Firefox and it can make modifications to the DOM directly while in the mafiascum.net domain

I think jacksonvirgo was tryna do that, not sure how thats going now tho
i can patch it to use ppp - i didn't know that existed. good call!

the votecounter uses jellyfish's implementation of jaro-winkler similarity, but with a
very
high confidence threshold. it's designed to fail if it can't decide with almost near-certainty what a vote is - i wrote it that way to protect the integrity of the game and make sure that if there is a need for human intervention, that happens at the earliest possible moment rather than waiting until the moderator realizes something is wrong.

the fuzzy matching is Good Enough(tm) - it's not groundbreaking and, by design, it doesn't try all that hard to match a vote. it does fuzzy match aliases, though, so if there's a vote for an alias of a player and
that
has a typo, it should still work fine

i don't wanna do a browser extension because that's a whole lot of extra work that i don't think is gonna be all that helpful to begin with. userscript could work?

Skygazer
Skygazer
any
For My Next Guest
Skygazer
any
For My Next Guest
For My Next Guest

Post Post #7 (ISO) » Mon May 08, 2023 7:21 am

Post by Skygazer »

your linux instructions reminds me of a time i saw a project that had instructions for various distros and for gentoo it was like "you can probably figure it out on your own tbh"
i have the most queues
Skygazer
Skygazer
any
For My Next Guest
Skygazer
any
For My Next Guest
For My Next Guest

Post Post #8 (ISO) » Mon May 08, 2023 7:28 am

Post by Skygazer »

also for a sec i confused "jellyfish" wish "jellyfin" and was like damn why does this need a media server?? lol
i have the most queues
Psyche
Psyche
he/they
Survivor
Psyche
he/they
Survivor
Survivor
Pronoun: he/they

Post Post #9 (ISO) » Tue Jul 04, 2023 2:54 pm

Post by Psyche »

i have a pretty solid username matcher that i basically finetuned through brute force. is even in python! will share when i have the time
osuka
osuka
he/him/his
Jack of All Trades
osuka
he/him/his
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #10 (ISO) » Thu Jul 06, 2023 6:15 pm

Post by osuka »

In post 9, Psyche wrote: i have a pretty solid username matcher that i basically finetuned through brute force. is even in python! will share when i have the time
you should be able to patch that in relatively quickly

do you think there would be interest in importing the username matcher implementation as a module? that way if someone wants their vote counter to be more/less strict, then the counter logic itself and the formatting stuff still work, with any arbitrary implementation of a name matcher

Psyche
Psyche
he/they
Survivor
Psyche
he/they
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #11 (ISO) » Fri Jul 07, 2023 5:18 am

Post by Psyche »

Yeah, it's always been something that has come down to user preference. For my use case, it was important to be really flexible since game moderators have generally been really flexible in their votecounting.

https://github.com/Computational-Mafia/ ... Counter.py

Here's the code (very messy). I will need to remind myself of how it works, but it's like 20 if statements in a sequence that I was able to validate as reliably predicting the final flip for each day phase across ~2-300 games (who was limmed, and at what post number).

Much of it is just different applications of edit distance or educated guesses about how people will abbreviate usernames. A particularly involved trick I used is was to apply a spellchecker library to generate all possible segmentations of usernames into valid English words (in my english_divides function). This information makes it easier to predict certain kinds of abbreviations/misspellings people will use when more obvious cues like spaces/capitalizations aren't available.

A little refactoring should make it fit into your library. When I get the time...
Random Nurse
Random Nurse
He/Him
Mafia Scum
Random Nurse
He/Him
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum
Pronoun: He/Him

Post Post #12 (ISO) » Sun Jul 09, 2023 6:37 pm

Post by Random Nurse »

Can anyone here confirm that this auto votecounter is working on this site currently?
osuka
osuka
he/him/his
Jack of All Trades
osuka
he/him/his
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #13 (ISO) » Sun Jul 09, 2023 8:50 pm

Post by osuka »

In post 12, Random Nurse wrote: Can anyone here confirm that this auto votecounter is working on this site currently?
working fine for me as of about 30 seconds ago

have you had issues?

Random Nurse
Random Nurse
He/Him
Mafia Scum
Random Nurse
He/Him
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #14 (ISO) » Sun Jul 09, 2023 9:02 pm

Post by Random Nurse »

In post 13, osuka wrote:
In post 12, Random Nurse wrote: Can anyone here confirm that this auto votecounter is working on this site currently?
working fine for me as of about 30 seconds ago

have you had issues?
Haven't tried it yet, but will. Getting ready to mod another game soon.
Psyche
Psyche
he/they
Survivor
Psyche
he/they
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #15 (ISO) » Mon Jul 10, 2023 7:37 pm

Post by Psyche »

speaking of which, something that might be useful for adoption might be a webapp that people can play with to try it out. i once had something like that running in a google colab notebook
RH9
RH9
he/him
Mafia Scum
RH9
he/him
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum
Pronoun: he/him

Post Post #16 (ISO) » Fri Jul 21, 2023 11:07 pm

Post by RH9 »

In post 15, Psyche wrote: speaking of which, something that might be useful for adoption might be a webapp that people can play with to try it out. i once had something like that running in a google colab notebook
:+1:
This seems like a good idea imo.
GTKAS: 2022, 2024

v/la every weekend

indefinite hiatus from mafia solo
Random Nurse
Random Nurse
He/Him
Mafia Scum
Random Nurse
He/Him
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #17 (ISO) » Fri Jul 21, 2023 11:46 pm

Post by Random Nurse »

What if Mafiascum itself built and updated their own automatic vote counter?
Random Nurse
Random Nurse
He/Him
Mafia Scum
Random Nurse
He/Him
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #18 (ISO) » Mon Jul 24, 2023 10:37 pm

Post by Random Nurse »

For laypeople like me how exactly do I get this running? I have an HP laptop that uses Windows.
osuka
osuka
he/him/his
Jack of All Trades
osuka
he/him/his
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #19 (ISO) » Tue Jul 25, 2023 3:12 am

Post by osuka »

In post 18, Random Nurse wrote: For laypeople like me how exactly do I get this running? I have an HP laptop that uses Windows.
were the instructions in #0 hard to follow?

Random Nurse
Random Nurse
He/Him
Mafia Scum
Random Nurse
He/Him
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #20 (ISO) » Tue Jul 25, 2023 3:45 am

Post by Random Nurse »

In post 19, osuka wrote:
In post 18, Random Nurse wrote: For laypeople like me how exactly do I get this running? I have an HP laptop that uses Windows.

I'm not familiar with using Github.
osuka
osuka
he/him/his
Jack of All Trades
osuka
he/him/his
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #21 (ISO) » Tue Jul 25, 2023 1:14 pm

Post by osuka »

In post 20, Random Nurse wrote:
In post 19, osuka wrote:

I'm not familiar with using Github.
you shouldn't have to open github at all, unless you want to look at the code on your browser. Look for the spoilers in #0 - I'll quote them here but i'll also note for any future readers that this may be out of date, so you should check the OP for the most up-to-date instructions
In post 0, osuka wrote:
[...]

Remember you only need to run setup once!
Spoiler: windows
if you're on windows, you should have powershell already installed - it ships with the OS. You'll need git and python - the easiest way to install these, to me, is with chocolatey. You can follow the instructions on that page, under "individual", to install it. Once you've installed chocolatey, start powershell as admin and run:

choco install python git
python -m pip install ruamel.yaml jellyfish coloredlogs requests bs4 jinja2

now that we're done installing our dependencies, navigate to the folder you want to download the vote counter to. For example, if I want to download it into a folder called "mafiascum" under my documents folder:

cd C:\Users\osuka\Documents
mkdir mafiascum
cd mafiascum

then, download the votecounter:

git should create a new folder, mafiascum-modtools. navigate to that:

cd mafiascum-modtools

then simply write your game definition file and optionally, your template and you should be good to go! For example, I would run:

(simply substitute "mygamedefinition.yaml" and "osuka.jinja" with your game definition file and template file names, respectively)

you're all done with the setup!

to run this again after setup:

open a new powershell window and just navigate to the folder you created and run the votecounter:

cd C:\Users\osuka\Documents\mafiascum\mafiascum-modtools

git pull

[...]
if you have any questions about the instructions or any of the steps
please
let me know - i come from a technical background and i'm knee-deep in a terminal on the daily, so the real test of whether my instructions suck or not is someone who's
not
me

JacksonVirgo
JacksonVirgo
they/him
Survivor
JacksonVirgo
they/him
Survivor
Survivor
Pronoun: they/him

Post Post #22 (ISO) » Tue Aug 29, 2023 11:10 pm

Post by JacksonVirgo »

Has been a month since the last post so I'm sorry for the useless bump but I am egoposting here from the depths of hell. I have arisen
"Am I a ghost like you, caught between the seams of two intertwining melodies?"

wiki // GTKAS
Random Nurse
Random Nurse
He/Him
Mafia Scum
Random Nurse
He/Him
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #23 (ISO) » Wed Aug 30, 2023 12:26 am

Post by Random Nurse »

OK, so I don't particularly know what I'm doing here.

I have a Windows laptop and searched and found "Windows PowerShell," and ran it as an Administrator.

It's showing me this screen:

I have no idea how/where to run "Get-ExecutionPolicy."
osuka
osuka
he/him/his
Jack of All Trades
osuka
he/him/his
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #24 (ISO) » Wed Aug 30, 2023 6:40 am

Post by osuka »

In post 22, JacksonVirgo wrote: Has been a month since the last post so I'm sorry for the useless bump but I am egoposting here from the depths of hell. I have arisen
no worries - i do watch the thread to try and help anyone who wants to use it

Return to “Mafia Discussion”