Song Contest 199 (Results posted!)

This forum is for discussion about anything else.
Nexus
Nexus
He
miss
Nexus
He
miss
miss
Pronoun: He

Post Post #25 (ISO) » Fri May 05, 2023 9:45 pm

Post by Nexus »

Don't forget you also have to listen to Joulez, even though it isn't in the Spotify Playlist!
Trans rights are human rights.
ChannelDelibird
ChannelDelibird
He/they
Card Czar
ChannelDelibird
He/they
Card Czar
Card Czar
Pronoun: He/they

Post Post #26 (ISO) » Thu May 11, 2023 10:13 pm

Post by ChannelDelibird »

Sleep-deprived and in a rush this week, so notes are on the brief side.

Spoiler: Reactions
Slovenia // Soju - RedHook ft. Sly Withers

Not my genre, although I'm never going to say no to a sax break. Felt like it leant too heavily on the swearing.

Lithuania // Bocanegra - Sonido Gallo Negro

Broadly thought this was alright, particularly enjoying the percussion, but found the high hook line a bit raspy and scraping against my ears. Comfortably too long for how repetitive it was, too.

Gibraltar // Raven - Kelela

I like a slow build, although I wanted this one to be a little bit less droney than it was. Feels like it suffers for transitioning directly into the next track on the album because it left this track feeling like a bit of an orphan - it still seemed unresolved to me, like we were missing the second half of the song rather than a separate track. I liked the greater ambition of this track compared to the first two, though.

USA // Idol - Yoasobi

Percussion, you're at a 10, and I need you to be at like a 4. Everything here's just a bit busy and exhausting.

Peru // Desire Lines - Deerhunter

I liked this a lot. Lovely gaze-out-of-the-car-window guitars, lyrical themes of possibility and the roads not taken which I always enjoy, solid vocals and it definitely earned that long, hazy outro. Shocked if I don't listen to this again.

Wales // Come On Mess Me Up - Cub Sport

I wasn't sure after the first 20 seconds or so but I really warmed up to it as it went along. I was worried that it might end up going super sad-sack for the chorus but I really liked the balance of emotions that it ended up striking - particularly that clear-eyed determination. Very affecting.

Chile // Hollywood - Cigarbox Man

Not sure that the voice completely worked for me but I quite liked that the instrumentation felt a bit wriggly and hard to pin down (outside of the "light it up" refrain which went on way too long doing not much of anything). Structurally a bit disjointed in an interesting way but I don't think that the result ever lived up to the chutzpah that went into it all.

Ireland // Heal - Tom Odell

I'm not normally a huge piano-ballad person but I thought this was pretty good. The sparseness of the lyrics was well supported by the emotionally drained delivery.

Israel // Lon La-bul - Joulez

I really wish that the bass thumping was turned down, like, a full 50% because it would have ended up with a song that I'd have enjoyed quite a lot. As it was, it just got way too overbearing for me, trampling over the rest of the song.

Yemen // Pirate Blues - As Cities Burn

It was really difficult to pin down what was going on in the lyrics here; seemed like it might be a mix of the genuinely interesting and the complete nonsense? Quite liked what was going on instrumentally, though; the drums were particularly cool!

Denmark // Dust in the Wind - Kansas

I liked this alright. When the gentle bongo came in towards the end, that really highlighted to me that I'd wanted something more than just the acoustic guitar.

eSwatini // Ready Now - Dodie

I really liked the gentle backing vocals but really bristled at the clipped, ASMR-y delivery of the leads.

Oz // Bible Black - Hortus Animae

A world of no.

Mali // Angel of Death - Manchester Orchestra
(my entry!)

I'm late to discovering Manchester Orchestra but they were my favourite artist introduced to me in 2022. 2017's spectacular A Black Mile to the Surface is my favourite album of theirs but this record, The Million Masks of God, runs it pretty close, and I felt like entering something from it.

Andy Hull's voice is one that I find incredibly emotive, and he's a fascinating lyricist, but this song is all in the guitars and the drums for me. That intro is such a thrill, the moment of pause before the drums crash back in for "sleeping with the angel of death", and then the build up for the bridge is absolutely electric. Woof.

#greenshirtthursdays
Pink Ball
Pink Ball
he/him
Silver Bullet
Pink Ball
he/him
Silver Bullet
Silver Bullet
Pronoun: he/him

Post Post #27 (ISO) » Fri May 12, 2023 3:39 am

Post by Pink Ball »

Spoiler: Sall good, man
Slovenia

RedHook ft. Sly Withers - Soju

Catchy, I guess, but not my cup of tea. 12 year old me would be probably listening to this like a guilty pleasure.
Score: 3 out of 10
Lithuania

Sonido Gallo Negro - Bocanegra

It gave me high hopes when it started, but it got too repetitive. I'm too used to cumbias and far better than this one in particular, but I'll give the band a try because the sound mix is neat.
Score: 4 out of 10
Gibraltar

Kelela - Raven

Great atmospheric song. I dislike the ending (the last 30 seconds, not that it ends abruptly). A little dull when hearing it focused on it, but it's really good for doing other things at the same time.
Score: 5 out of 10
USA

Yoasobi - Idol

Meh, once again, not for me. Has some interesting elements, the key changes along the song are interesting enough to make me want to listen it until the end, but too "Dance Dance Revolution" for me.
Score: 3 out of 10
Peru

Deerhunter - Desire Lines

Nice tune, I started liking it more when the singer stopped singing which is not the best of signs, but overall I liked it
Score: 6 out of 10
Wales

Cub Sport - Come On Mess Me Up

Not bad at all! I like how the verses and the chorus are juxtaposed in a way that makes the chorus more powerful and impactful, it delivers what it's trying to portrait. The voice, however, even if matches the song at certain points, feels too forced and muddens the feeling that is trying to convey.
Score: 7 out of 10
Chile

Cigarbox Man - Hollywood

We know each other from college and I've had one of the best conversations about music with him. I really like his musical proposal and how it has evolved, so hopefully you like it too! I don't like too much this song in particular, but instead of bringing the ones I like the most, I went for one of the last ones he has released.
Score: Chile out of 10
Ireland

Tom Odell - Heal

See, in contrast with what I said about the singer of Cub Sport, Tom sings with genuine feeling. Beautiful tune, good decision to keep it simple. I like it. I'm not particularly in a sad mood so I feel like a stranger to this song, but I know that I would've appreciated listening to this song in the past.
Score: 9 out of 10
Israel

Joulez - Lon La-Bul

Maybe in another context? Not for actually sitting down and listening to it, for me at least. It has some redeeming qualities, but having reedeming qualities is the result of not being good enough in the first place.
Score: 2 out of 10
Yemen

As Cities Burn - Pirate Blues

Cool one, I don't really have anything to say about it other than that I liked it
Score: 8 out of 10
Denmark

Kansas - Dust In The Wind

I mean sure, I'll listen to it again and it's probably the best song of the bunch (I still have three pending), but I listen to this song frequently enough to not want to listen it in this context. I really love the song though, it was the second song I learnt to play on the guitar.
Score: 10 out of 10
eSwatini

Dodie - Ready Now

"and together we sang…"? No we didn't, you're not singing, you're barely speaking. Gentle and soft voice, but for fucks sake, sing! (Cute tune and lyrics, not my favourite style but I know a couple of friends who'd probably love this if they haven't listened to it yet)
Score: 6 out of 10
Oz

Hortus Animae - Bible Black

Oh
Score: 1 out of 10
Mali

Manchester Orchestra - Angel Of Death

Loved it until the 4 minute mark, I think they overextended it, but they sound REALLY good, the bassist killed it
Score: 9 out of 10
Skygazer
Skygazer
any
For My Next Guest
Skygazer
any
For My Next Guest
For My Next Guest
Pronoun: any

Post Post #28 (ISO) » Fri May 12, 2023 2:49 pm

Post by Skygazer »

listenin tomorrow but clearly none of u have been subjected to minimalism in undergrad

repetition does not phase me anymore ig
i have the most queues
replacement queue | upick queue
Skygazer
Skygazer
any
For My Next Guest
Skygazer
any
For My Next Guest
For My Next Guest

Post Post #29 (ISO) » Fri May 12, 2023 2:49 pm

Post by Skygazer »

in fact i find some comfort in it
i have the most queues
BS2000
BS2000
Goon
BS2000
Goon
Goon

Post Post #30 (ISO) » Sat May 13, 2023 7:09 am

Post by BS2000 »

Spoiler: how I voted
1st: Sonido Gallo Negro-Bocanegra
I had a feeling I would enjoy this just based on pic/band/song title alone, and I was not wrong. This is wonderful. I can see from the sidebar (which shame on me for being distracted by that annoying sidebar I try to remember to put on theater mode or whatever) that they have a set on KEXP and I need to save that to my watch later for sure. These are the kinds of songs I wish I could live inside.

2nd: Dodie-Ready Now
Mmmmmmmm.....Hmmmmmmm.... Oh a very gentle and loudly quiet voice. Wasn't expecting that and I really like this.

3rd: As Cities Burn-Pirate Blues
This guy's voice is very angsty, but the music doesn't reflect that surprisingly. Oh wait is this sailor/mariner/seafarer music? There's always one sea shanty or whatever song in these contests and I was fooled at first. This isn't bad, maybe a lazy comparison but parts of this kinda reminds me of like Blue Album era Weezer. Oh and now it gets rockin' Wow this is really good actually.

4th: Kelela-Raven
I think I tried this album earlier in the year, and it didn't quite stick with me. Enjoying the minimal synth happening. Then the last minute the drums come in and it's really good. Maybe should give this album another try. And then a humorously abrupt end which probably works with the next song

5th: Yoasobi-Idol
This is kinda fun and slightly different for the genre. Seems like there are a lot of
hooks happening throughout. Smetimes I wish songs like these didn't have a repeating chorus. Always feels like the least interesting part to me.

6th: Kansas-Dust in the Wind
Ahh a classic. I actually really enjoy listening to common songs in this context. I think honestly what makes this song is the violin part. And I don't think I ever noticed the little bits of percussion at the end before.

7th: Manchester Orchestra-Angel of Death
One of those bands that I've seen mentioned a thousand times but have never properly tried out. For some reason I thought they were more like post-rock, this is surprisingly straight-forward. Not bad.

8th: Cigarbox Man-Hollywood
Was kinda feeling this song until the whoa-oh-oh-ohs tbh. It's got a nice vibe to it despite being unremarkable.

9th: Cub Sport-Come On Mess Me Up
This was ok. Probably something that rewards multiple listens

10th: Hortus Animae-Bible Black
uurrrrrrrrr......grrrrrrrr.....yerrrrrrrr....I always write the same things with most of the metal songs submitted. Not my bag but I can respect it. This song has some midi synthy orchestral sounds in it. And the guitars are...thrashy? I do love the wild sub-genre horticulture that metal has, matched only by electronic music. Oooh some violin or somesuch, that's a fun touch. My favorite part is still the huuurrrrrr......werrrrrrr parts.

11th: Joulez-Lon La bul
Ooh a pretty fast tempo after that lil intro. Very dramatic. I cannot hear that blunt heartbeat sounding bass drum pounding and not think of DDR, and I apologize for that. Otherwise this sadly didn't do much for me.

12th: Tom Odell-Heal
Lots of gentle songs this round. I think I prefer gal singers doing gentle ballads then dudes.

13th: RedHook-Soju
Yeah I think I'm like 20 years too old for this. I do like the sax solo tho.
i was going to learn the keyboard and write several ballads
But i went to a barbeque and got lost by the tater salad
Merlyn
Merlyn
she/her
Mafia Scum
Merlyn
she/her
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum
Pronoun: she/her

Post Post #31 (ISO) » Sat May 13, 2023 4:44 pm

Post by Merlyn »

Spoiler: so many good songs!

Gibraltar- Raven- Kelela has a magical voice, I love everything she does. Raven is a great song, the slow build to the fast tempo is *chefs kiss*

USA- Idol- I like the message of the song (at least in the translated lyrics I looked up) on the dark side of being an idol

Peru- Desire lines- great beat, great lyrics, and that last instrumental half is fantastic.

Wales- Come on Mess Me Up- This song is right up my alley. I found out the writer and singer wrote this about how hard it is to follow your passion sometimes, I feel that. Beautiful voice too!

Chile- Hollywood- kind of reminds me of Jakob Dylan, I feel like they’d be fun to go see in person

Ireland- Heal- I’ve been a fan of this song for a while. Simple, haunting.

Israel- Lon La-bul- fun beat, wish I knew more about the lyrics.

Yemen- Pirate Blues, fantastic guitar, I enjoy song that sound upbeat until you listen to the words

Denmark- Dust in the Wind- this was mine. I have great memories of this song because they played it on the Highlander tv series lol. I’ll always think it’s beautiful.

eSwatini- Ready Now- perfect antidote to all the angst I normally listen to! Lovely

Oz- Bible Black- great guitar, the voice is not my fav

Mali- Angel of Death- great song! Added to my playlist. :D
Merlyn
Merlyn
she/her
Mafia Scum
Merlyn
she/her
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #32 (ISO) » Sat May 13, 2023 4:46 pm

Post by Merlyn »

Spoiler: now with ALL the songs!

Slovenia- Soju- I loved it- a 90’s alt rock vibe with a freaking sax solo?! Yes please.

Lithuania- Bocanegra- great vibe, makes me think of riding in the desert on a hot endless day. Glad to add this group to my playlists!

Gibraltar- Raven- Kelela has a magical voice, I love everything she does. Raven is a great song, the slow build to the fast tempo is *chefs kiss*

USA- Idol- I like the message of the song (at least in the translated lyrics I looked up) on the dark side of being an idol

Peru- Desire lines- great beat, great lyrics, and that last instrumental half is fantastic.

Wales- Come on Mess Me Up- This song is right up my alley. I found out the writer and singer wrote this about how hard it is to follow your passion sometimes, I feel that. Beautiful voice too!

Chile- Hollywood- kind of reminds me of Jakob Dylan, I feel like they’d be fun to go see in person

Ireland- Heal- I’ve been a fan of this song for a while. Simple, haunting.

Israel- Lon La-bul- fun beat, wish I knew more about the lyrics.

Yemen- Pirate Blues, fantastic guitar, I enjoy song that sound upbeat until you listen to the words

Denmark- Dust in the Wind- this was mine. I have great memories of this song because they played it on the Highlander tv series lol. I’ll always think it’s beautiful.

eSwatini- Ready Now- perfect antidote to all the angst I normally listen to! Lovely

Oz- Bible Black- great guitar, the voice is not my fav

Mali- Angel of Death- great song! Added to my playlist. :D
ChannelDelibird
ChannelDelibird
He/they
Card Czar
ChannelDelibird
He/they
Card Czar
Card Czar
Pronoun: He/they

Post Post #33 (ISO) » Sat May 13, 2023 9:42 pm

Post by ChannelDelibird »

EDIT: wrong account
#greenshirtthursdays
Song Contest
Song Contest
Townie
Song Contest
Townie
Townie

Post Post #34 (ISO) » Sat May 13, 2023 9:43 pm

Post by Song Contest »

Mali

ChannelDelibird

12 - Peru
10 - Wales
8 - Yemen
7 - Ireland
6 - Denmark
5 - Chile
4 - eSwatini
3 - Israel
2 - Gibraltar
1 - Lithuania

Wales

DeasVail

12 - eSwatini
10 - Ireland
8 - Gibraltar
7 - Mali
6 - Yemen
5 - Chile
4 - Denmark
3 - Peru
2 - USA
1 - Lithuania

USA

pickemgenius

12 - Yemen
10 - Slovenia
8 - Chile
7 - Oz
6 - Mali
5 - Denmark
4 - Peru
3 - Israel
2 - Wales
1 - Gibraltar

Lithuania

skygazer

12 - Chile
10 - Gibraltar
8 - eSwatini
7 - Peru
6 - Israel
5 - Denmark
4 - Wales
3 - Yemen
2 - Oz
1 - Mali

Current Scores:

30 Chile
29 Yemen
26 Peru
24 eSwatini
21 Gibraltar
20 Denmark
17 Ireland
16 Wales
14 Mali
12 Israel
10 Slovenia
9 Oz
2 USA
2 Lithuania
Song Contest
Song Contest
Townie
Song Contest
Townie
Townie

Post Post #35 (ISO) » Sat May 13, 2023 9:45 pm

Post by Song Contest »

Ireland

emrysmoonchild

12 - Mali
10 - Slovenia
8 - Yemen
7 - Gibraltar
6 - Wales
5 - eSwatini
4 - Israel
3 - Oz
2 - USA
1 - Peru

Peru

BS2000

12 - Lithuania
10 - eSwatini
8 - Yemen
7 - Gibraltar
6 - USA
5 - Denmark
4 - Mali
3 - Chile
2 - Wales
1 - Oz

Denmark

Merlyn

12 - Gibraltar
10 - Slovenia
8 - Lithuania
7 - Wales
6 - Peru
5 - Ireland
4 - eSwatini
3 - Mali
2 - Yemen
1 - USA

Israel

Empathice

12 - Mali
10 - Peru
8 - Wales
7 - Denmark
6 - Yemen
5 - Ireland
4 - Lithuania
3 - Chile
2 - Oz
1 - USA

Current Scores:

53 Yemen
47 Gibraltar
45 Mali
43 eSwatini
43 Peru
39 Wales
36 Chile
32 Denmark
30 Slovenia
27 Ireland
26 Lithuania
16 Israel
15 Oz
12 USA
Song Contest
Song Contest
Townie
Song Contest
Townie
Townie

Post Post #36 (ISO) » Sat May 13, 2023 10:09 pm

Post by Song Contest »

Chile

Pink Ball

12 - Ireland
10 - Mali
8 - Denmark
7 - Yemen
6 - Wales
5 - Peru
4 - eSwatini
3 - Gibraltar
2 - Lithuania
1 - USA

eSwatini

Aristophanes

12 - Denmark
10 - Wales
8 - USA
7 - Slovenia
6 - Chile
5 - Mali
4 - Lithuania
3 - Israel
2 - Gibraltar
1 - Ireland

Slovenia

Nexus

12 - Gibraltar
10 - Peru
8 - Wales
7 - Chile
6 - Yemen
5 - eSwatini
4 - Mali
3 - Oz
2 - USA
1 - Israel

Oz

biancospino

12 - Slovenia
10 - Lithuania
8 - eSwatini
7 - Gibraltar
6 - USA
5 - Yemen
4 - Chile
3 - Mali
2 - Wales
1 - Israel

Final Scores:

67 Mali

65 Wales

60 eSwatini

59 Gibraltar
59 Yemen

58 Peru
53 Chile
52 Denmark
49 Slovenia
42 Lithuania

40 Ireland
29 USA
21 Israel
18 Oz

Congratulations to ChannelDelibird!

Infinity 324 (Gibraltar) and toolenduso (Yemen) failed to vote! They take a 12-point penalty and must untangle an eternally re-twisting knot until they are judged to be sufficiently repentant.
Song Contest
Song Contest
Townie
Song Contest
Townie
Townie

Post Post #37 (ISO) » Sat May 13, 2023 10:11 pm

Post by Song Contest »

Aristophanes
Aristophanes
He/Him
Mr. Blue Sky
Aristophanes
He/Him
Mr. Blue Sky
Mr. Blue Sky
Pronoun: He/Him

Post Post #38 (ISO) » Sat May 13, 2023 11:19 pm

Post by Aristophanes »

That was a tight battle for third! Good entries everyone, this was a great contest to return to! :)
Half meme, Half real, All Aristophanes ;)
- Jingle
Ari has appeared way too competent for me to even pretend to know what they're thinking
- MooseEatsBear on discord mafia
it wouldn’t be an ari sig unless it takes up half the screen on mobile - Vonflare
Pink Ball
Pink Ball
he/him
Silver Bullet
Pink Ball
he/him
Silver Bullet
Silver Bullet

Post Post #39 (ISO) » Sun May 14, 2023 12:55 am

Post by Pink Ball »

In post 29, Skygazer wrote: in fact i find some comfort in it
I do too!! I think this song in particular wasn’t meant to be repetitive because of the rythm
Merlyn
Merlyn
she/her
Mafia Scum
Merlyn
she/her
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #40 (ISO) » Sun May 14, 2023 3:00 am

Post by Merlyn »

thanks everyone, I added so many songs and artists to my playlists with this one!
Skygazer
Skygazer
any
For My Next Guest
Skygazer
any
For My Next Guest
For My Next Guest

Post Post #41 (ISO) » Sun May 14, 2023 3:05 am

Post by Skygazer »

after some pondering i think the song works in my mind bc it goes from like a slow cumbia to a fast cumbia on the album and when the speed kicks in im just kind of like "yes!!" but also historically this album has been like a "get high w my friend" album and mayb that played a part in me getting used to the repetition.

not me being overly defensive of my music taste :shifty:

where in Chile are you from! my best friend is from Santiago
i have the most queues
Pink Ball
Pink Ball
he/him
Silver Bullet
Pink Ball
he/him
Silver Bullet
Silver Bullet

Post Post #42 (ISO) » Sun May 14, 2023 4:31 am

Post by Pink Ball »

I’ll give the album a try! As I said, I really liked the mix quality so maybe the album as a whole is better than each part individually.

I’m from Santiago too, but living in Puerto Varas for almost 2 years now!
toolenduso
toolenduso
Mafia Scum
toolenduso
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #43 (ISO) » Mon May 15, 2023 4:40 am

Post by toolenduso »

Oh my god I completely forgot about this and my song would've won if I'd voted!!!!!!!!!!

Sheesh
"Half of the game is figuring out who the scum is. The other half is convincing everyone else that you're right." -- PlaysWithSquirrels, in Newbie 437
emrysmoonchild
emrysmoonchild
Townie
emrysmoonchild
Townie
Townie

Post Post #44 (ISO) » Tue May 16, 2023 7:07 am

Post by emrysmoonchild »

In post 24, Aristophanes wrote: You have such nice things to say about everything! It's wonderful to see!

That used to be me, I'm not sure what happened hahaha

I'm glad you enjoyed my entry
After reading your reviews I kinda want to relisten to a few and give them another chance because I'm definitely missing something about them.
In post 19, emrysmoonchild wrote: I’d listen to this on repeat.

I did, in fact, listen to your song on repeat. The way she pronounces "I have a plan," is just so DISTINCT. Makes me smile every time.

And thank you!! I really enjoyed these songs, and I'm glad that came through. I hope you had a good experience relistening to them. I've gone back to the playlist quite a few times.

Return to “General Discussion”