Polymath
implosion
he/him
Polymath
Polymath
Pronoun: he/him

Post Post #15 (isolation #2) » Wed May 17, 2023 11:32 am

Post by implosion »

What elicited the "Hmmm" if not a pause to ponder?
implosion
implosion
he/him
Polymath
implosion
he/him
Polymath
Polymath

Post Post #20 (isolation #3) » Wed May 17, 2023 6:21 pm

Post by implosion »

I actually got kind of obsessed with that song like, less than a month ago. Don't like that version very much though, the repetition is kind of too much for my taste.
implosion
implosion
he/him
Polymath
implosion
he/him
Polymath
Polymath

Post Post #27 (isolation #4) » Thu May 18, 2023 4:44 pm

Post by implosion »

Well this game is off to an absolutely raucous start. Clearly both scum are in the lurkers.
implosion
implosion
he/him
Polymath
implosion
he/him
Polymath
Polymath

Post Post #54 (isolation #5) » Sun May 21, 2023 12:32 pm

Post by implosion »

Consider me to be voting redFF unless given a very good reason not to but wanting today to last more than one day.

Dead tracker means we either have a follower or a vanilla cop, and either way any non-default result from the remaining PR is a guilty.
implosion
implosion
he/him
Polymath
implosion
he/him
Polymath
Polymath

Post Post #64 (isolation #6) » Sun May 21, 2023 9:57 pm

Post by implosion »

I have really very little idea what I've done that ought to garner a townread.

I agree with Meg that my initial inclination is that Bulge's e-1 is slightly more likely town than scum, the hammer is more concerning.

I don't see much especially else yet that makes me feel strongly about anyone's alignment. Dunn's posting is fine but can certainly come from scum. Asri's is somewhat hard to parse, but certainly some of their opinions feel somewhat out of nowhere; I don't see any particular reason to consider Bulge scummier than redFF and I'm curious on their reasoning there. I also don't
especially
like calling me/Dunn town but it's definitely not impossible for town to have those reads.
implosion
implosion
he/him
Polymath
implosion
he/him
Polymath
Polymath

Post Post #65 (isolation #7) » Sun May 21, 2023 10:01 pm

Post by implosion »

Actually Umlaut's play reads as possibly from scum to me. The specific question they asked Bulge of "how serious was your vote" feels kind of filler. I feel like it's pretty obvious that e-1 in post 35 on someone who has made one post is not supposed to be serious, and I'm not sure what Umlaut expects to get out of an answer to that question.
implosion
implosion
he/him
Polymath
implosion
he/him
Polymath
Polymath

Post Post #87 (isolation #8) » Mon May 22, 2023 7:39 am

Post by implosion »

In post 80, redFF wrote:
In post 61, Dunnstral wrote: I'm looking at redFF's posts on site and they seem to try in games. Like they have thought put into their posts. And in this game I am instead getting a trolly vibe which doesn't match with what I am seeing. What is up with that?
Terrible post, we are 3 pages into the game. Scumread.
I mean... do you disagree that you've given off that vibe? I feel like hammering five minutes after reading your role PM is enough to singlehandedly conclude that you aren't really trying, and is enough to singlehandedly conclude that you have a trolly vibe, page count be damned.

Like,
you
are the one who caused day 2 to start on page 2, and now you're criticizing someone for making conclusions about you based on your day 1 play?
implosion
implosion
he/him
Polymath
implosion
he/him
Polymath
Polymath

Post Post #107 (isolation #9) » Tue May 23, 2023 6:31 am

Post by implosion »

Eh, post 87 is me agreeing that red is being trolly in this game. I don't think that's a great reason to scumread them unless red also has a history of acting trolly as scum; if red has been serious in 100% of games up to this point and then suddenly does this in this game, I don't think that'd come from scum especially more often than from town, I think that sort of drastic departure is something scum might be scared to do. But that's beside the point because I don't think red viewed it as a drastic departure from their meta.

The better reason to scumread red is simple: they quickhammered. Quickhammering is pro-scum. Beyond it being a reason to read red as scum, we shouldn't let someone get away with it for no reason. red is saying no harm was done because it was a VT, but is ignoring two other very important harms: the harm of removing all communication from the town on day one, and the harm of poisoning their own slot and forcing all discourse to center around it for the time being. We now have this looming question of "do we punish the quickhammer before doing anything else?" And red, if town, has to have known that we might just lim them next for the quickhammer, which would leave us in elo.
implosion
implosion
he/him
Polymath
implosion
he/him
Polymath
Polymath

Post Post #108 (isolation #10) » Tue May 23, 2023 6:44 am

Post by implosion »

I honestly don't have like any interest in the red's-meta discussion for the above reasons, I think there's better uses of all of our time. Some things I wouldn't mind hearing from red: do you prefer town or scum? Did you make any considerations about impact on the game whatsoever before quickhammering, or did you just see the opportunity and impulsively take it?
In post 91, Umlaut wrote: After thinking about the people on yesterday's wagon a little more:
  • Moderate townread on Dunnstral for not just saying "red is scummy because hammer" but actually doing the homework to verify this isn't their usual game.
  • Implo seems to be trying at least so gets some town points for that. I overall like and while I'm not thrilled with ("possibly from scum" is a pretty weak claim, every post in the game is possibly from scum; do you think I'm scummy or not?) it did get a brief discussion going which is a pro-town move overall.
  • Bulge's response to me in is satisfactory. I can't put too much weight on it since I already sort of pointed to the right answer ("I wanted to make things happen") but it still is the right answer. Also I sort of think it would be hard for scum to write that they found a page 2 quickhammer on town "funny" without feeling very self-conscious about it.
If we're looking for scum on the wagon I'd look in red (obviously) and Meg. I can't complain about any of Meg's posts but there isn't enough there to support a townread.
This analysis all feels a bit rote except for the comment on Bulge finding the quickhammer funny (which I also agree with, I think Bulge is fairly town for that and other reasons). It's sort of just commenting on the things that are obligatory to comment on, and commenting on them in the obligatory way.

I don't even know why trying per se in this gamestate to the extent Dunn or I have should be town-indicative, this gamestate is probably easy as heck to play in as scum. In particular it's not hard as scum to look at like one game of meta and draw a conclusion from that. This makes the analysis on the two of us feel very surface level. The "possibly from scum" thing is also very surface level (and granted I've made analysis like that before) but yeah, in context I think it's pretty clear that the phrase "possibly from scum" means "here's a thing that I think is scum-indicative, but probably quite weakly".
implosion
implosion
he/him
Polymath
implosion
he/him
Polymath
Polymath

Post Post #109 (isolation #11) » Tue May 23, 2023 6:47 am

Post by implosion »

Asri, can you explain your Bulge scumread?
implosion
implosion
he/him
Polymath
implosion
he/him
Polymath
Polymath

Post Post #114 (isolation #12) » Tue May 23, 2023 11:04 am

Post by implosion »

In post 113, Asri Teroka wrote: Felt bad I guess to this one.
This is an inadequate explanation.
In post 112, Umlaut wrote: It's clearly not obligatory to comment on anything since no one else seemed to be doing it. Like, what deep analysis are you looking for me to provide of a game where no one has posted in 12 hours and roughly half the players have fewer posts than the mod?
Obligatory in the sense of busywork that scum will feel obligated to do; scum need to give content and the obvious thing to give content on is the wagon and the obvious thing to say about the wagon is that red is scum and the people on the wagon who are now giving content are town. It's not that I expect deeper analysis per se. It's more that reads to me somewhat as saying things because one must say things in a game of mafia. And again I did like the comment on Bulge.

To be clear this is not a strong scumread.
implosion
implosion
he/him
Polymath
implosion
he/him
Polymath
Polymath

Post Post #115 (isolation #13) » Tue May 23, 2023 11:05 am

Post by implosion »

In post 111, redFF wrote: I prefer town. I haven't played scum since my comeback, so many many years, but I always got nervous.
Regarding quickhammering, no. I just did it to do it.
Do you think you'd have done it as scum?
implosion
implosion
he/him
Polymath
implosion
he/him
Polymath
Polymath

Post Post #117 (isolation #14) » Tue May 23, 2023 9:35 pm

Post by implosion »

Dunn, do you actually scumread redFF for the trolly vibe? Or is it just an observation you're not sure what to make of? It seems implicit that it's a scumread but I don't think it's been made explicit, and you started it off by asking "what's up with that" rhetorically. If you do scumread red, is it based entirely on that, or do you also scumread the quickhammer for being a quickhammer/scumread red for other things?
implosion
implosion
he/him
Polymath
implosion
he/him
Polymath
Polymath

Post Post #127 (isolation #15) » Wed May 24, 2023 6:31 am

Post by implosion »

In post 120, Asri Teroka wrote: This one disagrees. If someone felt scummy they feel scummy. Looking back on what bulge has said and done, this one persists.
This is still strictly inadequate. What things that Bulge has said and done? Do you have any interest whatsoever in convincing other people that Bulge is scummy? Because you've called me town, and I've called Bulge town, so in principle if you believe in your reads then it'd be good for you to convince me that I'm wrong.
implosion
implosion
he/him
Polymath
implosion
he/him
Polymath
Polymath

Post Post #133 (isolation #16) » Wed May 24, 2023 10:32 am

Post by implosion »

Soft town on Dunn.
In post 130, Asri Teroka wrote: This one has no need to bow to your conception of 'adequacy.'
You don't need to, but I personally find that mafia as a game is generally more enjoyable for everyone when people are open about their thought processes. You're free to enjoy the game in different ways than me, but if you staunchly refuse to answer seemingly very simple questions like "where is this read coming from", I hope you can understand why I'd find that frustrating and that I'm not going to put any stock whatsoever in your read.
implosion
implosion
he/him
Polymath
implosion
he/him
Polymath
Polymath

Post Post #142 (isolation #17) » Thu May 25, 2023 4:36 pm

Post by implosion »

I kind of feel like if this is the pace the game's gonna be going at we should just lim red and accept whatever fate that leads us to.
implosion
implosion
he/him
Polymath
implosion
he/him
Polymath
Polymath

Post Post #149 (isolation #18) » Thu May 25, 2023 8:21 pm

Post by implosion »

eh, Asri can be softly town.
implosion
implosion
he/him
Polymath
implosion
he/him
Polymath
Polymath

Post Post #161 (isolation #19) » Fri May 26, 2023 9:22 pm

Post by implosion »

Umalaut's two posts on this page are not bad.

Vaguely thinking the most likely scumteam in the game is red/Meg.
implosion
implosion
he/him
Polymath
implosion
he/him
Polymath
Polymath

Post Post #179 (isolation #20) » Sat May 27, 2023 6:55 am

Post by implosion »

I'll vote red probably like sometime today. I think if they're scum it's like 50/50 that we'll see a selfhammer so I don't want to invite that without giving people a chance to say they want more time for something today.
implosion
implosion
he/him
Polymath
implosion
he/him
Polymath
Polymath

Post Post #180 (isolation #21) » Sat May 27, 2023 6:55 am

Post by implosion »

I realize I used the word "today" twice in that post; the first one is real-life day, the second is game-day
implosion
implosion
he/him
Polymath
implosion
he/him
Polymath
Polymath

Post Post #192 (isolation #22) » Sat May 27, 2023 7:50 pm

Post by implosion »

I think it's perfectly possible for red-scum to claim VT here.

I'll probably hammer at... some point. unexpectedly. or maybe just if the day still seems dead later, i'm really lazy about voting/hammering sometimes.
implosion
implosion
he/him
Polymath
implosion
he/him
Polymath
Polymath

Post Post #198 (isolation #23) » Sun May 28, 2023 5:42 pm

Post by implosion »

In post 194, The Bulge wrote:
In post 192, implosion wrote: I think it's perfectly possible for red-scum to claim VT here.

I'll probably hammer at... some point. unexpectedly. or maybe just if the day still seems dead later, i'm really lazy about voting/hammering sometimes.
perfectly possible sure but its a big missed opportunity
Idk, I'm kind of uninterested in pursuing another claim and narrowing down the pool on our probably-useful other PR. red could easily just think that their scumbuddy isn't winning it and that they need to stay alive as long as possible.

Like yeah, I agree "proper" play for red-scum here would be to claim PR but I think historically factually, plenty of scum have been in situations similar to red's and claimed VT.
implosion
implosion
he/him
Polymath
implosion
he/him
Polymath
Polymath

Post Post #205 (isolation #24) » Mon May 29, 2023 1:28 pm

Post by implosion »

Yeah this is slow enough that I'm just doing it.

VOTE: redFF

I think there'll be more to say on possible teams tomorrow but I don't see much reason to say more before tomorrow.

Return to “Central Park [Open Games]”