Song Contest 200 (Results posted)

This forum is for discussion about anything else.
ChannelDelibird
ChannelDelibird
He/they
Card Czar
ChannelDelibird
He/they
Card Czar
Card Czar
Pronoun: He/they

Post Post #25 (ISO) » Tue May 23, 2023 8:05 pm

Post by ChannelDelibird »

Good chance that contest publication will be slightly delayed due to a family thing, but do make sure to get in those last-minute entries.
#greenshirtthursdays
biancospino
biancospino
he/she
compulsive complex Inventor
biancospino
he/she
Pronoun: he/she

Post Post #26 (ISO) » Wed May 24, 2023 6:26 am

Post by biancospino »

/in
Searl
Searl
He/Him
Townie
Searl
He/Him
Townie
Townie
Pronoun: He/Him

Post Post #27 (ISO) » Wed May 24, 2023 9:13 am

Post by Searl »

/in
MiniDeathStar
MiniDeathStar
she/her
Mafia Scum
MiniDeathStar
she/her
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum
Pronoun: she/her

Post Post #28 (ISO) » Wed May 24, 2023 10:42 pm

Post by MiniDeathStar »

/in!
Song Contest
Song Contest
Townie
Song Contest
Townie
Townie

Post Post #29 (ISO) » Thu May 25, 2023 9:26 pm

Post by Song Contest »

Entries are up! Thanks for your patience.
ChannelDelibird
ChannelDelibird
He/they
Card Czar
ChannelDelibird
He/they
Card Czar
Card Czar
Pronoun: He/they

Post Post #30 (ISO) » Thu May 25, 2023 9:26 pm

Post by ChannelDelibird »

Obviously I had to take the opportunity to go all the way back to SC1 with my entry here.
#greenshirtthursdays
Thestatusquo
Thestatusquo
He/Him
Shea

Thestatusquo
He/Him
Shea

Shea

Post Post #31 (ISO) » Sat May 27, 2023 4:38 am

Post by Thestatusquo »

Voting complete. You all like...interesting music.
tout comprendre c'est tout pardonner
Aristophanes
Aristophanes
He/Him
Mr. Blue Sky
Aristophanes
He/Him
Mr. Blue Sky
Mr. Blue Sky

Post Post #32 (ISO) » Sat May 27, 2023 10:11 pm

Post by Aristophanes »

Spoiler: Happy 200th! =D

Sweden: Vintersorg - Lavin
The intro sets such a mood, I really like it. Great setting up of the cold woods feeling.

The vocals...I don't hate. And that's saying a lot for this style of music. It's so often not my thing, but they're actually singing and the harmonies/powerchords(?) are well used here.
The guitar break was a bit much for me, as was the annoying drum/scream break around the 3:30 mark.

HOnestly, this could be one of the highest ranking songs of this ilk that I've come across, depending on the rest of the contest of course. Save for the few parts listed above, I would almost say I liked this :O The outro could definitely be tightened up though

Slovenia: Scene Queen - 18+
Is this what Punk sounds like nowadays?

I uh, I don't know what to say. It's like Rebecca Black trying to be an edgy Avril Lavigne.

The jump from "I'm sick of good people being overlooked" to "stop being a pedophile" is jarring and makes little sense from how it is presented.

And like, I know people went off on Olivia Rodrigo for saying "Fuck" in Driver's License because she came off as if she was trying too hard to show she's a grown up. I feel like this is the epitome of trying to sound more grown up and political than you are and makes the other example laughable.

eSwatini: The Irish Descendants - Catch the Wind
This one's mine :)

I love how they portray this desire for love in such a specific way. This longing that they know is fleeting, untenable, yet so desired.
And the instrumentation I just love! The whole thing paints such a perfect picture of what they are going for and it's so lovely but sad.

I actually have been meaning to reexplore my Irish/Celtic/folk music as it used to be the majority of what I listened to and it is so good at emoting this feeling of longing. I may start a bit of a series of submissions here, we'll see.

Mali: Richard Hawley - Standing at the Sky's Edge
Ooo! This is moody and broody!

I love the reverb of the voice into the space of this song! It gives such an empty feeling, like a large abyss these poor souls are trapped in.
The build up to the instrumental is great and the shape of this piece is really round and complete.

It's giving my Alice Cooper Welcome to my Nightmare vibes. Honestly, I love it!

Using biblical names for the people in the story is such a good way to create a tension. It's subtle but striking.

Israel: Sunhiausa - Emotional Echoes
ASMR whispering to future techno to DDR fantasy was not what I expected!

I couldn't help grooving with this though, even when it sounded like it was sending a fax. Even when it started Space Invaders firing for its life. It's got a weird grooving power in its choppiness that I inexplicably enjoyed.

Alpha Centauri: Adagio - The Mirror Stage
I'm pretty torn on this one.

On the one hand, the vocal parts are nice and smooth.

On the other hand, the song just breaks down every time the instruments get a chance to do anything, adding polyrhythms and dissonance and just feeling too intentional.
That might be what bugs me about this, how it sounds too intentional when doing things, like it's music theory, or I guess an attempt to provoke classical music theory.

It's the same problem I have with Schoenberg. It's just trying too hard to break out of the norms and that makes it less enjoyable.

Peru: Liars - Brats
What kind of drug induced looney tunes music video is this!?
I uh, paused it at the wrong moment to type that and...yeah. I may spoiler that image at the end of this. It's something.

Anyway, I guess I should focus on the song. I don't get it. I don't understand it. I don't understand them. I feel like it was all just noise for noise's sake. Cacophonous just because they can. Something I might leave a room if it is playing type noise.

I'm sorry to whomever submitted this, I just really do not understand.

Canada: Polkadot Stingray - Telecaster Stripe
This was fun! I liked her voice a lot, it fit well with the whole song and kept things lighter than I usually find songs that are this rocky to be.
The video concept with the costume changes in this Narnia washing machine thing was neat as well.

Iran: Circa Survive - Get Out
See, now this is a voice that is harsher and makes the rockiness of this song so much harder, not to mention the screechy electric guitars and pounding drums.
It's definitely not my thing. I don't know how to say that this would be better if it want fuller emo and less metal and have it make sense, but it's like right in the middle and doesn't feel right for either. If it leaned into the emo side a but more, I'd probably like it. It's just not quite right where it sits.

Iceland: Kate Bush - Get Out of My House
Get out, then Get out of my House. Was that purposeful? haha

What a unique sound. The vocals remind me of a musical, very dramatic. The backup music screaming thing is very off-putting though. It's an interesting combination.
I find myself distracted by the screams every time they come in though and it distracts from whatever I'm supposed to be getting from this though.
The whispering has a similar issue, it's too subtle or weirdly annunciated or something.

And I have no clue why they became donkeys three quarters of the way in and ended with the Chacarron

Wales: The Preatures - Is This How You Feel?
This is groovy! I really like her voice and the two of them together have such a nice sound.

Like, this is good overall. The way she slides into her high notes is so smooth it brings it to a whole other level for me. I'll definitely be listening to more of their catalogue if it's anything like this.

Gibraltar: JID - 2007
This sounds like he found some old diaries and decided to read the Coles Notes version to us.

I read the blurb in the video and I get that it's kind of the point of the song but that doesn't make it better.

"This my son. He came from deez nuts."
I have to admit that I laughed at that line XD
I likes that part though, the father storytelling was good.

It felt like a long winded answer to "why do you want to work here" in a job interview. He even has reference letters!

Chile: Young Gun Silver Fox - Love Guarantee
Another very smooth song. I think I'm realizing that this is a quality in music that I find pleasing.
The vocals here are so rounded and the deeper sond is really nice. The brass is also quite nice, possibly muted? It's not that in your face brass a lot of songs end up using.

That breakdown at 3ish minutes was really good. This is really good.

Ireland: Kesha - Praying
I love this song and I have since it came out. I remember following Kesha's story when she was going through her legal battles and while it's all a little fuzzy now, I remember how charged all of this was. How wronged she was. How badly everything went. The way she turned things around, came out swinging, never gave up, why it's inspiring. This song is all of that. It's her anthem after such a long silence. It's so raw and emotional. The music is there to build, to support, but never overshadows her story. This is her. Raw emotional power. Stepping out of the darkness and being the bigger person.

I didn't expect this to still have such a big pull for me, but it's been a while since I've heard it and I forgot just how powerful it is.

Jupiter: Gang of Youths - Achilles Come Down
What a great song!
It may come as a surprise to you, but I really enjoy my Classical mythology. Who'd have guessed, I know!
Anyway, this song highlights the tragedy of Achilles and the choices he made after Patroclus' death. He did not have the strength, or courage in this case, to overcome. He metaphorically jumped. But the way this uses that story to push the choice, to remind us there was another option, is so well done. The dueling voices are so well done. It's full of emotion and turmoil. I'm really impressed.

Poland: Jann - Gladiator
This one was a little on the dark and creepy side for me. It's like Bad Guy meets Evanescence in a back alley to murder Adam Lambert.

Malta: Hilltop Hoods - Rattling the Keys to the Kingdom
I'd probably like this better if they had a guest singer for the chorus part. As it is they sound like they're trying to be Afroman or something in that part. "until the day that I die" sounds so much like "but then I got high" to me. As it is, I thought the rapping was pretty average. I'm not an expert here though.

Lithuania: Masayoshi Takanaka - Beleza Pula
Hold on a second, did they sample the monkey noises from DK Country here??

Are you sure!?

Honestly this sounds so video game beach level.

I thought it was finishing about 3 minutes in. I was wrong. It definitely got weaker after this point though. Which is unfortunate because the first part I really enjoyed.
The guitar that comes in does give it a second wind though.

USA: AJJ - Big Bird
What a raw intro. The only problem is that I didn't feel like he meant it. Raw vocals need to have emotion behind them, not just be raw.

I like the idea of the song, and I think it could be really good. I'd probably like a cover of this.

I actually think this could be really good if it went the other direction too, having it read by a Glados-like computer as if from the final note left by someone who couldn't go on.

Anyway, I've gone off track here. It didn't need to end with a minute of bird sounds, but it did.

Namibia: The Free Design - Kites Are Fun
I don't think I've ever heard this before, but it sounds so familiar. I can't put my finger on why.

It's so simple and innocent. They could use tighter harmonies, but I get that that's part of the aesthetic here.

West Saturn: Butch Walker - Synthesizers
Oh, this is going to be meta, is it? Okay!

Uhm, when was Sacagawea in a paint fight though?

Some of these similes are just odd, but again, that's the point I guess.

It grooved, but there's this wall of sound that builds and takes away from the song itself. I don't get why so many songs devolve into excessive layering of noise. By the end you can barely hear the vocals.
Now, maybe that's because he went to the club despite all his apparent shortcomings, I guess that makes sense. It just seems unneeded to me.

The Moon: Subwoolfer - Melocoton (The Donka Donk Song)
This was really silly and I really enjoyed it. They had fun with it and I did too.

The donka donk was well done, they had good voices, the mix was good, and it was funny. We needed this!

Spoiler: A Cursed Image

The top 3 were really hard for me to choose between here! I'm still torn on my ordering of them, they were all fantastic!

I actually really liked the top 6 and found the top 10 easy to choose but hard to order in a bunch of spots. After those ones it really dropped off hard though. There was a lot of diversity in this contest and a lot of it was just not for me. I'm glad a lot of it was though! :)

It was really nice to see so many submissions this round!
Half meme, Half real, All Aristophanes ;)
- Jingle
Ari has appeared way too competent for me to even pretend to know what they're thinking
- MooseEatsBear on discord mafia
it wouldn’t be an ari sig unless it takes up half the screen on mobile - Vonflare
Cephrir
Cephrir
he/him
Survivor
Cephrir
he/him
Survivor
Survivor
Pronoun: he/him

Post Post #33 (ISO) » Wed May 31, 2023 1:37 pm

Post by Cephrir »

i guess this is why i don't know any other kate bush songs
"I would prefer not to." --Herman Melville,
Bartleby the Scrivener
Pink Ball
Pink Ball
he/him
Silver Bullet
Pink Ball
he/him
Silver Bullet
Silver Bullet

Post Post #34 (ISO) » Thu Jun 01, 2023 10:37 am

Post by Pink Ball »

Just voted. Took me a solid whole afternoon to listen everything with detention
Aisa
Aisa
she/her, they/them
Mafia Scum
Aisa
she/her, they/them
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum
Pronoun: she/her, they/them

Post Post #35 (ISO) » Thu Jun 01, 2023 11:38 am

Post by Aisa »

In post 33, Cephrir wrote: i guess this is why i don't know any other kate bush songs
Spoiler:
Nononononono
wait

This is a weird Kate Bush song
Please don't let me ruin Kate Bush for you
Aisa
Aisa
she/her, they/them
Mafia Scum
Aisa
she/her, they/them
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #36 (ISO) » Thu Jun 01, 2023 11:43 am

Post by Aisa »

I suppose the joke in my sig about other people's music taste came true
Skygazer
Skygazer
any
For My Next Guest
Skygazer
any
For My Next Guest
For My Next Guest
Pronoun: any

Post Post #37 (ISO) » Thu Jun 01, 2023 11:58 am

Post by Skygazer »

honestly i took the complaints about my last entry as a challenge so i submitted an 8 minute repetitive banger
i have the most queues
replacement queue | upick queue
Pink Ball
Pink Ball
he/him
Silver Bullet
Pink Ball
he/him
Silver Bullet
Silver Bullet

Post Post #38 (ISO) » Thu Jun 01, 2023 12:13 pm

Post by Pink Ball »

Wait Sky... is the samba yours?
Skygazer
Skygazer
any
For My Next Guest
Skygazer
any
For My Next Guest
For My Next Guest

Post Post #39 (ISO) » Thu Jun 01, 2023 12:16 pm

Post by Skygazer »

:shifty:

maybe
i have the most queues
Pink Ball
Pink Ball
he/him
Silver Bullet
Pink Ball
he/him
Silver Bullet
Silver Bullet

Post Post #40 (ISO) » Thu Jun 01, 2023 12:18 pm

Post by Pink Ball »

Omfg the feedback I wrote for that song is almost exactly the same I wrote for the last one LOL I'M SORRY
Skygazer
Skygazer
any
For My Next Guest
Skygazer
any
For My Next Guest
For My Next Guest

Post Post #41 (ISO) » Thu Jun 01, 2023 12:19 pm

Post by Skygazer »

LMAO it oke
i have the most queues
Thestatusquo
Thestatusquo
He/Him
Shea

Thestatusquo
He/Him
Shea

Shea

Post Post #42 (ISO) » Thu Jun 01, 2023 12:46 pm

Post by Thestatusquo »

In post 36, Aisa wrote: I suppose the joke in my sig about other people's music taste came true
I was trying to be polite.
tout comprendre c'est tout pardonner
Infinity 324
Infinity 324
they (pl.)
Survivor
Infinity 324
they (pl.)
Survivor
Survivor
Pronoun: they (pl.)

Post Post #43 (ISO) » Thu Jun 01, 2023 1:01 pm

Post by Infinity 324 »

i loved a lot of these but not to everyone's taste i suppose
Show
new GTKAS

<3 you are valid

plural system, we may or may not sign
Aisa
Aisa
she/her, they/them
Mafia Scum
Aisa
she/her, they/them
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #44 (ISO) » Fri Jun 02, 2023 5:04 am

Post by Aisa »

In post 42, Thestatusquo wrote:
In post 36, Aisa wrote: I suppose the joke in my sig about other people's music taste came true
I was trying to be polite.
Oh yeah to be clear I was talking about what I perceive to be the reaction to my entry (which is ok!), not my reaction to the other entries (which is non-existent because I haven't listened to most of them yet)

But also yeah sometimes you get music that makes you go " :neutral: not my taste"
Cephrir
Cephrir
he/him
Survivor
Cephrir
he/him
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #45 (ISO) » Fri Jun 02, 2023 5:45 am

Post by Cephrir »

Was mostly kidding :p I'm not sure what the heck that was but I'm sure not all of her other stuff sounds like a demon summoning ritual!
"I would prefer not to." --Herman Melville,
Bartleby the Scrivener
Pink Ball
Pink Ball
he/him
Silver Bullet
Pink Ball
he/him
Silver Bullet
Silver Bullet

Post Post #46 (ISO) » Fri Jun 02, 2023 5:48 am

Post by Pink Ball »

I laughed at that pig noise sequence
Aristophanes
Aristophanes
He/Him
Mr. Blue Sky
Aristophanes
He/Him
Mr. Blue Sky
Mr. Blue Sky

Post Post #47 (ISO) » Fri Jun 02, 2023 11:30 am

Post by Aristophanes »

In post 40, Pink Ball wrote: Omfg the feedback I wrote for that song is almost exactly the same I wrote for the last one LOL I'M SORRY
Feedback? Where?? :)
- Jingle
Ari has appeared way too competent for me to even pretend to know what they're thinking
it wouldn’t be an ari sig unless it takes up half the screen on mobile - Vonflare
Pink Ball
Pink Ball
he/him
Silver Bullet
Pink Ball
he/him
Silver Bullet
Silver Bullet

Post Post #48 (ISO) » Fri Jun 02, 2023 12:08 pm

Post by Pink Ball »

Oh I tend to post it closer to the deadline to make the thread go up
Aristophanes
Aristophanes
He/Him
Mr. Blue Sky
Aristophanes
He/Him
Mr. Blue Sky
Mr. Blue Sky

Post Post #49 (ISO) » Fri Jun 02, 2023 1:08 pm

Post by Aristophanes »

Ooo okie! Well I look forward to it! I love reading others' thoughts on the songs here. I often get a new appreciation for ones I'd previously dismissed. Good call Pink ball :)
- Jingle

Return to “General Discussion”