We haf returned! (New Spam Thread)

Post here if you have a problem with your account.
mith
mith
Godfather
mith
Godfather
Godfather

We haf returned! (New Spam Thread)

Post Post #0 (isolation #0) » Fri Nov 07, 2008 5:32 pm

Post by mith »

The old thread is somewhat obsolete, since we're not having loads of bot accounts created.

If you have spam to report, it would be helpful if you would do one of the following:

1. If someone has posted a thread on this forum which is against the no-advertising rule, post here with a link to the thread.
2. If someone has registered an account which is obviously spammish in nature (including links in the profile, for example), post a link to that user's profile here.
3. If someone has PMed you with a spam link, post that user's name here, along with (optionally) the text of the PM, but
do not include the url here; instead, PM me the link
so that I can add it to the word censor.

We get quite a bit of spam from the same Mafia site. A typical PM looks like this:
[This message is spam, report to mith and ignore.], [This is spam, please ignore and report to mith.]...thought I'd refer you to a pretty cool Mafia forum that started up, plenty of games to signup on or make your own and get in the moderation queue, it's pretty fun. Wink
Anyway, [This message is spam, please ignore and report to mith.], I guarantee you'll enjoy it if you give it a chance.
Check it out:
Last edited by mith on Fri Nov 07, 2008 6:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
mith
mith
Godfather
mith
Godfather
Godfather

Post Post #9 (isolation #1) » Sat Dec 06, 2008 12:37 am

Post by mith »

Thanks to those of you who have been sending me these.

As anyone who has received one of these spam PMs in the past is aware, this particular spammer has been using redirection services to get around the word censor I put in place for the actual forum name he/she is trying to link. I have been adding those same redirection services to the word censor as they come up, but today I have added a large number to the list in order to (hopefully) limit the spammer's options.

I do have a more elegant solution in mind, but it involves changes to the forum structure so it's not something I can put into place immediately. Sorry about the inconvenience to anyone who uses these services for legit purposes. Feel free to play around in the test thread; if you know of some redirection services, try them out, see if there is a word censor for them (the word censor will add [POSSIBLE----SPAM] around the offending word/url), and if not PM me so I can add it.
mith
mith
Godfather
mith
Godfather
Godfather

Post Post #108 (isolation #2) » Sun Jun 06, 2010 1:56 pm

Post by mith »

Baleeted.

Return to “Help!”