Song Contest 206 (Results posted)

This forum is for discussion about anything else.
AGar
AGar
He/Him
Jack of All Trades
AGar
He/Him
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades
Pronoun: He/Him

Post Post #25 (ISO) » Sun Oct 22, 2023 3:41 pm

Post by AGar »

In post 24, pickemgenius wrote:
In post 23, AGar wrote: Japan
- Ban double kicks. 1.5/10
worst take ive ever heard in my life.
You clearly don't listen to me talk much.
Ski mask? Check! Sawed off? Check! Guilty conscience, fear of death? Check! Check! Check!

Get to know me. Or don't. I won't tell you what to do. I'm not God. Or your father. Or your boss.
toolenduso
toolenduso
Mafia Scum
toolenduso
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum
Happy Birthday!

Post Post #26 (ISO) » Mon Oct 23, 2023 5:58 am

Post by toolenduso »

Spoiler: I lost my head / to a girl
eSwatini - Ginny Di - Monster Manual Mash: Fun, I guess. DECENT.

Peru - Homeboy Sandman - Satellite: I like the flow and the old school track. But it's very repetitive and I'm not digging the chorus. Yeah I just like listening to this guy rap. DECENT.

Mount Celeste - Stinkbug & Coda - Bomb-Sniffing Pomeranian: Groovy video game-y track. Fun. Kinda one big synth solo. DECENT.

Scythia - Andrew Thompson - Dancing Mad: Oh gawd it's 12 minutes. And I'll be honest I'm not usually into this choral chanting shit. So I don't know if I'm actually gonna sit through this whole thing. The music itself is aight. Kinda simple for something so orchestral, but this might be Final Fantasy music? OK this section around the 7 minute mark is awesome though. Love the drums and bass here. Prog rock feel. I think I have to place this one highest of the tracks I've heard so far simply because of what it is, but without that proggy section it would've been pretty low. DECENT.

Portland - Margo Cilker - Keep It on a Burner: The first split second of this made me happy, the way those horns come in and how they sound. Good singer. Very good. Easily the best song in the contest so far. GOOD.

Chile - Carpenters - I Need to Be in Love: Pretty! I like it. DECENT.

Slovenia - Trivium - Drowning in the Sound: It's metal. DECENT.

Mali - Watsky - Paper Nihilist: Oh hai Watsky. I am liking this. I like the weird vocal stylings/production. Simple but good. DECENT.

Old Zealand - The Vaccines - I Always Knew: It's indie-pop. DECENT.

Antarctica - Sega Sound Team - A Ghost's Pumpkin Soup (Pumpkin Hill): Lots of video game music in this contest. Oh, but this one's hip hop? Wow, that was unexpected. This is enjoyable. DECENT.

Japan - Jiluka - Venom: VENPHM. Ngl tho, it's going pretty hard. I'm liking these discordant guitars around the 1:00 mark. Wow, and it takes a hard swerve into dubstep. That was unexpected. I'm actually enjoying this a fair bit, mainly for how heavy and crazy it is. Based on the aesthetics I would not have expected to like this at all. DECENT.

Sweden - Orphaned Land ft. Hansi Kürch - Like Orpheus: Simply not my style. DON'T CARE.

United States of Erica - Dick Kent - Five Feet Nine-and-a-Half Inches Tall: OK. DON'T CARE.
"Half of the game is figuring out who the scum is. The other half is convincing everyone else that you're right." -- PlaysWithSquirrels, in Newbie 437
Aristophanes
Aristophanes
He/Him
Mr. Blue Sky
Aristophanes
He/Him
Mr. Blue Sky
Mr. Blue Sky

Post Post #27 (ISO) » Mon Oct 23, 2023 11:36 am

Post by Aristophanes »

I'm not going to get a chance this time around unfortunately. Sorry all!
Half meme, Half real, All Aristophanes ;)
- Jingle
Ari has appeared way too competent for me to even pretend to know what they're thinking
- MooseEatsBear on discord mafia
it wouldn’t be an ari sig unless it takes up half the screen on mobile - Vonflare
pickemgenius
pickemgenius
Jack the Tripper
pickemgenius
Jack the Tripper
Jack the Tripper
Happy Scumday!

Post Post #28 (ISO) » Mon Oct 23, 2023 3:14 pm

Post by pickemgenius »

i always think there are fewer songs than there are (which is a good thing) when I open the voting form and when I finish im like that was neat.

contest was pretty good.
Show
Rumpelstiltskin Grinder

(1:55:11 AM) ahallucinogenic: it's ok drench
(1:55:21 AM) ahallucinogenic: it's perfectly normal for young children to walk in on their parents making love
(1:55:31 AM) Drench394: i can't wait

STREAMING:

www.twitch.tv/xxxpickemgenius
Song Contest
Song Contest
Townie
Song Contest
Townie
Townie

Post Post #29 (ISO) » Mon Oct 23, 2023 8:44 pm

Post by Song Contest »

Voting deadline approaches! Get 'em in if you haven't yet.

(That goes for you too, me.)
ChannelDelibird
ChannelDelibird
He/they
Card Czar
ChannelDelibird
He/they
Card Czar
Card Czar
Pronoun: He/they

Post Post #30 (ISO) » Tue Oct 24, 2023 7:02 am

Post by ChannelDelibird »

Spoiler: Reactions
eSwatini // Monster Manual Mash - Ginny Di

This is the kind of thing that makes me want to stick forks into my ears. In no way a slam on D&D, and not even a criticism of the work that into this, just that the 'retheme popular song with nerdy references' genre really repels me on a fundamental level.

Peru // Satellite - Homeboy Sandman

I thought this was pretty rad. There were maybe a few moments where the central theme of detached observation kind of inevitably resulted in it not really popping with as much feeling as these places could inspire, but those were outweighed by the number of times that I could feel some quiet love and acceptance of these places for what they are. Just kind of noticing humanity and work and letting it be. Very satisfying production, too. Nice.

Mount Celeste // Bomb-Sniffing Pomeranian - Stinkbug & Coda

I don't normally go for tracks that are both this busy and this overtly digital although, for being that combination of things, this is kind of a bop. It's so busy that I'm still probably not going to remember any of it after it's over bar a vague sense of 'video game noises happened at me for a few minutes' but it was fun to have around while it was on.

Scythia // Dancing Mad - Andrew Thompson

I have absolutely no experience with Final Fantasy beyond the handful of tracks that people keep throwing at me in song contests, so there is no emotional catharsis to be found here in a track being rendered in a big orchestral fashion at extreme length. It sure sounds a lot like what I'd expect a big, serious moment in a Final Fantasy soundtrack to sound like. I can't imagine myself volunteering to listen to this again.

Portland // Keep It on a Burner - Margo Cilker

The bar-room country aesthetic is not where I'd normally end up by choice, but Cilker immediately struck me here as a performer brimming with charisma, and I was quickly along for the ride. A good brass part always goes a long way with me anyway, and I really dug the horns here in support of that powerful voice. One of those songs that makes you want to hang out with and learn more about the narrator. I will be listening to this again.

Chile // I Need to Be in Love - Carpenters

I don't especially connect to the string ballad aesthetic (I keep saying that a lot this contest and I promise I do like quite a wide variety of music) but Karen Carpenter's voice is obviously really strong and she sells the kind of 'showcase song from a musical' feeling that gives it a timeless quality.

Slovenia // Drowning in the Sound - Trivium

It's not my bag but, as big fast metal rockers with unappealing vocalists go, it's palatable.

Mali // Paper Nihilist - Watsky
(my entry!)

Watsky's been put into the contest a handful of times before - once by me, and one of the other times was how I discovered him for the first time. One of the many big Song Contest Ws for me over the years - he's the first rapper I ever fell for and remains a fixture in my listening habits, closing in on my top five most-listened artists ever. And as it looks like he's calling time on his music career in order to move onto other artistic pursuits, I wanted to submit my favourite track from his final album, Intention. It's a slightly patchy record but one that follows his pattern of experimentation and evolution after his (IMO) magnum opus, 2016's maximalist X Infinity. "But I gotta chill and scissor-kick my inner critic" is a line that always brings a smile to my face in a song that expands on a favourite Watsky theme of finding meaning in mundanity.

Old Zealand // I Always Knew - The Vaccines

Really solid. A great depiction of someone slightly commitment-averse being caught by surprise by the depth of their feelings. The building drums are an easy highlight here.

Antarctica // A Ghost's Pumpkin Soup (Pumpkin Hill) - Sega Sound Team

I cannot in good conscience award points to a song that feels like it is constantly threatening to have Knuckles edu-rap me about how drugs are bad, kids.

Japan // Venom - Jiluka

It is possible that I will have to award points to a song that feels like it is constantly threatening to have Knuckles edu-rap me about how drugs are bad, kids.

Sweden // Like Orpheus - Orphaned Land ft. Hansi Kürch

Obligatory 'it's not my bag' but it is nevertheless cool to hear some Middle Eastern accents, both vocally and instrumentally, in a track like this. It definitely made it a slightly more interesting package to me than your standard million-mile-an-hour metal epic.

United States of Erica // Five Feet Nine-and-a-Half Inches Tall - Dick Kent

Safe to say I got quite tired of being told how tall various people were, quite quickly. Has skit energy without being particularly funny.

Eritrea // The Downfall of Us All - A Day to Remember

It has not been a vintage contest for ya boi CDB.

#greenshirtthursdays
Radical Rat
Radical Rat
They/Them
Jack of All Trades
Radical Rat
They/Them
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades
Pronoun: They/Them

Post Post #31 (ISO) » Tue Oct 24, 2023 7:08 pm

Post by Radical Rat »

Spoiler: The playlist link was broken and I had to do this the slightly more annoying way

eSwatini - Monster Manual Mash

I've never really been able to get into D&D, though I do have a passing knowledge and vague interest. This didn't really do much for me as a result, a lot of the references felt kinda forced, and the charm from the original song isn't really present, but it does seem like she had fun making it, and that's really all that matters in the end for a silly holiday parody right?

Peru - Satellite

I ALMOST actually like this one. Instrumental is a solid vibe, and I like the lyrical concept here, but I wasn't really able to get into the flow with it, and the chorus dragged the rest of it down a lot by being incredibly grating. It's riiiight on the threshold of joining the handful of rap songs I enjoy, but falls just short. Disappointing, but an interesting listen.

Mount Celeste - Bomb-Sniffing Pomeranian

Absolutely fantastic. Love the crunchy FM synths, very Genesisy, and all of the different musical layers hit perfectly, with enough variation to stay interesting the whole duration. Physically impossible not to jam to. Will be surprised if this doesn't end up in my top spot this contest.

Scythia - Dancing Mad

Dancing Mad is iconic for a reason, and this is a very good arrangement of it. I quite like the addition of actual lyrics where I'm pretty sure the original just had generic vocalization. Adds some extra texture to it. I don't know whether to praise this for still sounding authentic to the original when most orchestral renditions of classic game music doesn't, or to praise the original for squeezing so much out of the SNES audio that it even CAN sound authentic to a real orchestra. Either way, it's real good.

Portland - Keep It on a Burner

I don't like it. I don't really have nuanced opinions here, it just... doesn't sound good. Sorry.

Chile - I Need to Be in Love

A bit generic, but nothing wrong with that. Does everything pretty well, and the vocalist's voice does a great job guiding through it.

Slovenia - Drowning in the Sound

Sick as hell. Excellent work on the instrumentation, the vocals hit hard, and lyrically it hits me a bit personally. Love the energy the whole way through, Trivium very rarely disappoints, and they have not here.

Mali - Paper Nihilist

See, this is the kind of rap that I can get into. Really enjoyed all the instrumentation going on, the lyrics are both interesting and flow well through the music, and it's easy to get into the vibes. Very good work from a very sad paper man.

Old Zealand - I Always Knew

Ehh, doesn't really do much for me. It's the kind of song that would be playing on a radio in public and I wouldn't register it beyond the background noise.

Antarctica - A Ghost's Pumpkin Soup

It's seasonally appropriate, I couldn't not submit this one! Something of an acquired taste for me, but it really does set the atmosphere perfectly for Pumpkin Hill, and while nostalgia definitely plays a part in my enjoyment, it's still fun to pop on every October.

Japan - Venom

This one was really good! The dubstep/metal combo works really well together, and while normally I'm not a fan of the overly screamy style of metal vocals, it fits perfectly with this song, and I can't really imagine it with proper singing. Also damn, they went hard with the costume design, though that isn't really part of the song itself and doesn't factor into my ranking, it is worth noting.

Sweden - Like Orpheus

Really enjoying the metal concentration in the lower half of the list. This one was also really good, though I don't really understand the Orpheus analogy tbh. Still, the vocalist here is absolutely outstanding, could probably sing about actual nonsense and still make it seem meaningful. Top notch work here.

United States of Erica - Five Feet Nine-and-a-Half Inches Tall

I too am Five Feet Nine-and-a-Half Inches Tall. I do, however, experience fear. It's a fun and jaunty tune though. Feels kinda weird having synths in something that otherwise sounds like it's a few decades before that would have been expected. Not in a bad way though.

Eritrea - The Downfall of Us All

This song gives me a strong nostalgia despite never having heard it before. Just feels like perfect intersection of a lot of what I listened to growing up I suppose. I liked it quite a bit.

Missed deadline by a few hours, but ah well. I wasn't winning this one anyway.
Maybe the real Mafia was the friends we made along the way

Shiny and new GTKAS thread!
Yimmy
Yimmy
any pronouns
Goon
Yimmy
any pronouns
Goon
Goon
Pronoun: any pronouns

Post Post #32 (ISO) » Wed Oct 25, 2023 3:17 am

Post by Yimmy »

oh no it's been like that the whole time!
Skygazer
Skygazer
any
For My Next Guest
Skygazer
any
For My Next Guest
For My Next Guest
Pronoun: any

Post Post #33 (ISO) » Wed Oct 25, 2023 3:20 am

Post by Skygazer »

i forgor and don't have time to listen today but i'm also gunning for last place so
i have the most queues
replacement queue | upick queue
Song Contest
Song Contest
Townie
Song Contest
Townie
Townie

Post Post #34 (ISO) » Wed Oct 25, 2023 9:43 pm

Post by Song Contest »

Mali

ChannelDelibird

12 - Portland
10 - Old Zealand
8 - Peru
7 - Chile
6 - Mount Celeste
5 - Sweden
4 - Slovenia
3 - Scythia
2 - Eritrea
1 - United States of Erica

Chile

Pink Ball

12 - Mali
10 - Portland
8 - Scythia
7 - Old Zealand
6 - Eritrea
5 - Slovenia
4 - Antarctica
3 - Mount Celeste
2 - Peru
1 - Sweden

Old Zealand

D3f3nd3r

12 - Portland
10 - Chile
8 - Mali
7 - Eritrea
6 - Slovenia
5 - Sweden
4 - Antarctica
3 - Peru
2 - Mount Celeste

Antarctica

Radical Rat

12 - Mount Celeste
10 - Slovenia
8 - Sweden
7 - Japan
6 - Eritrea
5 - Scythia
4 - Mali
3 - United States of Erica
2 - Chile
1 - Old Zealand

Current Scores:

34 Portland
25 Slovenia
24 Mali
23 Mount Celeste
21 Eritrea
19 Chile
19 Sweden
18 Old Zealand
16 Scythia
13 Peru
8 Antarctica
7 Japan
5 United States of Erica
0 eSwatini
Song Contest
Song Contest
Townie
Song Contest
Townie
Townie

Post Post #35 (ISO) » Wed Oct 25, 2023 9:45 pm

Post by Song Contest »

Japan

pickemgenius

12 - Portland
10 - Eritrea
8 - Slovenia
7 - Peru
6 - Antarctica
5 - Mount Celeste
4 - Old Zealand
3 - Sweden
2 - Mali
1 - Scythia

Sweden

MiniDeathStar

12 - Eritrea
10 - Slovenia
8 - Chile
7 - eSwatini
6 - Portland
5 - Scythia
4 - United States of Erica
3 - Old Zealand
2 - Mali
1 - Mount Celeste

Scythia

Aureal

12 - eSwatini
10 - Sweden
8 - Mount Celeste
7 - Eritrea
6 - Old Zealand
5 - United States of Erica
4 - Slovenia
3 - Chile
2 - Japan
1 - Mali

Eritrea

toolenduso

12 - Portland
10 - Japan
8 - Mali
7 - Scythia
6 - Antarctica
5 - Peru
4 - Mount Celeste
3 - Chile
2 - Old Zealand
1 - eSwatini

Current Scores:

64 Portland
50 Eritrea
47 Slovenia
41 Mount Celeste
37 Mali
33 Chile
33 Old Zealand
32 Sweden
29 Scythia
25 Peru
20 eSwatini
20 Antarctica
19 Japan
14 United States of Erica
Song Contest
Song Contest
Townie
Song Contest
Townie
Townie

Post Post #36 (ISO) » Wed Oct 25, 2023 9:51 pm

Post by Song Contest »

Portland

AGar

12 - Eritrea
10 - Mali
8 - Peru
7 - Sweden
6 - Chile
5 - Old Zealand
4 - Mount Celeste
3 - Slovenia
2 - eSwatini

Mount Celeste

ceejayvinoya

12 - Old Zealand
10 - Mali
8 - Eritrea
7 - Antarctica
6 - Slovenia
5 - Scythia
4 - eSwatini
3 - United States of Erica
2 - Peru
1 - Chile

Slovenia

T3

12 - Portland
10 - Scythia
8 - eSwatini
7 - United States of Erica
6 - Japan
5 - Mali
4 - Peru
3 - Mount Celeste
2 - Eritrea
1 - Japan

Peru

BS2000

12 - Portland
10 - United States of Erica
8 - Chile
7 - Mount Celeste
6 - Scythia
5 - Antarctica
4 - Old Zealand
3 - Japan
2 - Mali
1 - Sweden

Final Scores:

88 Portland

72 Eritrea

64 Mali

56 Slovenia
55 Mount Celeste

54 Old Zealand
50 Scythia
48 Chile
40 Sweden
39 Peru

32 Antarctica
29 Japan
23 United States of Erica
22 eSwatini

Congratulations to AGar!

Aristophanes (eSwatini) and Skygazer (United States of Erica) failed to vote! They each take a 12-point penalty and will be visited by three spirits tonight (not to rethink their lives, just to annoy them).
Song Contest
Song Contest
Townie
Song Contest
Townie
Townie

Post Post #37 (ISO) » Wed Oct 25, 2023 9:52 pm

Post by Song Contest »

Skygazer
Skygazer
any
For My Next Guest
Skygazer
any
For My Next Guest
For My Next Guest
Pronoun: any

Post Post #38 (ISO) » Thu Oct 26, 2023 12:47 am

Post by Skygazer »

wow i can't even place last huh
i have the most queues
replacement queue | upick queue
Aristophanes
Aristophanes
He/Him
Mr. Blue Sky
Aristophanes
He/Him
Mr. Blue Sky
Mr. Blue Sky

Post Post #39 (ISO) » Thu Oct 26, 2023 12:48 am

Post by Aristophanes »

In post 38, Skygazer wrote: wow i can't even place last huh
:shifty:
Half meme, Half real, All Aristophanes ;)
- Jingle
Ari has appeared way too competent for me to even pretend to know what they're thinking
- MooseEatsBear on discord mafia
it wouldn’t be an ari sig unless it takes up half the screen on mobile - Vonflare
toolenduso
toolenduso
Mafia Scum
toolenduso
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum
Happy Birthday!

Post Post #40 (ISO) » Fri Oct 27, 2023 11:59 am

Post by toolenduso »

damn, second, not bad!
"Half of the game is figuring out who the scum is. The other half is convincing everyone else that you're right." -- PlaysWithSquirrels, in Newbie 437

Return to “General Discussion”