Theme Test Market

This forum is for discussion related to the game.
Cook
Cook
She
Mafia Scum
Cook
She
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum
Pronoun: She

Post Post #4925 (ISO) » Wed Oct 18, 2023 3:18 pm

Post by Cook »

yeah
Your friendly neighborhood chef and baker. LONG LIVE THE CHEFHAT REBELLION!
Cults With Guns //
"ya true if you don't play mafia you are probably winning" – Alisae

Inventor of 3d20 //
Successful Rebellion Leader//
Cook
Cook
She
Mafia Scum
Cook
She
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum
Pronoun: She

Post Post #4926 (ISO) » Wed Oct 18, 2023 3:22 pm

Post by Cook »

ooh that could be interesting but maybe really polarizing

4 scum, 16 town

each scum has their own nightkill, but no PT
if they target a buddy, then their nightkills go away but they get a PT together
Your friendly neighborhood chef and baker. LONG LIVE THE CHEFHAT REBELLION!
Cults With Guns //
"ya true if you don't play mafia you are probably winning" – Alisae

Inventor of 3d20 //
Successful Rebellion Leader//
Doctor Drew
Doctor Drew
He/Him
Survivor
Doctor Drew
He/Him
Survivor
Survivor
Pronoun: He/Him

Post Post #4927 (ISO) » Thu Nov 30, 2023 12:47 pm

Post by Doctor Drew »

I seem to remember a game a few years ago where every player were given a a secret alt by the mod, kind of to avoid too much meta talk.

I have had an idea brewing that kind of takes this idea but really turning the volume up.

All signups are secret, only by PM's to the game mod, who assigns a secret alt account to them. The actual player list is not publicly revealed, not yet at least.

Let's say it is a 13p game, at game start a potential player list is revealed of 18p stating that 13 of these 18 Mafia scum players are in this game.

The setup of the game would be fairly normal(daytime lims, night time factional NK and normal town/scum PR's).

But......

The big twist is that if you target a player with any night action you have to guess who, out of the 18 players listed, said player is.

This is where I am I not sure exactly how that would work, since it would be very difficult figuring out who you are targeting, especially in early game. I figured there could be mod hints, either public or private, and various lifelines that can be utilized to try to figure out a players identity.

Anyone think there is some meat to this bone?

I need some smarter setup people to try to mold this ball of clay into something special.......or tell me I am an idiot haha.
'dREW DID IT BETTER' - T-Bone
'actually ya drew is useless' - Snivy
'I love playing with him, he's got an amazing presence to him that just feels like the game is lacking something when he's not there' - JacksonVirgo
Alianna
Alianna
She/Her
Death by 1000 Pagetops
Alianna
She/Her
Death by 1000 Pagetops
Death by 1000 Pagetops
Pronoun: She/Her

Post Post #4928 (ISO) » Thu Nov 30, 2023 6:50 pm

Post by Alianna »

In post 4927, Doctor Drew wrote: I seem to remember a game a few years ago where every player were given a a secret alt by the mod, kind of to avoid too much meta talk.

I have had an idea brewing that kind of takes this idea but really turning the volume up.

All signups are secret, only by PM's to the game mod, who assigns a secret alt account to them. The actual player list is not publicly revealed, not yet at least.

Let's say it is a 13p game, at game start a potential player list is revealed of 18p stating that 13 of these 18 Mafia scum players are in this game.

The setup of the game would be fairly normal(daytime lims, night time factional NK and normal town/scum PR's).

But......

The big twist is that if you target a player with any night action you have to guess who, out of the 18 players listed, said player is.

This is where I am I not sure exactly how that would work, since it would be very difficult figuring out who you are targeting, especially in early game. I figured there could be mod hints, either public or private, and various lifelines that can be utilized to try to figure out a players identity.

I need some smarter setup people to try to mold this ball of clay into something special.......or tell me I am an idiot haha.
I'm pretty sure I've seen secret alt games with alt-guessing mechanics before.
I'm assuming what you mean is that all night actions automatically fail if the user of the action does not correctly guess the target's identity. It's an interesting idea, but as you point out, it could be quite difficult to figure out who is who and therefore difficult to actually get a night action off. I'm not sure what exactly you have in mind with mod hints, but that sounds like it could be a little subjective and might cross the line into undue mod influence. Depends what kind of game you're going for though. Also worth considering is that if the "needing to guess the identity to get the action off" applies to the factional kill, the game could end up dragging.
I wonder if it might be better to give players base abilities but allow them to use more powerful abilities if they guess the identity correctly. For example, a killing role could gain ninja or juggernaut for a night on a successful guess, or a weaker investigative could get a result of a stronger investigative.
I townread Alianna.

Post #1000s Collected: 23
On hiatus from playing mafia.
Gamma Emerald
Gamma Emerald
Any
Survivor
Gamma Emerald
Any
Survivor
Survivor
Pronoun: Any

Post Post #4929 (ISO) » Thu Nov 30, 2023 8:10 pm

Post by Gamma Emerald »

I feel like the scumteam’s info advantage could make it more scumsiding than expected in practice
<Embrace The Void>

“A flipped coin doesn't always land heads or tails. Sometimes it may never land at all...”
Maestro
Maestro
They/Them/Any
Jack of All Trades
Maestro
They/Them/Any
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades
Pronoun: They/Them/Any

Post Post #4930 (ISO) » Wed Jan 03, 2024 2:21 pm

Post by Maestro »

Also my one caution w that kind of setup/game would be that some ppl seem selective nowadays over whomst they play w/, & not being able to know ahead for some of them may be a deal-breaker, unless maybe mod had some behind-the-scenes implementation for that (but ew, that gets so messy quickly, who likes confirmed-WOTC)

Also, would you allow hydras?
jesus christ don't allow hydras
Gypyx
Gypyx
She/Her
Jack of All Trades
Gypyx
She/Her
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #4931 (ISO) » Wed Jan 03, 2024 8:39 pm

Post by Gypyx »

In post 4927, Doctor Drew wrote: I seem to remember a game a few years ago where every player were given a a secret alt by the mod, kind of to avoid too much meta talk.

But......

While mafia is a pretty different thing from survivor, as someone's who has played quite a few games of that here, you wouldn't belive how hard ID guessing is, even if the person in question isn't really hiding it

besides i'm not sure guessing who's behind each account is a mechanic that would attract a lot of people
White Flag : Carebear Edition is in signups ! (9/13) sign up if you want a low pressure, high friendliness game !

bottom text
Gypyx
Gypyx
She/Her
Jack of All Trades
Gypyx
She/Her
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #4932 (ISO) » Wed Jan 03, 2024 8:40 pm

Post by Gypyx »

agree with alianna on how it should be implemented should you feel inclined to run it regardless
White Flag : Carebear Edition is in signups ! (9/13) sign up if you want a low pressure, high friendliness game !

bottom text
Gamma Emerald
Gamma Emerald
Any
Survivor
Gamma Emerald
Any
Survivor
Survivor
Pronoun: Any

Post Post #4933 (ISO) » Wed Jan 03, 2024 9:18 pm

Post by Gamma Emerald »

Problem is a chunk of mafia players are basically incapable of masking their posting style, or just aren’t aware of what makes their posting style so distinct
<Embrace The Void>

“A flipped coin doesn't always land heads or tails. Sometimes it may never land at all...”
Doctor Drew
Doctor Drew
He/Him
Survivor
Doctor Drew
He/Him
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #4934 (ISO) » Thu Jan 04, 2024 7:15 am

Post by Doctor Drew »

In post 4933, Gamma Emerald wrote: Problem is a chunk of mafia players are basically incapable of masking their posting style, or just aren’t aware of what makes their posting style so distinct
That is a big part of why I think it could be a very interesting setup.

Plus many people have alts where they change their play style anyways, or at least attempt to.
'I love playing with him, he's got an amazing presence to him that just feels like the game is lacking something when he's not there' - JacksonVirgo
Maestro
Maestro
They/Them/Any
Jack of All Trades
Maestro
They/Them/Any
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #4935 (ISO) » Fri Jan 05, 2024 7:45 am

Post by Maestro »

It's not a bad idea! I'd be happy to join a PT or MD thread to discuss refinements or smth, but I do just encourage a lot of refinements/consideration to be put into how this is run
Doctor Drew
Doctor Drew
He/Him
Survivor
Doctor Drew
He/Him
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #4936 (ISO) » Fri Jan 05, 2024 4:10 pm

Post by Doctor Drew »

In post 4935, Maestro wrote: It's not a bad idea! I'd be happy to join a PT or MD thread to discuss refinements or smth, but I do just encourage a lot of refinements/consideration to be put into how this is run
I have never modded a game, so I don't think I would be the one to mod this game. But, I am happy to pass off this idea to an experienced mod(maybe you) who can cross the t's and dot the i's and refine what needs to be refined.

As long as I am given an Executive Producer credit lol
RH9
RH9
he/him
Mafia Scum
RH9
he/him
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum
Pronoun: he/him

Post Post #4937 (ISO) » Thu Jan 11, 2024 3:26 pm

Post by RH9 »

But......

I'd be willing to mod this if I get the time.
Though, the setup might need some refinement as pointed out by Alianna.
Also, what Maestro and Gamma said.
GTKAS: 2022, 2024

v/la every weekend

indefinite hiatus from mafia solo
RH9
RH9
he/him
Mafia Scum
RH9
he/him
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum
Pronoun: he/him

Post Post #4938 (ISO) » Thu Jan 11, 2024 3:27 pm

Post by RH9 »

And Gypyx.
GTKAS: 2022, 2024

v/la every weekend

indefinite hiatus from mafia solo
Doctor Drew
Doctor Drew
He/Him
Survivor
Doctor Drew
He/Him
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #4939 (ISO) » Thu Jan 11, 2024 5:24 pm

Post by Doctor Drew »

In post 4937, RH9 wrote:

But......

I'd be willing to mod this if I get the time.
Though, the setup might need some refinement as pointed out by Alianna.
Also, what Maestro and Gamma said.
You would be a great choice to mod this setup imo
DragonEater70
DragonEater70
He/Him
Jack of All Trades
DragonEater70
He/Him
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #4940 (ISO) » Wed Jan 24, 2024 12:34 am

Post by DragonEater70 »

How would people like to play any of the following?

1. A 13p Mini Theme based on the Trojan War, where Trojans are the uninformed majority and Greeks are the informed minority.

2. A Mini Theme set in space that is standardly designed but has certain uPick-like elements inside the game (flavored as an advanced AI that grants inventions based on your imagination)

3. A game where the roles are based on MafiaScum users (for example, the role "Alianna" would be an IC, for obvious reasons)
Gypyx
Gypyx
She/Her
Jack of All Trades
Gypyx
She/Her
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #4941 (ISO) » Wed Jan 24, 2024 12:37 am

Post by Gypyx »

In post 4940, DragonEater70 wrote: How would people like to play any of the following?

1. A 13p Mini Theme based on the Trojan War, where Trojans are the uninformed majority and Greeks are the informed minority.

2. A Mini Theme set in space that is standardly designed but has certain uPick-like elements inside the game (flavored as an advanced AI that grants inventions based on your imagination)

3. A game where the roles are based on MafiaScum users (for example, the role "Alianna" would be an IC, for obvious reasons)
for 1 we're gonna need more info, like, yeah trojan war, this can go a lot of ways lol

2 could be interesting but it's a very dangerous concept, basically you need to make sure the game won't boil down to "how do i break the game"

i think 3 has already been done so there's somewhat of an audience for that i guess

bottom text
DeltaWave
DeltaWave
she/her/hers
Mafia Scum
DeltaWave
she/her/hers
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum
Pronoun: she/her/hers

Post Post #4942 (ISO) » Wed Jan 24, 2024 12:50 am

Post by DeltaWave »

I still want to run Ass Mafia. You would DM a picture of your ass to the mod (me) which gets revealed on your flip. All roles are ass-themed. Is anyone interested?
When there's trouble, you call DW.

"For pure will, unassuaged of purpose, delivered from the lust of result, is every way perfect."
Gypyx
Gypyx
She/Her
Jack of All Trades
Gypyx
She/Her
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #4943 (ISO) » Wed Jan 24, 2024 12:54 am

Post by Gypyx »

wait so this wasn't a meme

bottom text
DragonEater70
DragonEater70
He/Him
Jack of All Trades
DragonEater70
He/Him
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #4944 (ISO) » Wed Jan 24, 2024 1:06 am

Post by DragonEater70 »

1. Can't give more info without spoiling the setup.

2. Well inherently that's something you have to think about when doing uPick games, I think? If I run this game I will impose limits on how this mechanic works so it doesn't get broken.

3. Well I would like to know what people think.
Gypyx
Gypyx
She/Her
Jack of All Trades
Gypyx
She/Her
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #4945 (ISO) » Wed Jan 24, 2024 1:09 am

Post by Gypyx »

1 just design and see if you like it then, kinda hard to ask for feedback on a closed

2 i mean, not really? There a difference between "oooh pick a role you'll like" and "Yeah ok so you have an alignement agenda and everything, now's the time to win the game"

3 could be interesting for me but maybe you'd need help from some more experience users if you want your game to feel somewhat representative, or like, idk, stuff like that certainely needs work

bottom text
DragonEater70
DragonEater70
He/Him
Jack of All Trades
DragonEater70
He/Him
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #4946 (ISO) » Wed Jan 24, 2024 7:20 am

Post by DragonEater70 »

Also what about

4. Epicmafia Sandbox game
Basically a game with Epicmafia roles, 7 town, 3 mafia, 2 third parties, no one is a vanilla townie, probably mega unbalanced but that's the whole point.
DragonEater70
DragonEater70
He/Him
Jack of All Trades
DragonEater70
He/Him
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #4947 (ISO) » Wed Jan 24, 2024 7:23 am

Post by DragonEater70 »

Also, Gypyx:
1. I wasn't really asking for feedback on the setup, just eanted to know if people would play it.

2. That doesn't mean it can't be balanced.

3. That could be a good idea.
Maestro
Maestro
They/Them/Any
Jack of All Trades
Maestro
They/Them/Any
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #4948 (ISO) » Thu Jan 25, 2024 12:43 pm

Post by Maestro »

yeah, this thread is kindof a hybrid of a "gauging interest; would ppl actually want to play This?" thread and a "cool idea; need help setup-crafting/designing This, maybe" thread so different ppl are gonnna be looking for different feedback

1. Trojans vs. Greeks sounds cool, but I think this is going to quickly devolve into "what kind of reference is the mod making with the T/G thing & is it relevant to breaking the game" :lol: this would be fine, but prob be aware of it & build in, like, crazy fakeclaims & such? idk, I wanna help design tho so I can see how your idea works, but you need players too fosho

2. UPicks are fun, I like UPicks, but you say "UPick-esque elements inside the game," so will parts of picks be revealed like in some UPicks/Great/er/est Idea games? how would that work? when would ppl UPick things? would Scum be able to do so? is there anything Town/uninformedmajority can do about that...? all things to consider that will directly impact both factions' "fun" factor

3. gonna +1 n say you will need to get some long-time designers or the person/ppl who ran the last "roles based on MafiaScummers game," like this, to help out &/or get some currently-active designers who also know the loud and around players/ppl you could base roles off of? idk that's a tough order! but it'll make this kind of game one to remember, rather than a goofy dud

4. I like role madness games; include some of the guarantees that Great/er/est Idea games have regarding % of Town/nonTown in-game, probably, and you'll prob want to include some kind of disclaimer like "this will use some EpicMafia game stuff/info, which you can find here (if it's online) / which I can explain below" etc. to help ppl decide if they want to /in
Maestro
Maestro
They/Them/Any
Jack of All Trades
Maestro
They/Them/Any
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #4949 (ISO) » Thu Jan 25, 2024 12:43 pm

Post by Maestro »

bumpity