Titling Discussion

A subforum entirely dedicated to the discussion of titles. The title fairy has carte blanche in this subforum.
mastina
mastina
She/Her
False Prophet
mastina
She/Her
False Prophet
False Prophet
Pronoun: She/Her

Post Post #300 (ISO) » Sat Mar 05, 2022 12:07 pm

Post by mastina »

In post 299, Jingle wrote:If you’re looking for a relatively low effort event, mastina, you could do something like a popcorn title thread. Suggest a title for the previous poster or something.
Oh that's a good idea, just need to figure out the logistics of when to run it, for how long, how permanent the titles would be, etc.
RH9
RH9
he/him
Mafia Scum
RH9
he/him
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum
Pronoun: he/him

Post Post #301 (ISO) » Sat Mar 05, 2022 1:04 pm

Post by RH9 »

I have a question.
If we do the Popcorn thing and say somebody suggests a title for somebody else which they don't want, will they be able to decline the title?
GTKAS: 2022, 2024

v/la every weekend

indefinite hiatus from mafia solo
Jingle
Jingle
For Whom the Bell Trolls
Jingle
For Whom the Bell Trolls
For Whom the Bell Trolls

Post Post #302 (ISO) » Sat Mar 05, 2022 2:16 pm

Post by Jingle »

Yes. You are always able to decline a title/ask for your title to be removed.
This is a Parachute.
RH9
RH9
he/him
Mafia Scum
RH9
he/him
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum
Pronoun: he/him

Post Post #303 (ISO) » Sat Mar 05, 2022 2:22 pm

Post by RH9 »

In post 302, Jingle wrote:Yes. You are always able to decline a title/ask for your title to be removed.
Oh. Thank you. I'm going to remember this for the future.
GTKAS: 2022, 2024

v/la every weekend

indefinite hiatus from mafia solo
Jingle
Jingle
For Whom the Bell Trolls
Jingle
For Whom the Bell Trolls
For Whom the Bell Trolls

Post Post #304 (ISO) » Sat Mar 12, 2022 4:16 pm

Post by Jingle »

In post 300, mastina wrote:when to run it, for how long, how permanent the titles would be
Just my 2 cents, but I think the model of month long events with only the most widely accepted of the titles that emerged sticking around after the end of the event was a pretty good sweet spot of not too short but also not so long that it lost it's appeal and became boring.
This is a Parachute.
Jake The Wolfie
Jake The Wolfie
he/they
Mafia Scum
Jake The Wolfie
he/they
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum
Pronoun: he/they

Post Post #305 (ISO) » Mon Jun 06, 2022 9:57 pm

Post by Jake The Wolfie »

title event where it's just telephone pictionary but whatever sentence your chain ends on is your title
mastina
mastina
She/Her
False Prophet
mastina
She/Her
False Prophet
False Prophet
Pronoun: She/Her

Post Post #306 (ISO) » Mon Jan 16, 2023 6:33 pm

Post by mastina »

In post 4239, mastina wrote:Okay so time for the big announcement:
I know it is perhaps naive of me, so I could be quickly proven wrong, but I believe this community has matured to a point where some policies put in place expecting immaturity have become largely obsolete. The site has become a much safer, better place to be. Most of the bad apples have been banned, and there's a lot less of the
really
bad stuff that an idea like this would likely have sparked in times past.

I have faith that this community, mostly being reasonable adults (or people with the maturity of one), are capable of handling things with civility, restraint, and respect, in ways they couldn't have five years ago. The site has changed, the people have changed, and things are a lot more chill/laid-back now and less serious.

Paired with the longterm inactivity in this thread, I'm going to try and put that trust into practice by implementing three changes, with the hope that these can reinvigorate the title fairy forum. (Please don't prove this to be a mistake. I
know
a move like this would've been a mistake circa five years ago. It would've gotten outright NASTY. I'm placing my belief in us having evolved as a community to where what would've been a mistake five years ago, isn't still a mistake now. For the love of god please don't demonstrate I was a fool for thinking we have improved.)

Let's start with the first:
I am officially softening my rule on scummers giving too much feedback/input on their own titles.

This was already unofficially in effect, as seen in spots like here, as well as here, and going even further back.

I believe the rule still has
purpose
:
scummers are still not allowed to micromanage the discussion of their title nomination(s)
. They do not get to dictate every aspect of the discussion. They don't get to post five times per page trying to influence the title.
Titles are still
(mostly)
decided by the community,
not
the scummer the title is for
; scummers shouldn't be actively designing their title. (At least...not in here. Getting to that.)

The rule thus will remain in place, because it's not fully obsolete. However, I am making my "enforce only when absolutely needed" aspect of it more clear, in that scummers are free to give feedback akin to the type in the linked posts (and the surrounding material). Scummers have the right to say a title nomination makes them uncomfortable, that they hate it, that they won't accept anything along the lines of it, etc. If there is enough discussion for a title to be at or near the mark needed for approval, a scummer is allowed to weigh in on a nomination for them and say they like it, even give feedback for formatting or maybe improving it. However, this is a gray zone so let me basically sum it up:
Don't be overbearing.

If you're being obnoxious, if you're borderline harassing those involved in the process, if you're actively beating down every idea actively, you're probably overstepping the boundaries and entering into "giving too much feedback/input".

But one-time casual feedback of "oh hey I like this!" is fine.

The second/third:
I am starting two threads as an experiment.

Unlike events of the past, these threads have no set expiration date. They are not a temporary thing--well, if nothing goes wrong and the community doesn't object strongly, at least.

They will remain open for as long as I see fit to keep them open.

And I will see it fit to keep them open indefinitely, unless I am given reason to shut them down.

I can and will shut them down if they end up not panning out. If drama is kicked up, if the threads get too out of control, if the community strongly hates the idea, if the community strongly objects, if people can't have the maturity that I am trusting them to have, the thread(s) get locked. You only get nice things if you show you are capable of handling them respectfully and thoughtfully. Prove me wrong and I WILL shut them down, likely permanently.

The two threads:

The purpose of that thread is, specifically, for a scummer to make a solid argument for a title for themselves. It is for self-nominations
only
. And scummers only get one. It is not meant to replace this title fairy thread. It is simply to allow for scummers to make a compelling case for titling themselves, if they truly feel a specific title would be a good fit for them.

The purpose of that thread is, specifically,
brainstorming
, for scummers who ask for it.
It is NOT for nominations.
Nominations will remain in
this
thread--brainstorming might (and ideally will)
lead
to nominations, but brainstorms are not themselves a nomination.

To give a basic summary,
nothing is being moved/replaced into those threads
; this is simply an experimental
expansion
of what we have.

The experiment is to allow for things previously discouraged, under the trust in community maturity having risen to a level where they can handle this with respect.

A basic summary of the threads:
Title Fairy
:
this thread;
unchanged
; scummers nominate
other
scummers for a title--discussion entails, with enough support, title fairy moves forward with titling the scummer nominated

the first experimental thread;
scummers nominate
themselves
for a title--
no discussion entails
, but with enough support, the title fairy moves forward with titling the scummer

the second experimental thread;
scummers ask for other scummers to brainstorm ideas for a title for them--
this is
not a title nomination
; none of the suggestions will directly lead to a title from that thread alone. (Although they can be moved to the other two threads if a sufficiently brilliant idea is discovered.)
This is
not
a place to
discuss
titles; it is meant as a place purely to
suggest
titles to a scummer who asks for them

I hope I have explained their differences sufficiently but can continue to clarify these as need-be.

The place to discuss these changes is The Policy Thread; please keep this thread for
nominations only
(Just as a reminder, this is the topic to discuss this change.)
Ythan
Ythan
She
Welcome to the Haystack
Ythan
She
Welcome to the Haystack
Welcome to the Haystack
Pronoun: She

Post Post #307 (ISO) » Tue Jan 17, 2023 12:45 am

Post by Ythan »

Cool.
Jake The Wolfie
Jake The Wolfie
he/they
Mafia Scum
Jake The Wolfie
he/they
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum
Pronoun: he/they

Post Post #308 (ISO) » Wed Mar 13, 2024 7:41 pm

Post by Jake The Wolfie »

Joyous will be the day when we are graced with an event most titled. My heart hath longed for eons, anticipating that most wondrous day.
Isis
Isis
she/her, not they
Best in Class
Isis
she/her, not they
Best in Class
Best in Class
Pronoun: she/her, not they

Post Post #309 (ISO) » Sat Mar 16, 2024 5:18 pm

Post by Isis »

I can't remember what my title means lol
"Let us say that you are right and there are two worlds. How much, then, is this 'other world' worth to you? What do you have there that you do not have here? Money? Power? Something worth causing the prince so much pain for?'"
"Well, I..."
"What? Nothing? You would make the prince suffer over... nothing?"
DragonEater70
DragonEater70
He/Him
Jack of All Trades
DragonEater70
He/Him
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades
Pronoun: He/Him

Post Post #310 (ISO) » Sat Mar 16, 2024 7:47 pm

Post by DragonEater70 »

In post 2096, Kanna wrote:
  • it’s a reference to her avatar, Scholarship Student Isis
  • it implies she’s “best in class,” no matter if it’s mafia, rpg class, or overall classiness
  • it’s fairly original(?)
Isis
Isis
she/her, not they
Best in Class
Isis
she/her, not they
Best in Class
Best in Class
Pronoun: she/her, not they

Post Post #311 (ISO) » Sun Mar 17, 2024 11:37 am

Post by Isis »

Oh shit is it actually a kanna title? It has to stay forever now
"Let us say that you are right and there are two worlds. How much, then, is this 'other world' worth to you? What do you have there that you do not have here? Money? Power? Something worth causing the prince so much pain for?'"
"Well, I..."
"What? Nothing? You would make the prince suffer over... nothing?"

Return to “Player Titles”