The Amazing Race 2 - July 3rd (Signups open until May 12th)

For large social games such as Survivor where the primary mechanic is social interaction.
Firestormer
Firestormer
Goon
Firestormer
Goon
Goon

The Amazing Race 2 - July 3rd (Signups open until May 12th)

Post Post #0 (ISO) » Sat Apr 13, 2024 1:46 pm

Post by Firestormer »

So last year I hosted The Amazing Race, which was a very experimental test to see if the format could even work on a forum, and more importantly if it could be done while being entertaining for both players and hosts. And the game ended up being such a success and was the most fun I've ever had hosting, and I had so many ideas for a second game that I had to make another one!

And here we are, with The Amazing Race 2!

Much like the first game, this ORG will attempt to recreate the show as best as possible in an org setting! It's sure to be a fun and memorable time, so don't miss it! Idk if I'll host a third because it was a massive struggle making a new race of mostly different challenges and idk if I have a third race of different concepts in me, so join before the fad is over!

The format will be The Amazing Race! What that means is every round will be done in the form of a "Leg" and that leg will have you do various tasks to continue.

Every leg will have at least one team eliminated (assuming I get enough teams cast), and the eliminations will be purely based on your performance in the leg. There will be other elements like Yields and U-Turn votes that we'll get into, but that's the general idea of it. Some legs were very close in the first race, like one team losing by under 5 minutes, the finale top 2 being 6 mins apart (after the leading team went from being way ahead in the very final task to ending in 3rd) or another team getting eliminated via the Yield, and then some ended in a team spiraling out and ending up hours behind the rest of the cast :oops: It's a completely unpredictable format and I think even those who aren't the best at challenges can last longer than they'd expect.

Every leg you and your partner will race in a NON-LIVE leg. You will have 3 or 4 days to compete in each leg (results on Wednesday and Sunday each week), and the legs will hopefully take one to two hours per leg, or maybe longer if you mess up. The tasks in each leg will be the following:

Route Info tasks will involve a wide range of tasks, and are the most common of the game. These can be searching for objects, completing mazes, picking the right path to make it to your next destination etc. Each leg will also include a kind of interactive puzzle. Other tasks will require you to alternate posts as a team to progress, but you can do these tasks alone with a time penalty to account for the lack of teamwork if you wish.

A Detour is a choice between two tasks. One may be a luck task, while the other might be counting objects. It is up to you to decide which task will play more to your strengths. You are allowed to switch Detours once choosing one, but it will be a 5 minute penalty in addition to whatever time you have taken before switching.

A Roadblock is a task that only one player may perform. Throughout the race, teams will be able to do half the Roadblocks each, and will receive a harsh penalty if the one player attempts any more once they have run out. Players are NOT allowed to help each other in these, and if any teams switch who is attempting the Roadblock or show it to their partner while attempting it, it'll result in a one hour penalty.

This race, however, there will be the option to quit Roadblocks and take a 90 minute penalty, to account for them being stumbling blocks for people last race. I plan on reducing the difficulty a bit, but just for these tasks the option will be there so that if I do make a challenge that some teams are unable to do, they have an option to advance without it.

Transport tasks will be a simple choice you make each leg, and will be how the Money is implemented into this game. Whenever a Transport task appears, you will click on it and decide how you want to get to your next destination and how much you wish to spend to get there. It will ALWAYS be the same four options available, with the following elements:

Taxi: A Taxi is the quickest method to get to your destination, and will cost the most money.
Bus: A Bus is the second quickest method to get to your destination, and will be less expensive than the Taxi.
Bike: A Bike is slower than the methods above, but will not cost you any money at all.
Walk: Walking is the slowest method of all, but you will gain money if you choose this option.

For this race you'll start with $400, and the only way to earn money after this is via these transport tasks. There will be some elements in play to stop teams from hoarding cash all game in the form of a limit of $700 for each team can have at any given time. This is so there isn't the risk of a team having enough money to just steamroll the second half of the race.

Every leg will include the Yield, which will apply a penalty to one team each time. The Yield will always be somewhere after the first task of the leg, and every team is allowed to use the Yield in each leg in order of who got there faster.

The first team to use the Yield per leg will be successful, and will Yield the team of their choice. This will be different from the first game in that you will be able to Yield a team ahead of you this time, so long as you are the first one to use it. So if the Blue team used the Yield 20 minutes into the leg, while the Yellow team used it 30 minutes into their leg, it will only be successful for the Blue team against whoever they chose.

The Yield can only be used by each team once in the race.

Every round the teams will make a PUBLIC VOTE on the team they wish to be U-Turned for the leg. Once the leg is over, the votes will be tallied and the team with the most votes will be U-Turned that leg. This game, however, they will not have to do both sides of the Detour, and will instead have a 10 minute time penalty at the beginning of the leg.

However, to account for how the first race went, a team can only be U-Turned a maximum of two times in the race. So if a frontrunner team is U-Turned in legs 2 and 3, they're safe from the U-Turn for the rest of the season unless every remaining team has already received 2 U-Turns before the end of the race.

A change this game will be the addition of the Fast Forward! Each leg (until a certain point, you will be told if it is the final Fast Forward when you get the clue) will have a Fast Forward available to the teams at some point, and teams can attempt to aim for it if they wish. There will be a set time for travel to this task, and then a quick task to complete in order to finish the leg! However, due to this being non-live, teams will still need to complete the leg after attempting the Fast Forward just in case they were not the fastest to complete this task. If a team goes for the Fast Forward and another team gets it first, I'll only add the time for travel to their final time and will remove whatever time they took to do the task here.

---

And those are all the tasks that you may encounter in the race! I will also reveal that there are
NO MESSAGES OR ROOMS
this game! You will have a forum to discuss things with your teammate, but like the first race this will only be the public forums each round.

Legs are fully automated in this game, so the only way to progress will be to type the correct word filter and trigger the next clue.

I'm hoping for a cast of
15 Teams!
This was the cast size of the first game and it worked very well, so I'm aiming for the same once again. I could add more if that somehow happened, and I'd just add some double boots in that event.

As this will be teams, you WILL know the ID of your team partner for this race, however I ask that players apply as individuals unless you already have a team and partner in mind. Anyone who played in the first game is welcome to play in this, however I have decided that there won't be any repeat teams this race, so if you paired up with someone last race and want to play in this, it'll need to be with a different person for a little freshness.

If you and your partner know you wish to play together, sign up as a team, but otherwise don't go around asking everyone to be your partner. Just sign up as an individual and tell me your timezone and I will attempt to give you a partner from the other applications. I do plan on advertising to a few sites, so the goal is to have a somewhat wide variety of teams here from different sites and origins. I'll try to assign people someone they already know or at least are from the same site unless there are no others left.

This game will also be Closed-ID, meaning you can't reveal to other people that you're in the game or who you are, otherwise you will be removed from the game :cry

This is an OPEN REP GAME! So long as the reps you and your partner chose are connected and have usable source pics, I'll accept them. Just make sure it's nothing too uncomfortable, I will veto it if the pair is something that I'm just not willing to search an avatar for like a pair with Dahmer in it or something, I think I had a team originally ask for a real life serial killer last game and it was a little out of my comfort zone. But if you'd like to be two tv characters, a celebrity couple, anime girls, sports legends, go for it.

And this is what the avatars will look like:

ImageImage

That's just an example pair and not a pair any team has taken, but that's an idea on how they'll look! I'm very happy with how these turned out and it fits the same general avi structure as the first game with the backgrounds connecting, so I'm going to stick with them!

The goal is for there to be TWO legs per week, for this to be a game that lasts roughly 5 or 6 weeks. This game will be set to start on
Wednesday, July 3rd!
The first leg will go up the next day after you all meet, but will not need to be completed until Sunday.

This will be on Australian time, however as it is entirely non-live you will not need to worry about that, and all legs are 100% automated. All you have to do is complete the legs within the 3-4 day period each round. I will reveal results and the eliminated team each night of the deadline at 10pm AEDT.

If you'd like to sign up for this game, send me a message and I'll reply as soon as I can. Good luck!

Firestormer
Firestormer
Goon
Firestormer
Goon
Goon

Post Post #1 (ISO) » Sat Apr 13, 2024 1:52 pm

Post by Firestormer »

So I have been casting for this game for a bit, but was originally asked to wait until closer to the start date to make an official thread for this game. But since I'm closing signups in a few weeks from now, it's time to get the thread out there so that whoever wishes to join can join!

Currently I have over the required cast size for this, so we're actually fully cast already! The goal was 30 people for 15 teams, and we're at 41 people! So this game is 100% happening, and all the legs are already made. I've got a few signups from here, but if anyone else is interested in joining I'd be happy to keep the signups open a bit longer to get any interested players or teams from MS into the game. It'll be a more relaxed pace for this game, and you only need to do the legs twice a week, with the players who place last being automatically eliminated.

If you'd like to join, either message me on discord theghostoffirestorm or fill out the form below!

https://forms.gle/BWTL2jRAjmja5KXX6

Return to “ORGs and Large Social Games”