Mini 2332: A Mid-scummer Nights Dream II | GG

Micro and Mini Theme Games (based on source material and/or changes to mechanics/rules)
(13 players or fewer)
. Signups Here
Doctor Drew
Doctor Drew
He/Him
Survivor
Doctor Drew
He/Him
Survivor
Survivor
Pronoun: He/Him

Post Post #3423 (isolation #0) » Wed Apr 17, 2024 3:51 pm

Post by Doctor Drew »

I both loved and hated this game

At least I got to indulge into my creative side

Also, I blame the mod for not watching Nightmare on Elm Street and making my bonkers theory about our role a reality lol
'dREW DID IT BETTER' - T-Bone
'actually ya drew is useless' - Snivy
'I love playing with him, he's got an amazing presence to him that just feels like the game is lacking something when he's not there' - JacksonVirgo
Doctor Drew
Doctor Drew
He/Him
Survivor
Doctor Drew
He/Him
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #3474 (isolation #1) » Thu Apr 18, 2024 11:54 am

Post by Doctor Drew »

In post 3466, Prism wrote: I've got time to do a more general breakdown+individualized notes, but they'll be broken up.

Before I get into individualized commentary, it might help to collect my global mechanical commentary in one post. We made many fumbles here and they are all simple fixes. The explanations are abbreviated, so don't expect completeness.

1. Even if she was universally scumread, Kyoko should have never been voted. This is because she had a third invention to give out. Town gets more power and information at a very low cost by waiting to vote her until Day 4.

2. Ravens should have been voted out Day 4 almost instantly. This was findable in many different ways.

(a) Ravens claimed to intentionally pass over a watcher shot for an unknown. This bet makes little sense as town given the prior dream power reveals.
(b) Ravens claimed the existence of a fourth scum dream selection mechanic (Flipped scum can dream, Vi mechanic, public hijack, claimed private hijack). This is very implausible: town will get a chance to play the game. I was already skeptical of three, but with three confirmed a fourth would be absolutely terrible and unfathomable game design.
(c) Ravens' claimed private hijack differed from the public hijack. This would be a bizarre duplicative powersplit to give to the scumteam, and no town player claimed responsibility for it.
(d) The late claim to the reporter shot from Enchant.

Some of these are sufficient alone, others merely strongly indicative, but all in conjunction are overwhelming. Sifting through the mechanics took a bit of time and effort, but at the end of the day none of the above points were very hidden or especially difficult to spot. Catgirl was my top scumread before the cc, but, still unspoiled, I became very sure the dayplay should be thrown in the trash as each point clicked.

3. Reading your role PM and voting for dreams remains undefeated in 2024, RIP. This is also (part of) why other players need to ask for full role details instead of leaving them a black box if the person looks town.

First 5 comments:
Spoiler: ActionDan
Obviously you are experienced, well-rounded, and a bit old-school in a way that I find both comforting and paradoxically refreshing. I don't have many substantive comments: I think you played the game correctly up until the Kyoko vote. I empathize with putting some trust in the person who gave you a watcher shot, compromising, and not dying on every hill. But compromising is negotiation, not capitulation. Catgirl possessed no special mechanical indicator of Kyoko's alignment, and I think there were clear signs it wasn't a read made with rigor and a level head.

Even putting aside all of the Alisae dynamic, the second Kyoko claimed to still have an invention to hand out, the choice to leash it is clear. I think you were in an ideal position to intervene and lay out the mechanically optimal play.

Spoiler: Enchant
When you replaced in, I joked that we needed divine intervention. I wasn't actually worried about anything and thought you a fine replacement, I just figured you'd get a kick out of it.

What I didn't expect was for you to be the most mechanically competent and well-rounded town player in the game, alive or dead. It was very impressive, and I thought about how rapidly you'd grown since Iceland. Then I realized it wasn't fast at all: that game was already three years ago. Compared to my first five years of playing, the last nine really flied.

It was a cool experience to watch you grow into a well-rounded and very capable player, especially one that still has light-hearted fun and enjoys the game. Thank you.

Spoiler: Gimli
You were pleasant while you were around and gave the game enthusiasm and passion that made it fun, like I was missing out when I was stuck elsewhere. I think the blowup with Black was unfortunate, in that I agreed with you, but forum mafia investment levels are always going to range greatly.

Unfortunately I can't say more about your gameplay: most of it was on the periphery of my focus. Obviously you are too quick and confident in your reads, but it's difficult to get more granular about where without rereading from scratch. Any one townread is likely to be right, but as the bloc grows the chance of error skyrockets and there's probably a benefit to raising the bar of entry.

As a last matter, I concurred with morph and the scum PT posts that quoting your PT was out of bounds. I was already leaning that you were town, but it solidified it. The issue is that if you were drafting those posts in the PT as scum, morph would have intervened and shut it down. It was only because they were genuine note thoughts, not explicitly fake drafts, that morph was never worried about it before it happened. (confirmed by their lock)

Spoiler: Black
I've been wanting to play with you for awhile after loosely spectating some of the Newbie games. I think this was a bad start for a few reasons, several of them my fault.

First, I didn't spend enough time reading you on Day 1. This procrastination compounded on Day 2 and I was convinced I'd need to meta you to get anything conclusive. In hindsight I should have engaged earlier, and we probably could have meaningfully connected if I started early.
Second, while I didn't like Gimli's phrasing, I did take his side on the blowup. Forums games have a range of investment, and it's natural to be upset when someone isn't putting in as much effort as another. Almost all of us are busy and sacrificing things for the game. I wasn't thrilled with Gimli's response, but I don't think either of you really navigated that correctly, and it made for an unpleasant phase.
Third, I was overly harsh in the dead PT around the last few days. Part of being town is being sure of yourself and unsure of others, but I felt you overcombative and unempathetic, needing to at least acknowledge why other players felt certain ways without your role PM in hand. I liked your final day posting significantly more and appreciated the effort, so I'm sorry for being so harsh in the spec PT.

I know you said you were averse and bad at it, but you should spend more time on the mechanics. I went over why the Ravens vote shouldn't have happened from a few different angles, and it is very frustrating to get no dream votes. Depending on the powers that might have instantly lost the game, which would in turn wast dozens of hours of town effort because of simple negligence.

Spoiler: Doctor Drew
I really didn't engage with you much, so I don't have too much to say, but you're just a pleasant player to be around. You never seem to take scumreads or disagreements too harshly or personally, and it makes it easy to stay civil. Thanks for always trying to spice things up and keep it fun.
I was nervous to click the spoiler next to my name lol

But, thank you so much for the kind words.....I do try to make the game fun for everyone, even when I play like shit like in this game haha
'I love playing with him, he's got an amazing presence to him that just feels like the game is lacking something when he's not there' - JacksonVirgo
Doctor Drew
Doctor Drew
He/Him
Survivor
Doctor Drew
He/Him
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #3478 (isolation #2) » Thu Apr 18, 2024 1:14 pm

Post by Doctor Drew »

In post 3475, Cabd wrote:
In post 3475, Sunflower wrote: pagetop
It's postgame, mod tyranny says fuck your pagetop.
You are my new favorite mod

Return to “Coney Island [Mini Theme Games]”