Theme Test Market

This forum is for discussion related to the game.
gslamm
gslamm
Goon
gslamm
Goon
Goon

Post Post #175 (ISO) » Mon Oct 13, 2003 9:01 am

Post by gslamm »

Dragon Slayer wrote:Gaspode and I are "currently working" on Star Trek Mafia.
Great minds think alike and all that...
Mathcam and I are working on a Star Trek-ish Mafia game also.

We're not actually tied to the main characters though, so I guess we could change our venue.
[size=84]"Hmm, wow.. I'll just sit back and watch the stupidity continue to unfold.. "- genku Mixed Theme [/size]
Gaspode
Gaspode
Old school
Gaspode
Old school
Old school

Post Post #176 (ISO) » Mon Oct 13, 2003 9:25 am

Post by Gaspode »

Actually, we were going to do a Next Generation Mafia, so if you were doing one based on any of the other series, neither of us have anything to worry about. We entertained thoughts of doing a few games, one for each series or something like that, but considering the fact that the idea for TNG originally came up around January and is still mostly on napkins :), another pair of mods would be very welcome (it is a huge theme, after all).
mlaker
mlaker
I'm just a stuffed dog!
mlaker
I'm just a stuffed dog!
I'm just a stuffed dog!

Post Post #177 (ISO) » Mon Oct 13, 2003 10:43 am

Post by mlaker »

I'd definetely play Wild West mafia.Movie or in general? I might not play if it was the movie but I'd definetely play if it was in general.
TBuG
TBuG
they/them
I win
TBuG
they/them
I win
I win
Pronoun: they/them

Post Post #178 (ISO) » Mon Oct 13, 2003 10:47 am

Post by TBuG »

My new ideas:
Periodic Table Mafia
Wump Mafia

Wump Mafia is based on these strange things called Wumps that we made in my Math class. There's Mug Wump and Bug Wump, and there are some Wump Imposters named Lug Wump and Thug Wump.\

More ideas:
Neopets Mafia (www.neopets.com)
School Mafia (Kids vs. Teachers)
Austin Powers
Deltora Quest Mafia
Charmed Mafia
Survivor Mafia
Big Brother Mafia
The Mole Mafia
Reality Mafia
Joe Schmo Mafia
rolandofthewhite (5:40:28 PM): It would be weird living with Thesp. All the hookers murdered and skin lying around. :(
MeMe
MeMe
Post or Perish
MeMe
Post or Perish
Post or Perish

Post Post #179 (ISO) » Mon Oct 13, 2003 3:58 pm

Post by MeMe »

I'm on the mini theme list to run Survivor Mafia. It's written -- but I have one kink (could be unresolvable) that I need to work out. Basically, I'm just posting notice as I see PBuG mentioned it as a theme in his above list and I don't want anyone else working on one unnecessarily.
Remember...It's not a lie if you believe it. -- G. Costanza
Wacky
Wacky
Goon
Wacky
Goon
Goon

Post Post #180 (ISO) » Tue Oct 14, 2003 1:20 am

Post by Wacky »

PolarBoy wrote:
Wacky wrote:perfectly normal mafia - roles from front page

perfectly normal mafia v.2 same name, completely different setup, also roles from front page.
Look, I wasn't joking when I called this the
theme
barometer. If all you're looking for is some hype for an upcoming game, this is not the place. The mini moderating sign-ups here are highly regulated to limit competition between mods. I didn't start this thread to promote it. What this is here for is so that you can find out whether or not there's interest in a particular theme so that you don't go to the trouble of writing it for no audience. This way when I say "I was thinking about doing a game based on 'Seabert'." and when I hear crickets chirping instead of a resounding "I'd play that!" I'll know not to waste everybody's time with it.

By the way anyone who has suggestions on how I can keep this thread clean while remaining fair to posters would definitely find a ready set of ears here.
Sorry, I got a little carried away (okay, very carried away), but I did post that to see if there is interest, not to hype. Although it is ironic seeing you post that after this:
PolarBoy wrote: Just please do not take this thread too seriously. I mostly put it up as an underhanded way to hype Homestar Runner Mafia. Which, by the way, is going to be Revengeanceful.

So until next time, keep posting your crap, and I'll keep posting mine.
I would be interested in School, Austin Powers, Charmed, The Mole, Reality – Not sure what that is about. Star Trek.

But really, 1. Do people who aren’t planning to mod really frequent this place
and 2. Is this thread really necessary if its only to see if there is interest? One can always just “float” the mafia game and change themes if no one is interested.
...whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth.
PolarBoy
PolarBoy
Sir Not-Appearing-In-This-Mafia
PolarBoy

Post Post #181 (ISO) » Tue Oct 14, 2003 3:21 am

Post by PolarBoy »

Don't take this too seriously. I need a fight and Family Reunion hasn't started yet.
Wacky wrote:
PolarBoy wrote:Look, I wasn't joking when I called this the
theme
barometer. If all you're looking for is some hype for an upcoming game, this is not the place....This way when I say "I was thinking about doing a game based on 'Seabert'." and when I hear crickets chirping instead of a resounding "I'd play that!" I'll know not to waste everybody's time with it.
Sorry, I got a little carried away (okay, very carried away), but I did post that to see if there is interest, not to hype. Although it is ironic seeing you post that after this:
PolarBoy wrote: Just please do not take this thread too seriously. I mostly put it up as an underhanded way to hype Homestar Runner Mafia. Which, by the way, is going to be Revengeanceful.

So until next time, keep posting your crap, and I'll keep posting mine.
You may not have noticed, but that bit about hyping Homestar Runner was in a joking tone. Perhaps the use of the word "Revenganceful" didn't tip you off? I really abused the word hype there. I did it to find out about interest in theme source material and thought "Well golly gee, maybe some other mods would like this too." especially after seeing a few games in the mini-themed queue go by with no sign-ups.

Your questions are valid though.
Wacky wrote:But really, 1. Do people who aren’t planning to mod really frequent this place
I don't think people who aren't planning to mod frequent this place. On the other hand most of the active posters on Mafia Scum seem interested in modding, so I don't think that's a problem. There's obviously a large enough slice to get the necesary encouragement for a game.(See the entry for "Calvin and Hobbes")
Wacky wrote:2. Is this thread really necessary if its only to see if there is interest? One can always just “float” the mafia game and change themes if no one is interested.
Well they could, but where would they do it? They could mention it in a game thread, but that would be off-topic and any response would be also. They could do it in Mafia discussion. But again, any existing thread where they post it is off topic. So they could start their own thread. Which is exactly what I did.

Only I realized that others would want to do the same and we'd have a lot of pointless threads so I left it open to everyone. Then I thought that other mods were gonna want to know what goes on in this thread, but nobody wants to wade through people talking about every stinkin' theme people come up with. But if I do it myself and tabulate my results, nobody else will have to.

So there you have it. You're right because I'm right.
Last edited by PolarBoy on Tue Oct 14, 2003 7:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
MUNSCM Delegate for the United Kingdom
Check out the [url=http://www.mafiascum.net/cgi-bin/wiki.pl?HomePage]ScumWiki[/url], and while you're at it, check out [url=http://www.mafiascum.net/cgi-bin/wiki.pl?DocumentModeMafia]DocumentModeMafia[/url]
PolarBoy
PolarBoy
PolarBoy

Post Post #182 (ISO) » Tue Oct 14, 2003 3:32 am

Post by PolarBoy »

By the way, I'm working on ways I can improve this thread. Right now it doesn't tell you about stuff that's already been run(Valuable information in my opinion) and it's probably a little cluttered. I'm thinking I might limit a given mod to, say 3-5 entries at a time. I think I'm also gonna drop anything that doesn't have associated source material. Basically, if you have to explain what it's actually about(What is Reality Mafia?) it's not going to appear here.
Check out the [url=http://www.mafiascum.net/cgi-bin/wiki.pl?HomePage]ScumWiki[/url], and while you're at it, check out [url=http://www.mafiascum.net/cgi-bin/wiki.pl?DocumentModeMafia]DocumentModeMafia[/url]
Werebear
Werebear
Cursed One
Werebear
Cursed One
Cursed One

Post Post #183 (ISO) » Tue Oct 14, 2003 3:54 am

Post by Werebear »

I would prefer playing to modding, but I have such ideas for games....
[color=green]Anyhoo, why is it suspicious that I get confused with a mattress?[/color]
--Wacky, HHGG3 - Life, The Universe, and Everything mafia
Darkblade
Darkblade
Goon
Darkblade
Goon
Goon

Post Post #184 (ISO) » Tue Oct 14, 2003 9:47 am

Post by Darkblade »

Off in the distant future, when my computer can reliably send PM's...

Vengence Mafia. Every person has a senondary win condition for someone else to be dead.
Macros
Macros
Fear the Random Hobos
Macros
Fear the Random Hobos
Fear the Random Hobos

Post Post #185 (ISO) » Tue Oct 14, 2003 9:54 am

Post by Macros »

i ahve a multitude of ideas, and am definately interested in moderating, i always thoguh a thread like this would be good for looking for co-mods, people who also want to run agame with the same theme, you could toss your ideas together etc. the list of previously done themes is an uber good idea (i would include the gl games possibly as a source of ideas?)
Oh the huge manatee!!
Someone
Someone
Well, we gotta remove Someone
Someone

Post Post #186 (ISO) » Tue Oct 14, 2003 11:44 am

Post by Someone »

I don't really see the problem of having multiple copies of the same game. Just because somebody else is running the same mafia you thought up doesn't mean that you can't run yours
This is just here so my posts don't look so ugly when I edit them.
Werebear
Werebear
Cursed One
Werebear
Cursed One
Cursed One

Post Post #187 (ISO) » Wed Oct 15, 2003 6:42 am

Post by Werebear »

Hm. Was brainstorming on another theme today... Anyone play the RPG "Paranoia"? :twisted:
[color=green]Anyhoo, why is it suspicious that I get confused with a mattress?[/color]
--Wacky, HHGG3 - Life, The Universe, and Everything mafia
Dourgrim
Dourgrim
Yep. Again.
Dourgrim
Yep. Again.
Yep. Again.

Post Post #188 (ISO) » Wed Oct 15, 2003 9:05 am

Post by Dourgrim »

Trust no one, keep your laser handy, the Computer is your friend. :twisted:
[size=75]The point of the journey is not to arrive...[/size]
Norinel
Norinel
Not Voting (3)
Norinel
Not Voting (3)
Not Voting (3)

Post Post #189 (ISO) » Wed Oct 15, 2003 11:57 am

Post by Norinel »

I haven't actually played it, but I'm familiar with it.
Kerplunk
Kerplunk
Mafia Scum
Kerplunk
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #190 (ISO) » Mon Oct 20, 2003 6:36 am

Post by Kerplunk »

Has anyone here read some books of
The Sword Of Thruth
-series by Terry Goodkind. I was thinking on doing a themed mini with that. Would anyone be interested in playing something like that?
Has your mafiagame lasted for only a few days or maybe it dragged on and on and on? Check the [url=http://www.mafiascum.net/wiki/index.php?title=Records]Records page[/url] on the wiki to see if it is a record!
Dourgrim
Dourgrim
Yep. Again.
Dourgrim
Yep. Again.
Yep. Again.

Post Post #191 (ISO) » Mon Oct 20, 2003 6:56 am

Post by Dourgrim »

I've read the Sword of Truth novels... they're some of my favorites. I'd play in a Themed game based on 'em.
[size=75]The point of the journey is not to arrive...[/size]
PolarBoy
PolarBoy
PolarBoy

Post Post #192 (ISO) » Fri Oct 24, 2003 3:18 am

Post by PolarBoy »

Someone wrote:I don't really see the problem of having multiple copies of the same game. Just because somebody else is running the same mafia you thought up doesn't mean that you can't run yours
Definitely true, but it's always smart to at least be aware of the other game. If they run close enough together you're unliklely to both get enough players who know the source material unless it's something darn well near universal like Calvin and Hobbes.
Quailman
Quailman
Mafia Scum
Quailman
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #193 (ISO) » Fri Oct 24, 2003 5:19 am

Post by Quailman »

Has anyone ever run a
Sesame Street Mafia
game?
shadyforce
shadyforce
U-S-E_T-H-E_F-O-R-C-E
shadyforce
U-S-E_T-H-E_F-O-R-C-E
U-S-E_T-H-E_F-O-R-C-E

Post Post #194 (ISO) » Fri Oct 24, 2003 7:27 am

Post by shadyforce »

Must be plenty college students here. I'm thinking of running a game based on based on the clubs and societies that one would normally find in a college.
[size=75][color=darkblue]I'm never wrong... well I was wrong once but that was when I thought I'd made a mistake but hadn't.[/color][/size]
PolarBoy
PolarBoy
PolarBoy

Post Post #195 (ISO) » Fri Oct 24, 2003 9:18 pm

Post by PolarBoy »

No Quailman, but somebody was talking earlier about doing Sesame Street, and ultimately decided to do Muppets instead.
bloojay
bloojay
The Other Blue Meat
bloojay
The Other Blue Meat
The Other Blue Meat

Post Post #196 (ISO) » Sat Oct 25, 2003 2:01 am

Post by bloojay »

i'd definitely go into Neopets mafia...but how would you work it? Would you have the actual pets or things for like the TCG...
mepmuff: I don't know what to make of the Peacebringer news story.
sycko999: Mabye PB is really ugly...-Suburbia Mafia
Dementia Blader
Dementia Blader
Goon
Dementia Blader
Goon
Goon

Post Post #197 (ISO) » Mon Nov 10, 2003 6:50 pm

Post by Dementia Blader »

Maybe Newspaper Mafia?
shelper
shelper
Moxious
shelper
Moxious
Moxious

Post Post #198 (ISO) » Tue Nov 11, 2003 1:28 am

Post by shelper »

Currently brainstorming
retirement home mafia
Can't say any good ideas will spring from it though... :?
Will probably forget all about in two or so days so if anybody thinks they can do a good job modding it, be my guest.
Last edited by shelper on Wed Nov 12, 2003 5:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
mlaker
mlaker
I'm just a stuffed dog!
mlaker
I'm just a stuffed dog!
I'm just a stuffed dog!

Post Post #199 (ISO) » Tue Nov 11, 2003 10:39 am

Post by mlaker »

I would SO definetely play retirement home mafia!! :D LOOK OUT!!! Killer old men in Florida!!

Return to “Mafia Discussion”