Jack's Amateur Metal Thread (aka gushing over metal)

This forum is for discussion about anything else.
JacksonVirgo
JacksonVirgo
they/him
Survivor
JacksonVirgo
they/him
Survivor
Survivor
Pronoun: they/him

Jack's Amateur Metal Thread (aka gushing over metal)

Post Post #0 (ISO) » Thu Jun 20, 2024 12:14 pm

Post by JacksonVirgo »

Jack's Amateur Metal Review Thread

aka Jack gushing over metal thread

I've been wanting an outlet for my love and adoration for metal and metal-adjacent music. I don't have many people I can actually talk to about this genre of music but I love it with my entire existence and it means so much to me that I wanted to make a thread where I have a way to express these things, and also double as a way to get better at articulating how I feel about music in general.

I don't expect anybody except myself to post in / read this thread but I would love if people did, it'll make my day.

I mostly listen to the metalcore/deathcore genre so a lot of the albums/songs I go over will be in that type of sound but I will be doing whatever appeals to me, but I'd also love to listen to any album suggestions from any genre of metal if you want me to check something out!
"Am I a ghost like you, caught between the seams of two intertwining melodies?"

wiki // GTKAS
JacksonVirgo
JacksonVirgo
they/him
Survivor
JacksonVirgo
they/him
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #1 (ISO) » Thu Jun 20, 2024 12:14 pm

Post by JacksonVirgo »

Last edited by JacksonVirgo on Mon Jun 24, 2024 7:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

wiki // GTKAS
JacksonVirgo
JacksonVirgo
they/him
Survivor
JacksonVirgo
they/him
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #2 (ISO) » Thu Jun 20, 2024 12:14 pm

Post by JacksonVirgo »

Bad Omens' one of my favourite bands, I often come back and listen to one of their albums in its entirety and it's amazing to see how their sound has progressed as this album compared to their two most recent albums (one of which released at the end of this May) with the most recent being more industrial metal focused, while their second most recent (my clear favourite) delves into Noah's softer vocals emphasising both the powerful clean singing as well as due to the infrequent harsher vocals, it makes them pop so much more with the most notable example being the screams at the end of Concrete Jungle (the single best album opener they've ever done) and the strong contrast in Artificial Suicide. Listening back to their older music/sound in comparison shows a more raw, rough, angry and at times a very desperate emotional sound which fits his voice amazingly.

I won't get into every single song, but I will write about the
most
notable songs to me that I really want to talk about.

There's not a single song that I wouldn't love to listen to again and again. The song The Worst in Me was the very first song of theirs that I ever listened to and it launched me into a Bad Omens spiral that I never got out of (and never want to). The lyric "I had you in my grip, but you're starting to slip" paired with his vocal grit hits me deep in my soul and it scratches a very deep part of my soul.

My favourite song on the album by far is F E R A L which has a pretty stark contrast to The Worst in Me, where it's more contained but incredibly punchy so the emotions push you all the way through with a
lot
of power. The final bridge slows the song down somewhat to land the strongest final chorus in the whole album in my opinion. Makes me feel incredibly powerful every time I listen to it, which is what I love about metal in general but this song in particular brings it out the most.

From what I've seen around online, this song is pretty polarising with some people thinking it's the bottom rung of the album but The Letdown is one of my favourites. It sends literal chills down my spine every single listen! The contrast between the more sombre melancholic feel of the clean vocals in the verses and the pre-chorus to the more desperation fueled screams in the chorus never fails to hit me deep in my core. The message of the song also screams to me, as I can literally experience the song in its entirety and escape and it's very rare that a song can do that to me in the degree this song can.

Every single song is on my never skip list, I highly recommend listening to it if metalcore is your thing. It holds a very dear place in my heart.

wiki // GTKAS
Immortal Technique
Immortal Technique
He/Him
Kodak Moment

Immortal Technique
He/Him
Kodak Moment

Kodak Moment

Pronoun: He/Him

Post Post #3 (ISO) » Thu Jun 20, 2024 4:21 pm

Post by Immortal Technique »

I know we have talked about Lorna Shore, and a few other deathcore bands

But have you ventured a bit more into the extreme metal subgenres?

I have a guilty pleasure for some slam(Abominable Putridy, Devourment, Orgonectomy, Peeling Flesh) or some beatdown(Paleface, Snuffed on Sight, No Face No Case)......lyrically is usually a bit silly, but is such a pummeling chorus of intense breakdowns and brutality.

I also love some Doom(really no band I could single out, just literally love the slow plodding pace of the genre that is so atmospheric and creates such a mood from the music alone.......maybe Black Tongue is a good starter band since they have their roots in deathcore.....their album Nadir is especially amazing)

I love anything from the NYHC Scene(New York hardcore), in many ways a precursor to most metalcore and deathcore. Bands like Madball, Blood Has Been Shed, 25 ta Life, Agnostic Front, Sick of it All, etc

Love the new wave of old school death metal as well(Sanguisugabogg, Tomb Mold, Gatecreeper, 200 Stab Wounds), most of these bands tour with a lot of deathcore bands as well, which is cool to see people trying to merge he genres

Opeth is my all time favorite band though, love how everyone of their songs is like a story......and it is written as such. No wasted riff or drum interlude, no wasted acoustic section, no wasted lyric.....yet can be a 12 minute song and keep you invested the whole way. Check out Blackwater Park as a perfect example.
New Main of Doctor Drew(RIP 6/10/2019-6/10/2024)
Always Dancing With The Devil
Ydrasse
Ydrasse
She
*twirls hair*
Ydrasse
She
*twirls hair*
*twirls hair*
Pronoun: She

Post Post #4 (ISO) » Fri Jun 21, 2024 5:38 am

Post by Ydrasse »

~ five various recommendations ~

loathe will always be at the top of my recommendations list regardless of genre. i let it in and it took everything is currently my second favorite album Ever. so much range and atmosphere and depth on this album. fantastic 10/10

i always enjoy the music these lads create. sometimes they have pop punk tints to their music that i especially vibe with because kid me started there.

would you like some jazz with your metal?

this is definitely industrial and not particularly metal but a lot of their other stuff is adjacent enough that i wanted to post it. it’s always in my top spotify songs of the year.

this is the only song i have ever heard from this band but it was ingrained in my head for like two weeks so iam spreading the curse
☠︎︎
one flesh, one end.
Save The Dragons
Save The Dragons
He/Him
Protection unnecessary

Save The Dragons
He/Him
Protection unnecessary

Protection unnecessary

Post Post #5 (ISO) » Fri Jun 21, 2024 6:07 am

Post by Save The Dragons »

some of my favs

Temperance has very "epic" music, this one is great at showcasing that i feel

in a similar vein, Frozen Crown. but im always a sucker for a wolf (or wolfdog) in a music video

and i guess i'll toss in an obligatory Powerwolf. i think this version combines the original track with an orchestral version, which is pretty neat.

Helion Prime has had 3 different singers for each of its 3 albums. while not my favorite Helion Prime song, this one features all 3 vocalists. if you want some Sci-Fi metal, look no further

Wolfchant has wolf in it so of course i like them

Avatar is really unique and interesting

This song from Haken i found from the song contest so thanks mafiascum.com.net.org

Something a little more traditionally metal is Soilwork
JacksonVirgo
JacksonVirgo
they/him
Survivor
JacksonVirgo
they/him
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #6 (ISO) » Fri Jun 21, 2024 10:57 am

Post by JacksonVirgo »

In post 3, Immortal Technique wrote: I know we have talked about Lorna Shore, and a few other deathcore bands

But have you ventured a bit more into the extreme metal subgenres?

-- snip --
I haven't delved too far into other genres yet, I haven't listened to any of those bands except Paleface which I love a LOT (they're coming near me in September which I'm gonna try and go to). I'm gonna add these to my list to check out, Opeth first cuz what you just said appeals to me SO much

wiki // GTKAS
JacksonVirgo
JacksonVirgo
they/him
Survivor
JacksonVirgo
they/him
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #7 (ISO) » Fri Jun 21, 2024 10:59 am

Post by JacksonVirgo »

So many songs to check out holyyy

wiki // GTKAS
KayJayQueue
KayJayQueue
She/Her
Mafia Scum
KayJayQueue
She/Her
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum
Pronoun: She/Her

Post Post #8 (ISO) » Sat Jun 22, 2024 8:10 am

Post by KayJayQueue »

I’m just here for moral support ❤️
T-Bone
T-Bone
He/Him
A Cut Above
T-Bone
He/Him
A Cut Above
A Cut Above

Post Post #9 (ISO) » Sun Jun 23, 2024 4:19 pm

Post by T-Bone »

Oh I had Bad Omens on my 2023 top alt list
My Top 40 Alt Songs of the Year!

"Playing in a Newbie game doesn't count" ~ PenguinPower, Feb 2019
JacksonVirgo
JacksonVirgo
they/him
Survivor
JacksonVirgo
they/him
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #10 (ISO) » Sun Jun 23, 2024 5:11 pm

Post by JacksonVirgo »

In post 9, T-Bone wrote: Oh I had Bad Omens on my 2023 top alt list
You did! It made me smile seeing it there, they have a pretty large range

wiki // GTKAS
AniX
AniX
None
UCalled
AniX
None
UCalled
UCalled
Pronoun: None

Post Post #11 (ISO) » Mon Jun 24, 2024 12:57 am

Post by AniX »

I'm not a huge music listener in general, but the past few shows I've gone to have been metal/metal-adjacent/metal-adjacent-adjacent I guess.

I saw Scene Queen in September 2022 (Mercury Lounge) and November 2023 (Gramercy Theatre) and have a ticket for BABYMETAL (Terminal 5) when they come through New York in November.
Official Gimmick List:
INVENTOR OF UPICK!
LORD OF THE 11TH HOUR!
ASEXUAL!
KING SCAR APOLOGIST!
DREAMER OF THE NE0N DREAM (SUPP 2021 LAST PLACE WINNER)!

I have donned the
RED CROWN
Immortal Technique
Immortal Technique
He/Him
Kodak Moment

Immortal Technique
He/Him
Kodak Moment

Kodak Moment

Post Post #12 (ISO) » Mon Jun 24, 2024 3:58 pm

Post by Immortal Technique »

In post 11, AniX wrote: I'm not a huge music listener in general, but the past few shows I've gone to have been metal/metal-adjacent/metal-adjacent-adjacent I guess.

I saw Scene Queen in September 2022 (Mercury Lounge) and November 2023 (Gramercy Theatre) and have a ticket for BABYMETAL (Terminal 5) when they come through New York in November.
BABYMETAL is legit, rarely do you see a crossover of completely different genres work that well
New Main of Doctor Drew(RIP 6/10/2019-6/10/2024)
Always Dancing With The Devil
JacksonVirgo
JacksonVirgo
they/him
Survivor
JacksonVirgo
they/him
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #13 (ISO) » Mon Jun 24, 2024 5:08 pm

Post by JacksonVirgo »

In post 11, AniX wrote:BABYMETAL
Hell yeah, babymetal is awesome

wiki // GTKAS
JacksonVirgo
JacksonVirgo
they/him
Survivor
JacksonVirgo
they/him
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #14 (ISO) » Mon Jun 24, 2024 7:20 pm

Post by JacksonVirgo »

Ghostkid (I am not writing the fancy O, sue me) is one of the bands I've recently found that I have found myself putting on when I need to feel hyped up (specifically the song hollywood suicide and fsu) as it is like electronic dance crossed with metal which never fails to make me full of energy especially paired with the more raw screams than I typically listen to, it's quite unique from my backlog and I've only recently found out the singer was from electric callboy but apart from that I don't know much about the history of the members of the band (or really the band itself).

I found them through their song Heavy Rain, which is a must listen to everybody remotely interested in the genre. It's one of the softer songs on the album and my second favourite, next to the song the album is named after. The lyrics were extremely compelling to me. Hollywood Suicide was the perfect opener, the chorus is intoxicating to me and I can't put it down it's been on a pretty consistent listen as of late and the albums closer Helena Drive brings you on a ride (the softest song on the album), the pre-chorus/chorus is arguably the best in the album in a much different way than hollywood suicide.

I love this album, it's not everybody's cup of tea but I highly recommend listening to it

wiki // GTKAS
Jake The Wolfie
Jake The Wolfie
he/they
Mafia Scum
Jake The Wolfie
he/they
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum
Pronoun: he/they

Post Post #15 (ISO) » Sun Jul 14, 2024 7:37 am

Post by Jake The Wolfie »

Amateur metal is stuff like iron and nickel. Hardcore metal is lead and plutonium

Return to “General Discussion”