[OLD] Open Setup Ideas and Discussion

This forum is for discussion of individual Open Setups, including theoretical balance.
Plum
Plum
Mafia Scum
Plum
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #3 (isolation #0) » Thu Jan 15, 2009 5:33 pm

Post by Plum »

Variation on something I thought up earlier; was the last post in the old thread before it was locked, so I'm sticking it back up here.

Wishing Well Mafia

(3) Mafia Goons

(1) Poisonous Water Carrier (SK)

(1) Healing Water Carrier
(1) Cop
(6) Vanilla Townies

The Mafia have one NK between them. The Cop has one investigation per night. The Townies each have one night-target per night. All Night Actions are compulsive.

The Healing Water Carrier acts as a Doctor protection to anyone who targets him/her for any reason, has no active Night Action, and is vulnerable to NKs.

The Poisonous Water Carrier can choose whether or not to activate each Night. If he/she decides to activate, anyone who targets him/her will die. This death preempts other Night Actions against him/her - so he/she is not vulnerable to NKs.

Day Start, I think.
Plum
Plum
Mafia Scum
Plum
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #13 (isolation #1) » Fri Jan 16, 2009 7:50 am

Post by Plum »

shaft.ed wrote:
Plum wrote:Variation on something I thought up earlier; was the last post in the old thread before it was locked, so I'm sticking it back up here.

Wishing Well Mafia

(3) Mafia Goons

(1) Cop
(6) Vanilla Townies

The Mafia have one NK between them. The Cop has one investigation per night. The Townies each have one night-target per night. All Night Actions are compulsive.

The Healing Water Carrier acts as a Doctor protection to anyone who targets him/her for any reason, has no active Night Action, and is vulnerable to NKs.

The Poisonous Water Carrier can choose whether or not to activate each Night. If he/she decides to activate, anyone who targets him/her will die. This death preempts other Night Actions against him/her - so he/she is not vulnerable to NKs.

Day Start, I think.
So if the poisonous water carrier does not activate, they are open for NK's?

I still think this is broken for the SK via choreographed night choices. You need some disincentive for the townies not claiming their night targets in advance.
You may be right. Hmmm.
Plum
Plum
Mafia Scum
Plum
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #17 (isolation #2) » Fri Jan 16, 2009 9:49 am

Post by Plum »

shaft.ed wrote:one way to "fix" it is to have the mafia and SK kills be non-distinguishable. That way the mafia can frame a player as the SK. The only way the town can figure out the difference is to "spend" two players in one night.

I still think it'll be difficult for the SK to win. Basically his addition makes the game tip towards scum pretty handily IMO.
I didn't intend the SK and Mafia kills to be distinguishable, but that should certainly be specified. What if I either reduced the Mafia to two goons (now it's probably unbalanced the other way) or made all three goons have to submit a night action (so between the Mafia one kill and two plain night-targets). And perhaps . . . Poison Water Carrier is just plain NK-immune? I'm not sure.
Plum
Plum
Mafia Scum
Plum
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #19 (isolation #3) » Fri Jan 16, 2009 10:16 am

Post by Plum »

shaft.ed wrote:
Plum wrote:
shaft.ed wrote:one way to "fix" it is to have the mafia and SK kills be non-distinguishable. That way the mafia can frame a player as the SK. The only way the town can figure out the difference is to "spend" two players in one night.

I still think it'll be difficult for the SK to win. Basically his addition makes the game tip towards scum pretty handily IMO.
I didn't intend the SK and Mafia kills to be distinguishable, but that should certainly be specified. What if I either reduced the Mafia to two goons (now it's probably unbalanced the other way) or made all three goons have to submit a night action (so between the Mafia one kill and two plain night-targets). And perhaps . . . Poison Water Carrier is just plain NK-immune? I'm not sure.
But if everyone has a target you can find the SK via circle targeting.

I think shrinking the game size may be the best idea.
2 Goons
Poison Pillar
Healing Pillar
X Townies

That way any choreographed deaths enter into WIFOM territory and can't be directly used to out the SK. Forget the Cop with so few scum. If you do want the town to have an extra power role I'd make it a tracker that way if they get a "hit" (ie player not targeting ) they can't be sure if they are the non-killing Goon, the Poison Pillar or the Healing Pillar.
Interesting. I think one of my ideas with the original one was a Doc/Cop combo with a different set of issues than usual. But I actually do see other appeals to this idea, as you pointed out with the idea of throwing in a Tracker (who, again, as soon as he/she outs him/herself is reduced to either of no further use confirming things or extremely vulnerable . . .

So maybe

2 Goons

1 Poison Water Carrier

1 Healing Water Carrier
1 Tracker
X Townies - er, 6?
Plum
Plum
Mafia Scum
Plum
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #21 (isolation #4) » Fri Jan 16, 2009 10:30 am

Post by Plum »

Night Start sounds fine. So, now we have:

Wishing Well Mafia

(2) Mafia Goons

(1) Tracker
(6) Vanilla Townies

The Mafia have one NK between them. The Tracker has one investigation per night. The Townies each have one night-target per night. All Night Actions are compulsive.

The Poisonous Water Carrier can choose whether or not to activate each Night. If he/she decides to activate, anyone who targets him/her will die. He/she is also NK-immune.

All kill flavors are identical.

Night Start.

Return to “Open Setup Discussion”