How strong could a SK be?

This forum is for discussion related to the game.
Goatrevolt
Goatrevolt
Pond Scum
Goatrevolt
Pond Scum
Pond Scum

Post Post #45 (isolation #0) » Fri Jan 30, 2009 7:40 pm

Post by Goatrevolt »

I don't mind buffing SKs up some, but I think it's poor design to buff SK's enough to where they have an equal chance of winning as the town, or standard mafia do. It's an individual in a team game. It's only natural that they have a lowered chance of winning. The role is meant to be a fun but challenging role with a less than standard chance of winning.

I like minor buffing of the SK. Unnightkillable, for example, is something I find to be a fair SK buff. They only have to worry about avoiding getting lynched, not both avoiding the lynch and night kill, which can prove extremely hard to overcome. I think stuff like unnightkillable
and
is town to investigations
and
is untrackable, etc. just makes the SK into some sort of super power that is impossible to bring down.

@SL: I think the role you had as SK was fair for the SK. It's basically a 1-shot unlynchable, that you'll have a hard time playing off as pro-town after using it. I think a better design would have been to make it so using it doesn't end the day, it merely makes you unlynchable that day. That way, using your ability still gives you the same benefits, but doesn't completely screw over the town from even hunting the other scum that day. The kill priority I thought was a nice touch as well. That adds some nice flavor to the SK role, as you can avoid night kills by masterfully killing a player who may otherwise kill you. I really like that idea, and would probably use it or some variation of it if I include a SK in games. My issues with the setup in that game wasn't as much from the perspective of your own role, but with the issue that the town made no mislynches from day 3 onward and still lost. I was frustrated that I lost despite narrowly avoiding my own lynch after the large amount of "role information" aimed at my head and then subsequently correctly identifying all the scum.
Goatrevolt
Goatrevolt
Pond Scum
Goatrevolt
Pond Scum
Pond Scum

Post Post #56 (isolation #1) » Thu Feb 05, 2009 4:56 pm

Post by Goatrevolt »

forbiddanlight wrote:Hmm...reading this thread gave me an idea...

Compulsive SK that kills more and more every night, no other buffs. Flavor would be something like he has to kill more to get a killing high or whatever. But, mechanically, it'd be like

N1: 1 kill
N2: 2 kills
N3: 3 kills
And so on and so forth. This is probably overpowered but in a large game with a few killing roles it might be stopped before it starts rolling.
That sounds highly overpowered to me.
Goatrevolt
Goatrevolt
Pond Scum
Goatrevolt
Pond Scum
Pond Scum

Post Post #58 (isolation #2) » Thu Feb 05, 2009 5:05 pm

Post by Goatrevolt »

forbiddanlight wrote:
Goatrevolt wrote:
forbiddanlight wrote:Hmm...reading this thread gave me an idea...

Compulsive SK that kills more and more every night, no other buffs. Flavor would be something like he has to kill more to get a killing high or whatever. But, mechanically, it'd be like

N1: 1 kill
N2: 2 kills
N3: 3 kills
And so on and so forth. This is probably overpowered but in a large game with a few killing roles it might be stopped before it starts rolling.
That sounds highly overpowered to me.
Hmm...there's probably a way to balance it though. Maybe lots of protective roles :S.
Make everyone night kill immune :).
Goatrevolt
Goatrevolt
Pond Scum
Goatrevolt
Pond Scum
Pond Scum

Post Post #62 (isolation #3) » Thu Feb 05, 2009 9:38 pm

Post by Goatrevolt »

I've heard optimal SK play is to claim in your first post, but sincerely suggest that you will use your abilities for the betterment of the town only, and not for personal gain.
Goatrevolt
Goatrevolt
Pond Scum
Goatrevolt
Pond Scum
Pond Scum

Post Post #64 (isolation #4) » Thu Feb 05, 2009 9:52 pm

Post by Goatrevolt »

LlamaFluff wrote:
Goatrevolt wrote:I've heard optimal SK play is to claim in your first post, but sincerely suggest that you will use your abilities for the betterment of the town only, and not for personal gain.
This does not really work well in practice
Hahaha. That's excellent. And people say the random phase is meaningless...
Goatrevolt
Goatrevolt
Pond Scum
Goatrevolt
Pond Scum
Pond Scum

Post Post #69 (isolation #5) » Sat Feb 07, 2009 1:20 am

Post by Goatrevolt »

charter wrote:
Goatrevolt wrote:I've heard optimal SK play is to claim in your first post, but sincerely suggest that you will use your abilities for the betterment of the town only, and not for personal gain.
There is zero chance you will win this way.
Don't knock it till you've tried it :).

I know it's an awful strategy. The link LlamaFluff posted was pretty funny though. Poor Xtoxm...

Return to “Mafia Discussion”