Mini 751: Suzumiya Haruhi Mafia (OVER)

Post Post #0 (ISO) » Mon Feb 23, 2009 2:57 pm

Post by Tarhalindur »

Suzumiya Haruhi Mafia

Moderator:
Tarhalindur
Backup Moderators:
Kinetic, MafiaSSK, Natirasha

"After school, nothing special happened. Koizumi and I were chased around the clubroom putting up the new decorations Haruhi had brought. Haruhi gave commands and pointed around with her finger. Asahina-san, clad in a Santa outfit, was mascot-cum-tea-server. And today, Nagato was reading a hardcover book... while, once again, wearing the triangular hat on her head.

Then came the end of the day. The hotpot's contents were still undecided. The only decision in the meantime was that I would be assigned as the carrier and sent outside for shopping. What on earth would that hotpot be? I'd rather not have a potluck, with its smell of sinister schemes.

This is too long for a prologue. However, the above really is just a prologue, nothing else. The real action comes from this point onwards, starting the next day. It might have started tonight, but it doesn't really matter.

The next day was December 18, when even the mountain breezes were frozen. That day, I was thrown into the abyss of fear.

Let me say this in advance: it was no laughing matter."
- The Disappearance of Haruhi Suzumiya (Prologue)

Game State:
- Over (see page 19 for details)

Alive:

1) Seraphim
2) malthusis
3) DrippingGoofball
4) forbiddanlight
5) Panzerjager
6) veerus
7) ortolan
8) roffman
9) Percy
10) Trumpet of Doom
11) Budja
12) zwetschenwasser (rep. afatchic)

Dead:

None yet

Missing:

None yet
Last edited by Tarhalindur on Sat Apr 11, 2009 8:22 pm, edited 14 times in total.
User out of ambit.

Error 404: Sanity Not Found
Tarhalindur
Tarhalindur
Mod Screw
Tarhalindur
Mod Screw
Mod Screw

Post Post #1 (ISO) » Mon Feb 23, 2009 2:58 pm

Post by Tarhalindur »

Rules:

<0> I am the Mod thy God. If a dispute arises, my decision is final. That said, I am not infallible - if I make a mistake or you have a question, please inform me of the problem (preferably via PM or bold text) and I will correct it.
<1> This is a game. I hope that you have fun. In return, I ask that you not have your fun at the expense of the other players in this game (in other words, don't be a jackass). Repeated or extreme violations of this rule will result in replacement or modkill.
<1a> Attempting to use loopholes in the rules to gain an advantage in the game is considered jackassery, and will be treated as such. This applies to things like encrypted codes, invisible text, editing and deleting posts, trying to use the structure of the role PM to gain an advantage, etc. Please, use your common sense!
<2> If there is a conflict between a role and the rules, the role wins.
<3> Claiming that another player is your scumbuddy will result in a modkill.
<4> Quoting private communications (role PM, mason conversations, etc.) or pretending to do the same will result in a modkill. Paraphrasing, however, is not only acceptable but encouraged unless I explicitly say otherwise.
<5> You may not talk with other people about this game outside of the thread (but see Rule 2).
<6> This game will have both a vote count and a FoS (Finger of Suspicion) count. All players will have 1 vote and 1 FoS (but see Rule 2).
<6a> In a Normal game, the FoS count will have no effect on the game other than breaking voting ties at deadline. Theme games make no such guarantee. (Especially not this one!)
<7> To help the game run smoothly, votes and FoS'es should be made in bold text, and use the format Vote: XXXX and FoS: XXXX, respectively. An unvote and/or unFoS is required to remove a vote or FoS; to unvote or unFoS, please use the format Unvote: XXXX or UnFoS: XXXX.
<8> If a player has a majority of votes, that player is lynched and cannot be unvoted. You may talk during twilight unless I state otherwise.
<9> Game-Specific Rule: When a player is lynched or killed, that player's role PM, minus factional abilities, will be posted in the thread.
<10> Each game day will begin with a negotiable deadline of 2 weeks in place. At the end of each week, if I find the activity level in the game acceptable and the week does not end with the deadline, then I will extend the deadline by one week, to a maximum of twice the original deadline (a maximum of 4 weeks); the maximum deadlines are not retractable.
<11> If deadline occurs without a full majority and a majority of voting players are voting for a player, that player will be lynched. Otherwise, No Lynch will occur.
<12> Don't drink and post, lest ye receive Public Humilitation. (This rule is an injoke and doesn't actually do anything.)
<13> You may elect to No Lynch any number of times during the course of the game. In order to No Lynch, one of the two following conditions must be met: either a majority of living players must vote no lynch, or no player receives a majority of votes before deadline. (To vote No Lynch, please use the format Vote: No Lynch. FoS'es for No Lynch will not be counted.)
<14> This is a Twilight setup. All actions are submitted during the day and resolve at the end of twilight. (This effectively makes Twilight a night where all players may still talk in the thread.)
<15> When you die, stop posting. You may make a single "Bah!"/"Frak you!"/etc. post in the thread. You may not include game content in this post. In addition, once you are dead, please do not discuss the game with anyone other than the Mod until the game is over, as this makes the mod's life easier.
<16> All players need to post at least once every 72 hours, or inform me if this is not possible. If you do not post for 72 hours, you will be prodded. If you are prodded, then you will need to post something (a simple "/prodded" will suffice if you're short on time) within 72 hours or you will be replaced. You will receive an Official Warning the second time you fail to post for more than 72 hours. The third time you fail to post for 72 hours, you will be replaced.

<16a> If you have limited access, you need to post to this effect, either in V/LA or in the thread. If I prod you despite you declaring V/LA status, call me on it and I will be duly embarrassed.
<16b> If you post before I get around to handing out the prod, you avoid the prod.
<17> Players may only use one special ability per day (but see Rule 2). Passive abilities and factional abilities are not counted as special abilities for purposes of this rule.
<18> This game will start on Day 1 after all players have confirmed (by the method specified in their role PM).
<19> Any player who is modkilled automatically loses the game. I will modkill in the fashion that I deem most damaging to the modkilled player's faction.
<20> I reserve the right to add rules if necessary (or if I really, really want to).
<21> Okay, that's enough formal-sounding stuff. Good luck, have fun!
<23> Game Specific Rule: Until further notice, all players must post once every 48 hours. A player who violates this rule will be prodded. If a player is prodded 5 times, they will be replaced.
(This rule overrides Rule 16.)
Last edited by Tarhalindur on Thu Apr 02, 2009 9:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
User out of ambit.

Tarhalindur
Tarhalindur
Mod Screw
Tarhalindur
Mod Screw
Mod Screw

Post Post #2 (ISO) » Mon Feb 23, 2009 3:02 pm

Post by Tarhalindur »

Notes on Game Flavor:

1) Flavor for this game was taken from the unanimated Suzumiya Haruhi light novels in addition to the chapters animated in
The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya
. A fan translation of all the light novels can be found here: http://www.baka-tsuki.net/project/index ... iya_Haruhi

2) Flavor from this game may come from any of the light novels - even the ninth novel (
The Dissociation of Haruhi Suzumiya
). In fact, it's a pretty good bet that a LOT of flavor is taken from the later light novels.

3) Knowledge of the flavor is not necessary in this game but may be very, very useful.
User out of ambit.

Tarhalindur
Tarhalindur
Mod Screw
Tarhalindur
Mod Screw
Mod Screw

Post Post #3 (ISO) » Mon Feb 23, 2009 3:05 pm

Post by Tarhalindur »

Beginning of Confirmation Stage

"Because a person left, I dragged the vacated chair over and sat down beside Koizumi. The passive assistant leader seemed to be smiling at the grand total of eleven (is it really eleven?) first years, appraising them. I might as well do the same. After all Haruhi seemed to find no need for any self introduction and did not ask for any of their names, neither their birthday nor class. Just when I wanted to give them a nickname each according to their physical appearances, my line of sight fell very naturally on a particular person.

Let me clarify first. I meant no harm or designs. She is a girl.

Among all of the first years listening to Haruhi's one-man show, the girl seemed to be the only one who showed any sign of interest.

Hearing the repeated homeruns at the baseball match, she let out a low cheer; hearing the lone island killer mystery, she covered her mouth in shock, before regaining her smile after knowing the truth; hearing the exaggerated showdown against the Computer Research Society, she nodded her head repeatedly; hearing about Sakanaka-san's pet's incident, she again let out a small smile.

What a pure and innocent first year."
- The Dissociation of Haruhi Suzumiya

It is now Confirmation Stage. Role PMs are going out. Please confirm in the manner indicated in your role PM. Day 1 will begin when at least ten and preferably twelve players have confirmed.
User out of ambit.

Tarhalindur
Tarhalindur
Mod Screw
Tarhalindur
Mod Screw
Mod Screw

Post Post #4 (ISO) » Tue Feb 24, 2009 6:43 am

Post by Tarhalindur »

End of Confirmation Stage/Beginning of Day 1

All players have confirmed. Day 1 will begin momentarily.
User out of ambit.

Tarhalindur
Tarhalindur
Mod Screw
Tarhalindur
Mod Screw
Mod Screw

Post Post #5 (ISO) » Tue Feb 24, 2009 6:52 am

Post by Tarhalindur »

I stared into the LCD monitor of my notebook PC, and tried to speculate where Commander Haruhi's intentions would lead us.

But before getting into that, I'd better explain our current situation to everyone first. It's always good to sort out one's thoughts, in order to make the correct decision. Yes, let's start from there.

It all began a week ago.
- The Rampage of Haruhi Suzumiya ("The Day of Sagittarius")

The Zeroth Vote Count (aka the "Weird and Wonderful" Vote Count)

1) Seraphim (0)
2) malthusis (0)
3) DrippingGoofball (0)
4) forbiddanlight (0)
5) Panzerjager (0)
6) veerus (0)
7) ortolan (0)
8) roffman (0)
9) Percy (0)
10) Trumpet of Doom (0)
11) Budja (0)
12) afatchic (0)

Not Voting (12): Seraphim, malthusis, DrippingGoofball, forbiddanlight, Panzerjager, veerus, ortolan, roffman, Percy, Trumpet of Doom, Budja, afatchic

FoS Count

1) Seraphim (0)
2) malthusis (0)
3) DrippingGoofball (0)
4) forbiddanlight (0)
5) Panzerjager (0)
6) veerus (0)
7) ortolan (0)
8) roffman (0)
9) Percy (0)
10) Trumpet of Doom (0)
11) Budja (0)
12) afatchic (0)

Not FoSing (12): Seraphim, malthusis, DrippingGoofball, forbiddanlight, Panzerjager, veerus, ortolan, roffman, Percy, Trumpet of Doom, Budja, afatchic

FoS'es Required to Lynch:

Current Deadline:
March 10, 2009 at ~6:00 CST (GMT -6)
First Mod Deadline Review:
March 3, 2009 at ~6:00 P.M. CST (GMT -6)

It is now Day 1. Something is amiss in the vote count!
User out of ambit.

malthusis
malthusis
Mafia Scum
malthusis
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #6 (ISO) » Tue Feb 24, 2009 8:26 am

Post by malthusis »

FoS'es to lynch..... interesting. Let's start this by
Fos: Forbiddanlight
for looking like a goodie two-shoes in tLoZ mafia and making the town lose!
forbiddanlight
forbiddanlight
Blowfish
forbiddanlight
Blowfish
Blowfish

Post Post #7 (ISO) » Tue Feb 24, 2009 8:32 am

Post by forbiddanlight »

Huh, that's cool

FoS: Tarhalindur

Malty, you forgot the first rule of Tar games :P.
"Never have I seen anybody glorify their own lynch."
-StrangerCoug

TTGL Mafia is over. Going to mod [b]Umineko No [color=red]Na[/color]ku Koro Ni[/b] Mafia. Pre-/ins, as always, are accepted.
ortolan
ortolan
Mafia Scum
ortolan
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #8 (ISO) » Tue Feb 24, 2009 9:32 am

Post by ortolan »

FoS: Tarhalindur
Currently modding Mole Mafia: http://www.mafiascum.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=23&t=20529

Feel free to PM me to be ready in case I need a replacement.
forbiddanlight
forbiddanlight
Blowfish
forbiddanlight
Blowfish
Blowfish

Post Post #9 (ISO) » Tue Feb 24, 2009 9:42 am

Post by forbiddanlight »

Since Tar is providing sources this game, it appears I don't need to Mod Watch for each book. So, as it is the random voting phase and we don't really do anything worth while at this point, let's play Suzumiya Haruhi Book Club! Mostly the fact that I have no idea how I'm supposed to be reading the Dissociation of Haruhi Suzumiya. If anyone has gotten to that point/already read it, there seem to be two different tellings of the story, and I'm not sure if this is some sort of translator thing or something happening in the book. Any help here?
-StrangerCoug

TTGL Mafia is over. Going to mod [b]Umineko No [color=red]Na[/color]ku Koro Ni[/b] Mafia. Pre-/ins, as always, are accepted.
afatchic
afatchic
Mafia Scum
afatchic
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #10 (ISO) » Tue Feb 24, 2009 9:51 am

Post by afatchic »

Fos Ortolan.
Show
Now taking sign ups:
The Fast and the Furious Mafia (Mini Theme)(11 spots left)

Upcoming Games:
The Bible Experience Mafia (Mini Theme)

Crazy Cops Mafia (Open Game)

Pre-In's are welcome for any of them.
malthusis
malthusis
Mafia Scum
malthusis
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #11 (ISO) » Tue Feb 24, 2009 9:59 am

Post by malthusis »

I did a quick look on wikipedia and one of the novels has 2 endings, if I'm not mistaken.
forbiddanlight
forbiddanlight
Blowfish
forbiddanlight
Blowfish
Blowfish

Post Post #12 (ISO) » Tue Feb 24, 2009 10:43 am

Post by forbiddanlight »

I did a quick look on wikipedia and one of the novels has 2 endings, if I'm not mistaken.
Huh, I should probably do that sometime. Ok, that's what I'm guessing happened. And this probably would be apparent if THE WHOLE NOVEL WOULD EVER GET TRANSLATED! (lazy bastards! I oughta learn Japanese and translate it myself! In fact, I will...see ya gaiz in 2 or 3 years!)

(no, not really)
-StrangerCoug

Seraphim
Seraphim
she/her
Jack of All Trades
Seraphim
she/her
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades
Pronoun: she/her

Post Post #13 (ISO) » Tue Feb 24, 2009 12:06 pm

Post by Seraphim »

Vote: Forbiddanlight

For trying to kill the mod in a game where killing the mod will probably be bad...I mean, after good things happen in three Tar games for lynching the mod, I don't thinking killing the mod would be a good thing here.

FoS: ortolan
for following suit with no reasoning. That's right, that was completely on purpose. I meant to vote ortolan and FoS Forbiddan...I mean, it's meta for FL, but not for Ortolan.

Also, I highly suggest taking a look at MS1, MS2, and Babylon 5 mafia for reference to roles that may or may not be in this game. It's good to get a feel for Tar games if you've never played one before.
Budja
Budja
Mafia Scum
Budja
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #14 (ISO) » Tue Feb 24, 2009 1:14 pm

Post by Budja »

Fos Percy

I'll laugh if the Fos to lynch was a mistype.
Seraphim
Seraphim
she/her
Jack of All Trades
Seraphim
she/her
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades
Pronoun: she/her

Post Post #15 (ISO) » Tue Feb 24, 2009 1:26 pm

Post by Seraphim »

Dude, this is a Tarhalindur game. No way is that a mistype.
veerus
veerus
Mafia Scum
veerus
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #16 (ISO) » Tue Feb 24, 2009 1:32 pm

Post by veerus »

So anyone want to provide the cliff's notes for the story in question? I tried skimming the stuff that Tar linked to but I couldn't really follow it.

oh and,
FOS: forbiddanlight
.. standard procedure, really.
On a long enough timeline, the survival rate for everyone drops to zero.
-Fight Club
afatchic
afatchic
Mafia Scum
afatchic
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #17 (ISO) » Tue Feb 24, 2009 2:39 pm

Post by afatchic »

Guess this should have been bolded.
FOS Ortolan
your the only one i recognize here.

Vote Malthusis
for trying to create confusion by saying we have two endings. Its obvious thats its gonna end one way, my side wins!
forbiddanlight
forbiddanlight
Blowfish
forbiddanlight
Blowfish
Blowfish

Post Post #18 (ISO) » Tue Feb 24, 2009 2:43 pm

Post by forbiddanlight »

For trying to kill the mod in a game where killing the mod will probably be bad...I mean, after good things happen in three Tar games for lynching the mod, I don't thinking killing the mod would be a good thing here.
Honestly, from what I could tell about LoZ mafia, lynching the mod will have no effect except waste a lynch. I don't plan to honestly pursue that, but I have a meta to uphold.
Dude, this is a Tarhalindur game. No way is that a mistype.
Then again, Tar does have some crazy (wrong) votecounts
So anyone want to provide the cliff's notes for the story in question? I tried skimming the stuff that Tar linked to but I couldn't really follow it.
Ok, this will be spoilerific for the basic plot, so I'd advise not reading if you plan to watch the anime/read the books:

Let's see, basic idea is snarky commenter (who happens to also be our unreliable narrator) meets genki girl who is completely and utterly weird, self proclaimed to only be interested in Aliens, Espers, Time Travellers, and Sliders. The snarky commenter is Kyon, and the genki girl is Haruhi. Well, eventually Kyon ends up talking to her and somehow gives her the idea for the Saving the world by Overloading it with fun, Suzumiya Haruhi's Brigade (i.e. the SOS Dan). So, Haruhi takes over the literature club room for this thing, given the literature club's only member is a quiet young girl named Nagato Yuki. She's also an alien we find out later. Haruhi is very genre saavy, so she also kidnaps a moe second year named Asahina Mikuru. She's a time traveller. Finally, a "mysterious transfer student" arrives named Itsuki Koizumi. He's an esper. Oh, at this point I'd like to mention all three of these people are associated with groups that think to some extent that Haruhi Suzumiya is god. Yeah, it's kinna like that. Kyon is weird in that he's the only "normal" person in the brigade. Anyway, most of the first few books are about their various misadventures while advancing the plot a little bit, and the later books start to get into the various factional infighting of the groups of time travellers, espers, and aliens.

Now, since Tar says this focuses on the later novels, I suspect that we will see the characters from what amounts to the "anti-SOS brigade" in this game. And they might be bad. I'm not going to go too far with outguessing the mod though.
-StrangerCoug

Trumpet of Doom
Trumpet of Doom
Mafia Scum
Trumpet of Doom
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #19 (ISO) » Tue Feb 24, 2009 3:38 pm

Post by Trumpet of Doom »

FoS'es to lynch? Okay then...

FoS: DGB

One of the few names I recognize, and the only one I've played with.
roffman
roffman
Goon
roffman
Goon
Goon

Post Post #20 (ISO) » Tue Feb 24, 2009 6:37 pm

Post by roffman »

Just wondering, if FOS's lynch, what happens to votes? Do they also lynch? Is it therefore possible to get multiple lynches in the same day? Just asking some of you Tar vets how this sort of thing normally works.
Town - 3/5
Mafia - 1/4
Other - 1/1
afatchic
afatchic
Mafia Scum
afatchic
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #21 (ISO) » Tue Feb 24, 2009 6:50 pm

Post by afatchic »

roffman wrote:Just wondering, if FOS's lynch, what happens to votes? Do they also lynch? Is it therefore possible to get multiple lynches in the same day? Just asking some of you Tar vets how this sort of thing normally works.
i don't think that would be possible. Lets say its 6 fos/votes to lynch and someone has 5 fos and someone has 5 votes. then the next fos or vote would end the day, prior to the other (fos/vote) happening.
roffman
roffman
Goon
roffman
Goon
Goon

Post Post #22 (ISO) » Tue Feb 24, 2009 7:07 pm

Post by roffman »

what happens if the person who posts the last vote also fos's in the same post? That's what I was wondering.
Town - 3/5
Mafia - 1/4
Other - 1/1
afatchic
afatchic
Mafia Scum
afatchic
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #23 (ISO) » Tue Feb 24, 2009 7:21 pm

Post by afatchic »

roffman wrote:what happens if the person who posts the last vote also fos's in the same post? That's what I was wondering.
Oh well i would assume whichever comes first counts.

If it was like this
Hypothetical quote wrote:
Fos Player X

Vote Player Y
I would think the Fos would count and the vote would not.
Percy
Percy
Rainbow Robot Cthulhu
Percy
Rainbow Robot Cthulhu
Rainbow Robot Cthulhu

Post Post #24 (ISO) » Tue Feb 24, 2009 11:24 pm

Post by Percy »

FoS: Budja

OMGUSFTW!

I suggest everyone have a look at the closing credits of the anime. I'm sure this is the tone that Tar is trying to set.

*dances*

Return to “Completed Mini Theme Games”