Frog Dodging
Townie
Frog Dodging
Townie
Townie

Post Post #80 (isolation #0) » Tue Apr 28, 2009 5:14 am

Post by Frog Dodging »

Lurker speed lynching is fail.

So far I see a lot of stupid and very little scummy.
Incamnito wrote:I'd like him to be staring at a few votes when/if he finally shows up.

I'd like him to be an exaple to everyone else who can't be bothered.

And you said it yourself.. time is not on our side. You convinced me.
Let's go through this in turn.

What benefit, exactly, do you get from us having votes when we turn up?

What makes you think we can't be bothered, rather than any number of other things that could have come up - personal issues etc?

Time may not be on our side, but that doesn't mean we rush. It just means we pack in the information density - in this game, we have to pack it in time rather than space, but the principal is the same.

Sex w/ shafteds wife club, why is it a shame that incam was being townie?
Frog Dodging
Frog Dodging
Townie
Frog Dodging
Townie
Townie

Post Post #82 (isolation #1) » Tue Apr 28, 2009 5:35 am

Post by Frog Dodging »

sex w/ shafteds wife club wrote:
Frog Dodging wrote:Sex w/ shafteds wife club, why is it a shame that incam was being townie?
Because now he's a dead tracker.
Aye, but surely it's better that he looked town than that he looked scummy.

Also, perhaps it would have been better if people hadn't been spending their whole time shouting "OMG he's soooo town"
Frog Dodging
Frog Dodging
Townie
Frog Dodging
Townie
Townie

Post Post #84 (isolation #2) » Tue Apr 28, 2009 5:56 am

Post by Frog Dodging »

Not the massive three person page 1 bandwagon! Damn, that goes to lynch all the time, gotta be vigilant about that sorta thing.
Frog Dodging
Frog Dodging
Townie
Frog Dodging
Townie
Townie

Post Post #118 (isolation #3) » Tue Apr 28, 2009 2:23 pm

Post by Frog Dodging »

Pesco Light wrote:I'm taking that as over-reacting to an obv-prod vote. It can stay.

Pesco
I see I'm mostly proving right about Pesco Light being the weakest of the hydras this game. How blasé.
Incamnito wrote:I'd like him to be staring at a few votes when/if he finally shows up.

I work Friday-Monday and unlike you have a life. Sorry!
Incamnito wrote:Hey, we were talking, my partner and I, and we decided we wouldn't be surprised if there were scum on our wagon. It does have just a little too much steam.
So, for future reference:
Incamnito (5) --> J-Scope, Death the Hogfather, Ortohoops, Zmd, Pesco Light
Let's see... Scopey adores bandwagons, Pesco Light is made up of gibbering idiots as well as Ortohoops, Death is made of people who over-logic things, and Zmd is made up of dumbass who needs to pay attention and Zazie. That explains all 5 votes fairly well.

Incamnito suddenly dying is interesting, more interesting is the fact that sex, PL, Ortohoops, A&B, and even the other me completely ignored analysis of this post in favour of discussing Incamnito's death.
J-Scope wrote:@Frog Dodging: Are you being sarcastic in any of your posts?
Good question. Next!
J-Scope wrote:We have to rely on lynches to find scum instead of power roles we can’t dictate or confirm even exist yet, and I think we should probably follow the same standards as deciding whether to lynch or no lynch on a day/night game. If someone looks scummy enough, let’s lynch them.
Define "enough". "Enough", for instance, could be attempting to assassinate the president, or it could just be looking at him funny.

I am really suspicious of Yosariwen at this point, and I'm surprised that more people aren't.
Ortohoops wrote:tl;dr? Our best percentage play is lynching lurkers now on the basis of early lynches being closest to random. The percentage we may lose is lynching a possibly less scummy player is more than made up in keeping the most active players alive now. This boosts the average activity per player, and means the consensus for a lynch is more thoroughly discussed, which is good.
Let's take the already somewhat random early lynches and make them more random by adding (what is in the early stages an) arbitrary criterion? How is this exactly a "good plan"?
Raging Wishbone wrote:Sorry I still don't get it, there was not 50% of the votes places on Incangnitoan?
Pay attention, dumbass.

PL totally overreacts to tajo's suspicion of it. That's so adorably hilarious and worse than what Yosariwen has done.

My suspicions lie firmly in the Pesco Light camp, although I have no clue what other I thinks at the moment. I would not be opposed to a Yosariwen stringing-up at this point, but I think that can wait for now.

Vote: Pesco Light

Please note, as I believe has been said elsewhere, that I will not be signing my posts, nor will other I. We are as one, and one as we are, we have no need to separate our thoughts.
Frog Dodging
Frog Dodging
Townie
Frog Dodging
Townie
Townie

Post Post #126 (isolation #4) » Tue Apr 28, 2009 3:40 pm

Post by Frog Dodging »

Raging Wishbone wrote:
Frog Dodging wrote:
Pesco Light wrote:I'm taking that as over-reacting to an obv-prod vote. It can stay.

Pesco
I see I'm mostly proving right about Pesco Light being the weakest of the hydras this game. How blasé.

I work Friday-Monday and unlike you have a life. Sorry!
Incamnito wrote:Hey, we were talking, my partner and I, and we decided we wouldn't be surprised if there were scum on our wagon. It does have just a little too much steam.
So, for future reference:
Incamnito (5) --> J-Scope, Death the Hogfather, Ortohoops, Zmd, Pesco Light
Let's see... Scopey adores bandwagons, Pesco Light is made up of gibbering idiots as well as Ortohoops, Death is made of people who over-logic things, and Zmd is made up of dumbass who needs to pay attention and Zazie. That explains all 5 votes fairly well.

Incamnito suddenly dying is interesting, more interesting is the fact that sex, PL, Ortohoops, A&B, and even the other me completely ignored analysis of this post in favour of discussing Incamnito's death.
J-Scope wrote:@Frog Dodging: Are you being sarcastic in any of your posts?
Good question. Next!
J-Scope wrote:We have to rely on lynches to find scum instead of power roles we can’t dictate or confirm even exist yet, and I think we should probably follow the same standards as deciding whether to lynch or no lynch on a day/night game. If someone looks scummy enough, let’s lynch them.
Define "enough". "Enough", for instance, could be attempting to assassinate the president, or it could just be looking at him funny.

I am really suspicious of Yosariwen at this point, and I'm surprised that more people aren't.
Ortohoops wrote:tl;dr? Our best percentage play is lynching lurkers now on the basis of early lynches being closest to random. The percentage we may lose is lynching a possibly less scummy player is more than made up in keeping the most active players alive now. This boosts the average activity per player, and means the consensus for a lynch is more thoroughly discussed, which is good.
Let's take the already somewhat random early lynches and make them more random by adding (what is in the early stages an) arbitrary criterion? How is this exactly a "good plan"?
Raging Wishbone wrote:Sorry I still don't get it, there was not 50% of the votes places on Incangnitoan?
Pay attention, dumbass.

PL totally overreacts to tajo's suspicion of it. That's so adorably hilarious and worse than what Yosariwen has done.

My suspicions lie firmly in the Pesco Light camp, although I have no clue what other I thinks at the moment. I would not be opposed to a Yosariwen stringing-up at this point, but I think that can wait for now.

Vote: Pesco Light

Please note, as I believe has been said elsewhere, that I will not be signing my posts, nor will other I. We are as one, and one as we are, we have no need to separate our thoughts.
Are you kidding me sweety? I aint voting for PL, because you disguise a fart as some sort of diatribe that is suppossed to be an articulate argument! Lynch scum DUMBASS, not Townies!
Riveting analysis.
Yosariwen wrote:Yes and no. I pointed out Incamn's breadcrumbs because power role identification in this game has a very high reward versus risk. There are 3 scum among 14 players (~79% chance of mislynch with vig, ~70% chance of mislynch with sk). However, there are 3 possible scum power roles to 5 possible town (no greater than 40% chance of mislynching, if all five are in the game and at least 2 scum power roles exists. If less than five town power roles, chance of hitting scum by outing power roles increases).

At the time, "outting" Incamn's breadcrumbs had a much higher chance of hitting scum than voting randomly. However, I wasn't prepared to lynch on a fluid series of probability predictions. I said the breadcrumbing action itself was equally town and scum motivated - this is important to remember for all future breadcrumbing and claims; all remaining town power roles have a scum/anti-town counterpart with the similar inclinations to crumb/claim.

I am not endorsing that the town seeks out power roles to lynch; Incamn's isolated crumbing caught my eye, particularly after J-scope's overtly clueless reaction.
Is there an actual point here, or is it just a useless fluff and rhetoric wishy-washy half-assed explanation I'm seeing?
Frog Dodging
Frog Dodging
Townie
Frog Dodging
Townie
Townie

Post Post #145 (isolation #5) » Wed Apr 29, 2009 6:00 am

Post by Frog Dodging »

Ortohoops wrote:I don't like the inherent WIFOM of this. If you think analysing the wagon will yield useful information (despite this apparently contradicting your previous paragraph), you are intrinsically assuming the scum kill was not made to deliberately paint these players in a bad light.
Why would you assume something before you have reason to assume it? I'd say that Yosariwen pointing out the breadcrumb thus signaling to the scum "HEY-O POWER ROLE HERE" is a much better reason for the kill than to frame 5 people on a bandwagon.
Ortohoops wrote:Additionally, while suggesting we should be analysing the wagon, you then proceed to make absolutely no moves towards doing so yourself. It also goes without saying that you also give no reasons why exactly Yosariwen is scummy.
I already broke down the likely reasons for all five votes in one of my posts.
Yosariwen wrote:
Frog Dodging wrote:explanation
That's exactly what you're seeing - Wishbone and company asked for an explanation and got one. Are you
really
trying to make a requested response seem scummy?

If reading comprehension is the issue, my point can be summarized as: there was no reason to assume Camn's breadcrumbing came from a town player. Power roles of both alignments have motive to crumb their action, and hitting a power role at random is more likely to hit scum than hitting any play at random.
No, I'm not trying to make a requested response seem scummy. I actually think that you're trying to play victim by asking that question there. Hint - the poor me act doesn't fly with me, so you're not getting too far. I doubt the poor me act flies with other me as well, so really, not helping.

You're also basically saying that Incamn was guilty until proven innocent, which is completely ass-backwards here. Power roles of both alignments have motive to crumb their action, yes. However, pointing it out will either tell the scum what they already know or say "HEY-O POWER ROLE HERE" to them.
Yosariwen wrote:Incamn's crumbing is neutral for now, as there are multiple data roles than can be of either alignment and would benefit from early crumbs. Currently a null tell.
Explain "Incamn's crumbing was a null-tell" v. "Incamn's crumbing was more likely to be scum than town" to me, please.

We're going to
Unvote, vote: Yosariwen
at this time.
Frog Dodging
Frog Dodging
Townie
Frog Dodging
Townie
Townie

Post Post #147 (isolation #6) » Wed Apr 29, 2009 6:22 am

Post by Frog Dodging »

sex w/ shafteds wife club's explanation for why he was talking about how incam is town doesn't hold water. If he was worried about the wagon, the sum total of his defense of incam should not have been "I'm leaning town in Incamn." Yet this is what (s)he is implying here: "Yes why in god's name would I want people to stop bandwagoning an obv townie in a speed game? Shame on me!" Why pressure? Because it doesn't look right, that's why. Why the hell does he suddenly and smarmily declare that he
knew
incam was town after incam dies? It's a big fat "I TOLD YOU SO" and looks worse when you consider the timings based on what Yosariwen has pointed out so far. I don't like this hydra.

Yosariwen is also guilty of calling incam town but not acting on it, but with the lack of 'I told you so,' I can't take that so seriously. nuwen's logic simply is bleh - to out the power role but not to attack it invites the worst of both worlds.

We're clearly not actively lurking. That's such a massively idiotic suggestion that it barely deserves consideration.
Frog Dodging
Frog Dodging
Townie
Frog Dodging
Townie
Townie

Post Post #164 (isolation #7) » Wed Apr 29, 2009 11:11 pm

Post by Frog Dodging »

Yosariwen wrote:
Frog Dodging wrote:
Why would you assume something before you have reason to assume it? I'd say that Yosariwen pointing out the breadcrumb thus signaling to the scum "HEY-O POWER ROLE HERE" is a much better reason for the kill than to frame 5 people on a bandwagon.
Why are you assuming it was a scum kill, Frog? Especally considering that there were 5 votes on the wagon, I wouldn't at all be surprised if the Incamn kill was a compulsive vig (remember, if there is a compulsive vig, that role has to kill every single action phase, every 96 hours.)
Because I have enough faith in humanity to assume that a compulsive vig of sound mind wouldn't kill a breadcrumbed power role who was acting quite town for no other reason than they "might be scum"? Plus now we've just confirmed that it was the scum kill, unless the scum has decided that killing one of their own power roles would be a good idea for today.

Yosariwen is the way to go right now, guys.
Frog Dodging
Frog Dodging
Townie
Frog Dodging
Townie
Townie

Post Post #185 (isolation #8) » Thu Apr 30, 2009 6:52 am

Post by Frog Dodging »

talking about "effectively having no lynched" and how massively we're behind is misleading. We can catch up lynches if we lynch quickly. So let's lynch yosariwen quickly, plzkthx.
Now, the main point I feel the need to really stress out here is less talking, more lynching
These two things are not mutually exclusive.

I am very much against rushing a lynch or two, especially when the reasoning is that based on one previous speed game run, 3 out of four of the scum corresponded to one particular stereotype. Furthermore, the idea that its ok because days 1 and 2 we're random lynching anyway is just grade a bullshit - the reason later days are more informative is because we have spent time and effort discussing the day 1 and two lynches. I've lost track of the amount of times scum have been caught because they've just wagoned onto the easy lynches all the time with no independent opinion - but that's the sort of analysis we can only make if we're playing the game properly and not mucking around with fancy plans.
Raging Wishbone wrote:
Raging Wishbone wrote: Now, the main point I feel the need to really stress out here is
less talking, more lynching
. Seriously. With a new scumkill every 84 hours (that isn't in any way balanced out by the town PRs, especially given the possible SK), we should be hurrying this up substantially. 84 hours without a lynch is the equivalent of voting no lynch in a regular game day. This is the one game where it's more important to be quick and decisive than to think things through from every possible angle. This phase ends in two hours so it's too late, but during the next one I think at least two lynches are in order to make up for it.

What you need to remember is that lynching doesn't end the day here. It therefore costs the town much less. What does "end the day" is doing nothing. So less talking, more bloodshed people!
Frankly, a lynch is not guaranteed to be a good thing for the town. It's only useful if we lynch in an informed manner, rather than a crazed and hectic one

Hoopla's long post is right on target, though I'm pretty sure at least one scum will implement this and go way active. So we shouldn't just lynch people based on number of posts, but rather based on whether or not they prove helpful in bringing this game forward. Scum has a huge incentive to stall this game, which could be achived by starting longass arguments, for example, even better than by lurking.
I don't see why we're assuming scum will play a carbon copy of the other game anyway - nor do I see any indication that that was what DGB did in war in heaven. If we say that scum are only x, y and z type of people, then it's way too easy for scum just to avoid the prescribed scumtells and never be lynched. We need to stop thinking so much about this, frankly. It's really very simple. We play mafia, just at twice/thrice/quicker the normal pace.

Thus far I see Frod Dodging being useless, arguing against Orthoops' plan (meaning supporting slowing down the game, meanig bad) and then after being called out on it immediately upping the aggressive with a vote on Yosariwen, who thus far feels strongly town. That's definitely good enough for a
vote: frog dodging
The idea that because we don't support ortohoops' plan means we are in favour of slowing down the game is bullshit. And we haven't been useless. We've called out Yosariwen, we've got some interesting stuff on SWSWC. We've pointed out idiocy where we've seen it.
Raging Wishbone wrote:I'm not at all suspicious of Yosariwen, the crumbing, while a bad move, feels like unnatural play for scum (especially smart scum), and while I've never played with Nuwen, Yos feels like his town self thus far.
This is just wrong.

Whether or not it is poor scumplay depends on what they were trying to achieve. If, for example, they were a scum power role trying to get another scum to send in the kill because they wanted to use their power role instead, it would have been a good play. If they were fishing for confirmation of incam's role by looking for his/her reactions, it would have been a good play. Or hell, it could just be poor scumplay - and it makes more sense as poor scumplay than as poor town play. Why the hell are they searching posts for breadcrumbs anyway? I know I didn't see it (and actually, I still don't - my partner claims he does, though. Not really important any more.)

Honestly, no town has "ooh, a power role tell, let's point it out" as their first reaction on seeing a breadcrumb. They tend to keep it to themselves - town are always scared of outing power roles. That's a constant. Careless scum, however, may well blurt it out.

Yos is also not his usual self. I would expect yos to be slightly more angry at this point in his wagon rather than conciliatory. I would also have expected him to start scumhunting by now rather than questioning people. I would definitely expect him to have called out the lurkers, and I would definitely expect him to be more actively involved in the game rather than just sitting around asking questions. It's no good asking questions if you don't respond to the answers.
Frog Dodging
Frog Dodging
Townie
Frog Dodging
Townie
Townie

Post Post #331 (isolation #9) » Sat May 02, 2009 6:44 am

Post by Frog Dodging »

I'm not at all suspicious of Yosariwen, the crumbing, while a bad move, feels like unnatural play for scum (especially smart scum), and while I've never played with Nuwen, Yos feels like his town self thus far.
This sort of argument is of seriously questionable value. One of our heads (Shanba) used this sort of argument before:

I have been vocal pretty mcuh all game that I think Oman is pro-town, based on his cock up attacking whoever it was based on a mistake in reading his rolename - he counterclaimed another player who he thoguht had claimed his rolename. Frankly, although we know scum have fakeclaims, I don't think scum would counterclaim in that situation. I just don't think it would even cross their mind. I wonder whether Oman clearing me is partly based on OMGUT, then - he's been influenced by me calling him town? Wouldn't be the first time I'd seen that. I'm not too bothered by it, frankly.
Similar sort of argument - it's just unnatural scum play - and it turned out to be 100% utterly wrong. Oman was scum who only really got lynched through an unfortunate process of elimination.

Another example, from Mini 443, Tapioca Mafia;
Aimee wrote:
The main reason I do not suspect Shanba is because of the following - why would Shanba basically spend all of day 1 attacking a d8P and Khelvaster partnership? Although it could be proven it was to show he was more town after their lynches, I am sure Shanba would agree completely that as scum, it would be very risky to argue tirelessly to lynch your two partners. As a result I am pretty sure that, to conclude, Shanba is pro-town for now, and would thus argue he is not the right lynch for today.
Shanba was a godfather who had bussed both his goons starting day 1. It is so easy to manipulate expectations of what town expect scum to do, what town have heard or seen scum do before. What I have learnt is that one of the cornerstones of scum play is to do something unusual, take a stance that is unpopular, move in ways town do not expect you to go - and then town write you off because, well, "scum would never do that." I realise the analogies are not perfect, but the underlying principle - beware the unexpected - remains the same.

When I see a play that there is no reason (or only poor reasoning) for town to do, these days, I immediately become suspicious.

If we combine this with the
massive
inconsistency that J-Scope pointed out, I find it extraordinarily unlikely that Yosariwen is town.

Yos is also, now, not reading the game thoroughly. He claims there was no contradiction - proving that he has not read J-scope's post, where he points out a contradiction. If he were aware of even an alleged contradiction, then he would not act so affronted when it is referenced by Hogfather.

He also claimed there was no non-crumb case against him - when we had already bought up a couple points against them which do not rely at all on the crumb post. Again, his reaction indicates he hasn't even seen this post by us. Which is extremely worrying - it really, really worries me when a player under this much pressure is only skimming the game. I have only my own experience on this (not even my partner's, who I cannot consult at the moment - he'll be back tomorrow) but people who skim the game like that, who aren't really aware of what is actually being said, are so often scum. I know for a fact that when I'm feeling lazy as scum I do this. If you don't actually care about who scum is - seeing as you already know - it becomes almost irrelevant what people are actually saying. You just need to read enough to give the illusion of scumhunting.

OTOH I don't think Yosariwen refusing to claim says anything about their alignment - it just means they are confident they won't be lynched. As either alignment in that situation, they would refuse to claim.

I want to look at the AIM convo in some depth - I really think this could be the key thing in determining their alignment.
8:52:11 PM Mercuriala: guh, this sounds like a ringing endorsement for a power role witch hunt, which -seems- like a sub-optimal way to catch scum. But the numbers!
8:52:34 PM ArtherDent: Heh. I'm glad you have a good justification lined up
8:53:41 PM Mercuriala: I tend to have reasons for everything. I probably should have explained myself prior, whoops.
8:53:54 PM ArtherDent: Eh, 's all right.
8:54:47 PM ArtherDent: One suggestion...you may want to sign that post
8:55:11 PM ArtherDent: I'm sure most of them will figure out it's coming from you and not me, but still, we don't need this getting any more confused then it already is, hah
8:55:20 PM Mercuriala: Indeed.
8:56:07 PM Mercuriala: A skimmer like Jdodge might very well latch onto "two conflicting posts OMGOMGOMG" for three plus pages.
8:56:22 PM ArtherDent: Yeah
8:57:08 PM Mercuriala: I am also changing Yosariwen's phpbb style. Do you have any sepia allergies?
8:57:17 PM ArtherDent: Heh. Not to my knowlege
8:59:43 PM Mercuriala: Deep south tends to reward lynching every claimed player.
9:00:00 PM Mercuriala: Just based on the higher 50-50 distribution of open power roles.
9:00:17 PM ArtherDent: Eh; I disagree
9:00:40 PM ArtherDent: Lynching a power role, especally an information role, costs the town so much more then lynching a vanillia does
9:00:59 PM Mercuriala: Yeah, the cost of a mislynch is far higher.
9:01:06 PM Mercuriala: But the chance of it is much lower.
9:01:31 PM ArtherDent: Eh...well, except that if someone is a power role, you can also get infromation from how they use their power role
9:01:42 PM ArtherDent: Not to mention, if they have an info role, you get even more information
9:02:33 PM ArtherDent: Actually, I would tend to lean to the other extreme; in a mafia game like this, the goal of the town is often to get enough information so they can quicklynch everyone who DOSN'T have a confirmable claim or some role-based way of confirming them as town
9:02:46 PM Mercuriala: Consider also the mexican standoff of claims that can happen in a deep south lylo; there are only so many claim/alignment combinations that can explain how actions resolved.
9:03:11 PM Mercuriala: Which is a great place for town to be in.
9:03:24 PM ArtherDent: Very true
9:04:23 PM ArtherDent: Also; let's say you lynch all power roles, town and scum. In that case, you kind of make it into a mountanous game; and town has historically had a very, very bad record in mountanous games
9:05:17 PM Mercuriala: Also true.
This first thing is that there are no real issues in the timestamping. If there were large chunks of time unaccounted for, then that would be a strong indicator the conversation had been doctored. It's still possible it has - though if it has, it's been done extremely well. All the comments fit together and there are no jarring moments where comments don't fit.

The convo is mostly theoretical in nature - and as such, could have been had between a town hydra or a scum hydra. There are a few things that make me lean either way. Firstly, "8:52:34 PM ArtherDent: Heh. I'm glad you have a good justification lined up" - this looks slightly scummy to me. Concerned about appearances blah blah blah. Nothing damning. I don't really understand why Yos wants Nuwen to sign the post. Which post? It's obviously not the original post, this is from after that. I think, looking at stuff that follows, that it is Yosariwen's Post 8 - and this also finally explains the contradiction.

Let me run this through, this is a sort of epiphany I've had just now.

Yosarian posts that he wishes Nuwen hadn't pointed out the breadcrumb, because he feels it was a poor play.

Nuwen the posts that she wanted to run by the idea of
lynching
these people with Yosarian - and in the AIM convo, that is more or less what she does. She was not running the idea of outing the breadcrumb past Yosarian - she did that independently - but due to miscommunication and a small amount of talking at cross purposes - J-scope's question is about the following quote
hitting a power role at random is more likely to hit scum than hitting any play at random.
and he asks whether she felt that at that time - and therefore whether it influenced Nuwen's decision to out the crumbing - but Nuwen's reply (Mmhm, but I wanted to run the idea by my hydra partner prior.) is about the idea of
lynching
those claims, not about the specific breadcrumb post.

Hrm. That wasn't the dealbreaker/maker I was hoping for. The AIM convo is too focused on that one particular issue - the crumbing post - and tbh, could have been written by scum or by town. I think there is a decent amount of concern about appearances (which
is
scummy, if not amazingly so) but there is also the fact that the situation is discussed
from a town perspective - this will hurt town, this will aid town, this is a great position for town etc. etc.

I really, really want to see some proper scumhunting from these two ASAP. There is no reason that when you are under attack you cannot do both. Yos' only attempts at scumhunting have been weak and OMGUSsy (again, things like the idea that I slipped just make my eyes roll. I have never, not once in my mafia playing career, seen a "slip" I believed in. He's right I didn't even consider the possibility of a town kill. Why is that scummy? Prior knowledge left testicle - when I see a player die, and that player is the only player to die, I think scum. Town don't always have a kill, scum almost always do! (Also, for the record Yos, it was not a bizarre misinterpretation, it's actually a very easy misinterpretation to make. I've had to read the exchange about three times, compare to your AIM convo and take some time to reflect on it before I finally understood what was going on. We don't have access to your minds, we oly have what you wrote, here, in thread to go on - and with what we have here, in thread, it looked like a contradiction.)

Raging Rabbit - If you continue to insinuate that I am scum simply because I am disagreeing with you, then there's really no point in arguing. I'm not going to waste time trying to convince a player who is clearly so motivated by his ideology that he can't even consider that town could have a differing opinion than him.
To approach this as "a noraml game of mafia, only twice as fast" is suicide, unless you're scum of course. which is starting to look more and more likely.
Not only is this a strawman, it's also a logical fallacy disguised by being slipped in as an insinuation.

Basically, it comes down to this. I think that if we go into this with the eye to lynching as much as possible, we will make it very easy for scum to push any lynch that they want. We need to lynch when we have a majority of players that a re reasonably convinced a player is scum - like in any normal mafia game. Otherwise, we risk scenarios like this:

TOWN A: *Scummy remakr*
TOWN B: OMG SCUM LYNCHGOLYNCH
SCUM A: I AGREE LYNCHGOGO
SCUM B: LYNCHLYNCHLYNCH
TOWN C: Big wagon, hrm, since we need to lynch as much as possible, I will join in!

*TOWN A IS LYNCHED*

And then the next day:

SCUM A: *Scummy remark*
TOWN B: OMGSCUMLYNCHGOGOG
SCUM B: Eh, I'm not convinced.
TOWN C: Too much resistance to this wagon, we need to lynch quickly, let's go after someone else!

Do you see what I mean? The idea of lynching lurkers days 1 and 2 etc make it even worse - it's so easy for scum to just push the attention off their partners when they get in trouble but push any townie wagons - and because we need to lynch quickly, we go after the easy lynches, and because we're lynching quickly and we're rushing, we never have the opportunity to go back and spot these connections after all. Personally, I would prefer one informed lynch a day to two rushed lynches a day.

I agree with Zaphod Beeblebrox that Raging Wishbone's vote on Yosariwen is scummy. I don't agree with the signing the hydra heads, thing, but then we as a hydra have already discussed this and I don't feel like going into any more depth. The only reason this post is only expressing my views is that my partner is absent, otherwise I would be communicating his viewpoints as well.

I need to re-evaluate slightly. I still think Yos is a good lynch, but I've lost track of swswc somewhat - and there are other players (notably DTH, PTA, RW) who I want to have an in depth chat with JD about.
Frog Dodging
Frog Dodging
Townie
Frog Dodging
Townie
Townie

Post Post #334 (isolation #10) » Sat May 02, 2009 8:54 am

Post by Frog Dodging »

Yosarian2 wrote:
Death the Hogfather wrote: Yosariwen (the total contradiction in explaining the crumb-outing is enough for a vote for me
You need to explain this. Now. Because I have not contradicted myself at all, and as far as I can see, neither has Nuwen. And from where i sit, right now it looks like you've from lurking all game to just making stuff up in order to find an excuse to get on the yoswagon.
Yos, this is the post I am referring to. It doesn't matter whwther or not the contradiction is true - what matters is that you accused him of making stuff up, and you seemed completely unaware of what he was talking about, even though J-Scope had already pointed it out.

Similarly, we made a number of points here
Frog Dodging wrote:
Yos is also not his usual self. I would expect yos to be slightly more angry at this point in his wagon rather than conciliatory. I would also have expected him to start scumhunting by now rather than questioning people. I would definitely expect him to have called out the lurkers, and I would definitely expect him to be more actively involved in the game rather than just sitting around asking questions. It's no good asking questions if you don't respond to the answers.
Which you ignore in your response to Ortohoops about 18 hours later
Yosariwen wrote:
Ortohoops wrote:Their actions were bizarre enough for players of their standards - they've had multiple pressing cases against them in areas not even crumb-outing related
Now, that seems completly untrue to me. What valid argument was there made against me that wasn't entirely based on that one post of Nuwen's?

I'm not sure why you're accusing ME of skimming the thread, when you're apparently not reading my posts...
Tu quoque? I was addressing this all from a "Catch up" perspective - meaning I hadn't read that post yet.
Well, sure. I mean, we *were* trying to not get lynched at the time, so yeah, I was worried about how we would appear. Worring about appearances in general may be a scum tell, but it's certanly not one when you're fighting for your life.
Misleading. You weren't under fear for your life at the time you had the conversation.
Frog Dodging
Frog Dodging
Townie
Frog Dodging
Townie
Townie

Post Post #343 (isolation #11) » Sat May 02, 2009 9:57 am

Post by Frog Dodging »

Looking back at the thread...I believe the conversation happend Thursday night, close to 9:00 PM, a few hours before Nuwen made our Yosariween post #8. Looking at the most recent votecount, we had 5 votes on us already then, and the main topic of conversation was the attack on us. So, yeah, we were "in fear of our life" at that point.
Nuwen wrote:

Timestamp of my original "whoa, crumbs" post: Sun Apr 26, 2009 7:45 pm (CST)

Conversation with Yos: Sunday, April 26, 2009 8:52:11 PM (CST)
Frog Dodging
Frog Dodging
Townie
Frog Dodging
Townie
Townie

Post Post #365 (isolation #12) » Sat May 02, 2009 12:05 pm

Post by Frog Dodging »

Hah, you have no idea how close I was to unvoting there. I'm so glad I didn't.

Flavour reveals the dead, specifically, as Armenian Mafia. We know we have two killing groups. What are the odds that there are two scumgroups? I know two scumgroups is always tight in a game this size, but it's a possibility.

Regardless, I aboslutely agree on the Raging Wishbone thing. His vote on Yos2 at the end of the day looks really odd - especially when a lot of the really damning stuff (e.g. the faux-contradiction) has already been cleared up. If there are three players' in Yos' group, then I would call it pretty likely that RW was in there.
Zaphod wrote:
I am not trying to start a wagon on you, I asked for other player's opinions for the purpose of discussing.
You may be cool enough to store a side of pork in for a month, but this kind of wordplay is not kosher. When you ask for discussion about an action, you presumably want discussion for some reason - and when you say that you think it is scummy, you are starting it off on whether or not the action is scummy. Which is how bandwagons are formed.

Again, I need to discuss stuff with my partner. There's a lot we need to get through.
Frog Dodging
Frog Dodging
Townie
Frog Dodging
Townie
Townie

Post Post #403 (isolation #13) » Sun May 03, 2009 5:45 am

Post by Frog Dodging »

I'm... hrm. The more I think about it, the more uncomfortable I get with the idea of lynching Raging Wishbone. Yosarian is an experienced player. He knows what people look for, surely he must have known that last minute distancing like that would be very, very unlikely to clear RW. At best, people would discount it, at worst, they would go after him. Like they are doing. Now, I know this is massively speculative, but... what if Yos looked at RW's play and decided to leave a connection to him? I've done that before as scum - deliberately tried to connect myself to a town player by pretending to bus him.

RW is a bit weird. It's really hard to follow the train of their thoughts, since they're playing in a way that goes to neither extreme - they're not signing their posts and they're not playing it as if they were one player (each of them posting different thoughts) so it's a little tricky to work out what's going on. However, there is one thing that bugs me. One half of the hydra thought that Yos was pro-town - fair enough. One half keeps saying that he has no read on Yos and he'll vote for him if the other partner agrees. Do you see the issue here? Why would one half think the other half would want to vote yosariwen when that other half thinks yosariwen is town?

OTOH, I don't think the sudden turnaround is as telling as others do. It's p. clearly a case of one side (the side who thought Yos looked neutral) taking control as the other half drifted, seeing something new he disliked (the AIM convo) changed his opinion and changed the hydra's vote.

Are they scum? Hard to say. They certainly aren't communicating well, and it's hard to follow what they're thinking - that's not a scumtell. There's an element of "their stories don't add up" that is vaguely reminiscent of the yosariwen thing. I don't get the feeling they're talking much about the game as a hydra. All in all, although they're a perfectly decent lynch, I don't want to vote them. Again, my partner has been unable to catch up so I haven't been able to bounce any of this back off him.
Frog Dodging
Frog Dodging
Townie
Frog Dodging
Townie
Townie

Post Post #427 (isolation #14) » Sun May 03, 2009 10:26 pm

Post by Frog Dodging »

Pokethealpaca is dead. This causes me and my partner at once an issue and an opportunity.

The issue is that we have to claim, and at the same time potentially out a very pozerful town role. But we can't afford to not out them - in this setup, we could die at any time and our info go buried to the grave. And there's a strong chance we have scum nailed.

We are a tracker, and we tracked a player, this action phase, to pokethealpaca. We both agreedd that if pta turned up dead, we would have to out them. They could either be mafia, SK or compulsive vig. We don't really want the compulsive vig outed, especially after they've nailed a scumbag for us, but if it's an SK instead there's a strong chance that they never claim and just stay under the radar for the whole game - after all, an S is not going to claim a role that gives them a 50% chance of being scum!

The player we tracked was swswc based on our early suspicions of them after the incam kill. Either they'll confim our claim or they'll deny it - if they deny it, we lynch them, since you know either us or them must be scum, and since we would not be so foolish as set ourselves up for a lynch as individual scum, you can know it is them who is lying. If they confirm it, then they must be mlynched at some point. There's really no point letting them survive till the endgame where they could potentially steal it from town.
Frog Dodging
Frog Dodging
Townie
Frog Dodging
Townie
Townie

Post Post #440 (isolation #15) » Mon May 04, 2009 6:32 am

Post by Frog Dodging »

Action Phase 1 we tracked Yosariwen, who strangely enough we got no result on. Also, I've discussed this with my partner and we've realized there's almost no downside to claiming who we're going to track next. ZMD, if you are a non-doc power role, do not target us. If you're scum and you target us, there's a good chance we'll see you.

Also, reduce the suspect pool etc. etc.
Vote Death the Hogfather
ciao!
Frog Dodging
Frog Dodging
Townie
Frog Dodging
Townie
Townie

Post Post #443 (isolation #16) » Mon May 04, 2009 7:03 am

Post by Frog Dodging »

Apples and Banana wrote:Frog, have you submitted that choice?
Yes. Why do you ask?

Return to “Completed Large Theme Games”