rite
Shameless Bandwagoner
rite
Shameless Bandwagoner
Shameless Bandwagoner

Post Post #26 (isolation #0) » Mon Nov 23, 2009 1:27 pm

Post by rite »

First, sorry for not being around-- it's been a wild weekend/monday
@rite: Who do you think is most likely to lurk as scum? (Is it you?) Why?
Are you asking me out of the player list who I think would be most likely to lurk, if they were scum? Unfortunately I just returned to the site after an absence of literally years, and I don't think I recognize anyone in this game (apologies in advance if I've played with you before!)

I can answer for myself, though. I tend not to be an incredibly talkative mafia player, as scum or town, and even though I'm going to try to dedicate myself, I can tell you that in the past I've been prodded for lurking, pretty much equally when I'm scum or when I'm town. Basically, while I may be one of the town members most likely to lurk, I don't think that would tell you anything about my role, unfortunately.

Also, just to make sure I get the game mechanics right, Val doesn't have to listen to anything anyone says, right? She can fire at will?
rite
rite
Shameless Bandwagoner
rite
Shameless Bandwagoner
Shameless Bandwagoner

Post Post #47 (isolation #1) » Tue Nov 24, 2009 9:15 am

Post by rite »

I think Bogre's line of thinking is that if you're shot, and you're town, you don't die, so there's nothing to be afraid of.

I'm not sure I agree; or, more clearly, I think I might be on Xyl's side on this one. Even though it might be more fun to play in a game until the end, a town win is a town win, and your priority should be ensuring the win of the town, not your personal survival.
rite
rite
Shameless Bandwagoner
rite
Shameless Bandwagoner
Shameless Bandwagoner

Post Post #52 (isolation #2) » Tue Nov 24, 2009 2:53 pm

Post by rite »

For what it's worth, I just (mis?)interpreted
I most definitely want to avoid being shot, because it will be a loss to town. But I am not -afraid- of it...do you see the distinction? Scum have the most to lose from being targetted, not town.
to be a reference to the mechanics of the Popcorn Mafia, namely, that townies still live when targeted, whereas scum are booted from the game. Sorry if I misunderstood.

That said, I'm confused as to why you haven't elaborated on your answer to Vala. I think we can all agree that "unless you want to give me the gun, don't shoot me" is simply a way of saying "I'm a townie so don't shoot me." We all know that. Tell us something we don't know, if only to give Vala (and the rest of us) a sense of how you play.
rite
rite
Shameless Bandwagoner
rite
Shameless Bandwagoner
Shameless Bandwagoner

Post Post #53 (isolation #3) » Tue Nov 24, 2009 2:55 pm

Post by rite »

To clarify on how I misinterpreted the quote (I just looked over it again and realized it could be confusing), I thought you were saying that this game was DIFFERENT because you weren't afraid of being shot. That's why I thought you were thinking of personal survival.
rite
rite
Shameless Bandwagoner
rite
Shameless Bandwagoner
Shameless Bandwagoner

Post Post #58 (isolation #4) » Tue Nov 24, 2009 4:19 pm

Post by rite »

Xylthixlm wrote:The thing we already know is that you'll say you're town.
Yes, this.

Also,
FoS: Bogre
, at the very least until you answer answer Vala's question. I still don't understand why you haven't.
rite
rite
Shameless Bandwagoner
rite
Shameless Bandwagoner
Shameless Bandwagoner

Post Post #77 (isolation #5) » Wed Nov 25, 2009 3:32 pm

Post by rite »

FoS
on Bogre still stands.

I don't believe you answered in a way "that you knew would garner reactions." In fact, you answered in a way that seemed like someone who just wanted to slip under the radar, and then when we called you on it, you got flustered and changed the subject.

I'd say I'm about 60:40 as to whether you're scum or just poorly playing town. Does anybody have experience playing with Bogre? Is this usual for him?

As for Xyl, I agree that he's rabid, but I get the sense that this is just how he plays? Again, has anyone played with him before, is this usual?
rite
rite
Shameless Bandwagoner
rite
Shameless Bandwagoner
Shameless Bandwagoner

Post Post #81 (isolation #6) » Wed Nov 25, 2009 3:39 pm

Post by rite »

Bogre wrote: I mean, no one can cause my death except myself, so its really moot on what anyone else thinks of -me-.
Posted before I saw Bogre's latest post. No, dude, it's not moot at all. This is the point I was trying to make earlier. You're acting as if your goal is to survive through the game. It's not. If you're a townie, your goal is for town to win. If you're scum, your goal is for scum to win. There is no "luxury of this game" in terms of strategy. Things still work the same from a game theory angle. You don't want to make yourself a target because it will be bad for the town. (if you're a townie. if you're scum, you still don't want to make yourself a target.)
rite
rite
Shameless Bandwagoner
rite
Shameless Bandwagoner
Shameless Bandwagoner

Post Post #83 (isolation #7) » Wed Nov 25, 2009 4:01 pm

Post by rite »

Xylthixlm wrote:If we're lucky Bogre is scum trying to seem like a townie trying to get the gun. If we're unlucky Bogre is a townie who is playing against the town. Either way I want him dead as soon as possible.
But if the latter is true, he'll just have the gun. Is that something we want?
rite
rite
Shameless Bandwagoner
rite
Shameless Bandwagoner
Shameless Bandwagoner

Post Post #120 (isolation #8) » Fri Nov 27, 2009 2:08 am

Post by rite »

For what it's worth, at this point, Bogre's my number one choice for a target, ortolan my second.
ortolan wrote: rite has the consistent defensive and self-explanatory tone which I associate with newb-scum.

[snip]

Town players don't want to give information like this so that they can be evaluated "fairly", they want to convince others that they're town. It looks like he is going out of his way to appear "honest" rather than acting how a townie actually would- trying to convince people that they're town.
Maybe the meta of the site has just changed since I've played here, but I stridently disagree that you can tell townies are townies because they want to convince others they're town. Scum don't want to be evaluated "fairly," they want to convince others they're town.

Also, you first say you associate newb scum with being "defensive," then say you associate them with giving out information so they can be "evaulated 'fairly'". I don't understand; these two appear to be at odds.

Your attacking of DoS for answering a question represents either a fundamental misreading of the game, or an eagerness to attack SOMEONE that is often displayed by scum.
rite
rite
Shameless Bandwagoner
rite
Shameless Bandwagoner
Shameless Bandwagoner

Post Post #154 (isolation #9) » Wed Dec 02, 2009 6:12 am

Post by rite »

Checking in because I've been prodded. Sorry I've been busy, new job.

Honestly, I don't have much new to add. Xyl's list pretty much corresponds to my "suspicious" list, though I wouldn't go as far to say that I'm confident that all or the majority of them are scum.

Bogre's still my number one scum guess, Vala, I want to make sure that's clear.
rite
rite
Shameless Bandwagoner
rite
Shameless Bandwagoner
Shameless Bandwagoner

Post Post #179 (isolation #10) » Wed Dec 02, 2009 7:28 pm

Post by rite »

Vala Mal Doran wrote:
rite wrote:Checking in because I've been prodded. Sorry I've been busy, new job.

Honestly, I don't have much new to add. Xyl's list pretty much corresponds to my "suspicious" list,
though I wouldn't go as far to say that I'm confident that all or the majority of them are scum.

Bogre's still my number one scum guess, Vala, I want to make sure that's clear.
This entire post strikes me as playing it too safe, particularly the bolded part. Let's take the scumlist of a respected MSer and agree with it while simultaneously saying "but I could be wrong, lol". If you're town, you really don't need to cover yourself with a disclaimer like that. If you're scum, it's a good thing to point back at later with a, "don't blame me that they all flipped town, I said I wasn't sure." I also think Bogre is more likely to be an easy scapegoat rather than actually scum, but that's just how he came across to me.

Maybe I'm just making a mountain out of a molehill, but rite seems like one of the better candidates to me atm. (Yeah, you heard me, I actually gave my opinion on someone.)
I understand now how it seemed, but I just wanted to check in quickly, note that I was still on Xyl's side, but that I didn't quite share his rabidness. I didn't see it as covering myself as much as letting you know my opinions, in case you were keeping a tally.

I will say that if I were scum (which I'm not), I don't think it would be wise to use a "hedging my bets" strategy in this particular situation. Unless I start to get as zealous as Xyl, he's the guy who people are going to pounce on if those guys get shot and all turn up town. I didn't really imagine that that particular relatively no-content post would get dragged up in the future, either way. Just wanted to let you know where I stood (and I do still stand by what I said).

On an unrelated note,
mod
I'm out of town on business until Monday, and my internet access will be sporadic if existent. I hope to check in at least a few times, especially because it seems like I might be on the chopping block or close to it*, but I can't promise anything.

*and yes, for the record, everything I've said previously about motivation stands. I want to defend myself from the chopping block because I don't want a townie to die, not because I've got a survival instinct.

also, drake clearly doesn't understand the strategy we talked about and confirmed pages ago, but I don't think that makes him scum.
rite
rite
Shameless Bandwagoner
rite
Shameless Bandwagoner
Shameless Bandwagoner

Post Post #225 (isolation #11) » Mon Dec 07, 2009 6:13 pm

Post by rite »

mod: request replacement

Return to “Completed Mini Theme Games”