Mafia Scum

Post Post #900 (ISO) » Mon Feb 22, 2010 1:11 pm

Post by Elmo »

HackerHuck
blows away
HowardRoark
Mafia Goon

Town wins!

I'm curious what everyone thought of this setup, I'll give my thoughts a bit later.
Succinctness is pro-town.

Passion is inversely proportional to the amount of real information available. ~ Gregory Benford
ortolan
ortolan
Mafia Scum
ortolan
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #901 (ISO) » Mon Feb 22, 2010 2:36 pm

Post by ortolan »

weeeeeee. Thanks for modding.

I think the setup is rather town-biased myself.
Currently modding Mole Mafia: http://www.mafiascum.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=23&t=20529

Feel free to PM me to be ready in case I need a replacement.
AlmasterGM
AlmasterGM
Mafia Scum
AlmasterGM
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #902 (ISO) » Mon Feb 22, 2010 2:42 pm

Post by AlmasterGM »

Good game, everyone.
Bogre
Bogre
Mafia Scum
Bogre
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #903 (ISO) » Mon Feb 22, 2010 2:57 pm

Post by Bogre »

*shakes fist at sky* Grrr travel delays!

Good game, guys.
Show
Murder, Corruption, Betrayal.
ArmageddonMUD
www.armageddon.org

Scum do it in the Shadows.
Yosarian2
Yosarian2
(shrug)
Yosarian2
(shrug)
(shrug)

Post Post #904 (ISO) » Mon Feb 22, 2010 5:38 pm

Post by Yosarian2 »

ortolan wrote:weeeeeee. Thanks for modding.

I think the setup is rather town-biased myself.
Actually, I thought town was going to get crushed when Elmo told me about the setup, heh.

It was a fun game. It's apparently just a fact of nature that kingmaker games tend to be slower and lurkier then normal games; aside from that, everything went well.
I want us to win just for Yos' inevitable rant alone. -CrashTextDummie
HackerHuck
HackerHuck
Mafia Scum
HackerHuck
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #905 (ISO) » Mon Feb 22, 2010 5:42 pm

Post by HackerHuck »

I'll have to admit that I was a little surprised by that ending. Although I had been suspicious of Howard earlier on, I had a real nagging feeling that he was likely town and the last scum was either Yos or even -gasp- Xyl/Llamafluff. Fortunately, I didn't really come up with anything new on my reread, so I pulled the trigger thinking that Howard would shoot Yos if I had been wrong.

I'm not sure what I did to set off so many people into thinking I was scum, but a setup like this does seem to give the town a bit of a second chance. I'm not sure if it would throw off the balance too much, but I really think that the scum should have a chance to speak amongst themselves, whether it be at all times or limited to within XX hours of a gunshot. I'd be curious to know how the scum felt.
ortolan
ortolan
Mafia Scum
ortolan
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #906 (ISO) » Mon Feb 22, 2010 5:46 pm

Post by ortolan »

the scum did have daytalk. I'd like to see the qt actually
Currently modding Mole Mafia: http://www.mafiascum.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=23&t=20529

DrippingGoofball
DrippingGoofball
Mafia Piñata
DrippingGoofball
Mafia Piñata
Mafia Piñata

Post Post #907 (ISO) » Mon Feb 22, 2010 5:47 pm

Post by DrippingGoofball »

HackerHuck, you rat fink... ;-)
Paraphrasing a role PM takes seconds, fabricating a good fakeclaim takes an eternity.

"Metadiving DGB is like playing Roblox" - T3
"She's sort of like a quantum computer, her reads exist in multiple states at once. u have to take into account the other dimensions." - Morning Tweet
HackerHuck
HackerHuck
Mafia Scum
HackerHuck
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #908 (ISO) » Mon Feb 22, 2010 6:25 pm

Post by HackerHuck »

ortolan wrote:the scum did have daytalk. I'd like to see the qt actually
I hadn't caught that before. Of course I did try to click through to the link in the second post :lol:

You really had me going there Goofball, I honestly felt that I had shot wrong. I didn't seem to have a lot of support on the Nacho wagon, but I'm glad I took the shot. :)
ortolan
ortolan
Mafia Scum
ortolan
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #909 (ISO) » Mon Feb 22, 2010 7:51 pm

Post by ortolan »

I assumed DGB was telling the truth because I thought it would be counterproductive as scum to pretend to have been shot as town; you might unwittingly cause town-tells from townies or even scum-tells from your own team.

Yosarian2
Yosarian2
(shrug)
Yosarian2
(shrug)
(shrug)

Post Post #910 (ISO) » Mon Feb 22, 2010 11:37 pm

Post by Yosarian2 »

HackerHuck wrote:I'll have to admit that I was a little surprised by that ending. Although I had been suspicious of Howard earlier on, I had a real nagging feeling that he was likely town and the last scum was either Yos or even -gasp- Xyl/Llamafluff.
Yeah, you've got to watch out for "townie paranoia". That's when pro-town people start to suspect someone they've trusted for most of the game, for no good reason other then "wait...why was I trusting person X again?" Usually happens when a game drags on too long. It's really bad; that kind of paranoia costs towns a lot of games, especially when it's lynch or lose or when a vig gets paranoid.

I'm glad you made the right choice.
ortolan
ortolan
Mafia Scum
ortolan
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #911 (ISO) » Tue Feb 23, 2010 12:37 am

Post by ortolan »

yer I had that re: you Yos, I started off making sure I didn't tunnel on you at all after California Trilogy. But later in the game my paranoia probably restarted.

Sarag
Sarag
Goon
Sarag
Goon
Goon

Post Post #912 (ISO) » Tue Feb 23, 2010 12:46 am

Post by Sarag »

ortolan wrote:I think the setup is rather town-biased myself.
I don't know, it's true that there were some advantages the town had that they don't in a normal game - e.g. no night kill, which was very rough for us because we couldn't get rid of those obvtown players who were on to us. I expect Xyl and Yos would have gone early.

But I think it was quite well balanced, and possibly even favours scum a little. To be honest, the scum team didn't play very well for a lot of the game, and town were pretty good. I was the only scum that didn't replace out, and morale was pretty low at times. I didn't really click with any of my initial scum buddies, and coordination was near zero early in the game. Nacho was great when he replaced in and I think my own play was best middle to late day 2.

I consider this my first real game as scum (I have played in two other games on another site where I didn't get to play the role for more than one game day). It was pretty rough, but I certainly learned a lot.

Thanks to Elmo for running, and thanks to all the players.

Oh and Bogre listed three shots he was considering before the deadline, and they were all scum.
*twitches*
Sarag
Sarag
Goon
Sarag
Goon
Goon

Post Post #913 (ISO) » Tue Feb 23, 2010 12:49 am

Post by Sarag »

I'm ok with posting the qt if the others are.
*twitches*
Elmo
Elmo
Mafia Scum
Elmo
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #914 (ISO) » Tue Feb 23, 2010 2:22 am

Post by Elmo »

Yeah, Bogre's missed shot was fairly lucky, I did intend for that to be a small negative for the town rather than just an incentive to shoot, but in retrospect I wish I'd done something different; it seems a silly way to influence a game. I should probably have just said I'll lock the game until I receive it.
Vala Mal Doran wrote:
Shoot: Bogre

I've been intending to make this shot for a long time. Once rewq started posting especially, I knew I wasn't going to go after Drake like I had been considering because he partially resolved the issues I had with Drake. He doesn't quite make up for his predecessor's bad behaviour, but it's enough to move Bogre back up to the top spot.
Bogre wrote:So, here are my scum reads, and everyone has until deadline to give last thoughts:

Sarag- Slight
Nachomamma- Heavy
HowardRoark-Heavy

Noncontributors: DOS, Almaster, Ortolan
Also, something else I noticed (I bet Yos will love this):
Elmo's Prods, Days 1 & 2 wrote:
Vaya
Slicey
DraketheFake
&
Zakeri
have been prodded.
Vaya
DragonsofSummer
rite
DraketheFake
&
Bogre
have been prodded.
HowardRoark
replaces
Vaya
. Thanks!
DraketheFake
Sarag
&
Zakeri
have been prodded;
Slicey
&
rite
are V/LA.
Bogre
&
Vala Mal Doran
have been prodded.
HackerHuck
replaces
rite
. Thanks!
rewq455
replaces
DraketheFake
. Thanks!
DragonsofSummer
has been prodded.
Yosarian2
Sarag
&
Zakeri
have been prodded.
AlmasterGM
replaces
Zakeri
. Thanks!
ortolan
Slicey
&
Sarag
have been prodded.
Nachomamma8
replaces
rewq455
Maemuki
replaces
Slicey
. Thanks to both of you!
Prods
(22)
Scum are 4:8, so you would expect about 7 scum prods to 15 town prods. The final count is 11:11.
DraketheFake
: 3
Sarag
Zakeri

Bogre
: 2
DragonsofSummer
Slicey
Vaya

HackerHuck
: 1
ortolan
rite
Vala Mal Doran
Yosarian2

6 slots were replaced, 3:3 again. If you exclude Nacho's temp-replacement, then people flaking were 4 scum and 3 town.

I would imagine that this would work more accurately based on measurement relative to a moving average, since the activity of everyone dipped somewhat later on.

Passion is inversely proportional to the amount of real information available. ~ Gregory Benford
AlmasterGM
AlmasterGM
Mafia Scum
AlmasterGM
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #915 (ISO) » Tue Feb 23, 2010 8:22 am

Post by AlmasterGM »

QT here: http://www.quicktopic.com/43/H/N4j8CaHrVRg

I think we REALLY messed up on our gun distribution BOTH times. Because we had no NK, giving someone the gun and hoping they misfired was our only method of eliminating players. Thus, I felt the gun should have been handed to players like Xyl. This was a source of disagreement between myself and the other scum.

The QT is also not nearly as interesting as it could be. We did not plan our strategy incredibly well at all, which we could have, given our DT abilities.
Slicey
Slicey
Mafia Scum
Slicey
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #916 (ISO) » Tue Feb 23, 2010 8:50 am

Post by Slicey »

Hey sorry I had to replace out. Don't even remember why anymore.

Glad I guessed 3 out of the 4 scum correctly though. Had Sarag, Drake, and Howard pegged.
Taking a temporary retirement from playing mafia games... damn you invitationals.
Coming in Summer 2010: Yu-Gi-Oh: The Abridged Mafia. The most nonsensical game of mafia you'll ever play.
Note: V/LA most weekends, sorry.
LlamaFluff
LlamaFluff
Jack of All Trades
LlamaFluff
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #917 (ISO) » Tue Feb 23, 2010 9:59 am

Post by LlamaFluff »

Would be interesting to see this game play out a few more times, I think its very slightly a scum advantage overall, although with each scum death town chances go up quite a bit.

I would of pushed to give a big name gun as scum, chances of four straight kills is low, and a "mislynch" gets rid of someone who people consider "threats".

Glad I got the DTF read on, even if for some reason that made multiple people think I was scum. I mean, im all for bussing but not sure that was the right point to.
Co-host of The USL Show
GeoGuessr: USL Pony
Fall Guys: Scary Hopping Bonkus
Yosarian2
Yosarian2
(shrug)
Yosarian2
(shrug)
(shrug)

Post Post #918 (ISO) » Tue Feb 23, 2010 10:02 am

Post by Yosarian2 »

Elmo wrote:Yeah, Bogre's missed shot was fairly lucky, I did intend for that to be a small negative for the town rather than just an incentive to shoot, but in retrospect I wish I'd done something different; it seems a silly way to influence a game. I should probably have just said I'll lock the game until I receive it.
Neah, "shoot before deadline or the gun-bearer dies" is fine; it's a good parallel with "lynch before deadline or the day ends with a no-lynch (and the scum get to kill a townie for free)" in a normal game. If the gun-bearer needs to be replaced, then perhaps delay the deadline, but short of that, the rule's fine.
Also, something else I noticed (I bet Yos will love this):
Elmo's Prods, Days 1 & 2 wrote:
Vaya
Slicey
DraketheFake
&
Zakeri
have been prodded.
Vaya
DragonsofSummer
rite
DraketheFake
&
Bogre
have been prodded.
HowardRoark
replaces
Vaya
. Thanks!
DraketheFake
Sarag
&
Zakeri
have been prodded;
Slicey
&
rite
are V/LA.
Bogre
&
Vala Mal Doran
have been prodded.
HackerHuck
replaces
rite
. Thanks!
rewq455
replaces
DraketheFake
. Thanks!
DragonsofSummer
has been prodded.
Yosarian2
Sarag
&
Zakeri
have been prodded.
AlmasterGM
replaces
Zakeri
. Thanks!
ortolan
Slicey
&
Sarag
have been prodded.
Nachomamma8
replaces
rewq455
Maemuki
replaces
Slicey
. Thanks to both of you!
Prods
(22)
Scum are 4:8, so you would expect about 7 scum prods to 15 town prods. The final count is 11:11.
DraketheFake
Sarag
Zakeri

Bogre
DragonsofSummer
Slicey
Vaya

HackerHuck
ortolan
rite
Vala Mal Doran
Yosarian2

6 slots were replaced, 3:3 again. If you exclude Nacho's temp-replacement, then people flaking were 4 scum and 3 town.

I would imagine that this would work more accurately based on measurement relative to a moving average, since the activity of everyone dipped somewhat later on.
Awesome. Nuke all lurkers. ;)

Yeah, I really think that HR survived for so long despite really scummy play because most of the gunbearers were just unwilling to shoot a lurker, even a scummy looking one, and I think that tendency to let lurkers live hurt us.
Sarag
Sarag
Goon
Sarag
Goon
Goon

Post Post #919 (ISO) » Tue Feb 23, 2010 2:15 pm

Post by Sarag »

Speaking for myself, lurking was definitely a genuine scum tell in this game. The times when I fell behind for RL reasons were then exascerbated by poor confidence so I didn't leap back in the first chance I had. I was a bit surprised by this, I expected I'd be able to rally myself to post more than I did.
*twitches*
Sarag
Sarag
Goon
Sarag
Goon
Goon

Post Post #920 (ISO) » Tue Feb 23, 2010 2:25 pm

Post by Sarag »

Yeah the deadline rule is fine. It shouldn't ever come up, but you need the deadline to be meaningful for town. Locking the thread doesn't force the gun bearer to make a decision
now

Actually maybe these kind of games should have shorter deadlines. Although I think 3 weeks is too long in normal games anyway.
*twitches*
HackerHuck
HackerHuck
Mafia Scum
HackerHuck
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #921 (ISO) » Tue Feb 23, 2010 5:05 pm

Post by HackerHuck »

Sarag wrote:Yeah the deadline rule is fine. It shouldn't ever come up, but you need the deadline to be meaningful for town. Locking the thread doesn't force the gun bearer to make a decision
now

Actually maybe these kind of games should have shorter deadlines. Although I think 3 weeks is too long in normal games anyway.
I actually agree with the shorter deadline too. I know that I relied too much on having the deadline, when I should have shot sooner.

As an aside, I'm finding that the site now seems to have more set deadlines than I recall and that players are usually waiting right up until deadline to make their lynch. I much prefer the "set a deadline when conversation isn't going anywhere" approach.
Yosarian2
Yosarian2
(shrug)
Yosarian2
(shrug)
(shrug)

Post Post #922 (ISO) » Tue Feb 23, 2010 5:08 pm

Post by Yosarian2 »

HackerHuck wrote: As an aside, I'm finding that the site now seems to have more set deadlines than I recall and that players are usually waiting right up until deadline to make their lynch. I much prefer the "set a deadline when conversation isn't going anywhere" approach.
IMHO, the cause and effect went the other way. Everyone started waiting until deadline to do anything, so mods started having set deadlines so the game didn't drag so much.
Sarag
Sarag
Goon
Sarag
Goon
Goon

Post Post #923 (ISO) » Wed Feb 24, 2010 4:45 pm

Post by Sarag »

Does anyone know what happened to Xyl?
*twitches*
Elmo
Elmo
Mafia Scum
Elmo
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #924 (ISO) » Wed Feb 24, 2010 5:28 pm

Post by Elmo »

I do not. Best I know, he disappeared into thin air. :(

Return to “Completed Mini Theme Games”