The New Set-Up Review Thread

This forum is for discussion related to the game.
AlmasterGM
AlmasterGM
Mafia Scum
AlmasterGM
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #1075 (ISO) » Mon Mar 01, 2010 5:24 pm

Post by AlmasterGM »

Hey everyone, my first game as a mod is approaching the top of the mini normal queue and I'd like to get it reviewed to make sure everything runs smoothly. If you'd be willing to donate some of your time, please send me a PM.

Thanks in advance!

Many thanks to SpyreX, mykonian, and MichelSableheart for the reviews. Also thanks to Adel for putting in a good word for me!
Last edited by AlmasterGM on Tue Mar 02, 2010 6:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
Adel
Adel
Crystalline Logick
Adel
Crystalline Logick
Crystalline Logick

Post Post #1076 (ISO) » Mon Mar 01, 2010 5:45 pm

Post by Adel »

Adel wrote:AlmasterGM sent me a very polite and professional PM asking for a review. Unfortunetly I don't have the time to do a review anymore.

I hope someone else helps him out!
AlmasterGM wrote:Hey everyone, my first game as a mod is approaching the top of the mini normal queue and I'd like to get it reviewed to make sure everything runs smoothly. If you'd be willing to donate some of your time, please send me a PM.

Thanks in advance!
If I still have any good karma left, I would like to use it to get him a good review.
bouncy.bouncy
bouncy.bouncy
Goon
bouncy.bouncy
Goon
Goon

Post Post #1077 (ISO) » Tue Mar 02, 2010 11:45 am

Post by bouncy.bouncy »

Obviously I can't (and won't) mod this for a few months at the very least, but I've drafted a setup about which I would really appreciate hearing somebody's opinions on plausibility and balancing.

It's semi-open (partially based on random--my hope is that it could be played repeatedly), intended for large theme with a possibility of playing as a mini theme. Don't be surprised if it seems badly broken at first, but I hope that simply changing numbers and percentages can get that completely sorted out.
:D
thanks mykonian
Last edited by bouncy.bouncy on Wed Mar 03, 2010 10:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
mykonian
mykonian
Frisian Shoulder-Demon
mykonian
Frisian Shoulder-Demon
Frisian Shoulder-Demon

Post Post #1078 (ISO) » Wed Mar 03, 2010 7:00 am

Post by mykonian »

help! I have a setup and I don't know if it is balanced!

thank you ElectricBadger!
Surrender, imagine and of course wear something nice.
SpyreX
SpyreX
POWERFUL WIZARD
SpyreX
POWERFUL WIZARD
POWERFUL WIZARD

Post Post #1079 (ISO) » Thu Mar 04, 2010 11:19 am

Post by SpyreX »

I think its time for me to run Star Control II, Part II.

Which means I'm probably going to need a couple reviewers/brainstormers - this isn't a finished product so there's going to be a lot of back and forth.

Please PM me if interested!
Show
I always lynch scum... sometimes they're just not mafia. :P

Town: (49-47-1)
Scum: (23-11)
Third Party: (2-0)
Proud member of BaM
Budja
Budja
Mafia Scum
Budja
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #1080 (ISO) » Mon Mar 08, 2010 3:13 pm

Post by Budja »

Budja wrote:Looking for a second reviewer and/or backup-mod for
Rapture Mafia

Large theme game based on the setting of Bioshock with a point-based purchasing system for powers using "ADAM".
Pretty much complete but needs to be checked for any issues that may have being missed.
Still need this ^.

Willing to cross-review for anyone if you like.

Thanks you Jahudo and Percy.
Last edited by Budja on Fri Mar 12, 2010 11:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
Jahudo
Jahudo
Mafia Scum
Jahudo
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #1081 (ISO) » Wed Mar 10, 2010 6:07 am

Post by Jahudo »

I'm looking for a reviewer for a Large Theme setup called
Townie University

Players (both town and scum) choose majors and earn abilities by completing prerequisites.

I can cross-review.
Max
Max
Mafia Scum
Max
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #1082 (ISO) » Wed Mar 10, 2010 6:13 am

Post by Max »

Max wrote:I want someone to go over:

Generations Mafia
- Each player only has to play one day of the game, and one night. Then their children take over. It will be small numbers of roles but a large number of players. Want someone to look over this as it will probably be my next game.
and
Godmother Mafia
- Basically normal but with a town variation of the godfather, Still in the early days of planning
*Cough*
zoraster
zoraster
He/Him
Disorganized Crime
zoraster
He/Him
Disorganized Crime
Disorganized Crime
Pronoun: He/Him

Post Post #1083 (ISO) » Wed Mar 10, 2010 6:45 pm

Post by zoraster »

I could use someone to check over my upcoming mini-theme game's setup. The concept is (Almost) No Rules Mafia where many of the bog standard rules are taken away. For example, quoting the PM, talking about the game in public in MS, impersonating the mod, using fake accounts, talking in code, etc. is allowed although some with restrictions.

I anticipate a pretty good likelihood of a semi-breaking strategy occurring (giving one side a big leg up), but I think I've managed to mitigate the full-out breaking strategies.

Anyway, I could use a second set of eyes on the role setup itself. Let me know if you'd be willing.

Also, if this intrigues you, the game is full of pre-ins, but I'd love to put you on the queue to replace.
Nobody Special
Nobody Special
Survivor
Nobody Special
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #1084 (ISO) » Thu Mar 11, 2010 8:20 am

Post by Nobody Special »

(Please don't laugh at the Newbie.)

In just under a month, I can Mod. I'm going to go into the Open games queue (primarily as it looks the least intimidating as far as set-up).

Question: If I'm running a standard, open-set-up game, does it need to be reviewed?
Max
Max
Mafia Scum
Max
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #1085 (ISO) » Thu Mar 11, 2010 9:20 am

Post by Max »

No, the set-up you run will be determined by the list-mod (currently Farside22). This means you will be running a set-up that has been guaranteed to be balanced
Mr. Flay
Mr. Flay
Metatron
Mr. Flay
Metatron
Metatron

Post Post #1086 (ISO) » Thu Mar 11, 2010 9:49 am

Post by Mr. Flay »

Nobody Special wrote:(Please don't laugh at the Newbie.)

In just under a month, I can Mod. I'm going to go into the Open games queue (primarily as it looks the least intimidating as far as set-up).

Question: If I'm running a standard, open-set-up game, does it need to be reviewed?
You may be thinking of the Mini Normal Queue, where you can come up with your own setup (within limits). Open Queue allows you to gain experience with the day-to-day work of modding without having to know how to design a setup from start to finish.
Retired as of October 2014.
Tarhalindur
Tarhalindur
Mod Screw
Tarhalindur
Mod Screw
Mod Screw

Post Post #1087 (ISO) » Thu Mar 11, 2010 9:11 pm

Post by Tarhalindur »

Looking for reviewers (and possibly additional backup mods) for
Mind Screw Mafia 4

I hope the general theme will be self-explanatory. Fair warning - this game is unusual even by Mind Screw standards.
User out of ambit.

Error 404: Sanity Not Found
Max
Max
Mafia Scum
Max
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #1088 (ISO) » Fri Mar 12, 2010 8:28 am

Post by Max »

Eh... can you PM me Tar, I don't want role listings just the part where the mind gets screwed. :P
DarkLightA
DarkLightA
Mafia Scum
DarkLightA
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #1089 (ISO) » Tue Mar 16, 2010 5:12 am

Post by DarkLightA »

This has probably been suggested many times before, but anyway:

I'm wondering if it'd been an idea with about 3 mafia and let's say 5-6 townies. The mafia don't know each other, but can send PMs to the mod (possibly ONLY with "Kill: Person") which get redirected, filtered and paraphrased via the mod to the other scum buddies, in a way in which they can kill a person.

The interesting bits here, are of course:
1. Scum don't know if they're on the BW of a scum buddy.
2. Pro-town players can't look for teams, only individuals.

Would this work, or wouldn't it? Opinions?
-"DLA"
TheButtonmen
TheButtonmen
Buns of Steel
TheButtonmen
Buns of Steel
Buns of Steel

Post Post #1090 (ISO) » Tue Mar 16, 2010 5:56 am

Post by TheButtonmen »

Seems terribly unbalanced 3-6 is super rough on town; it also on the mafia side can all come down to how the mod filters and paraphrases the messages. Mods shouldn't be influential on the game IMO.
Routine day with a dirt cheap brush
Then a week goes by and it goes untouched
Then two, then three, then a month
Then the rest of your life, you beat yourself up
mykonian
mykonian
Frisian Shoulder-Demon
mykonian
Frisian Shoulder-Demon
Frisian Shoulder-Demon

Post Post #1091 (ISO) » Tue Mar 16, 2010 6:21 am

Post by mykonian »

yeah, the mod getting involved is a bad idea.

Further, it is also a bad idea to have mafia without an informed minority.
Surrender, imagine and of course wear something nice.
Mr. Flay
Mr. Flay
Metatron
Mr. Flay
Metatron
Metatron

Post Post #1092 (ISO) » Tue Mar 16, 2010 6:21 am

Post by Mr. Flay »

Same problem as the all-SK games; looking for an individual anti-town member is HARD, without the buddying/bussing clues to look for. It tends to end up reducing to "Who would want to NK Joe?" and that's not really enough to work with. I fear it would be really random/tedious.
Retired as of October 2014.
Herodotus
Herodotus
Black Ops
Herodotus
Black Ops
Black Ops

Post Post #1093 (ISO) » Tue Mar 16, 2010 6:23 am

Post by Herodotus »

You might want to play with the numbers a bit more. The ratio doesn't really need to be much different from the numbers for a mountainous setup. But here's a way to resolve NK's without mod subjectivity or randomness:

One member of the mafia should be the 'godfather'. Before the game begins, (or each night) the godfather sends the mod an ordering of all the players. Each living mafia member sends in a "kill consent list" each night. The kill can only be made against a person who is on the lists of all mafia members. The mafia members aren't shown each others' lists. If on any given night, more than one player is on every mafia member's consent list, the earliest of those players on the ordering will be the one killed. If no player is on the kill consent list of every mafia member, there is no night kill.
The obvious strategy is for every mafia member to list all the other players besides themself, but then the mafia can't strategically choose their targets, for instance to eliminate town PR's or clearly innocent players.

Or let one of the mafia members decide the kill, but have it fail when they target a buddy.

But about those interesting bits: would this setup enhance or detract from the fun? I think most people on the site would say that looking for connections between people, etc. are what makes the game worth playing.
Just because a majority of a group of people decide it's okay doesn't mean it's not murder. - Cobblerfone
Herodotus
Herodotus
Black Ops
Herodotus
Black Ops
Black Ops

Post Post #1094 (ISO) » Tue Mar 16, 2010 6:28 am

Post by Herodotus »

Mr. Flay wrote:Same problem as the all-SK games; looking for an individual anti-town member is HARD, without the buddying/bussing clues to look for. It tends to end up reducing to "Who would want to NK Joe?" and that's not really enough to work with. I fear it would be really random/tedious.
I've actually had more luck finding individuals than finding buddies. But my sample size is relatively small. And the individuals were part of informed groups, so the fact that they had buddies may have helped.
Just because a majority of a group of people decide it's okay doesn't mean it's not murder. - Cobblerfone
Hoopla
Hoopla
Hoopla

Post Post #1095 (ISO) » Tue Mar 16, 2010 6:30 am

Post by Hoopla »

DarkLightA wrote:This has probably been suggested many times before, but anyway:

I'm wondering if it'd been an idea with about 3 mafia and let's say 5-6 townies. The mafia don't know each other, but can send PMs to the mod (possibly ONLY with "Kill: Person") which get redirected, filtered and paraphrased via the mod to the other scum buddies, in a way in which they can kill a person.

The interesting bits here, are of course:
1. Scum don't know if they're on the BW of a scum buddy.
2. Pro-town players can't look for teams, only individuals.

Would this work, or wouldn't it? Opinions?
-"DLA"
I think I've seen something similar suggested before, and no doubt the response would have been 'it isn't mafia, because it doesn't have an informed minority.' It feels quite shallow as a concept, though, and makes it more about how well you can survive. Attempting to signal you're mafia discretely seems like another layer, but when you don't know who the others are, you don't know if you're conveying this to a townie or a fellow mafia. It then becomes a risky tactic, potentially drawing suspicion to yourself, which goes against the whole survival thing.

I don't know. It doesn't seem very fun.
Konowa
Konowa
Mafia Scum
Konowa
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #1096 (ISO) » Tue Mar 16, 2010 8:15 am

Post by Konowa »

Looking for reviewers for
Underdark Mafia
(12 player mini theme based on Forgotten Realms series by R. A. Salvatore)

This is still in the initial stages, so there will be a lot of back and forth.

Please PM me if interested.

Edit: Thanks mykonian. If more people are interested, please PM.
How many people long for that "past, simpler, and better world," I wonder,
without ever recognizing the truth that perhaps it was they who were simpler and better,
and not the world about them?
Slaxx
Slaxx
Jack of All Trades
Slaxx
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #1097 (ISO) » Thu Mar 18, 2010 6:16 pm

Post by Slaxx »

Looking for review for a 12 mini theme based off of The Road. Knowledge of the book or movie would be preferred but beggars can't be choosers. I've wanted to do this ever since I found out I could mod a game. I have to mod an open first but I want to get a jump start on perfecting this one. Basically, its not happening for a long time, but I'd like to get it out there and start working on it now.

thank you in advance =)

EDIT: I have a rough setup drawn out already but need help with balance and such. Certain roles might need adjusted, etc.
Pomegranate
Pomegranate
Mafia Scum
Pomegranate
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #1098 (ISO) » Fri Mar 19, 2010 7:34 am

Post by Pomegranate »

I'm planning to run Picto Mafia II in the near future- it will be run as a mini-theme game.

(I will edit the link to the original Picto Mafia into the post when I get it.)

In the game, people may only post pictures, other than votes. I'm looking for reviewers. Please PM me!
Show
"You're a silly Pom. Silly silly girl." -Fate

"I didn't want to use you Pom... I never killed you. I didn't endgame you it was my evil buddies!
Sowwy >_<" -scumFate.

"Pom was on my "I will not kill, and I shall seek vengeance upon the death of them" list." -CSL
Plum
Plum
Mafia Scum
Plum
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #1099 (ISO) » Fri Mar 19, 2010 7:38 am

Post by Plum »

Edit to the above: I'm going to help review/talk over the setup with Pom myself (mostly verbally) as well.

Return to “Mafia Discussion”