Title Fairy Policy Changes

A subforum entirely dedicated to the discussion of titles. The title fairy has carte blanche in this subforum.
Oman
Oman
NK Immune Miller Vig
Oman
NK Immune Miller Vig
NK Immune Miller Vig

Title Fairy Policy Changes

Post Post #0 (isolation #0) » Mon Mar 15, 2010 2:22 pm

Post by Oman »

Over the last few years I've noticed the site changing and evolving, and I've noticed Title Fairy remained relatively stable during that shift. For that reason, (and because a regime change is as good a break as any) I want to review Title Policy from the ground up. Note: I'm not saying that Thok did anything wrong, or that there is a problem with it staying as it is, I just want to make sure if it stays it's because it's relevant.

Once I think I've gathered a general idea on what people want, and which direction I intend to go, I'll be talking to mith about implementing them, so please treat this with a degree of seriousness.

To facilitate discussion I have a few questions:

1. What do you think titles should be? Should they be an expression of each user's individuality? A reward for long standing Scummers who have been active in the community? An entitlement after x years/posts/games?

2. What do you think the Title Fairy should be? A passive administrator to update the first page only? A moderator to ensure a sense of order in thread and titles? A way to make sure crap titles don't get through by his own judgment as an appointed official?

3. What limits/restrictions need to be placed on title recipients? 100 posts is still okay? 1 completed game? 1 year on site? No requirements?

4. What limits/restrictions need to be placed on title suggesters? One suggestion/week? No limit? Bannings from Title Fairy on repeated insulting titles?

5. Should titles be on for the life of the account? Expand on what you feel to appropriate length of time before someone's title would be changed.

6. Should titles be suggest by the community and then "accepted" by the person-in-question (for want of a better term), or should they be thrust upon them regardless of their thoughts on it? Of course, this links with "title fairy moderation of titles" as above.

7. What do you see the Title Fairy Thread as? A spam thread? Srs Title Business? A place where you can post whatever without fear of moderation/incurring wrath?

8. What should a title be given
for
? Mafia games? Scumchat? GD?

9. Where do you want it? Site Ideas, Mafia Discussion, GD?

10. Round it out with anything else you have to add.

Also Reference:
Are Titles Getting Too Ubiquitous? - TSQ
Should Titles Only be for Mafia Games - Split from TF
move 'Title Fairy' thread out of Site Ideas - Dani Banani
Title Fairy Discussion - Elias_the_thief

Thanks for your time with this, it's much appreciated. I also want to let you know if you're not happy with posting here, feel free to PM me your answers if that's an easier choice.

Love,
Your New Fairy.
It's unfortunate that good oral sex excuses bad chemistry. - Korts
Oman
Oman
NK Immune Miller Vig
Oman
NK Immune Miller Vig
NK Immune Miller Vig

Post Post #32 (isolation #1) » Tue Mar 16, 2010 6:54 pm

Post by Oman »

I was thinking about some sort of title review period. A month after a title is approved, a post is made "hey guys, what do we think of X title for Y?" just to check whether or not the title has had staying power over that month.

Any thoughts?
Oman
Oman
NK Immune Miller Vig
Oman
NK Immune Miller Vig
NK Immune Miller Vig

Post Post #37 (isolation #2) » Wed Mar 17, 2010 7:57 pm

Post by Oman »

I'm amused that this thread has 2 pages of (very good) replies. The title fairy thread has six pages of...of title fairy thread.
Oman
Oman
NK Immune Miller Vig
Oman
NK Immune Miller Vig
NK Immune Miller Vig

Post Post #41 (isolation #3) » Fri Mar 19, 2010 5:01 pm

Post by Oman »

I'd been here just over a year when I posted that. But holy crap! What a review of my opinions.

It's interesting how involved I was with Titling back then, and how passionate I was.
Oman
Oman
NK Immune Miller Vig
Oman
NK Immune Miller Vig
NK Immune Miller Vig

Post Post #49 (isolation #4) » Tue Mar 23, 2010 12:08 am

Post by Oman »

Last chance to get in guys. I'm going to start writing my PM to mith now, you have until it finishes (maybe 24hrs) to get in.
Oman
Oman
NK Immune Miller Vig
Oman
NK Immune Miller Vig
NK Immune Miller Vig

Post Post #51 (isolation #5) » Fri Mar 26, 2010 10:03 pm

Post by Oman »

Thanks to everyone for your help. The new policy is up on the wiki. For those of you who want to know, the major changes are:

Abolishment of username puns. I'm sick of these, and it forces clever titles into horrid titles.

Changing minimum requirement from 100 posts to 6 months (was going to be a year, but for now, this should do).

After talking with mith, a bit stronger moderation of clearly insulting titles (not talking about humourous references to embarrassing things, more directed insults) including possible bans if they warrant reporting.

Return to “Player Titles”