Theme Test Market

This forum is for discussion related to the game.
Mr. Flay
Mr. Flay
Metatron
Mr. Flay
Metatron
Metatron

Post Post #700 (ISO) » Sun Oct 23, 2005 3:01 pm

Post by Mr. Flay »

PolarBoy wrote:Dude, totally in to play firefly mafia. I was about to suggest the same thing, though I've done no work on an actual set-up.

I'm considering more than one idea for my next themed mini. Would there be any interest in Isaac Asimov's Foundation? I'm also considering something rather self-explanatory called Lynch or Lose Mafia, which may not be based on sound game design principles, but I'd be willing to run if there was enough interest. Another idea that just popped into my head would be to do something based on the animation of Amy Winfrey, the creator of Muffin Films, Big Bunny, and Making Fiends.
I like both the Amy Winfrey and Foundation ideas (mmmmmm, muffins). but not sure what LoL is about.
Retired as of October 2014.
Talitha
Talitha
Dr. Dead
Talitha
Dr. Dead
Dr. Dead

Post Post #701 (ISO) » Sun Oct 23, 2005 10:07 pm

Post by Talitha »

Dour wanted me to post here to confirm that I'm going to provide the reliability to the Firefly modding team. He will provide the good looks and charm.

I also mentioned that he doesn't
need
to get a certain amount of interest here before starting signups. (If people don't wanna play, the game simply wont fill up).
PolarBoy
PolarBoy
Sir Not-Appearing-In-This-Mafia
PolarBoy

Post Post #702 (ISO) » Mon Oct 24, 2005 7:39 am

Post by PolarBoy »

Dourgrim wrote:Also, how many people need to express interest in an idea here before it can be approved to be run in Theme Park?
No rules concerning the test market, there were just too many threads asking who would be interested in one theme or another. I also used to spend a couple of hours a week updating the front post of this thread to tabulate the interest in different themes in meticulous detail, but I stopped having the time so I removed the outdated statistics and let you all fend for yourselves.
MUNSCM Delegate for the United Kingdom
Check out the [url=http://www.mafiascum.net/cgi-bin/wiki.pl?HomePage]ScumWiki[/url], and while you're at it, check out [url=http://www.mafiascum.net/cgi-bin/wiki.pl?DocumentModeMafia]DocumentModeMafia[/url]
PolarBoy
PolarBoy
PolarBoy

Post Post #703 (ISO) » Mon Oct 24, 2005 7:47 am

Post by PolarBoy »

Mr. Flay wrote:not sure what LoL is about.
I gave you a wiki link and everything.

Anyway, Lynch-Or-Lose mafia is a setup in which the town starts in a Lynch-Or-Lose scenario on day one (this means 5 mafia in a 12 player game, a possibility normally not even considered by a town). It would be a high-pressure game where every move would have extreme risks associated with it, and I'm still working out how I can make it a fun, balanced game, I also wanted to see if there were people who would subject themselves to such an experiment before wasting queue time on a game that, admittedly may be very, very dumb.

Foundation is looking like it may be too big for a mini, I'm still working on it.
MUNSCM Delegate for the United Kingdom
Check out the [url=http://www.mafiascum.net/cgi-bin/wiki.pl?HomePage]ScumWiki[/url], and while you're at it, check out [url=http://www.mafiascum.net/cgi-bin/wiki.pl?DocumentModeMafia]DocumentModeMafia[/url]
Commodore Amazing
Commodore Amazing
Out-booyahed
Commodore Amazing
Out-booyahed
Out-booyahed

Post Post #704 (ISO) » Mon Oct 24, 2005 8:21 am

Post by Commodore Amazing »

I would very much like to be in a Foundation mafia. That sounds amazing.
"So it's time to take some action, boys. It's time to follow me." - Gaston, the Mob Song
This is not me
This is not me
Goon
This is not me
Goon
Goon

Post Post #705 (ISO) » Mon Oct 24, 2005 9:52 am

Post by This is not me »

anyone would be interested of clues mafia?like everyone starts with some clues they can send to others each night.every person also has a looks description what everyone knows and it is catagorized,like 1/3 waering blue capes another 1/3 wearing red capes and final 1/3th wearing green capes and the clues can be like the sk is not wearinga green cape and etc,so you would get a good idea who is who if you would know all the clues..............
The music freak :P
SinisterOverlord
SinisterOverlord
Goon
SinisterOverlord
Goon
Goon

Post Post #706 (ISO) » Sat Nov 12, 2005 5:38 pm

Post by SinisterOverlord »

I'm contemplating a 'Spammer Mafia'. Basically, the idea is that players don't have any specific role to their character (other than mafia/town, and the mafia still have standard mafia powers). However, every night a player is given a night action depending on how much they've posted - the more, the more powerful. I'd utilize a hidden mechanic to determine what sort of action the person gets - so I can do things like count 'I'm here, reading the thread' posts for less and content-ful posts for more.

Obviously, this is intended to encourage a fairly fast-moving game.... thoughts? Would you play this? Do you think it could work?
MUAHAHAHAHA!! AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAA!!!
NanookTheWolf
NanookTheWolf
R.I.P. He trusted mathcam.
NanookTheWolf

Post Post #707 (ISO) » Sat Nov 12, 2005 6:29 pm

Post by NanookTheWolf »

This game actually sounds very interesting SO .. How would you incorporate the scum/any town roles for that matter. Will all the roles be given like normal, and based on posting they could utilize their abilities more? Also, wouldn't this require a no townie game unless you plan to boast a townie with an extra ability if posting is high.
SinisterOverlord
SinisterOverlord
Goon
SinisterOverlord
Goon
Goon

Post Post #708 (ISO) » Sun Nov 13, 2005 2:36 pm

Post by SinisterOverlord »

Well, I was thinking more along the lines of everyone is a townie by default, and roles are determined by posting... Say, for example, it's a three person game - townie A, townie B, and scum C are playing. I've decided the night actions are, in order, cop investigation, doc protect, and none. Now if A ends up the most active, then C, then B, then A gets a cop investigation. C would get the doc protect, but he's scum, so he ignores it. And B, the least active, would get nothing. Just a quick example the sort of thing I was thinking.

But that way could also work... no townies, power of the roles determined by their activity - so, for instance, a cop could go from insane to standard to having their target's alignment revealed in the daybreak post.
MUAHAHAHAHA!! AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAA!!!
BabyJesus
BabyJesus
Not Helpful!
BabyJesus
Not Helpful!
Not Helpful!

Post Post #709 (ISO) » Sun Nov 13, 2005 2:57 pm

Post by BabyJesus »

SinisterOverlord wrote:I'm contemplating a 'Spammer Mafia'. Basically, the idea is that players don't have any specific role to their character (other than mafia/town, and the mafia still have standard mafia powers). However, every night a player is given a night action depending on how much they've posted - the more, the more powerful. I'd utilize a hidden mechanic to determine what sort of action the person gets - so I can do things like count 'I'm here, reading the thread' posts for less and content-ful posts for more.

Obviously, this is intended to encourage a fairly fast-moving game.... thoughts? Would you play this? Do you think it could work?
thats fn awesome
:coo:
Back On The List: Fritzler, Pooky
Solo Town winner of Payola Mafia.
Scum's Best Friend: Nightcow
Thok
Thok
Disgrace to SKs everywhere
Thok

Post Post #710 (ISO) » Sun Nov 13, 2005 3:04 pm

Post by Thok »

SO, have you taken a look at Mini 188 (Hold'em Mafia)? That had a similar mechanic-somebody with a large number of posts could attempt to go all-in against somebody with a smaller number of posts ending the day as an attempted lynch. I do think that your idea is quite different (and possibly better balanced).
Iammars
Iammars
Mers I am not
Iammars
Mers I am not
Mers I am not

Post Post #711 (ISO) » Sun Nov 13, 2005 3:06 pm

Post by Iammars »

BabyJesus wrote:
SinisterOverlord wrote:I'm contemplating a 'Spammer Mafia'. Basically, the idea is that players don't have any specific role to their character (other than mafia/town, and the mafia still have standard mafia powers). However, every night a player is given a night action depending on how much they've posted - the more, the more powerful. I'd utilize a hidden mechanic to determine what sort of action the person gets - so I can do things like count 'I'm here, reading the thread' posts for less and content-ful posts for more.

thats fn awesome
Yeah, but hopefully posts with content will count more than your 15 posts at a time...
"Rolefishing is fishing for someones role. It's called fishing because it requires subtlety. When you grab a shotgun and start firing into the water, thats not fishing." - IH
BabyJesus
BabyJesus
Not Helpful!
BabyJesus
Not Helpful!
Not Helpful!

Post Post #712 (ISO) » Sun Nov 13, 2005 3:59 pm

Post by BabyJesus »

Iammars wrote:
BabyJesus wrote:

thats fn awesome
Yeah, but hopefully posts with content will count more than your 15 posts at a time...
X
:coo:
Back On The List: Fritzler, Pooky
Solo Town winner of Payola Mafia.
Scum's Best Friend: Nightcow
VisMaior
VisMaior
Flip Out!
VisMaior
Flip Out!
Flip Out!

Post Post #713 (ISO) » Sun Nov 13, 2005 7:29 pm

Post by VisMaior »

Yes, and big red Xes should not count at all...
"logic is in the eye of the beholder" -LyingBrian in Eyewitness 1
"correct me if i'm wrong, but isn't the CHANCE of something happening always 50% (either it will or it won't)?" -LyingBrian in BJs Wild West mafia
inHimshallibe
inHimshallibe
SmartyPants
inHimshallibe
SmartyPants
SmartyPants

Post Post #714 (ISO) » Sun Nov 13, 2005 8:19 pm

Post by inHimshallibe »

Owls count triple!
zu_Faul
zu_Faul
Mafia Scum
zu_Faul
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #715 (ISO) » Tue Nov 15, 2005 4:49 am

Post by zu_Faul »

Road To Perdition anyone?
bloojay
bloojay
The Other Blue Meat
bloojay
The Other Blue Meat
The Other Blue Meat

Post Post #716 (ISO) » Fri Nov 18, 2005 2:24 pm

Post by bloojay »

what about....what about....a YTMND mafia? i'm thinking about making one...
mepmuff: I don't know what to make of the Peacebringer news story.
sycko999: Mabye PB is really ugly...-Suburbia Mafia
Iammars
Iammars
Mers I am not
Iammars
Mers I am not
Mers I am not

Post Post #717 (ISO) » Fri Nov 18, 2005 2:30 pm

Post by Iammars »

bloojay wrote:what about....what about....a YTMND mafia? i'm thinking about making one...
Huh?
"Rolefishing is fishing for someones role. It's called fishing because it requires subtlety. When you grab a shotgun and start firing into the water, thats not fishing." - IH
bloojay
bloojay
The Other Blue Meat
bloojay
The Other Blue Meat
The Other Blue Meat

Post Post #718 (ISO) » Fri Nov 18, 2005 2:52 pm

Post by bloojay »

www.ytmnd.com
random website, i've got ideas for it
bloojay
bloojay
The Other Blue Meat
bloojay
The Other Blue Meat
The Other Blue Meat

Post Post #719 (ISO) » Fri Nov 18, 2005 4:43 pm

Post by bloojay »

bloojay wrote:what about....what about....a YTMND mafia? i'm thinking about making one...
scratch that. I've got an idea i've been wanting to finish making since i said i might do it a while back. Internet Mafia.
armlx
armlx
Most JDTay-like
armlx
Most JDTay-like
Most JDTay-like

Post Post #720 (ISO) » Tue Nov 22, 2005 10:46 am

Post by armlx »

Would anyone be interested in a Random Mafia? It would be more or less any role I can think of and crazy stuff would happen.
Away Wednesday the 24th through the 31st
TBuG
TBuG
they/them
I win
TBuG
they/them
I win
I win
Pronoun: they/them

Post Post #721 (ISO) » Tue Nov 22, 2005 10:55 am

Post by TBuG »

I'm doing a minitheme made of random roles that pop into my head, but I wonder if people would be more interested in a Deltora Quest Mafia.
rolandofthewhite (5:40:28 PM): It would be weird living with Thesp. All the hookers murdered and skin lying around. :(
Fritzler
Fritzler
More /in than you!
Fritzler
More /in than you!
More /in than you!

Post Post #722 (ISO) » Tue Nov 22, 2005 10:56 am

Post by Fritzler »

Here's random lynch# mafia:

http://www.greylabyrinth.com/discussion ... php?t=8827

Read that. I reccoment posts 180 on.
Surfs up dude.
Seol
Seol
Logical Rampage
Seol
Logical Rampage
Logical Rampage

Post Post #723 (ISO) » Wed Nov 23, 2005 11:39 pm

Post by Seol »

Seol wrote:
Norinel wrote:
Seol wrote:I'm working on a variant I call "Lights Out" Mafia, based on the mechanics of early IRL variants I've read about. The basic twist is that the game doesn't go to night after a lynch, it only goes to night when the town votes "lights out". Dead roles aren't revealed until night falls.

Thoughts?
Well, once there are two confirmed town, they can lynch everyone else and probably win. Once there are more confirmed town than scum, they can lynch everyone else and certainly win.
I'm working on mechanics to deal with that. Possibly a non-role-revelation, but instead only revealing how many scum are left (so true confrimation is harder to achieve), possibly defining the win as only if you're alive at the end (so people won't go along with the mass sacrifice strategy).
OK, I've thought it through and the basic rules changes are as follows:

The win condition for town is "All scum are dead, the town votes no lynch (go to Night), and you are still alive". The win condition for Mafia is "All non-Mafia are dead, and you are still alive".

Roles are not revealed until night falls, meaning the town needs to no-lynch both to check their progress and in order to win.

This makes winning much harder, obviously - very few winners at the end of the game - but it means sacrificial gambits of any kind simply don't work (as if you're dead, you lose, no matter how much good you do in the process - it's no longer a team game in the same way Princeton Mafia is). I think that's enough to makes the game fundamentally balanced.
[i]The hungry maw of Twilight snaps, but shall not have its fill,
Until one man hangs by his neck, by half this curs'd town's will[/i]
Mr Stoofer
Mr Stoofer
Less than scum
Mr Stoofer
Less than scum
Less than scum

Post Post #724 (ISO) » Thu Nov 24, 2005 12:06 am

Post by Mr Stoofer »

I don't like the above suggestion: Mafia is a team game and a requirement that you have to urvive destroys that.

Surely the simpler solution is to have just townies and mafia - that way they can never be confirmed town. Plus it is always preferable to have a simpler set-up with novel mechanics.

Return to “Mafia Discussion”