I would love to discuss food

This forum is for discussion about anything else.
Xine
Goon

Pronoun: She

Post Post #0  (isolation #0)  » Sun Aug 15, 2010 11:07 am

I am responsible for feeding about 80 people a day, and often need new ideas for how to utilize leftovers, and just different sorts of things to mix it up.
For example, I have 4 gallons of leftover pulled pork in the freezer, but I bet my folks are tired of BBQ pulled-pork sandwiches, and Pork Fajitas/enchiladas, does anyone have any memories of comfort foods that may help with this stuff?

also leftover fish...I can only run so many fish cakes, and seafood alfredos, how about fish and olive quiche? does that sound terrible? any other ideas?
It ain't what you don't know that gets you into trouble. It's what you know for sure that just ain't so." - Mark Twain

Xine
Goon

Post Post #3  (isolation #1)  » Sun Aug 15, 2010 11:27 am

Now I am curious, are there more different skittles in other countries? now I want to taste them all side by side

Oso wrote: a lasagna using the pulled pork as one of the layers instead of the more traditional lasagna ingredients?

Probably not too helpful as Pulled Pork does go best in sandwiches :D Hogie Roll+Pulled Pork+Mustard+Layer of Creamy(not vinegar) Coleslaw=Win.

Golden.

what if I made a meat sauce marinara, using pulled pork, and served it over noodles with a garnish of parmesan cheese, would you eat it? If it works as spaghetti, it works for lasagna.

And I think my folks would be giddy to get that exact sandwich rather then the lettuce and tomato on a buttered toasted bun that I usually do.
It ain't what you don't know that gets you into trouble. It's what you know for sure that just ain't so." - Mark Twain

Xine
Goon

Post Post #5  (isolation #2)  » Sun Aug 15, 2010 11:47 am

See, and this is why I started this thread, and also, could I time this to coincide with when I have leftover coleslaw...

Xine
Goon

Post Post #31  (isolation #3)  » Mon Aug 16, 2010 11:14 am

wow! so much great feedback! my mother is up for the weekend, so I don't have time to check into/respond to everything, but I'll do so within a day or 2. one quick thought, Gumbo and fried rice could both be fish based, right? (fish fried rice, hmmm sounds questionable)

Xine
Goon

Post Post #51  (isolation #4)  » Tue Aug 17, 2010 8:11 pm

Thank you Ythill for giving more information about the original question. JD, I hear that we will probably have a wonderful time discussing food.

My workplace is an independent living facility. most of my residents do not have teeth, but do have effective dentures. they get themselves to the dining room and back for meal times. We as a kitchen try to cook the veggies so that they are not entirely mushy, just mostly. not “to the tooth”... more like, “too the gum”

Oh, and hay chef liked the pulled pork with cole slaw idea so much that he is going to run it himself as a main course supper.

to answer your excellent question Oso, The pork sometimes has BBQ, and sometimes not. I freeze it in gallon bags after serving it once. Once I cook it a second time, I throw it away. I have 3 or 4 gallons right now, at least 1 is plain. I think BBQ will work fine in marinara.

A note on that for JT. yes, BBQ pork is fine in fajitas, I make my own BBQ sauce, and am painfully aware that it is mostly ketchup. when I reuse it as fajita meat, I add more tomato product, and plenty of spices, the hint of BBQ flavor ends up getting almost lost, it exist only as a quiet compliment to the caramelized onions peppers and tomato. I am talking slow food here, I stew the meat for many hours.
Also, my pulled pork is not high quality, It takes at least 6 hours of braising to be edible. when I freeze it as the pulled product, it is already soft, but sausage is way more expensive. limited usefulness, yes, why I started this thread. this issue, and many others.

Today I made and froze a large batch of fishcakes, I used tilapia+mahi mahi, I don’t often have mahi-mahi, mostly tilapia, cod, and sole. At this moment I have a pan of left over tilapia from today that I need to process in the next day or 2. I could get away freezing more fish cakes...

More about fish. every Friday I have to serve fish, and It terrifies me, because the first few Fridays were a disaster for me. I have actually pulled off a few good fish dishes lately
here is my recipe idea for this week that I would love some thought on:
Cheep white fish baked in a papaya sauce (leftover from a special event) also leftover from that event is some teriyaki sauce and also fresh ginger that I plan to use along with a little wine. wondering if I should use the mangos, and maybe some fresh coconuts, If I can find them. (I don’t often have these sorts of ingredients on hand...special events fall into the activities budget you see, and as sous chef, it’s my job to use leftovers efficiently before I lose them.) back to the fish, does baked papaya tilapia even sound good?

I could go on, but I'll take a pause now

Xine
Goon

Post Post #55  (isolation #5)  » Wed Aug 18, 2010 10:58 pm

JD, I have roughly 4 hours to put yhe mid-day meal together. (which is the main meal of the day, and called 'dinner', later in the evening we serve 'supper') I have a featured main course, a featured alternate, and a couple other choices I need to have to offer. we have some canned foods around, but not so much that we could withstand a real emergency very long.
where are you located, and how many cooks in your kitchen. and you work for a retirement home? really?

Back to fish, papaya cod it shall be. advice on the sauce, answer yes or no...1 teriaki sauce, 2 coconut flakes, 3 fresh ginger, 4 lemon juice, 5 lime juice, 6 cooking wine(white), 7 other?

I found a stash of mint jelly today, (I don't expect to see any lamb, just chicken, fish, beef and pork,) any ideas what to do with it?

I relly like your ideas shaft, I don't really cook in that style, so it's an area for me to broden my horizens.

Xine
Goon

Post Post #58  (isolation #6)  » Thu Aug 19, 2010 6:56 am

no, I will be baking it, pan frying 70 pieces of fish, just doesnt work. I could use the griddle, but then I can't make that nice pan sauce... and the cod is a funny shape for frying, I don't mind searing off a flat filet, but the cod I get is more of a square (rectangular cube) shape
Thes, By Fond, are you referering to that yummy carmelish flavor packed stain that is created under the meat in the pan? If so I have always heard it refered to as suc (I thinck thats how hou spell it) not helpful for tomorrow, but a great suggestion for a fall back generic friday fish.

thanks bv, one vote for ginger.

hey, if anyone wants to just shout out their 'favorite' foods, I can use that for inspiration too.

one more note. even though this is mostly for my job, I also cook sometimes at home, you know, for people with teeth, and who like a spicier mix. so don't be shy about your imput.
<3 <3 <3

Xine
Goon

Post Post #63  (isolation #7)  » Thu Aug 19, 2010 10:09 pm

ShadowLurker wrote: I disagree that papaya will be good with fish; papaya is very bland and with tilapia which is also pretty bland will probably be too bland....

I'll let you know how it goes, chef gave me the "go ahead"

ShadowLurker wrote:You could also add beans, peppers, onions, etc. and make a pulled pork chili that would be pretty good.

Golden :D
ShadowLurker wrote: Something like hollandaise sauce (easy to make: lemon juice, butter, egg yolks) with something like asparagus would go excellent. Could maybe be bold and somehow use the mint jelly or something like ginger to add a minty feeling to the hollandaise sauce? Actually that sounds like a bad idea maybe not.

I will consider that, I'll try a taster batch as soon as I get the chance

ShadowLurker wrote: Also try steaming the fish with wine, vinegar, soy sauce, ginger, etc.

good idea, I'll put it in the rotation

Xine
Goon

Post Post #65  (isolation #8)  » Thu Aug 19, 2010 10:39 pm

I wonder If i coulde use some of it by deglazing my flat-top...hmmm...things to ponder

Xine
Goon

Post Post #68  (isolation #9)  » Thu Aug 19, 2010 10:51 pm

I do love a hot dog with sourkraut, so it'd be worth a try, I love beets too...mmmmm

Xine
Goon

Post Post #90  (isolation #10)  » Sun Sep 05, 2010 6:33 am

shaft.ed wrote:My parents always make pork and sauerkraut with spetzles for new years dinner. I don't eat sauerkraut at all, but the pork is delicious and its really easy to make. Just brown a pork roast (i like fatty ones, mom gets loin) dump in a bag of sauerkraut and add in a chopped medium onion and apple for flavor and sweetness. I found a spetzle recipe I like better than my Mom's but I made the mistake of telling her about it.

My favorite easy thing to cook is my red pork stew. It's simply 3 parts sugar, 3 parts Soy Sauce, 2 parts Chinese cooking wine, 1 part black vinegar (use balsamic), 1 part ketchup, 1 part water. Just make enough of that to cover your pork and let it go. i usually use country cut ribs, but proper ribs come out the best. It's the best on the second day, and I usually add a handful of zucchini or yellow squash while reheating. Steamed bread dips really well into it. And fried tofu cubes are nice as they soak up the broth.

would you ever serve this with rice, or noodles?

Xine
Goon

Post Post #91  (isolation #11)  » Sun Sep 05, 2010 6:41 am

SFG wrote: Have you tried putting the fish into a casserole type thing like tuna noodle casserole? Just add y'know a basic white sauce and some cheese and noodles and you can whip up a nice, soft, decently flavored casserole with leftover fish.

My #1 dilema with this is the title, my residents don't like "cassarolls" and I think they are catching on to "bakes" If I could give it an appitizing name, that does not implicitly sugest that it is indeed leftover fish, then I could indeed "sell" it. for example, "Seafood Newberg" sounds kinda snazzy, classic, but really, it's a cassaroll

SFG wrote:My mom also suggests that fish chowder with some potatoes and such would work pretty well. The fish is substantial enough not to melt into the soup.

Served in a bread bowl on a wendsday afternoon=win. I'll need some chunks of vegitable...sugestions?

Xine
Goon

Post Post #93  (isolation #12)  » Sun Sep 05, 2010 6:59 am

are salt pepper and peanut butter also available? what cooking fats do you have? I see a few good options for saucy stir fries inthis list. for example Bok-choy+green onion+ginger, or eggplant+peanuts+squash+ginger+tumeric

Xine
Goon

Post Post #95  (isolation #13)  » Sun Sep 05, 2010 7:24 am

I like to make spice blends ahead of time, for example, salt, pepper, tumeric mix to just sprinkle a little on anything. peanut sauces are great, thin it out with a bit of oil, and some other liquids, like vinagar, or just water, add spices (curry, ginger, red pepper flakes, green onion etc) toss it on to your veggies...

Xine
Goon

Post Post #100  (isolation #14)  » Thu Sep 09, 2010 7:04 am

I haven't yet, I might on sat. or next wend I'll let you know if I do, and how it comes out, thanks for the heads up

Xine
Goon

Post Post #102  (isolation #15)  » Mon Sep 13, 2010 4:51 pm

shaft.ed wrote:My favorite easy thing to cook is my red pork stew. It's simply 3 parts sugar, 3 parts Soy Sauce, 2 parts Chinese cooking wine, 1 part black vinegar (use balsamic), 1 part ketchup, 1 part water. Just make enough of that to cover your pork and let it go. i usually use country cut ribs, but proper ribs come out the best. It's the best on the second day, and I usually add a handful of zucchini or yellow squash while reheating. Steamed bread dips really well into it. And fried tofu cubes are nice as they soak up the broth.

How bad would it be to cut back on the sugar, (diabetics you know) I'm busting this out next week. What if I added a bit less sugar, but included honey, and/or pinapple (juice) do you think I could pass it off?

Xine
Goon

Post Post #104  (isolation #16)  » Sat Sep 25, 2010 6:13 pm

SFG, the Chowder was a hit, but did not hold well for the evening meal... oh well. Shaft.ed, I haven't been able to do the stew, we haven't had dark vinagar and cooking wine both available in weeks :(.

Xine
Goon

Post Post #107  (isolation #17)  » Fri Oct 01, 2010 5:53 pm

Oh hey there DH <3

Xine
Goon

Post Post #110  (isolation #18)  » Fri Oct 01, 2010 7:06 pm

I am so annoyed by those single packs in bulk... every Friday...uggg. but it is cheep, and good. a nice solid fish. Takes well to almost any kind of recipe.
just now constructing a recipe for my leftovers. starting with a nice bland lemon dill, baked fish, making patties, which I serve with noodles, and a creamy white sauce over the patty lightly and the noodles generously. Garnished with caramelized onion?, and lemon, of course.
The sauce flavor is where I'm stuck. dill, it would work, but getting old... tarragon, perhaps. +rosemary?
suggestions?

DH, any time your in my town, I'll cook for ya.

Xine
Goon

Post Post #143  (isolation #19)  » Sun Oct 03, 2010 1:09 pm

it does work, you just need vinegar in the water.
I think the safest way for sudo to cook his egg is in the microwave, scrambled or not it cooks up at about one min per egg. if he's telling the truth...about not having any butter or oil...
Hey sudo,
I'll give you an hour long cooking lesson if you let me and Ythill borrow dominion for a week. I'll teach you how to fry eggs, and make mac and cheese from scratch. those were my first lessons, when I was 8...

Xine
Goon

Post Post #144  (isolation #20)  » Sun Oct 03, 2010 1:11 pm

Btw, LOVE the beer battered toast Idea, I'm gonna try that today.

Xine
Goon

Post Post #151  (isolation #21)  » Sun Oct 03, 2010 3:36 pm

Good news, beer battered mustard toast is REALLY good. I grilled it in butter-the real pure stuff, added salt and pepper to the egg, beer, mustard (brown) batter. I made 2 pieces, the first one I had plain, good. (Obi-Wan LOVED it that way) I liked it better topped with a bit of mustard, and washed down with a bit of beer.
The second piece I melted smoked chedar cheese on top, and it didn't need anything.
Sudo: Naked cooking lessons will cost signifigantly more
Shaft: Maybe I'll try that later, but I think I'll also add mustard to the broth.
Oh that was fun :)

Xine
Goon

Post Post #153  (isolation #22)  » Sun Oct 03, 2010 3:41 pm

shaft.ed wrote:yeah you could melt smoked cheddar on anything, and I'd probably eat it.

:oops:

Xine
Goon

Post Post #178  (isolation #23)  » Mon Oct 04, 2010 9:56 am

timers are great. I will often set a timer for one min or two, just to avoid that

Xine
Goon

Post Post #180  (isolation #24)  » Sat Oct 09, 2010 11:14 pm

So on a somewhat on topic note, I've got a new job. I will be handling a mostly set menu that involves fresh local and organic ingredients, home made sauces, dressings, even granola. I am so very happy, and you should all be happy for me. :D

Also, Sudo cooked remarkably edible fried eggs and mac and cheese, so if he ever again claims he cannot cook at all, well, he's lying

Xine
Goon

Post Post #184  (isolation #25)  » Sat Oct 09, 2010 11:37 pm

I liked the French toast too, so did Obi-Wan, I just like to keep some things private, lol

I love my beets roasted. I usually peel them first, then roast them for almost half an hour around 325. after cooking, cooling and slicing them, tossing them in a nicely seasoned light vinaigrette is awesome.

I have never heard of deep fried beets

Xine
Goon

Post Post #190  (isolation #26)  » Sat Oct 16, 2010 5:54 pm

mmmm... love beets

Xine
Goon

Post Post #195  (isolation #27)  » Mon Oct 18, 2010 2:03 pm

aren't the big zucchinis not as good? I heard that when they get oversized it ruins the texture/flavor. also, zucchini is awesome as a raw veggie snack.

Xine
Goon

Post Post #201  (isolation #28)  » Tue Oct 19, 2010 9:21 pm

I don't see wht someone would cook a cucumber, but raw cucumers do well with a thai peanut sauce, in a wrap or salad form.

Xine
Goon

Post Post #202  (isolation #29)  » Tue Oct 19, 2010 9:24 pm

I may have a new work project for disussion soon. It was hinted today that I will be invited to help design the menu for a new location my company may be opening soon.

Xine
Goon

Post Post #215  (isolation #30)  » Thu Oct 21, 2010 9:33 am

oman: sudo was talking about yellow, I was using basic brown, and I'll make sure you have good things toeat while you are here visiting

Xine
Goon

Post Post #218  (isolation #31)  » Fri Oct 22, 2010 12:22 am

twice baked potatoes are good
here's a cool one, take some parmasian cheese, sprinkle it down on a pan, cut the potatoes in half, flat side down on the cheese, then roast. you get a crispy cheesey outside and a yummy flavor throughout

Xine
Goon

Post Post #222  (isolation #32)  » Sat Oct 23, 2010 2:00 am

shaft.ed wrote:
Ythill wrote:
Xine wrote:I may have a new work project for disussion soon. It was hinted today that I will be invited to help design the menu for a new location my company may be opening soon.

She's too humble to brag about where, so I'll do it for her... in the Portland Art Museum. What a gig!

Awesome!

Is it a full dining restaurant, or like a cafe with mostly sandwiches, soups and salads?

It usn't really anything yet, as that the bid had not been officially accepted, but I understand that it will be pannini based menu. so yeah, everyone descibe your dream paninni...

Xine
Goon

Post Post #224  (isolation #33)  » Sat Oct 23, 2010 2:09 am

I'm rather fond of honey dijon

Xine
Goon

Post Post #225  (isolation #34)  » Sat Oct 23, 2010 2:11 am

really I love mustard, such a great food. do you know that mustard is the secret ingrediant in mayonayse

Xine
Goon

Post Post #229  (isolation #35)  » Sat Oct 23, 2010 8:30 pm

DGB: I will give this more thought, but right off the top of my head I would suggest sneaking heathfood into cakes, ie Banana Bread, Carrot cake, apple cake, pumpkin bread. adjust your recipies a little to include more fruit/vegitable and less sugar. I will check my archive and see if I can come up with any really awesome recipies for you.
oh, and if she will take them, soups are great. at the retierment community I worked at for the past year, the daily soup was the primary food for a large number of the residents.

Xine
Goon

Post Post #248  (isolation #36)  » Sun Oct 24, 2010 12:18 pm

you guys rock! now I want like 5 different sandwiches.
JD, you say the water content repels the oil, and would have more to do with a "healthier" fry then the cut of said french fry? So would soaking the french fry cut potatoes overnight in water assisit with this affect? I think it makes them a little crispier too.
Plum, I've been liturally daydreaming about roasted garlic aioli for almost 2 days now, fire foasted Jalapenos sound awesome! I bet they would be great on Zorbleg's sandwich too.

Xine
Goon

Post Post #250  (isolation #37)  » Sun Oct 24, 2010 1:02 pm

very interesting, I had never heard of it, but what a great idea. I'll have to get a jar and start experimenting with it.

Xine
Goon

Post Post #253  (isolation #38)  » Sun Oct 24, 2010 1:10 pm

it does apper from the wiki description to be extreemly nutriant rich. I wonder how it would be as a soup base... I suppose I need to try it before I start thinking of how to use it

Xine
Goon

Post Post #254  (isolation #39)  » Sun Oct 24, 2010 1:11 pm

and if Shaft and Zorb are correct about the flavor, pleasing Oman with food on his visit will be extreemly easy

Xine
Goon

Post Post #256  (isolation #40)  » Sun Oct 24, 2010 1:40 pm

perfect for a chedar beer soup

Xine
Goon

Post Post #301  (isolation #41)  » Wed Oct 27, 2010 12:49 am

Maybe we can shift the argument to proper emulsification technique for aioli. I am trying to get a nice thick...you know, like mayonnaise, and 3/4 way through the batch I keep looking my consistency, and it thins down horribly and then it tries to break. I have kept the sauce together at least but it ends up more runny then I would like.
what really gets me is that half way through adding my oil, it gets so thick I wonder if it's too thick, and then...poof, it's too thin. I wonder if it could be because the wand on my immersion bender is too warm, or maybe I am mixing it too fast, or too slow. JD, I KNOW you have something to say about this.

Xine
Goon

Post Post #307  (isolation #42)  » Wed Oct 27, 2010 9:09 am

too bad
sirdanalot, I am making 4 gallon batches, hand mixing is not happening. I will at least try to keep my eggs at room temp first. that may help, yes it has mustard in it, shaft, I may do a search later and see if I can find it.
but on a good note, I made a BAD ASS oyster and bacon chowder the other day

Xine
Goon

Post Post #312  (isolation #43)  » Thu Oct 28, 2010 10:18 pm

my reasearch did tell me that a traditional Aioli does not have eggs, what I am making is most likely Mayonayse, however, it is so common to call house made mayo, "aioli" that I only just found out the difference... after 10 years as a cook. So rather then debate semantics, I will let you know that my current working hypothosis is that I need more eggs, even though my recipie says otherwise

Xine
Goon

Post Post #316  (isolation #44)  » Fri Oct 29, 2010 9:27 am

sirdanalot, you have no clue about large batch production. I'm sure you are a reasonable home cook, but I assure you that an imersian blender is THE way to make emulicified sauces. (ok, a robocoup works too, if it's a small batch.)

Xine
Goon

Post Post #329  (isolation #45)  » Mon Nov 22, 2010 8:46 pm

I have a new creation. Creamy Pumpkin Chipotle Soup. can anyone guess the secret ingredients?

Xine
Goon

Post Post #331  (isolation #46)  » Mon Nov 22, 2010 8:56 pm

no, I actually don't have an nutmeg in the cubord right now. there is lots of cinamon, but that's not the secret

Xine
Goon

Post Post #334  (isolation #47)  » Mon Nov 22, 2010 9:32 pm

dark choc chips

Xine
Goon

Post Post #338  (isolation #48)  » Tue Nov 23, 2010 9:36 am

Ythill, don't forget to taste that soup, I want your opinion on it. The amount of chocholate chips is so tiny that you cannot taste chocholate, but it is what finally brought the flavors together

Xine
Goon

Post Post #355  (isolation #49)  » Wed Nov 24, 2010 9:24 pm

Cinnamon is also classically a savory spice. It pairs well with honey, which does wonders to brighten the savory flavors, without over-sweetening. just a thought. I think I would avoid pairing Pumpkin with onion, when I did that in my pumpkin soup, it took a long time (and chocolate) to bring the flavors together

Xine
Goon

Post Post #367  (isolation #50)  » Tue Nov 30, 2010 5:13 pm

sirdanilot wrote:Anyone have other ideas what to do with squid?

Throw it at your least favorite person's windshield?

Xine
Goon

Post Post #379  (isolation #51)  » Mon Jan 03, 2011 7:34 pm

So the "aioli" mystery has been solved, I just needed more egg yolk... turns out that a good ratio is one cup of egg yolk per gallon of salad oil. also, I have a new yummy treat invention... "s'mors krispy treats" they seemed to be a hit :D

Xine
Goon

Post Post #381  (isolation #52)  » Mon Jan 03, 2011 7:50 pm

actually, substitute honey graham squares for rice krispes.

did you add any corn starch to your glaze?

Xine
Goon

Post Post #386  (isolation #53)  » Fri Feb 04, 2011 8:13 pm

I spent about 6 weeks where I made nothing but pot pies in the whole foods production kitchen, (Chicken Turkey or Veggie for $5.95 each) very good times, they called me "the pot pie queen"

Xine
Goon

Post Post #388  (isolation #54)  » Fri Feb 04, 2011 10:23 pm

Pie crust is not really as easy as the old saying implies

Xine
Goon

Post Post #390  (isolation #55)  » Fri Feb 04, 2011 10:44 pm

if you have a food processor, and you are willing to cut your butter into cubes, and freeze them, use the pulse function to cut the butter into the flour, also, chill your water on ice before you mesure it out, drizzle it in as you continue to pulse.

or mix your butter in by hand, then chill it compleatly before adding your ice cooled water.

It's been so long since I've made a batch of pie in a smaller quantity then 8, (specifically, outside an industrial kitchen) that I wonder if I still can

Xine
Goon

Post Post #398  (isolation #56)  » Mon Feb 14, 2011 3:20 am

mmmm... that looks good! I'm not sure if there will be panini creation in my near future, but I think we will at least change our menu for the summer. I think the focus will be on lighter dishes that are very quick to prepare.
I've made french galletts before, but I didn't know egypt had a variety cool shit!

Xine
Goon

Post Post #400  (isolation #57)  » Sun Feb 20, 2011 10:47 am

I'll keep that in mind If I ever get to cook for you

Xine
Goon

Post Post #410  (isolation #58)  » Mon Mar 14, 2011 12:14 pm

looks good, but cracked form overcooking. I don't have any problem with cracks, but I have had chefs threaten to rip my thought out for doing that

Xine
Goon

Post Post #413  (isolation #59)  » Mon Mar 14, 2011 12:31 pm

Do you bake it in a water bath? that helps if you can create a REALLY good seal (I usually tightly wrap my cheesecake pan in saran wrap and tin foil) place this in another pan, fill the water level to 1/2 way up the side op the cheesecake pan, and still bake long and low.
another thing that helps, is like with quiche, take it out of the oven while it still jiggles and leave it to finish by after-bake in a relatively warm spot in your kitchen.

Xine
Goon

Post Post #414  (isolation #60)  » Mon Mar 14, 2011 12:34 pm

Or you could top the entire cake with strawberry slices/whip cream, so that nobody sees the cracks :P I've done my share of that

Xine
Goon

Post Post #416  (isolation #61)  » Mon Mar 14, 2011 12:48 pm

Sounds like a perfect smooth top bake was not the primary concern, as the main course takes priority. also, that it's really a presentation thing only. There was no black or dark brown, far from burnt my friend. I would serve it.

Xine
Goon

Post Post #417  (isolation #62)  » Mon Mar 14, 2011 12:52 pm

Lately I've finally learned to get along with salt. Being a Northern California Hippie girl, I have never cooked with much salt. I figured, enough people have "low sodium diets" that it would be proper to under-salt, and make sure the table has a salt shaker.
recently, I've been embracing the fact that cooking with salt improves flavor more then adding salt to the top later.

Xine
Goon

Post Post #429  (isolation #63)  » Wed Mar 16, 2011 8:34 pm

tomorrow morning I am making sweet breads for a catering. Coconut Carrot loaf and cherry strussel muffins, any great recipie suggestion?

Xine
Goon

Post Post #431  (isolation #64)  » Wed Mar 16, 2011 8:37 pm

actual sweet breads, no entrails

Xine
Goon

Post Post #443  (isolation #65)  » Sat Apr 02, 2011 10:05 pm

Beef Brisket coated in a thick sweet and spicy rub, smoked for 15 hours, and then braised in the oven for a few more, shredded and served on a brioche bun with coleslaw. that is all.

Xine
Goon

Post Post #452  (isolation #66)  » Thu Apr 07, 2011 8:27 am

risotto's not hard, but you can't walk away from it, which can be awkward. your recipe does sound awesome, you should come here and make it for me :wink:

Xine
Goon

Post Post #456  (isolation #67)  » Thu Apr 07, 2011 8:55 pm

I have on occasion had to use cottage cheese as a replacement for ricotta. a few pulses in a robo-coup and a little extra salt, tiny pinch of flour or cornstarch, and most people can't tell the difference.

Xine
Goon

Post Post #462  (isolation #68)  » Sat Apr 09, 2011 9:05 pm

I have had good results with marinating chicken in BBQ sauce overnight before slow cooking them (in the sauce) to get proper flavor permeation.

Xine
Goon

Post Post #463  (isolation #69)  » Sat Apr 09, 2011 9:08 pm

Also,
I got a bit of overtime this week.
I think I literally ran at least a mile today, back and forth across my kitchen.
Next week I'm supposed to "sit down and talk" to my boss (business owner) and my Chef.

Xine
Goon

Post Post #466  (isolation #70)  » Sat Apr 16, 2011 8:33 am

good luck

Xine
Goon

Post Post #484  (isolation #71)  » Mon Apr 18, 2011 9:42 pm

raisins in red sauce, really??? Go with simple, penne marinara with...fresh bail...portebella mushrooms....pine nuts...meat...try just one new ingredient at a time

Xine
Goon

Post Post #489  (isolation #72)  » Mon Apr 25, 2011 7:45 pm

I'm not a wiz at greens, but these look like what I would call "mustard greens"
I will teach you the crême fraîche recipe I know...
mix 1 part whole cream with 1 part sour cream. put it in a seal-able container, but leave it vented. next leave it undisturbed on top of the refrigerator for 24 to 48 hours. delicious stuff

Xine
Goon

Post Post #500  (isolation #73)  » Tue Apr 26, 2011 7:19 am

ortolan wrote:
I never seem to see garlic butter for sale at supermarkets/delis unfortunately, even though Lurpak supposedly makes it. I'm guessing I would have to go to an exorbitantly expensive "provedore" to get it.

I will sell you a recipe if that helps

Xine
Goon

Post Post #506  (isolation #74)  » Tue Apr 26, 2011 8:47 pm

bv310 wrote:I've seen someone bake a cake on a barbeque, and one on a dutch oven. They both worked oddly well. Plus with a Dutch Oven, you can always cook it in your backyard/local park.

could you explain the process for this. The only times I've used a Dutch oven , I buried it in coals 2" thick on each side, then packed the top with dirt, and dug it up in an hour or so. I can't imagine that this is ok in your backyard or in a city park?

Xine
Goon

Post Post #523  (isolation #75)  » Sat May 07, 2011 9:15 pm

Ok, I don't remember if I mentioned this or not, but I have learned to get along with the aioli so well that I have been named "The Aioli Queen" so, being sat, and the last day of my work week, I was asked to make 3 batches. after the second batch, aka, 4 1/2 gallons, I realized I had been using fry oil...
what an awful mistake to make on such a perfect day to inquire about a promotion...
obv, I made no such inquiry today. I think I'm gonna have nightmares about this.

Xine
Goon

Post Post #529  (isolation #76)  » Sat Jul 16, 2011 8:27 am

I love figs!!!! isn't it early for figs? where do you live Papa?

Xine
Goon

Post Post #532  (isolation #77)  » Wed Jul 20, 2011 9:55 pm

Just wanted to share with everyone...It's official, I am a Sous Chef!

Xine
Goon

Post Post #541  (isolation #78)  » Mon Jul 25, 2011 1:35 pm

also, it be critical that you use the correct type of rice, or else it just isn't risotto,
thanks Miyu
when I make garlic butter, I chop fresh garlic and mix it with butter.

I've been thinking about a salad, with maple toasted pecans, cranberries, and bacon. I don't want to use balsamic vinagrette, but I do want a robust dressing. any suggestions for dressings of additional toppings?

Xine
Goon

Post Post #544  (isolation #79)  » Mon Jul 25, 2011 2:23 pm

I'm open to a different dried fruit, but only one fruit in the salad, going to run it as a special. I could put a cheese, or... I don't know. I just feel like it should have 5 toppings, including croutons, so I need that one more thing

Xine
Goon

Post Post #555  (isolation #80)  » Fri Jul 29, 2011 7:02 am

one way I thought of to reduce the dairy in Quiche is to increase the quantity of filling veggiies, just make sure you pre cook any veggies you add, or you quiche will come out watery.
If I remember correctly my quiche base recipe was 2 part beaten egg, 1 part milk mix which was half 1/2&1/2, and half 3/4&1/4

Xine
Goon

Post Post #556  (isolation #81)  » Tue Aug 02, 2011 8:00 am

Soup with Chard and lentils...go

[ + ]

Return to General Discussion