I would love to discuss food

This forum is for discussion about anything else.
Oso
Goon

Pronoun: He

Post Post #2  (isolation #0)  » Sun Aug 15, 2010 11:16 am

Can't help with the fish but the pork.

It would be less problematic if it wasn't BBQed but, how about in a casserole? The idea that came to me off the top of my head was baked Mac&Cheese with perhaps a layer of the pork on top (or even on the bottom). Have to be careful of spices in the Mac&Cheese though so as not to conflict with the BBQ.

Um, a lasagna using the pulled pork as one of the layers instead of the more traditional lasagna ingredients?

Probably not too helpful as Pulled Pork does go best in sandwiches :D Hogie Roll+Pulled Pork+Mustard+Layer of Creamy(not vinegar) Coleslaw=Win.
My Uncle always use'ta say, 'You can't get no blood from a turnip.' .... He'd say the same thing about gettin' it from a stone, too.
-
I never said nothin' back to him. You don't want mess with no freak that's searchin' around that hard for blood.

Oso
Goon

Post Post #4  (isolation #1)  » Sun Aug 15, 2010 11:33 am

Xine wrote:what if I made a meat sauce marinara, using pulled pork, and served it over noodles with a garnish of parmesan cheese, would you eat it? If it works as spaghetti, it works for lasagna.

And I think my folks would be giddy to get that exact sandwich rather then the lettuce and tomato on a buttered toasted bun that I usually do.

Yes, I would eat that. Marinara sauce using pulled pork rather than hamburger or Italian Sausage would be tasty I think.

Ugh, I'm not even sure I'd like to consider a pulled pork sandwich using those ingredients :P. Comes from being raised around folks that have roots in the South and Plains States. You'd get tarred and feathered suggesting a BBQ pulled pork sandwich using those ingredients.

[Add On Edit]I think I know what I'm having for dinner tomorrow night or Tuesday now. Would do it tonight except I already have my mouth set for Polish Sausage, Sauerkraut and Boiled Potatoes.
Last edited by Oso on Sun Aug 15, 2010 11:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
My Uncle always use'ta say, 'You can't get no blood from a turnip.' .... He'd say the same thing about gettin' it from a stone, too.
-
I never said nothin' back to him. You don't want mess with no freak that's searchin' around that hard for blood.

Oso
Goon

Post Post #6  (isolation #2)  » Sun Aug 15, 2010 11:49 am

Nice thing about stuff like pulled pork (and other things that can be frozen) is that you can "mix 'n' match" depending on what you have.

The idea about the marinara sauce was good. Also about the coleslaw. Can get two completely different meals based on what you have to go with it.

How about something the lines of a Tuna Casserole, substituting pork for the tuna? Might have to change the spices up a bit and maybe an ingredient or two but I could see something like that working as well.

[Edit]Still on the sandwich theme but a Philly Cheesesteak type sandwich using pork in place of the beef? (I'm assuming that the pork hasn't had the BBQ sauce added yet).
Last edited by Oso on Sun Aug 15, 2010 11:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
-

Oso
Goon

Post Post #10  (isolation #3)  » Sun Aug 15, 2010 12:49 pm

Yes, gumbo is good :)

It seems that no matter what part of the country (or the world) you are in, they all have some sort of stew/soup based dish that really has no recipe. Many people might prefer some ingredients over another but aside from regional ingredients and differences in the way it is spiced, the idea is the same.

One of my favorites, that I latched on to in adulthood, is based around ramen. I love the stuff. You can use that as a base and depending on how you reduce it, it can be either a soup or a stew. And there is no limit on how you can add vegetable, spices, meat and what not and make it taste completely different. All starting from the plain old, ramen soup base.

You can do the same pretty much with any traditional soup/stew base.
-

Oso
Goon

Post Post #38  (isolation #4)  » Tue Aug 17, 2010 1:00 pm

JDodge wrote:..
Oso wrote:It would be less problematic if it wasn't BBQed but, how about in a casserole? The idea that came to me off the top of my head was baked Mac&Cheese with perhaps a layer of the pork on top (or even on the bottom). Have to be careful of spices in the Mac&Cheese though so as not to conflict with the BBQ.

Um, a lasagna using the pulled pork as one of the layers instead of the more traditional lasagna ingredients?

I can only foresee massive textural issues here, especially for the elderly.

That thought crossed my mind as well. I didn't know at that point it was for elderly folks but you are right. My opinion, is that casserole meat should be either small, or at least small chunks. Pulled pork tends to be stringy and you have the possibility of it just messing things up royally. Both texturally and esthetically (when a string of pork grabs part of the casserole and dumps it in your lap).

I guess the basic question there would be in either case is: Does the pork already have the BBQ sauce added? If it does then her options are really pretty severely limited to variations on sandwiches pretty much.

But as far as the meat marinara goes (that Xine suggested) I assumed that the pork would be processed by her a bit further so that you didn't have strings of pork running about in the sauce. That it would be basically substituting that pork for the Italian Sausage in the recipe. Not even that big of a difference either as I believe Italian Sausage is pork to begin with and any real difference would be spice and the fact that there are actually (small) chunks of pork in it rather than pieces of ground pork.
-

Oso
Goon

Post Post #42  (isolation #5)  » Tue Aug 17, 2010 2:25 pm

the two are not interchangeable in any way whatsoever, go away i do not like you

There is a huge difference between pulled pork, which usually comes from a specific cut of meat, and a sausage, which usually comes from the less aesthetically pleasing but edible pieces of meat. Pulled pork is usually mastery of barbequeing a cut of meat; sausages are economical butchery.

Major fail there. While I agree using sausage in a recipe that specifically call for a better type of pork is bad, bad, bad, I don't see that the flip is true. Using a better grade of meat in a recipe that is geared to one being "economically butchered" is not bad. Especially since the type of spices used in Italian Sausage are going to probably be used in the Marinara as well.

Or do you have a problem with using better meat in a recipe that calls for a "economically butchered" one originally?
-

Oso
Goon

Post Post #44  (isolation #6)  » Tue Aug 17, 2010 2:37 pm

Edited out.

Took my own advice and stopped screwing up Xine's Thread.
Last edited by Oso on Tue Aug 17, 2010 2:41 pm, edited 2 times in total.
-

Oso
Goon

Post Post #46  (isolation #7)  » Tue Aug 17, 2010 3:40 pm

The thing here JDodge, is that Xine has 4 gallons (I think she said) of pulled pork. I get the impression that she doesn't want to use it all exclusively in sandwiches. So that leaves her with X amount that she would like to use elsewhere.

The idea of using part of it in a marinara sauce may not be optimal, and may offend your sense of what is optimal in cooking, but it certainly is acceptable, at least in my opinion. The difference between what sausage is used for in marinara sauce is not so great that it can't be overcome or compensated for even if using non-spiced pork.

I think that is where we differ. POV. You are a chef. I am a non-chef. You have a different way of looking at things (and I have an idea we may/may not agree on a lot of them as it pertains to food). My primary purpose to help Xine with her problem. 4 gallons of pulled pork that needs to be used up.
-

Oso
Goon

Post Post #49  (isolation #8)  » Tue Aug 17, 2010 4:05 pm

I agree that it's perfectly usable in said sauce, but it's not in any way the same as a sausage in terms of usage in such an application. The issue is that pulled pork is fairly limited in its usefulness.

There we do agree :D

I'd say sandwiches, fajitas/tacos were mentioned I think, and other dishes like enchiladas and tamales as well. I have always been a big fan of Mexican cooking made with pork or chicken over beef in any case.

I didn't mention either enchiladas or tamales because I'm not really sure how cost/time prohibitive those would be on a scale used to feed 80 people.
-

Oso
Goon

Post Post #67  (isolation #9)  » Thu Aug 19, 2010 10:48 pm

Xine wrote:..
one more note. even though this is mostly for my job, I also cook sometimes at home, you know, for people with teeth, and who like a spicier mix. so don't be shy about your imput.
<3 <3 <3

I have lots of those. But I'll just go with one of my favorites. Easy to make and it is really good I think.

Polish Sausage (although just about any sausage you like works), sauerkraut and plain 'ol boiled potatoes maybe with some beets (pickled or not as you like).

I know it doesn't sound like much but I really like it.
-

Oso
Goon

Post Post #70  (isolation #10)  » Thu Aug 19, 2010 11:03 pm

@Xine, I forgot to mention. If you want it a bit spicier, use a spicy brown mustard on the sausage.
-

Oso
Goon

Post Post #1664  (isolation #11)  » Sat Dec 27, 2014 2:27 pm

In post 1661, Mina wrote:Thanks for the advice! I'll stick to lentils again if I can't find any. :P

By the way, is there a compelling reason to use ghee instead of butter? I know it's supposed to burn less easily and have a different flavour, but does it significantly improve the taste? I'd rather not go out of my way to buy an esoteric ingredient I'll never use again. What about coconut oil?

You don't have to buy any, you can make it

Food Network: Alton Brown
-

Oso
Goon

Post Post #1672  (isolation #12)  » Tue Dec 30, 2014 12:10 pm

Store bought bread, and by that I mean things like Rainbo or the bog standard 'sandwich bread' suck. There is no piece in those loaves that are worth eating in my book unless they are toasted first.

Other breads, the heels are just as good as the slices. My favorite is Sourdough, French Bread style loafs. There is no part of those that isn't good to eat.
-

[ + ]

Return to General Discussion