The I don't play anymore thread

This forum is for discussion related to the game.
Vi
Vi
Professor Paragon
Vi
Professor Paragon
Professor Paragon

Post Post #50 (ISO) » Fri Aug 27, 2010 3:17 pm

Post by Vi »

tealdeer The idiocy isn't going to stop because that's what baseline Mafia just tends to be.
Besides, it's far more effective to learn for oneself how to play Mafia than to try to "teach" them anything.
Everything you say and do matters. People will respond in ways you may never see. May those responses be what you intend.
Mr. Flay
Mr. Flay
Metatron
Mr. Flay
Metatron
Metatron

Post Post #51 (ISO) » Sat Aug 28, 2010 4:45 am

Post by Mr. Flay »

Also, anytime the site DOES "level up" in finding scum, scum also level up. It's always going to be an arms race, and I flat don't believe that the site is "dumb" right now. Are there quirky players? Absolutely. Are there BAD players? Definitely...and always have been. "Stimpy" ring a bell for anybody??

I do think we've had the perennial "all the quirky players have joined all the games they can over the summer" problem, but that's cyclical.
Retired as of October 2014.
Oso
Oso
Goon
Oso
Goon
Goon

Post Post #52 (ISO) » Sat Aug 28, 2010 5:37 am

Post by Oso »

"Murder she wrote" :P

What I think JDodge, Vi and some others have been talking about is "Murder She Wrote". Everyone wants to be a detective and are certain their pet theories of what is happening in any given game is right. It's hard to blast people out of their notions when they think they are right. I know I am that way and I've come up with some whoppers over time.

Instinctive (Gut) players can make intuitive leaps that can be amazing at times and also right. But I'd go so far as to say that 'Gut' players are wrong most of the time unless they use other methods to either validate or invalidate their guts reads. Or their reasoning skills are good enough that the 'gut' read is showing them something that they just haven't found the evidence to back up yet. This is pretty much how I'd classify more than half the players I play with, scum-hunting without a net.

Then there are the numbers crunchers (I fall into that category somewhat). People who try and use past set ups (mini-normal forum is a good example) to predict what is happening in their particular game based on what claims are known at the time. Minimal scum-hunting at this point. Player reads take a back seat to guessing the setup. Only scum hunting done at that point is to determine which players are acting the least scummy if they have (near)identical claims or make a claim that would unbalance the perceived set-up.

Logical players. Rely too much, in my opinion, on traditional tells. One type of player where an "Appeal to Authority" might actually work. Scum hunting consists of finding logical cracks in players play and is a pretty good way of finding them. I've found that the more a player adheres religiously to that style, the harder it is to get them off their reads. Even if the person they are focusing on is obvtown who is using crap logic out of ignorance rather than out of any nefarious design.

And there are many more.

Point to this? I agree with Flay. For an Internet Forum, Mafia Scum is pretty 'smart' as far as the people who come here goes. I've only run into a single forum on a site that compares to the level of education and smartness that I have seen here. (I've visited a lot of them over the years).

The problem you run into with chuckleheads, bad players, ect, ect, is way lower on this site than I've seen on others. Part of the 'dumbing down' I've seen is all on my side. In a game it easy to become dismissive of a person who seems to be working at cross-purposes to you when you both are town and you both know there is almost 100% chance you are town. Some of the disinterest over time could be logged off to a smattering of bad players and VIs but maybe some of that has to do with burn-out, real life and a run of games that just frustrate the hell out of you because you are playing with people who use play styles so different, it's hard to enjoy a game with them in it even if you know you are on the same side but neither is going to give an inch in 'the way they play the game'. Especially if they (or you[and when I say you, I mean me :)]) are not really willing to work with the theories and reads the others have because they, for whatever reason, have to right. It's frustrating as hell.
My Uncle always use'ta say, 'You can't get no blood from a turnip.' .... He'd say the same thing about gettin' it from a stone, too.
-
I never said nothin' back to him. You don't want mess with no freak that's searchin' around that hard for blood.
Super Smash Bros. Fan
Super Smash Bros. Fan
Mafia Scum
Super Smash Bros. Fan
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #53 (ISO) » Sat Aug 28, 2010 6:06 am

Post by Super Smash Bros. Fan »

Mr. Flay wrote:Also, anytime the site DOES "level up" in finding scum, scum also level up.
Prehaps that's why I thought of myself as a really bad player when I first joined the site.
TheLonging
TheLonging
Mafia Scum
TheLonging
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #54 (ISO) » Sat Aug 28, 2010 6:21 am

Post by TheLonging »

I'm just constantly challenging myself to change my playstyle in every game I'm in, as town and scum. I wanna find something that works for BOTH and yet I can easily blend them together. The first time I played mafia I was lurker, and yet I was fairly decent at scumhunting (iirc). When I tried getting more involved I somehow took a dip in my scumhunting ability. It's hard to reinvent myself all the time to help me be better, which is why I think I like modding a whole lot better
Show
Town:
0-1 at MS.net (0-0 offsite)
Scum:
0-0 at MS.net (0-0 offsite)
3rd Party:
0-0 at MS.net (0-0 offsite)
Overall: 0-0 at MS.net (0-0 offsite)

Thestatusquo - and that, ladies and gentlemen, was trolling.
cyberbob - it doesn't count if you're insecure enough about it to have to openly pat yourself on the back
jimfinn
jimfinn
Goon
jimfinn
Goon
Goon

Post Post #55 (ISO) » Sat Aug 28, 2010 9:39 am

Post by jimfinn »

Vi wrote:
Rounding out the pizza pie is a corollary to the first general rule - common wisdom and popular ideas about finding scum usually don't work; in fact they tend to be counterproductive for the team as a whole.

Adding the delicious pepperonis on top of this thin crust of your doom
Fawful much?
Welcome to The Minigame Race! A fun challenge of your skills at many, many games. Challenge 1: 9 players remain
http://mafiascum.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=15354
yabbaguy
yabbaguy
(O)ptimized
yabbaguy
(O)ptimized
(O)ptimized

Post Post #56 (ISO) » Sat Aug 28, 2010 12:25 pm

Post by yabbaguy »

Overusing clichés much?

That's one thing that irks me. I hate this damned stupid cliché that is going around that makes me want to scream at you lot through the internet.
yabbaguy ~ Winning without actually winning.

Town: 10-21 | Mafia: 3-4 | Other: 0-1
yGDB
(meta + commentary)

- On reruns at Sens-O-Tape!
Vi
Vi
Professor Paragon
Vi
Professor Paragon
Professor Paragon

Post Post #57 (ISO) » Sat Aug 28, 2010 12:32 pm

Post by Vi »

yabbaguy wrote:Overusing clichés much?

That's one thing that irks me. I hate this damned stupid cliché that is going around that makes me want to scream at you lot through the internet.
It would be really awesome if anyone knew what you were talking about, because it looks like you're mindlessly lashing out at me right now.
Everything you say and do matters. People will respond in ways you may never see. May those responses be what you intend.
Kataphraktoi
Kataphraktoi
Townie
Kataphraktoi
Townie
Townie

Post Post #58 (ISO) » Sat Aug 28, 2010 12:42 pm

Post by Kataphraktoi »

Vi wrote:
yabbaguy wrote:Overusing clichés much?

It would be really awesome if anyone knew what you were talking about, because it looks like you're mindlessly lashing out at me right now.
Is this a two person party or can anyone join? *mindlessly lashes VI*

Actually i hate you a lot less with the new avatar so carry on ;)

My career was over before it began. [/wittyism]
yabbaguy
yabbaguy
(O)ptimized
yabbaguy
(O)ptimized
(O)ptimized

Post Post #59 (ISO) » Sat Aug 28, 2010 1:02 pm

Post by yabbaguy »

omg ur misrepping me!!!!

No, I was talking about jimfinn being the millionth-in-line using the "____ much saying" that quite a few are using to make a point.
yabbaguy ~ Winning without actually winning.

Town: 10-21 | Mafia: 3-4 | Other: 0-1
yGDB
(meta + commentary)

- On reruns at Sens-O-Tape!
Vi
Vi
Professor Paragon
Vi
Professor Paragon
Professor Paragon

Post Post #60 (ISO) » Sat Aug 28, 2010 1:28 pm

Post by Vi »

Kataphraktoi wrote:VI
CSL
CSL
Jack of All Trades
CSL
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #61 (ISO) » Sat Aug 28, 2010 4:11 pm

Post by CSL »

Kata, don't confuse VI with Vi.

VI = Village Idiot. NOT Vi.
Show
"I can't kill my own best friend, especially when I can't do shit at all!" - Tragedy

"
T
H
E
T
I
G
E
R
B
L
O
O
D
L
U
S
T
W
A
S
R
U
N
N
I
N
G
T
H
R
O
U
G
H
M
Y
V
E
I
N
S
" - Amrun

V/LA from Mafia on weekends. Sorry!
JDodge
JDodge
Accept it
JDodge
Accept it
Accept it

Post Post #62 (ISO) » Sun Aug 29, 2010 2:01 am

Post by JDodge »

yabbaguy wrote:
JDodge wrote:I tried a comeback over the past couple of days. Can't take the sheer amount of idiocy present in the site meta at the moment.
Am I an idiot? :(

Besides- if people are being dumb, it's your job (partially) to get back in the games and show them "no you dunces, you've gotta do it [this way]". Even if you get lynched for being a contrarian and a loudmouth, if your side goes on to lose, it's point proven. That's how you do it.
As much as I thank you for the lecture, I see no reason whatsoever to torture myself by reading through pages upon pages of crap in order to see my side lose because they refused to pull their heads out of their asses.
That is not a satisfying conclusion to a game, that is a great way to waste time on pointlessly frustrating pursuits.

UK wrote:Part of the idiocy I've noticed is people refuse to change their styles even when they're proven to suck.

That's probably why JDodge is throwing up his hands at this point.
I could rant about how there is no such thing as a playstyle that sucks ad nauseum, but I'll skip to the actual point and say that the issue is more a general lack of common sense.
Vi wrote:For what it's worth, there ARE "How to be a good Townie" and "How to find scum and get them lynched" articles on the wiki. People may or may not read them, and may or may not forego what's said in them because they believe they have a better way to go about things.
useless indoctrination

Oso is also completely and utterly wrong particularly:
Oso wrote:Scum hunting consists of finding logical cracks in players play and is a pretty good way of finding them.
because mafia is a game of competing motivations and personalities, not chess
stream

ffxiv/speedrunning sometimes/other things?
Vi
Vi
Professor Paragon
Vi
Professor Paragon
Professor Paragon

Post Post #63 (ISO) » Sun Aug 29, 2010 2:23 am

Post by Vi »

JDodge wrote:
UK wrote:Part of the idiocy I've noticed is people refuse to change their styles even when they're proven to suck.

I could rant about how there is no such thing as a playstyle that sucks ad nauseum, but I'll skip to the actual point and say that the issue is more a general lack of common sense.
What about playstyles that either can't work or are not utilized effectively enough by the players themselves to work (due to a lack of common sense)?
Vi wrote:For what it's worth, there ARE "How to be a good Townie" and "How to find scum and get them lynched" articles on the wiki. People may or may not read them, and may or may not forego what's said in them because they believe they have a better way to go about things.
useless indoctrination
I think it would be practical to know what everyone's expectations are before someone starts trying to get away with breaking them. At the very least learn how not to get lynched and how to get someone else lynched.

I see what you're saying and I agree with most of what you're getting at, etc.
UncertainKitten
UncertainKitten
Maid In Japan
UncertainKitten
Maid In Japan
Maid In Japan

Post Post #64 (ISO) » Sun Aug 29, 2010 7:11 am

Post by UncertainKitten »

Vi wrote:What about playstyles that either can't work or are not utilized effectively enough by the players themselves to work (due to a lack of common sense)?
That's more what I meant when I said your style sucks.
"Never have I seen anybody glorify their own lynch."
-StrangerCoug

Internet Mafia
is probably never going to happen. You all probably knew that.
animorpherv1
animorpherv1
Honey Trap
animorpherv1
Honey Trap
Honey Trap

Post Post #65 (ISO) » Sun Aug 29, 2010 7:38 am

Post by animorpherv1 »

Guys, Gurgi lied.
"Animorpherv1's posts are so powerful that prolonged exposure may cause vertigo, nausea, acute tinnitus, and in rare cases, death." - vonflare

"Ani is right 100% of the time" - Alisae
JDodge
JDodge
Accept it
JDodge
Accept it
Accept it

Post Post #66 (ISO) » Sun Aug 29, 2010 7:47 am

Post by JDodge »

Vi wrote:
JDodge wrote:

What about playstyles that either can't work or are not utilized effectively enough by the players themselves to work (due to a lack of common sense)?
The problem still lies with the lack of common sense, so I really fail to see your point.
Vi wrote:
useless indoctrination
I think it would be practical to know what everyone's expectations are before someone starts trying to get away with breaking them. At the very least learn how not to get lynched and how to get someone else lynched.

I see what you're saying and I agree with most of what you're getting at, etc.
The idea that we should have expectations beyond people have a general level of functioning sense going into a game is a bit daft and naive, really. I take issue with the idea that the townie's goal is to not get lynched (the townie's survival is meaningless if you can lynch a scum because of their loss. Survivalism =/= effective town play, because it makes you unwilling to make the necessary waves to push through lynches on your main suspects), or that their goal is to get someone else lynched (vanilla townie goal should be to draw the scum's NK, cop goal should be to survive long enough to reveal effectively, doc should be surviving, etc.). I disagree that either are skills that need to be learned or can be learned from a guide, but that's a discussion for another time (and one of the theory essay-thingies that I have currently stuck in writing hell).
stream

ffxiv/speedrunning sometimes/other things?
Vi
Vi
Professor Paragon
Vi
Professor Paragon
Professor Paragon

Post Post #67 (ISO) » Sun Aug 29, 2010 8:01 am

Post by Vi »

At the very least learn
how
not to get lynched and
how
to get someone else lynched.
Notice that this does not read
At the very least learn not to get lynched and to get someone else lynched.
nor does it read
At the very least learn
when
not to get lynched and
when
to get someone else lynched.
The more polite words we use for people who are unable to avoid getting lynched in ordinary situations and/or cannot voluntarily endanger their suspects are usually based on the American English root "suck".
mykonian
mykonian
Frisian Shoulder-Demon
mykonian
Frisian Shoulder-Demon
Frisian Shoulder-Demon

Post Post #68 (ISO) » Sun Aug 29, 2010 8:16 am

Post by mykonian »

JD wrote:Survivalism =/= effective town play
you
do
listen to me sometimes!
Surrender, imagine and of course wear something nice.
CSL
CSL
Jack of All Trades
CSL
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #69 (ISO) » Tue Sep 14, 2010 12:26 pm

Post by CSL »

CSL wrote:After the games I'm in are over, I'm only going to mod.
This is true now.
Show
"I can't kill my own best friend, especially when I can't do shit at all!" - Tragedy

"
T
H
E
T
I
G
E
R
B
L
O
O
D
L
U
S
T
W
A
S
R
U
N
N
I
N
G
T
H
R
O
U
G
H
M
Y
V
E
I
N
S
" - Amrun

V/LA from Mafia on weekends. Sorry!
Kmd4390
Kmd4390
I lost a bet.
Kmd4390
I lost a bet.
I lost a bet.

Post Post #70 (ISO) » Tue Sep 14, 2010 12:34 pm

Post by Kmd4390 »

I'm debating. Two games left. Do I stay or do I go?
KMD is the coolest dude who ever lost a bet to me - vonflare
SaintKerrigan
SaintKerrigan
Brings Out The Flavour
SaintKerrigan
Brings Out The Flavour
Brings Out The Flavour

Post Post #71 (ISO) » Tue Sep 14, 2010 4:48 pm

Post by SaintKerrigan »

I have currently stopped playing games, and once I run Return to Liten I'm finished modding for awhile as well. I just don't have time or energy anymore to spare for this site.
ALMOST ALWAYS BUSY 9-6 CST WEEKDAYS
VasudeVa
VasudeVa
Mafia Scum
VasudeVa
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #72 (ISO) » Tue Sep 14, 2010 5:59 pm

Post by VasudeVa »

Vi wrote:
Why the hell did I watch that? Here I am innocently lurking an MD thread looking for new ways to catch scum and then I go 'Oh my! Vi posted a link! I should click it!' and then boom I get blasted in the faise with some weird screamo-rap shit which made my face go static for a full four minutes.

I hate you Vi. I want my four minutes back. D=<.
Call me Vas, ;D A little less active than I used to be due to IRL. Hoping to be back up to speed soon-ish!
RayFrost
RayFrost
Survivor
RayFrost
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #73 (ISO) » Tue Sep 14, 2010 6:13 pm

Post by RayFrost »

You clearly have no experience with Vi's daykills, VV... I do, as I've actively gone for them in the past. :wink:
don't you feel silly now?
CSL
CSL
Jack of All Trades
CSL
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #74 (ISO) » Tue Sep 14, 2010 6:30 pm

Post by CSL »

VasudeVa wrote:
Vi wrote:
Why the hell did I watch that? Here I am innocently lurking an MD thread looking for new ways to catch scum and then I go 'Oh my! Vi posted a link! I should click it!' and then boom I get blasted in the faise with some weird screamo-rap shit which made my face go static for a full four minutes.

I hate you Vi. I want my four minutes back. D=<.
L

O

L
Show

"
T
H
E
T
I
G
E
R
B
L
O